ENGLAND thread

Re: England Thread - Euro 2012 Squad Announced

@ Abou,

About as attractive as your avatar....

I've gone 1-0 for France in the office sweepstake.

Ox starting! :D

Starting lineup vs France

------------------Welbeck------------------
----Chamberlain - Ashley Young - Milner----
--------------Parker - Gerrard--------------
Ashley Cole - Lescott - Terry - Glen Johnson

So proud for Danny - Fergie said almost 4 years ago that he'd go to the World Cup in South Africa and everyone said he was mental - turns out he was just a bit off in terms of timing!

Very soft goal to give away. Hart's handling has been questionable so far.

Looked better than I expected in possession.

1-1, a decent result I think.

England look organised and resolute at least, although we lack the control, comfort on the ball, and creativity of the French which saw us pinned back for most of the game. I think Welbeck, Young and Oxlade-Chamberlain give us a bit of energy going forward.

Joe Hart doesn't inspire confidence in me. He is a very good keeper but he spilled the ball far too often today. He's certainly not one of the world's top keepers just yet, despite the hype in the English media.

Ribery is a disgrace with his falling to the floor and play-acting. The French look good though. I expect them to sweep past Sweden and Ukraine.

I thought England handled things pretty well in the first half. Can't say the same about the second, though.

The defence looked solid for the most part, Glen Johnson was a good surprise.

On the other end of the pitch, Welbeck looked capable of keeping the ball in tight situations and his moving was good (until he got tired in the last 15-20 minutes). Young looked interesting in the first half, with that neat through ball at the start, on the other hand, he was isolated almost the whole second half playing as the only man up front which was a bit questionable I reckon.

Parker and Gerrard were decent enough to keep the ball moving, Gerrard not so good when defending, though. Ox-Chamberlain looked sharp and energetic most of the time but Milner, well Milner looked a bit off for the most of the game and ffs, he should have done better when he got 1 on 1 with the keeper.

Oh, and let's not forget Henderson. He looked so impressive, pinging pas... oh wait, he didn't even touch the ball. Shock.

Disciplined defending from England who at times defended with 9 men. It's what we expected from Hodgson's team and it's not a bad idea at all. They did well and allowed France the much bigger share of possession and I think The French completed twice as many passes as England but very little space to create real goal scoring chances.

Solid defensively England then but it reminded me a bit of Croatia vs. Ireland where one team is clearly superior to the other and the less technical team scores a header from a free kick. Difference is, English are better than Irish and in that game, Croatia went on to score 2 more and win it 3-1. Today, the French were better but couldn't break down England enough and conceded a Freekick goal they shouldn't have.

All in all, I think English supporters should be happy. Resolute, organized and disciplined their team was. Gerrard and Parker as most players did well. Ox was a breath of fresh air. Welbeck and Young can play better and I think they will in future games.

PLF

Look, mate, stop all your jibber jabber with your tactical analysis.

It's quite simple:

No England band = good result

:D

True. That was the biggest factor! :D :LOL:

I don't care if we stuck 10 men behind the ball or not, I'm happy with the result. Roy is only 6 weeks into the job and nobody should expect miracles.

But perhaps with a solid base our confidence will grow in the next 2 games, especially with our talisman back for the 3rd game and then maybe we can be a bit more positive.

Bit worried about how tired we looked though.

well Decent defending ... no attacking display... Set piece is really your friends, They didnt select adam johnson and england will pay for it

England lack confidence in attack Ox-Welbeck-young did alright they played inexperience but w/o a leader Rooney would love Ox/young fearless approach. This was a script from interim chelsea cl approach lol.

Yeah, I'll take that.

Everyone expected us to lose and the onus was on the french to win it, we'll see how we cope now in the next game as the pressure will be on us to control the game and win it.

A very organized England side but I just don't see what they'll do when they'll need a result. You don't win a competition by playing it safe.

There was no creativity whatsoever today. They always seem more likely to conceding a goal than scoring one.

Good result for England and a good firtst half. Currently watching thoe other match in the group, Ukraine are actually playing quite good football.
I've been saying for ages that Hart is not as good as most English people think. Very average GK.

Ribery is a very irritating player and once again very selfish.

Good start for England.

Hart is definitely not an average keeper. He's certainly amongst the best out there.

Just because he was a bit shaky out there today does not change that. And he still pulled a great save.

Hart is definitely not an average keeper. He's certainly amongst the best out there.

Just because he was a bit shaky out there today does not change that. And he still pulled a great save.

Nobody has said he is average. He is a very good keeper and I don't think anyone would disagree with that, but he's not at that 'world class' level just yet. He's still young and I'm sure he will get there very soon, but he still seems a little shaky at times.

Gerd said he's average. Not only that but 'very average'.

Couldn't disagree more with him of course. Hart is a very good keeper but yes, too many people have hyped him up to the levels of Buffon and Casillas and Cech when he's not as good or proven as those. He's a very good young GK though just like Lloris and will get even better. At the moment Neuer is definitely better than him.

It's just people love over-reacting. Two good seasons and suddenly Hart is world-class and best and one slightly shaky night (he actually made numerous good saves) and suddenly he's 'very average'

Have to agree with Gerd about Hart, I believe he's average. His form at club level was helped incredibly by the fact Kompany was brilliant last year, his saves in the prem against the lower teams looked good because they were very show boat style.. He hasn't shown that he can be a safe keeper at any point that I have seen against the big names.

Hart is a great keeper, he had a massive part in Man City winning the league last season, he made some really important saves through out the course. If he had got injured at some point I doubt City would have won the league.

Gerd said he's average. Not only that but 'very average'.

Couldn't disagree more with him of course. Hart is a very good keeper but yes, too many people have hyped him up to the levels of Buffon and Casillas and Cech when he's not as good or proven as those. He's a very good young GK though just like Lloris and will get even better. At the moment Neuer is definitely better than him.

It's just people love over-reacting. Two good seasons and suddenly Hart is world-class and best and one slightly shaky night (he actually made numerous good saves) and suddenly he's 'very average'

Sorry, I missed Gerd's comment. Hart is well above average. If you want average look no further than Scott Carson or Ben Foster. I'm pleased that England finally have the 'keeper position nailed down and Hart will only get better, but I think (as others have said) he still has elements of his game to improve upon.

Hart is a great keeper, he had a massive part in Man City winning the league last season, he made some really important saves through out the course. If he had got injured at some point I doubt City would have won the league.

True but only because city lacked a premier league quality keeper to replace him, there's no doubting his ability.. But there's a big difference in being World Class (as many suggest) and being a better than the average premier league keeper, he's been hyped so much because he's England's first keeper capable of making a save for years that he's become untouchable by criticism.

He's a whole class above keepers such as Al Habsi, Bogdan and the like in the prem.
But if I'm honest there are keepers such as Shay Given, Jussi Jaaskelenein (spelt correctly?) and Begovic (on a good day, probably not the best example) who given the chance would be just as good as him but get continually let down by poor defences in front of them; even Szczeny at Arsenal had the ability to match//better Hart, but because of a poor defence he doesn't get the praise he deserves.

In summary, Hart is a good solid keeper capable of doing a good job behind arguably the best collective defensive unit in the premier league (Clichy-Kompany-Lescott-Richards) but put him behind a mediocre defensive unit and I reckon he'd struggle to really be as good as he appears, he cannot as it stands be deserving of the comparisons to Casillas, Buffon and Cech as of yet.

In fairness a lot of his bad points will come with age, no doubt (his decision making for one) and possibly in 3-5 years he could be one of, if not the best in the world.

Back
Top Bottom