eFootball PES 2020 Demo Discussion Thread (PS4/Xbox)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I dont share the same kind of optimism.

First, is not that the animations are fast but ugly. It doesnt look like football players on this game. It looks like they capture the moviments of same fella that dont know to play football at all. I been saying this for years. Except for 2014 and 2018 that the animations was almost flawless.

Second, is not that the playtasters likes to play ping pong but the game mechanics shouldnt allow them to play that fast.

If you ask me what I really want from this game, well I want a game that is IMPOSSIBLE to slice a low pass from a low skilled defender direct to the attacker. I want a game that make me pay attention to who Im controlling on the field, think about what are his stats, wich is his strong foot, try to get the right balance and then make an action. Simple right?
This passing from CBs to FWs and the dessert middle is what makes the game end to end
Following your "challenge " to everyone to link 5 consecutive first-time passes in PES5 and after i replayed a little bit PES3 the other day : "i dare anyone to link 3 (three) first-touch passes in PES3 under pressure. I played a 10 minutes game on max dif. and what i met again after so much games in the modern PES, spending around most game time one the middle and having seen the opponenet goalkeeper on screem only twice in a half, while i was struggling to scrap and pass the midfield lane. And after two forced efforts i achieved to entet the opponent penalty box my shoots were so rushed that i killed some birds over the stadium in the sky, for sure.

And this is not related to newer versions only, it is thing since 2015, that you can reach the opponent GK with 2 or 3 passes from DF. No matter if the version is more physical (2015-2017) or more responsive/arcadey! (2016-2018). The only difference is in physical versions, there are more fouls that reduce this transition of frantic box-to-box game. Fouls dont improve thr midgame but at least thry slowdown the madness.

P.S. Do a test. Take a player from over 30 meters from GK and shoot with 90%+ plus power without pointing direction in the L-Stick. The ball goes 9/10 times in the middle of the goalpost in the height of the chest or head of the goalie, like it is chain-anchored to the middle of the goalpost.
Go to a PS 2 or 3 game and shoot with 90%+ power without holding any direction, d-pad or L-stick. Watch the ball taking an outter earth orbit.

Last edited:
This passing from CBs to FWs and the dessert middle is what makes the game end to end
Following your "challenge " to everyone to link 5 consecutive first-time passes in PES5 and after i replayed a little bit PES3 the other day : "i dare anyone to link 3 (three) first-touch passes in PES3 under pressure. I played a 10 minutes game on max dif. and what i met again after so much games in the modern PES, spending around most game time one the middle and having seen the opponenet goalkeeper on screem only twice in a half, while i was struggling to scrap and pass the midfield lane. And after two forced efforts i achieved to entet the opponent penalty box my shoots were so rushed that i killed some birds over the stadium in the sky, for sure.

And this is not related to newer versions only, it is thing since 2015, that you can reach the opponent GK with 2 or 3 passes from DF. No matter if the version is more physical (2015-2017) or more responsive/arcadey! (2016-2018). The only difference is in physical versions, there are more fouls that reduce this transition of frantic box-to-box game. Fouls dont improve thr midgame but at least thry slowdown the madness.
Because stats don't matter

If you ask me what I really want from this game, well I want a game that is IMPOSSIBLE to slice a low pass from a low skilled defender direct to the attacker. I want a game that make me pay attention to who Im controlling on the field, think about what is his stats, wich is his strong foot, try to get the right balance and then make an action. Simple right?
tenor.gif

I played a 10 minutes game on max dif. and what i met again after so much games in the modern PES, spending around most game time one the middle and having seen the opponenet goalkeeper on screem only twice in a half, while i was struggling to scrap and pass the midfield lane. And after two forced efforts i achieved to entet the opponent penalty box my shoots were so rushed that i killed some birds over the stadium in the sky, for sure.
I miss this.

Imagine a modern football game where it felt like an achievement to carve out a good opportunity - instead of it being gifted to you by pressing X a few times or spamming through-balls.

The hardest part of football (when in possession) is creating a good opportunity for the strikers, right? In the modern games, it's the easiest.

