Fallout 3

Re: Fallout 3, Xbox 360, PS3

Thanks for all the info. My mind has been made up, I will see if I can find a copy of the 360 version sometime this week. My hands are so full though. I still haven't finished Dead Space and just got GOW2, not to mention Resistance 2 and soon to be launched COD5 and Lef for Dead. Busy, busy time for gamers, but so little dinero.

jflores, when are we playing fifa online?

jflores, when are we playing fifa online?

We can play tonight if you'd like. I have yet to play online to be honest, especially after hearing about all the cheating and lag problems. We can hook up tonight for a few matches though. I'll convince the wife to take the kids to violin and drum practice tonight(It's my turn to take them but she owes me one).

I'll be on between 6pm and 9pm tonight.

Last edited:

How long does this take to complete ? and is there significant replay value in it ? I'm just trying to figure out how long before 2nd hand versions flood onto the market (like with Uncharted it was about 6 weeks before it was sold en-mass on ebay)...

I can imagine there being a bunch of cheap 2nd hand copies coming soonish as people either get bored and pick up other games or they find it's too big for them and get bored. I have a few friends who have this game and now they're out of the vault and past the scripted A to B parts they're that over blown by the freedom they've done nothing but run around and die a lot and are fed up of it.

How long does this take to complete ? and is there significant replay value in it ? I'm just trying to figure out how long before 2nd hand versions flood onto the market (like with Uncharted it was about 6 weeks before it was sold en-mass on ebay)...

It depends if you do side quests and exploration or not, I'm up to around 55 hours now and I'm still only a small part into the main story, up to level 19 now, spend most of my time doing side quests and exploring :)

I finished the game and liked it but not that much. The quests are quite boring in my opinion, characters lack charisma and the story falls flat and has got no interest at all. My feeling is of an extreme "deja vu".

I can be nitpicking, because I'm starting to rate games just as I did with movies, and I'm bored of the majority, with no innovation, no good plots... This game is big, very big, and does a perfect job in ambiance, walking the wastelands is convincing.

But as I said, I'm tired of the stupidly shallow quests where you do nothing but kill someone or talk to someone. There's no depth in the story at any point. Oh, well, you can be "good" or "bad" but that doesn't change things that much.

I rushed the main story at first because I thought the main plot would be large and thick, and found you can really end the game in 2 days! Even doing most of the sidequests like

slave camps, vamps family, independence declaration, the radio mission, big town, clearing some vaults, everything at rivet city, everything in megaton, killed firing ants, helped boys and girls all around the wasteland, ghost city, etc...

That's it, really. Then, when I found the end of the game (and got truly surprised because I thought I was at 25% of the main story), I reloaded a eraliest gamesave and began doing a lot of side quests more that I found simply by walking around. But the things is they are too simple. Get to point A, kill B / save B / talk to B / find B, report.

It doesn't help that all the "cities" are, at best, 10 people. I find it ridiculous. I mean, there's not one proper "city" in the game. Don't tell me it's because of the nuclear wars, etc... I think it's ridiculous don't having proper ammounts of people. That makes the game seem flat and simple when it shouldn't be.

Having played previous Fallouts, I'm still undecided about this one. It's technically well done, it's big and it's got its good amount of brilliance, but the story, the characters and the quests were deceiving to me. I know I will be in minority here, but that was my opinion!

(A last thought: even though I didn't liked it as I thought, I realise I've put more than 50 hours in this game already, so it's not a "bad" review here, it's simply that at the end, the game has fallen short in many aspects...)

That seems quite a popular opinion of people when they've completed it. The general view is that the game feels great to play, but it's a letdown when it's finished and you feel there should be more to it.

Yeah, it is kind of annoying. Apparantly the PC version has a mod to increase it,

Tbh Drekkerd's opinion is exactly what I thought about Mass Effect, that's why Im still holding off on this. Although I love the setting so will want to play it for myself anyway at some point.

I finished the game and liked it but not that much. The quests are quite boring in my opinion, characters lack charisma and the story falls flat and has got no interest at all. My feeling is of an extreme "deja vu".

