FIFA 07 (PS2/XBox/PC) - Current Gen

Jack Bauer said:
No

(You can alter all the stats but not the appearance, apart from adding things like wristbands and other accessories)

Which is quite annoying when they completely get the race of a player wrong, in FIFA07 Deon Burton of Sheffield Wednesday and Jamaica is white, in real life he's slightly black.

Which is doubly annoying as some players who they couldn't be bothered researching are set to "default", i.e. blonde bushy hair and a massive blonde beard. Greenacre at Tranmere looks like a young Father Christmas thanks to EA's researchers.

OPM said:
anyone downloaded the roster update for ps2 allready? it's out allready, pc version to follow in 2-3 days

You automatically download it when you connect online apparently, hopefully it will be shared via Xport for those who don't connect online?

Still loving it personally... The online mode shows up PES's online mode completely. Fantastic stuff, although the hardest difficulty level really, really needs unlocking for single-player (come on FIFA hackers, get to it).

You can edit other team lineups in their entireity Nick, yes.

Right, played this all last night. I'm neither a PES fanboy or a FIFA fan - I think both are good games but:

Jack Bauer - how can you say that Konami churn out the same game every year when FIFA just seem to cover up a mediocre football game with flashy graphics and a fantastic license? I got bored of this game after 2hours to be honest. Shooting is so easy: Take the ball into the opponents half, pass it left (or right) to an attacking midfielder, tap shoot and the ball floats into the goal like a plastic bag. It still doesn't feel like real football. It's a great game for gamers who want a quick bash at a footy game online or against their mates but AGAIN this FIFA has NO depth. They never will make it feel right until the Pro Evo programmers get together with EA and they all work together. Leave the playability side to the PES guys, because they know what they are doing. I am yet to play PES 6 so I will be critical of that title if it dissapoints believe me! I agree it gets annoying playing in 'fantasy leagues' such as the Master League but the fact is that a football game should let the football do the talking, not leagues or a players' hairstyle! They are MINOR things.

I would give this 7/10. Still doesn't feel like real football but a good arcade game.

I completely agree with you mate, but still this is a GOOD football game, but nowhere near PES/WE in terms of gameplay.

Yes it is a good football game, EA have made some improvements but it is going to be fun for another week or so I think - there just ISN'T enough depth.

El Diego said:
Yes it is a good football game, EA have made some improvements but it is going to be fun for another week or so I think - there just ISN'T enough depth.
What you regard as "depth" I don't. I've said it a million times, I wouldn't buy a new Splinter Cell game if the game had the same levels, the same characters, the same graphics, everything EXACTLY 100% the same, just because the character moves more freely and "when he shoots it's really realistic". I also wouldn't buy (my favourite game of all time, and a game I have played once a day for over a year solid) Football Manager, if it only had a "master league", or no lower-leagues in any country. I bought WE10 and I was as enthusiastic as anyone. Less than a month later it never saw the light of day again. I took it out the box, "wow, it does feel more realistic" - so what's left to do that I haven't done before? Um... Nothing. Oh, beg your pardon - world cup qualification. WOWWW. It's not like you could have done that before by creating a custom tournament, right? Oh wait... Yeah you could.

The gameplay of FIFA isn't up to Pro Evo's level, fair enough, but online (and in multiplayer) the game is so much more free that it's actually a brilliant competition of who has the best footballing knowledge. Also, there's plenty to do in single player. Yeah, the difficulty level is a problem, admittedly. Six-star in Pro Evo, I get tonked, World Class in FIFA and I can win 4-0 if I apply myself. But at least there's a single player game worth speaking of. Pro Evo's single-player experience is flat. And that's being polite; it might as well not exist. THIS IS WHERE I WANT DEPTH. A supply of things to do. Not a choice of master league or nothing (and that is the only choice you have if you want a career with transfers etc).

EA could fix the difficulty level with a patch (they won't, but they could) - to fix PES6 they need to rip every single competition out and start from scratch, employ more people to research more teams so you're not so crippled for choice... Or even just add 200 blank teams so we don't have to "delete" a team (like Konami love doing so much). And Konami won't do any of that. They're making it for the Japs, who love fantasy. They're not making it for the rest of the world.

I'd rather play a game with more flaws than the other, that has an endless amount of things to do (and is catching up faster than ever before on it's competitors). I don't want to play Pro Evo 1 with patched gameplay for the umpteenth year in a row. And sorry, but that is all it is.

Last edited:
Jack Bauer said:
Soon after this photo was taken, the eagle escaped, pecked out the eyes of the nervous-looking bird handler, and attacked the two players. The players then announced their retirement from football to play (and sponsor) all future FIFA products instead.

