ENGLAND thread

Re: England Thread - Euro 2012 Squad Announced

We'll get through the group stages without ever playing well and then get knocked out on penalties after a seriously dull match in the first knockout round.

We'll get through the group stages without ever playing well and then get knocked out on penalties after a seriously dull match in the first knockout round.

Trouble is, even if we get out of the group it's Spain or Italy in the next round. In which case it won't even get to penalties.

England could beat Italy. They're nothing special this tournament.

Spain on the other hand...

Italy will not get through the group stage. And if they do, England will beat them if they play against each other.
English people are strange, for years in a row they think their team can win the tournament when everybody outside England sees that they haven't got a chance.
Now they have at last a good coach and a real team (albeit with players who are individually weaker than former teams) and everybody is pessimistic.

I think England have a good chance of winning the tournament, i am impressed with their defensive organisation. And Rooney will be a big asset too.

It's the same team as it ever was, don't see how it's now a 'real' team.

We've got players that definitely don't deserve to be there (Downing the shining example), a tonne of disruption with the late appointment of the manager and now the Terry/Rio fiasco and we're still playing the same shite football we always did.

Anyone that actually knew football never thought England could win, it was the media that fed the common man into thinking that we had the world's best players purely because we had the world's best league, conveniently forgetting that it's 75% foreign.

Rooney won't be a big asset. He's banned for two games and so he'll be eager and anxious to make his mark in the last game. I can see him getting frustrated when we/he plays like crap and getting himself sent off like he did with Carvahlo in 2006.

English people are strange, for years in a row they think their team can win the tournament when everybody outside England sees that they haven't got a chance.
Now they have at last a good coach and a real team (albeit with players who are individually weaker than former teams) and everybody is pessimistic.

I think England have a good chance of winning the tournament, i am impressed with their defensive organisation. And Rooney will be a big asset too.

Actually, we English have had very little belief in our national team for many years now. We were completely abject in South Africa 2010. I'll never get back those 90 minutes I wasted watching the Algeria game. We didn't even make Euro 2008 for fuck's sake. At Germany 2006 we were fairly average, as we were in Euro 2004. I think the last time we had a decent team was at Japan-Korea 2002.

It's the English press that builds the hype and pushes expectations beyond achievable levels. The average England fan knows our team is....average, and has been for the best part of a decade.

Our squad for Euro 2012 is more of the same, and as such, the fans expectations are at an all time low. I don't see how you feel this England team is somehow different - and therefore better - than two years ago.

If you want an England team with true ability, passion and character, look back to Italia 90 or Euro 96, the last occasions when England had a team of likeable players the fans could get behind.

Neil Mellor and David Tonge.
Anton Ferdinand.
Chris Kirkland.

Well maybe it should be fun to read our posts 9 years later...

matherto: judged by the match against Belgium, England have a team now. A team that was dominated but nevertheless was very solid defensively and had the class to exploit the one mistake of their opponents.

This wasn't the most attractive football, but i have a feeling that this team with this organisation might actually win matches. It might me the Greek way, but in the end, who cares?

The only chance we have of winning it, is if we shoot that fucking England band that contrives to ruin every fucking game in which they attend.

Let the Ukrainian police confiscate their trumpets and stick em in for a 25 year stretch in some rotten, freezing cold Gulag.

Great Escape out of that, you cunts...

I've read this morning that Sol Campbell wrote an article accusing the FA of being racists. This may be a bold statement but we can't deny that the FA at least condones racism.

Taking Terry's captain armband is not good enough. But if you insist on keeping him in the squad, why go out of your way to make him comfortable? Why move mountains for your lionheart Terry?
These guys are professionals, they earn loads of money and if they're serious about it they could still be part of the same squad. Just put this matter aside and focus on football. I'm pretty sure Ferdinand would be professional about it.

This Ferdinand story will go on for a long time. I personally still think he should have been called on the first list. Now that Cahill's out, footballing reasons were shouting for him to be called, but he was overlooked again, and now the reason is more clear than ever.

I suppose if you're Roy Hodgson you may as well take John Terry, if you drop him he'd turn up in his kit and shin-pads anyway.

A.Cole has stomach bug and should not play few matches. England chance of winning the Euro Cup is 5% now.

Jamez I actually think Euro 2004 was the last time we had a great chance, yes we played pretty poor but the talent was their and Rooney was on great form at that crucial stage of the tournament, his injury completely fucked us though.

I don't think we'll get out the group, I'd be amazed if we did.

YG, I think you may get out of the group but not because England's a good team but because the group is really poor. For me, France should easily win it but Sweden isn't a great team and Ukraine is the weakest in the competition in my opinion. So England will probably jostle with Sweden to see who's less crap and may sneak in 2nd place.

if chelsea can win the CL then anythings possible including england winning it

YG, I think you may get out of the group but not because England's a good team but because the group is really poor. For me, France should easily win it but Sweden isn't a great team and Ukraine is the weakest in the competition in my opinion. So England will probably jostle with Sweden to see who's less crap and may sneak in 2nd place.

Ukraine are still rocking Sheva up front aren't they?

Kinda plays as a 2nd striker now mostly. He'll take all the Freekicks and stuff probably and still use him for shooting but doesn't last 90.

Alrighty, first match then. Predictions? I'm feeling 2-1 to France, just don't think England will be able to generate much possession and will eventually be worn down. France have enough quality to breakdown England and should score a couple.

Can then see England going route 1 and causing that French defence some issues late on.

This one doesn't really matters for England.
You should win both other matches.

The fact that it doesn't matter: 1-2 win for England.
I still have a feeling that England can win this tournament. Until now all teams have played fairly attacking football (some people will say, "naïve attacking football") and England will have a more realistic approach. This team will not win beauty contests, but it might win the tournament. And in the end nobody cares how they do it.

Back
Top Bottom