I can be nitpicking, because I'm starting to rate games just as I did with movies, and I'm bored of the majority, with no innovation, no good plots... This game is big, very big, and does a perfect job in ambiance, walking the wastelands is convincing.

But as I said, I'm tired of the stupidly shallow quests where you do nothing but kill someone or talk to someone. There's no depth in the story at any point. Oh, well, you can be "good" or "bad" but that doesn't change things that much.

I rushed the main story at first because I thought the main plot would be large and thick, and found you can really end the game in 2 days! Even doing most of the sidequests like

slave camps, vamps family, independence declaration, the radio mission, big town, clearing some vaults, everything at rivet city, everything in megaton, killed firing ants, helped boys and girls all around the wasteland, ghost city, etc...

That's it, really. Then, when I found the end of the game (and got truly surprised because I thought I was at 25% of the main story), I reloaded a eraliest gamesave and began doing a lot of side quests more that I found simply by walking around. But the things is they are too simple. Get to point A, kill B / save B / talk to B / find B, report.

It doesn't help that all the "cities" are, at best, 10 people. I find it ridiculous. I mean, there's not one proper "city" in the game. Don't tell me it's because of the nuclear wars, etc... I think it's ridiculous don't having proper ammounts of people. That makes the game seem flat and simple when it shouldn't be.

Having played previous Fallouts, I'm still undecided about this one. It's technically well done, it's big and it's got its good amount of brilliance, but the story, the characters and the quests were deceiving to me. I know I will be in minority here, but that was my opinion!

(A last thought: even though I didn't liked it as I thought, I realise I've put more than 50 hours in this game already, so it's not a "bad" review here, it's simply that at the end, the game has fallen short in many aspects...)

I feel the same mate. Very good game technically, but it lacks more depth and story. Huge sandbox with lots of potential that isn't used to it's fullest.

Im wondering why these games (MassEffect & this (for some)) seem to give the impression of lacking in story and depth. I mean its an RPG so surely that's the whole point of the game, story and player development? Or is it that games like Bioshock/HL have a similar sized story but its placed in a far more compact gamesize?

I think it's a matter of investment and formula. They have a winning formula in terms of appraisal and sales and they will continue milking the cow just as long as sales go on (appraisal is not as important).

More depth to the story / characters involve a lot more resources spent on writers, game designers, voice acting, testing... So I guess the cost of it is exponential and they have a limited budget and prefer to spend more on the appearance of it than the in the real meat of the game.

But that's exactly how hollywood works. And it's been working very well until now they say.

Like Oblivion before it, Fallout 3 is a great game. And like Oblivion before it, Fallout 3 launched fundamentally broken. And broken across all three of the game's platforms. If you're lucky, all you've had to contend with are crashes, lock-ups and graphical glitches. If you're unlucky, like me, you've been unable to even play the game. Well, a few weeks of silence on Bethesda's part has been broken, with a comment on the game's support forums revealing that the company "are currently working on a patch for all three platforms". With the amount of problems in the game that was bound to happen eventually, of course, but it's nice to hear something from the guys on the subject. We were starting to think you didn't care!

http://www.bethsoft.com/bgsforums/index.php?showtopic=913399

And broken across all three of the game's platforms. If you're lucky, all you've had to contend with are crashes, lock-ups and graphical glitches. If you're unlucky, like me, you've been unable to even play the game.

Bollocks, think the wife and I have had 1 freeze each, and considering we're totalling 110 hours of play that seems rather good to me.

That said I request the patch allows levelling up beyond level 20, it's waaaay too low IMO, if you spend time on side quests and exploring before plowing into the main story you can level up to 20 really quickly, I think I was up to level 20 before I even went to find my Dad in
Vault 112
which is only about the third "step" in the main quest IIRC.

I've had about 3-4 lockups, think maybe 40~ hours of play.

Just got into Vault 112 and I'm in that black & white virtual reality thing, so annoying and puts me off playing the game.

I've had about 3-4 lockups, think maybe 40~ hours of play.

Just got into Vault 112 and I'm in that black & white virtual reality thing, so annoying and puts me off playing the game.

You're kidding? I find that response quite ridiculous, I thought
Vault 112
was silly fun, broke up the flow of the game to offer something quite different, for the whole 20 minutes it lasts.......

Having to go around speaking to everyone for them to say they don't know where my Dad was :ROLL:

Best bit was chasing after them with the knife, although I thought I'd killed everyone and now I don't know who's left. I assumed I had to kill Betty as techincally she's a resident as well. I attacked her and she blew me up :(

Now I've gotta visit all of the houses looking for this last person who's left.

Having to go around speaking to everyone for them to say they don't know where my Dad was :ROLL:

Best bit was chasing after them with the knife, although I thought I'd killed everyone and now I don't know who's left. I assumed I had to kill Betty as techincally she's a resident as well. I attacked her and she blew me up :(

Now I've gotta visit all of the houses looking for this last person who's left.

It'll show on your radar which direction to go as a quest icon?

Wasn't sure if that was applicable in the area I'm at, I'll have another look later.

Think I'm going to trade this in. Great game and I love it, but just havent got the time to dedicate to it. I prefer the quick in and out (oo-er!) of a game of PES, or some songs on GH, 20 mins of Wii Music, a few rounds of COD.

Shame, but glad I got to experience it!

I've had a lot of NPC's vanish on me - the guy in the water plant has gone - some woman i bumped into when i first left the vault asked me to tell someone to back off or something - ive never been able to find her again after that, shes never home. the scientist in the underground area vanished on me - he's never returned although the quest for him is still active so he has to be alive... but he's no where down there.

I've had 1 load screen hang on me and ive had a few loads between areas drag on and on for a few minutes instead of a few seconds.

-

Apart from that I'm a few steps into the story and I'm still happy wandering around doing nothing - I think once i get past the level where I'm weak and everything is strong and i know where everything is the game might start to show it's flaws to me more. But i've hardly touched this for longer than an hour at a time which might be why im still loving it.

I've had a lot of NPC's vanish on me - the guy in the water plant has gone - some woman i bumped into when i first left the vault asked me to tell someone to back off or something - ive never been able to find her again after that, shes never home. the scientist in the underground area vanished on me - he's never returned although the quest for him is still active so he has to be alive... but he's no where down there.

Yeah the water plant guy never returned for me and I never found his body, I did go back to Megaton once and the old senile dude was dead on the ground, his wife still comes up to me asking if I've seen him, wasn't me love honest!

Think I'm going to trade this in. Great game and I love it, but just havent got the time to dedicate to it. I prefer the quick in and out (oo-er!) of a game of PES, or some songs on GH, 20 mins of Wii Music, a few rounds of COD.

Shame, but glad I got to experience it!

I'm with you on this. I just don't have the time and patience for this looooong quest type games. I hate the back and forth, back and forth side missions crap. It gets too repetitive and stale. The game is definately missing something extra. Graphics and environment are great in this game though, especially the sound of the wind in that huge deserted landscape. Very eerie and sad. It was a good experience but not worth a keeper.

Do you feel that way about Oblivion, just out of interest?

I cannot stand Oblivion, it drives me up the wall (even though I've kept it and I will one day finish it after spending an extra £10 for all of the addons like a total knob), but I love Fallout. Not that I've played it too much, it's one of those games that I don't want to play for fear of finishing it in a week (alá Mirror's Edge, one of my favourite ever games, finishable in 90 minutes).

Do you feel that way about Oblivion, just out of interest?

I cannot stand Oblivion, it drives me up the wall (even though I've kept it and I will one day finish it after spending an extra £10 for all of the addons like a total knob), but I love Fallout. Not that I've played it too much, it's one of those games that I don't want to play for fear of finishing it in a week (alá Mirror's Edge, one of my favourite ever games, finishable in 90 minutes).

Oblivion was a much better game in my opinion. However long as well.

I think Oblivion had many more NPCs so you felt like you were in a big world - where in this game for myself so far, I'm finding the odd person here and there but hardly any areas with loads of people. I guess the masses could be living elsewhere in the world and sods law this games set in a low population area... but still... it lacks quite a bit... and then I'm left thinking 'well where the hell are these raiders and other people living and coming from?'

Back
Top Bottom