:lmao:

Class

I wouldn't buy a new Splinter Cell game if the game had the same levels, the same characters, the same graphics, everything EXACTLY 100% the same, just because the character moves more freely and "when he shoots it's really realistic".

But FIFA/PES are FOOTBALL games! Bad example. :lol:

The gameplay of FIFA isn't up to Pro Evo's level, fair enough

You have already lost your argument here ^. Gameplay is what makes a brilliant game, not extra licenses or more stadia. FIFA is great at first and it 'wows' us with it's presentation - but after you have cut through the tasty pastry lays luke-warm, undercooked meat in the pie.

People still play PES5 today (I know I do). I don't touch my copy of FIFA 06 - that speaks volumes. If a company can come out and bring an even better football game, I would be the first to throw PES in the bin. But there isn't a better football game and intelligent gamers know this.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm probably a little more open minded cuz I'm one of the few people who loves PES but always had a soft spot for FIFA. As a matter of fact, I even enjoyed the 2 FIFAs before this too (05 & 06). So I think it was kinda natural for me to like this new FIFA cuz I didnt really hate the last few.
I've played FIFA07 quite a bit and I'm not gonna say I'm disappointed cuz EA have done an amazing job with it. Jack Bauer more or less covered all the reasons why I like this game. But something still seems to be missing that PES gives you. I spent a good few minutes trying figure out what exactly is the problem with this game but I couldnt put my finger on it.
It doesnt really have anything to do with the animations, or the graphics, the licences, etc cuz if it was, we could have easily declared a winner in this debate.
It was after I turned FIFA off and went back to WE10 that I realised what the problem was. FIFA can only be played in one way. If you had two players who had the exact same strategy, wing play for example, watching them play would probably look exactly the same.
Konami on the other hand did something amazing that not many people picked up on. PES/WE allows you to express yourself in the game like FIFA cant. I'm not sure exactly why this is but if a bunch of my mates recorded a few games of PES in avi format, I'm pretty confident I could watch it and match the gameplay to each one of my friends.
I remember playing FIFA06:RTWC online and every opponent kinda felt the same but with different difficulties. But when I played PES5 online, it was amazing cuz EVERYONE had their own style and variations.
Which is why IMO, playing and practicing on PES is more of an art compared to FIFA.

And before some smartarse tries to start another flame war (:roll:), let me make clear that this is my OPINION.

El Diego said:
But FIFA/PES are FOOTBALL games! Bad example. :lol:

You have already lost your argument here ^. Gameplay is what makes a brilliant game, not extra licenses or more stadia. FIFA is great at first and it 'wows' us with it's presentation - but after you have cut through the tasty pastry lays luke-warm, undercooked meat in the pie.

People still play PES5 today (I know I do). I don't touch my copy of FIFA 06 - that speaks volumes. If a company can come out and bring an even better football game, I would be the first to throw PES in the bin. But there isn't a better football game and intelligent gamers know this.
It wasn't a bad example (and neither was the Football Manager one), as you can play Splinter Cell in multiplayer and that's the only thing that THE VAST MAJORITY of this forum play Pro Evo for.

And sorry, but I've not lost any argument; this isn't an argument. This is a difference of opinion. My personal opinion will not change because I have had a LOT fun on FIFA, I have had NO fun on PES for a long time, therefore, I do not want to play it any longer. The things that I want to see changed, are clearly never going to be changed, and the only way I am going to have fun on anything with PES's gameplay in the future will be when another company successfully clones their gameplay and adds a variety of new features, competitions, leagues and teams.

I resent that you're implying that I'm not intelligent; I don't come on here saying "pes is shit". My opinions consist of more than five words, without using the word "shit" and are as valid as the next man's.

Just because I don't want to play the same game I played three years ago, five years ago, eight years ago, but with players that move more freely, doesn't mean I'm of the intelligence of a troll.

I envy all of those who can play PES and not give a toss about playing the same matches they've been playing since they bought a PlayStation. But I can't do that. I want something else.

Jack Bauer said:
I envy all of those who can play PES and not give a toss about playing the same matches they've been playing since they bought a PlayStation. But I can't do that. I want something else.
So bascially you want to like PES for the sake of it but cant?

Jack you contradict yourself - what exactly does FIFA offer every match that is new!? You have already ADMITTED that PES has better gameplay! :lol:

El Diego said:
Jack you contradict yourself - what exactly does FIFA offer every match that is new!? You have already ADMITTED that PES has better gameplay! :lol:
I'm excited when I do a killer pass. When I control the possession. When I score a goal. The exact same things as in PES, therefore I enjoy just as much - but ON TOP OF THAT, I can do it with teams I've not done it with before, in competitions I've not won before. I do not understand the motivation for winning on Pro Evo when you've done it with all of the same teams years ago. And in the master league, there's no threat. You don't lose your job, and not just that, but the whole structure is boring. The game bores me to death. But I'm not arguing with those who still enjoy the game.

RuneEdge said:
So bascially you want to like PES for the sake of it but cant?
I want to like PES because I realise there's portions of the games that are better than FIFA. The gameplay is better overall, but the gameplay in FIFA is still better in places. Passing in FIFA is wonderful, without having 92 men pressurising you and stopping you from playing a realistic game of football. I miss some of the gameplay elements of PES, but I went to play WE10 before, and after two minutes of the on-rails movement and the press press press style of the opposition, I just turned it off. It's not football to me, sorry.

The areas of the game that need improvement could well be improved on the 360 version - they've already said the difficulty level is reworked, and if that's the case, and the physics are improved (which the videos seem to show), then I won't be able to fault the game.

El Diego said:
You have already ADMITTED that PES has better gameplay! :lol:
Did you even read his post? This isnt an arguement. If it was, I'm pretty sure more people would support PES over FIFA.
All he cares about (and everyone else should too!) is whether or not he's having fun. And FIFA right now brings him more joy than PES. Thats all that matters cuz thats the whole point in playing video games in the first place.

That's fair enough Jack - someone has got to enjoy FIFA! I just don't see how winning a match in FIFA feels different whether you play as Real Madrid or Watford, it all feels so samey. The ball physics are AWFUL. Crossing feels ROBOTIC and the all of the goalkeepers play the same way. I am going to play this again later this evening but I don't hold much hope - PES5 is winking at me and I usually come round to her beautiful smile. If you don't like 'fake kits' then play as a licensed team - does it matter that much?

El Diego said:
That's fair enough Jack - someone has got to enjoy FIFA! I just don't see how winning a match in FIFA feels different whether you play as Real Madrid or Watford, it all feels so samey.
Its because the difference in the team's abilities are much more clear in FIFA. Watford actually ARE a lot harder to win with compared to Madrid.
In PES, if you're good with one team, you're usually good with any other team.

El Diego said:
That's fair enough Jack - someone has got to enjoy FIFA! I just don't see how winning a match in FIFA feels different whether you play as Real Madrid or Watford, it all feels so samey. The ball physics are AWFUL. Crossing feels ROBOTIC and the all of the goalkeepers play the same way. I am going to play this again later this evening but I don't hold much hope - PES5 is winking at me and I usually come round to her beautiful smile. If you don't like 'fake kits' then play as a licensed team - does it matter that much?
What the fuck? Do you think every person who likes FIFA gives a flying fuck about hairstyles and kits??

I've already said, it's about playing as different TEAMS for me. Not because of the way they look!! It's about different challenges. If I play Football Manager, and I start unemployed, I get a crap team from the start, which makes the game a real challenge. As you progress, you can get offered a job higher up, which makes things easier and unlocks more competitions to you, but means you need to win to keep yourself in a job. Your players change, your tactics have to change, your style has to change. Then, if you're lucky, you can change country, and then EVERY SINGLE TEAM plays differently, meaning everything you knew before has to be discarded and you have to learn all over again.

That's all included in the latest FIFA. I can start off as someone crap, struggle (well, if I play human opposition), have to bring in players to strengthen the team, change jobs, make things harder again, get used to a WHOLE NEW set of players - e.g. when I start with Tranmere, because of Kevin Ellison (left winger), I try and play all balls to him. With a different team, they might have a playmaker who sits deep, their wingers might be awful, they might only have one good striker forcing you to play one up-front, they might have an entirely awful midfield meaning you have even more work cut out for you.

In PES, if you only follow one country's football, you're limited to a maximum of 20 of their teams. You can't change jobs, and even if you start again, I've started again since the first Pro Evo and been every Premiership team. We're not all Premiership fans. Why should I have to compromise just because they can't be arsed taking my ten years' worth of money and hiring researchers to add more teams (and NO they don't need a license to do that if they give them fake names, which again, I DON'T CARE ABOUT, just as long as they're there)?? PES plays the same with every single team, or at the very least, every single English team. Meaning that, as far as I'm concerned, I've "completed" the game 700 times over.

All they've done with all of the money they've got is pay their artists and programmers, give a couple of million to Arsenal and Chelsea (and now Man U) to include their proper kits (which guess what, I don't give a crap about), and pocket the rest for themselves. Sorry but they can get stuffed, they're not seeing a penny more of my money until they make changes I care about.

It's not about the kits. Christ almighty, they could all be wearing curtains as far as I'm concerned (and for the quality of the graphics in FIFA they might as well be).

Last edited:
Sorry, but you've insulted my intelligence more than once, and then you've said all I care about is kits, you've not read anything I've written.

As I've already said, you enjoy your game, and I'll enjoy mine.

Back
Top Bottom