Because stats don't matter
Can it be only stats espimas dude? I can't describe it accurately, but all modern games, if you are a little bit focus in passing are 1 attack= 1 highlight replay.
Don't know if i csn blame only passing or stats or positioning or physicallity.

tenor.gif

I miss this.

Imagine a modern football game where it felt like an achievement to carve out a good opportunity - instead of it being gifted to you by pressing X a few times or spamming through-balls.

The hardest part of football (when in possession) is creating an easy opportunity for the strikers, right? In the modern games, it's the easiest.
Yeah opportunities and highlights were something worthwhile back then. I remember around ps2 era, in a now deceased forum, reading some posts, about how "crowded" the midfield was , as a cons!!! And there was not any e-sports agenda back then.
After years it went the exact opposite way.

Last edited:
BIG factors were the 4 direction passes and later still the 8 ones. Not to mention the rails the players could run on. It was more like a chess game. Nowdays its much harder to get back to this with the 360degree.

I imagine the coding has hurt with the progression of 360 as well - especially from a defensive point of view. The irony of that is somehow the defensive line doing windsprints in front of the attacker is as linear as can be.

If physicality is the focus for 2020, then that is fine. However, if you can send a ball on the ground 30 yards away in the first place, there's a problem. I went over this in my PES3 video, but also on the forums, specifically WENB when that discussion came up. You can't just slap physicality onto the game and expect resistance. Resistance is direct and indirect - KONAMI have not figured this out since PES 6, and more recently PES 13. The fact is, the ball is still reaching its intended target, whether it be from a 40 rated CB with their weak foot or a 99 rated DMF.

There have got to be bodies in the way. It's so basic. Most sports are about field positioning and occupying the spaces that are intended to be exploited.

Can it be only stats espimas dude? I can't describe it accurately, but all modern games, if you are a little bit focus in passing are 1 attack= 1 highlight replay.
Don't know if i csn blame only passing or stats or positioning or physicallity.
Not only stats obviously, but any CB passing the ball straight to a any FW, always with a perfect pass, that's because stats have very little impact on the game, and that's called arcade gaming, which is what PES has turned into.
Besides that, positioning and physicality are also lacking as you say, yet they are somehow subjected to stats (stronger/weaker players, teamwork stats, individual player awareness, etc.)

Not only stats obviously, but any CB passing the ball straight to a any FW, always with a perfect pass, that's because stats have very little impact on the game, and that's called arcade gaming, which is what PES has turned into.
Besides that, positioning and physicality are also lacking as you say, yet they are somehow subjected to stats (stronger/weaker players, teamwork stats, individual player awareness, etc.)
And something OffTopic. Dude i always believed you should be SB too. Not only wb/smf :P :P

Ever since they went to 40 as being the lowest stat value, it went downhill. There is no longer a true Zero value. If you lower short passing to 40 it really only affects through balls. The same pass types and zip still occur direct to feet.

That and consolidating certain stats into one (ball winning for example) was one of the worst decisions and further removes the fundamentals of PES. In the end, they are after the OVR value to help the MyClub or ML chemistry elements. Very few stats are still impactful enough, and in my testing they've been Stamina...and balance - but even balance wasn't as impactful in PES 19 compared to 18, 17 and 16.

Let's face it... The modern Pes game lacks depth, and therefore, longevity. They have nearly become as arcadey as the old Kick Off titles.

Let's face it... The modern Pes game lacks depth, and therefore, longevity. They have nearly become as arcadey as the old Kick Off titles.

With one notable difference, KO II on 16 bit machines was an excellent game. Fast n furious, required loads of skill to pull off some cracking moves/shots/bendies, and the free kicks around the box were wicked and a joy to behold if you could pull one correctly and get it over the wall and swerve down into the net.

It was equal fun vs the AI as well as vs your brothers/friends as well.

If PES had just a smattering of the fun that KO II was, I would be playing it every day, like I did way back when with the KO series on Amiga!

