ENGLAND thread

Re: England Thread - Euro 2012 Squad Announced

I think he was wrong-footed but yeah weird goal and not one Sweden and Isaksson will be happy to concede.

It was like mid-table or two relegation battlers going at it. Two physical teams but not a lot of technique.

That 1st goal by England was BEAUTIFUL though! That's what Liverpool should have more of. Perfect deliver from Gerrard, PERFECT jump/header from Carroll. Then Mellberg rolled back the time and took matters into his own hands. lol

Sweden will now finish bottom of group but they lost two narrow matches which they could've won. Tough opposition. Hamren and the players will be gutted.

it was like watching league 2, but i dont give a shit, we got 3 points lol. we have some very shit players(parker, milner johnson..) but ibrahimovic is fucking useless... carroll is slightly a better player than him tbh..

He slowed the game down WAY TOO MUCH Today Ibra. And wanted too many touches on the ball instead of laying off one time passes. I think in many ways he held back Sweden and his team-mates more than he helped them today.

Nonetheless, he also had a couple really dangerous shots and takes up a lot of attention from opposition defenders giving more room to some team-mates.

He did outright BULLY John Terry and Lescott on a few occassions though which was just hilarious to watch. :LOL:

He was quite shit but still threw those two around like they are flies! hahah, he made them look small and weak.

Then again Ibra, Elmander, Mellberg, Jonas Olsson, that's a BIG BIG team! Tallest team in Euro's apparently.

It has not been pretty but the one thing England have shown is they are tough to beat and never give up. Before the tournament our plan would have been to pick up a point against France, at least a point against Sweden and to beat Ukraine, so we are doing well so far.

Carroll's header was as good as you'll ever see, and the delivery from Gerrard was absolutely perfect. Walcott's goal was a bit fortunate, but it just goes to show that having a dig from range can be worthwhile. Welbeck's goal was class. No fluke that one, he meant to do that.

In the end, Hodgson deserves some credit. He played his cards right and starting Carroll gave us an aerial threat against a physical Swedish side. The Walcott substitution was a game-changer against a tired defence. Walcott could have had an even bigger impact if his team-mates passed to him more. On a few occasions he was in acres of space on the edge of the area but was ignored.

It's nice to have Walcott and Oxlade-Chamberlain on the bench who can both re-energise the team in the final stages of the game.

Well said and well done England.

Hodgson doing as well as possibly can be done.

I also do think England have been fairly fortunate as well. Especially against France where they defended very well and disciplined and organized but they had 1 shot on goal basically and that one was a goal. Similarly today, they were clinical and scored 3 goals out of how many shots on target? I remember the Parker shot which Isaksson saved and a few others but again ratio is very good and clinical.

And yeah that FIRST goal is BEAUTIFUL! It's the type of goal you want to see again and again! And it kinda came out of nowhere as Swedes were especially putting in some attacks and then BOOM!

I love the slo-mo shot of Andy Carroll performing the header. The technique and power is fantastic to watch.

Great win today. My goodness, what a header by Carroll!
Theo was just inspired, never seen such an incendiary performance from him. Greatest cameo you will see in this tournament.

But this team will struggle, because of the way it wastes possession. When they're defending a lead, they sit deep back and hope for the best, getting rid of the ball over and over again, and this is not the way to go.
Another great problem is some old fellas there who are way past it. Ibrahimovic made a mockery out of Terry sometime in the first half, which summarises everything that's wrong with Terry. Too old, too slow, too prone to slip up and too despicable a human being :P

Gerrard is still quality with his right foot, but is another guy who can't last 90 minutes. Milner and Young were absolute passengers.
A lot needs to be improved, but you guys can enjoy for now :)
Roy did alright with this team so far.

Yeah it's as GOOD AS IT GETS! The power and direction! The boy is a BEAST in the air! The delivery from Gerrard is fantastic too!

Let's not forget, England's goal against France came from a Gerrard delivery as well. Two perfect crosses that resulted in two important goals for England.

Milner and Young were absolute passengers.
A lot needs to be improved, but you guys can enjoy for now :)

Milner looked absolutely fucked after half an hour.

I think I would start Walcott and possibly the Ox against Ukraine and let them run havoc from the first minute. We should really have a go at them and try to kill the game off early.

Go on Danny:
iwgUHxSfNZGfG.gif

Not quite as clean as perfection, but outrageous improvisation.

Yeah that was a very nice goal too. Well done Danny! Nice cameo by Walcott as well.

I agree that him or Ox should start against Ukraine.

Now anyone got a GIF of that Carroll goal?

Milner / Carroll made a tackle out of frustration, those 2 set pieces were costly. Theo`s burst of speed came on at the right time good selection n a very luck goal . What`s with the love fest w the OX ? he seem to get in every match n headlines.

What`s with the love fest w the OX ? he seem to get in every match n headlines.

He has huge potential don't you agree? An exciting player, only 18, intelligent and well spoken. He seems to be another Walcott but with more end product compared to when he was 18.

Obviously, he's far from the finished article but in an England team devoid of much natural talent and excitement, Oxlade-Chamberlain is a breath of fresh air. I think we should give him as much time on the pitch as possible as he will undoubtedly be one of England's best players in a few years time.

Feel free to dredge up this post and make me look a twat if he doesn't.

Yeah I agree with Jamez then again I seem to agree with him on most things.

You the man Kanoute!!

He`s getting more time NT than his club . It`s like I`m getting to know him more now then before . I was hoping Jack got this attention "fresh air" OX is the new generation of modesty he really enjoying being around the seniors.

Good win! :DD

I don't think it means anything other than making the Ukraine match in short terms simply a KO match though which will be very nervy and tough.

Rooney to return so hopefully he adds to the much needed quality in the final third were missing.

iwgUHxSfNZGfG.gif
:...

Last edited:

I would love to see Rooney, Welbeck, and Ashley young in starting line up againts ukraine. Just because their experiences together in MANUTD.

Someone should get rid of Lawrenson as soon as possible.

Sweden are an ordinary side. Well what are England ? There are other ways to win other than Spain's.

Who are the current reigning World and European champions ?

Extremely fortunate to win. Better sides than Sweden will really expose the team for what it really is.

Nice to see Young and Gerrard up to their diving antics as usual.

As for the Ox. A gem ? More running up blind alleys as per usual. This obsession with pace and power and taking a shot at the earliest oppurtunity shows why England will never win anything for a long while.

Someone should get rid of Lawrenson as soon as possible.

Sweden are an ordinary side. Well what are England ? There are other ways to win other than Spain's.

Who are the current reigning World and European champions ?

Extremely fortunate to win. Better sides than Sweden will really expose the team for what it really is.

Nice to see Young and Gerrard up to their diving antics as usual.

As for the Ox. A gem ? More running up blind alleys as per usual. This obsession with pace and power and taking a shot at the earliest oppurtunity shows why England will never win anything for a long while.

From what I heard Lawrenson was really down on the England team. I don't think I have heard a commentator be so down on a team. He was always going on and on when we let in the goals and also about the players. I actually found it really annoying that he was so negative.

I do agree though and I think most people do that England will be beaten by any of the better sides in the tournament, all of the pundits agreed on this aswell. So I don't think many people think we are going to do that well.

But England still can do well in this tournament, but probably not by playing well.

The Ox I do think people are going overboard (and I am an arsenal fan), but he does show some great signs. He also has more in his locker than just pace and power imo and in time will learn how to combine all of his qualities...hopefully. But you never know, he could never live upto his potential? But he is promising and as someone mentioned earlier our team is so unispiring, that having a young hungry talented player playing, is nice to see.

Yeah lawro is horrible to listen. But he has a point, its quite an odd situation when you have 3 CL winners, mulitple semi finalists and generally players who are all in the top4 teams and in the CL every season......yet they have trouble making more than 5 consecutive passes before losing possesion. Its quite pathetic really.

Yeah lawro is horrible to listen. But he has a point, its quite an odd situation when you have 3 CL winners, mulitple semi finalists and generally players who are all in the top4 teams and in the CL every season......yet they have trouble making more than 5 consecutive passes before losing possesion. Its quite pathetic really.

I think this is cause (IMO) England lack a midfielder who can control the pace of a game, and keep the ball under pressure, the players we have are obviously talented but all are to abrupt under pressure and seem to fail to think under pressure, example from last night is when we went 1-0 up and Sweden kept giving us the ball back the players didn't settle into a routine, Parker continually attempted to force the ball forward instead I just working it little by little forward.

I'd have liked to seen Scholes taken along because he can do all those things, however he's too old to play so many games in so little time. Second choice would have been Carrick, unfortunately he struggles unde pressure too (which is a shame, he'd be a fantastic midfielder if he could cope, one of the best in the world IMO)

As for Oxlade Chamberlain, I still don't see what all the fuss is about, he's just another Walcott to me his contribution has been limited so far and the way he plays always seems so wasteful to me. But what do I know :L

This is training ground stuff that clearly was never done in the England camp. You have to be able to hold possession sometimes, even if it won't lead to anything much, but you have to be able to run the clock down without allowing your opposition that much time on the ball.

Spain's style seems to be the blueprint for this philosophy, but other teams are doing this too. At some point France yesterday passed the ball to death in Ukraine's half and this is the best way to keep your opposition at arm's length.

It's not the the guys right now in England's midfield don't have the talent to do so. It's just that this work's not being done in the training ground.

The fact that English teams do so good at CL level doesn't mean anything, and then again there are many high profile foreign players in those teams anyway.

One of the things that I don't like about Parker is that the ball seems to burn on his feet. He just wants to get rid of it, seems very impatient and always try a vertical connection. England's midfield doesn't have enough patience to pass it around and wait for the open spaces to appear.
BBC was pledging exactly for this, and showing their 3rd goal, how the build up involved a lot of passes. They definitely need to do that more, hold on to possession.

It's no secret to anyone that if you allow better opposition that amount of time on the ball, it's not gonna be pretty.

It's the technical level. It is still not a match for other teams.

Wilshere is missing and is missed but just one bright spark in midfield following on from Scholes a decade or more ago ?

The side still lacks ease on the ball at times more in evidence against France who were very comfortable on the ball. And still no sign of a genuine ball carrying playing defender.

To be honest the coverage from BBC and ITV leaves a lot to be desired as do their intro sequences. Some of the worst for a major tournament in a long while.

It's the technical level. It is still not a match for other teams.

England are reaping what they have been sowing for generations. The way we train our players from small children is all wrong. We value pace and power over everything else when it's ball control, technique and passing ability that really matters.

And still no sign of a genuine ball carrying playing defender.

What, like Rio? ;)

To be honest the coverage from BBC and ITV leaves a lot to be desired as do their intro sequences. Some of the worst for a major tournament in a long while.

It's terrible. One of the Guardian Euro2012 daily podcasts was talking about this. Both commentary and studio punditry is at a shockingly low level.

Adrian Chiles - how does this dour, charisma-free cunt keep getting these jobs?

Roy Keane - crack a smile once in a while.

Clive Tyldesley, John Champion, Andy Townsend, Mark Lawrenson.....why? Just Why?

BBC - despite receiving £145 from nearly every household in the UK, why are your pundits still in a studio in England?

I don't mind the so called pundits being in a studio over here Jamezinho.

It cut's down costs although when Brazil 2014 comes around they should send one or two to bring some of the vibrant atmosphere.

Hansen and company get paid a million pounds a year (and that after a pay cut) to talk drivel and state the bleeding obvious time after time.

The whole panel needs revamping. 5Live commentaries which you can select via the red button aren't so bad although Alan Green leering at the Ukranian lovelies was a bit upsetting.

Rio is past it now. His mistakes against Everton handed Manchester City the title to an extent. He could do that role though in years gone past.

Cahill doesn't seem afraid to do so either but generally it is a long boot up the pitch whereas other teams prefer to work it up the pitch.

Yes the training is still all wrong and it will take time to rectify. Street football has been lost and not replaced and I venture to say that players of earlier generations had better ball skills and that applies to Scotland too.

You don't need fancy academies either. Just learning to kick a ball and run with it like Charlton, Cruyff, Maradona, Garrincha or Messi around the streets of Rosario for hours is enough.

Everything else particularly physical conditioning can come later.

One other thing is the number of foreign players. Many key positions are not occupied by English players which does make it harder for the national coach to pick from.

This problem has been highlighted in particular in the goalkeeping slot but also in the attacking midfielder role and even to a degree now strikers.

With all the additional influx of cash to the EPL the tendency will likely get worse. Buy in a proven overseas player over a developing youngster.

This problem is not confined to England but also countries like Portugual.

When you look at Spain and Germany you see that a high percentage of their squads are comprised of players eligible for selection to the national side.

Last edited:

Smalling and Jones both have potential for that ball carrier, I think Smalling would definitely be ahead at the moment.

Wilshere and Cleverley are again another two players who aren't at the tournament, with the former easily walking into the team and the latter hopefully being involved in the squad atleast sometime soon.

Back
Top Bottom