Sadly, it’s boring, uneventful, lacks those ‘moments’ and incidents that would make you ‘just have one more game’.

I have the same issue with the Stadio Olimpico for Roma, in my original game when I first bought it, they indeed in play in Stadion Nazionale, not Stadio Olimpico
Bringing it back round to the original point, if this has been an issue for a few years then I don't think it constitutes evidence that Roma won't be licensed.

BIG factors were the 4 direction passes and later still the 8 ones. Not to mention the rails the players could run on. It was more like a chess game. Nowdays its much harder to get back to this with the 360degree.

But you can start buildng the stats system dividing the 360º into 8 parts of 45º, its a first step to begin the transfer of this stuff.

Once you have done this, you can start adding grey zones on the limits of this 8 parts.

I think this old stats system could increase microtransactions in Myclub, If you really feel the difference between players, it add sense to adquire new talent to your squad. If you get a top player and he makes the difference in your matches, you would go to spend more money to get another one.

Stats impact could be revolutionary for MyClub, I don't understand how Konami can't see this.

Last edited:

- Nedved was a legend in 2016, I think. So a big yawn from me.
- The animation looks like something I'd see in an RPG cutscene. O wait. I forgot. MyCluRPG.
- I can also see konami partnering with the likes of Head And Shoulders, Vidal Sassoon etc. Because you're worth it.

I was just thinking, why can't Konami add a Sim option? When we pick any mode to play, ML, league or cup, we pick simulation, just like picking transfer frequency or ML difficulty, and it would unlock fouls, stats, offsides, etc. Make them all work as a real life match.

It won't be the default option of course, because it's clear what Konami's direction is. But at least it's an extra option added for us asking for closer to real life experience. We don't mind the stop start gameplay caused by fouls. We don't mind the obvious difference in all stats and not just the speed-related stats. We don't mind sitting for hours picking the right players for our teams based on their stats and attributes. We like to feel there's a deeper meaning and connection.

It can't be hard adding a few lines of code that says in the lines of "don't ignore all stats and give all fouls except when on a clear advantage. All defenders hold a straight line of defense and not always follow the attacker. Players play a bad pass if passing at an angle of 180." Etc.

Just for this Simulation option.

I was just thinking, why can't Konami add a Sim option? When we pick any mode to play, ML, league or cup, we pick simulation, just like picking transfer frequency or ML difficulty, and it would unlock fouls, stats, offsides, etc. Make them all work as a real life match.

It won't be the default option of course, because it's clear what Konami's direction is. But at least it's an extra option added for us asking for closer to real life experience. We don't mind the stop start gameplay caused by fouls. We don't mind the obvious difference in all stats and not just the speed-related stats. We don't mind sitting for hours picking the right players for our teams based on their stats and attributes. We like to feel there's a deeper meaning and connection.

It can't be hard adding a few lines of code that says in the lines of "don't ignore all stats and give all fouls except when on a clear advantage. All defenders hold a straight line of defense and not always follow the attacker. Players play a bad pass if passing at an angle of 180." Etc.

Just for this Simulation option.

It would be an smart move, sure. NBA2K has it for many years.

But on the other hand, I think that if Konami add simutation style choice or sliders, it would give license to Konami to make the default game more and more arcade. So it make me feel a little bit afraid of this move .

I would be very happy to be able to sim games properly,making adjustments during the sim,or Jump in if I want to,also a feature that's available in 2k,just like progression/regression sliders,how and when all players peak regress.
Both football games are in the dark ages when it comes to those things.
If the most/worst micro transaction game in the world,who also is a arcade game,still have an unparalleled SIM in it then why can't Konami/EA sort it out?
They surely must realise (like sports interactive do) that there's a need for it?

We probably should start pushing for that soon after PES 2020 Demo is out (if it's not good enough).
Either give us the option to select "OFFLINE (SIM)" or "ONLINE (MYCLUB)" gameplay versions, or give us a bunch of gameplay modifiers / sliders for PES 2021 right off bat.

New Engine, New Core, New Approach, New Philosophy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom