eFootball PES 2020 Demo Discussion Thread (PS4/Xbox)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shoot me now. How many times are we gonna get this drivel?

It doesn't have to be a conspiracy. They don't have to be shills. They just have to enjoy the game in different ways to the way you do to enjoy the builds they play.

Moreover, several of the team are always pointing out things they don't like - lack of depth, poor AI, scripting. Just because one representative gives it the general thumbs up, doesn't mean he or the rest of them is paid off.

Likewise with this loose and quick association with the idea they're "paid" to create option files. Misrepresenting what it is they do, and vaguely pointing to a link between their editing work and their playtesting at events. You couldn't substantiate that link if you tried – it's just easier to be vague and let others with suspicious minds nod vigorously in agreement.

Okay. Maybe you know something i don't. Really i'm just saying what my first impression is - That is sometimes wrong to do and maybe that's the case here.

Although i'm seeing a lot of positive vibes from their official PESUniverse site on Twitter. I am seeing it this year. I were seeing it last year.

For me it will never be the most reliable source. I am feeling a way more honest talk in here for example. Maybe i'm wrong, but it is weird that they are gaining followers by speaking a lot of PES in the PREmonths - nearly shutting down after release and only focusing on their option files.

Sorry for OT... the reason for the bug was not a back pass but a GK hand outside of the box even if the hand was actually outside of the pitch. (See the fifa16 thread for discussion abou it). A IF was probably lacking in the code.

Back on topic, I am personally really not impressed about what I am seeing on the videos. It really looks very similar to 19 to me. I hate seeing those team cut in two, with the attackers not joining the defense and stopping at an imaginary hard line few years inside their team half, but also the CB not able to cross the midfield line when their team is attacking. I think this only contributes tremendously to the absence of midfield play we are seeing. If your 3 attackers are waiting by the midfield line that their partner are getting the ball back they are already ready for the counterattack, there is no need for transition play. But transition play is one of the most important and delicate/difficult aspect of football.

Spot on! It's little details like these that make a great difference.

Pre-order bonus.

Hilarious man but kabaddi is a very tough game, no room for fatigue.
Pure greediness from konami about the price. As an Asian neighbour and business tie ups they fully know India and its economy here 40:60 rich is to poor. If they are catering those 40 then they are really poor in maths because mainly they like cricket so chances are 5 out of 40 and if they buy then it will be fifa( personally I know many ). As football is a game for poor and average in India the price 1999 was enough so that one can save there pocket money for whole year and it can be done. India nowadays is a huge platform if used wisely for marketing even EA sports have distributers here. Blunders from konami Rs.3902 on a 2019 V2. Pure greediness, many guys would have loved to buy it but will restrain from it. Shame.

Really nice, thank you for posting that. That's one of my favourite clips so far.
You welcome mate!

I really liked Adam gameplay streams. He seems to be the only one who knows how PES 2020 has to be played.

I think the game maybe feels pretty the same visually. But the point is, there is a huge change in the gameplay concept.
The game mechanics are more focused on take good decisions, make 1 great pass instead of spaming X at high speed.

And, in defense, you can not make high pressure and rely on your defensive transition if you do not win the ball. 1 killer pass and you are done. You have to focus on covering pass options and marking possible ball receptors.

We all know Konami sucks at math. The game costs like 100 bucks in on of the Latin American countries.

I do feel it, in my country too the price notched up to a huge level, which really took me off guarded. They are not only good in maths they are expert but sadly they have become greedy.

I think the game maybe feels pretty the same visually. But the point is, there is a huge change in the gameplay concept.
The game mechanics are more focused on take good decisions, make 1 great pass instead of spaming X at high speed.
I'm not sure about that - in-fact I think it's pretty clear in the videos that pass accuracy (as in, aim, not counting interceptions from defenders) is still 100% - but I take your point, I like how that counter-attack happens and if it's easier to punish those kinds of spammers, that's something.

I'm not sure about that - in-fact I think it's pretty clear in the videos that pass accuracy (as in, aim, not counting interceptions from defenders) is still 100% - but I take your point, I like how that counter-attack happens and if it's easier to punish those kinds of spammers, that's something.

Maybe there's not huge error in accuracy but I've seen a lot of poor quality passes, with the ball rolling slow, bouncing like a rabbit, and you have to add to this the error in ball control. I'm sure it will affect to the "spam X style" flow.

Maybe, it's not hard as PES 5 or WE9LE but it's a huge change in this area if you look to PES 2019.

Yeah... I found 7 hours stream with around 20 games, demos and interviews ... I cut all shits, crop, render and upload.
For now that is the only real 60 fps video of PES 2020 in Youtube.
Yeah, thanks for your gratitude... jackass

Ok and how am i supposed to know these facts? It simply looked like you "shadow advertised" your own video. No need to insult me. Maybe you should choose better words than "i found a video" then.

i did not watch the whole vídeo yet but só far I enjoyed this and the game os starting to grow on me now.

The guys there finally played more seriously and the matchs look more like football.

They played one game against superstar level. Midfield finally stand in front of the defend like around the big área and theres no easy gap to explore. Attacking CPU was a bit too ditect tho.

The Second game (p1 vs P2) is enjoyble so far. I like the bit at 56:30. Look at how the pass to Toti is not so ridiculous direct to feet and perfect so that Toti had to stretch his leg to control the ball, wich Gave the Defenders surrounded that extra Miles of secound to come make space tight, then Toti protected the ball as an experience attacker and tried to shoot while being pressured with no much space, the shoot animation was Just right, Toti had no chance to propoerly adjust the body and make a strong shot, and the ball physics matched perfectly going above the bar.

This is the kind of stuff that we miss from PES.

Very good!!

My pros and cons on PES 2020 so far:

Pros:

- Gameplay: game seems more fluid, better animations with less clipping, good pace of the game.
- Camera angle: improved LiveBroadcast Camera Angle, like a real match on television (It's like they simply copied this from the LiveBroadcastCameraMod, here at EvoWeb)
- Menu: main menu system looks simple, but a lot better than PES 16-19's
- Master League: Master League will be what it always should have been, great to see cutscenes and a story mode, being able to create yourself as a manager, or a Legend Manager.
-
In addition to this, great to actually see the manager coaching during the game, something PES should have added sooner in the game.
- Referees: referees are also a bit better than last year, for example, saw a foul on a player who got one-on-one with the GK, and the defender got a red card. This would have been a yellow card in PES 2019.
- Suggestion: bring back Referee ID, like in PES6.

Doubts:

- Team Selection Menu: team selection menu didn't got an overhaul, which it really should have! This menu looks so bored! It should go back to a PES6 or PES 2012-2013 kind of team selection menu style.
- Edit mode: wasn't mentioned at E3, so perhaps no changes coming to Edit Mode?
- PES default scoreboard: apart from the better colour, nothing has changed to the scoreboard.
- SCRIPTING?!: Last but not least, e.g. difficult to create a chance when you're in Extra Time, simply because the referee blows the whistle when you simply arrive at 91 mins for example, so hope to have this wrong, but I think it's still there.

Licenses Wishlist:

- EURO 2020 license or UEFA Nations League (or both)
- More national teams: Kosovo, Montegro, Kazachstan, Cyprus, Estonia, Finland, Macedonia...
- Return of the Copa Libertadores and the Copa Sudamericana
- African and/or American Champions League, in addition to the AFC Champions League
- Spanish and Italian 2nd division should return
- No losses on the league licenses we have in PES 2019
- Hope they add one of these: Ukranian league, Greek League, Mexican League, Belgian and/or Dutch 2nd division,

Guys watch at 5:44 the ultra realistic ball behavior (spin) after the control from Iniesta and right after the that how the ball behaves and spins after ronaldinho's touch. That's pure realism.
Pes 2020 ball is the best ball ever implemented in a soccer game.

The more i see of this game, the more i am warming to it. A BIG plus on last years game is the physicality of it, i like the fact that last years problem of players going flying from the lightest touch, now appears to have gone.

Aswell it will be interesting to see that against the AI if you are under pressure to keep the ball that you can do so, without the midfield becoming like a schoolyard kickabout, with the ball mainly bobbling off shin's in random directions! or is that just my nervous gameplay :BRMM::LOL:

Shoot me now. How many times are we gonna get this drivel?

It doesn't have to be a conspiracy. They don't have to be shills. They just have to enjoy the game in different ways to the way you do to enjoy the builds they play.

Moreover, several of the team are always pointing out things they don't like - lack of depth, poor AI, scripting. Just because one representative gives it the general thumbs up, doesn't mean he or the rest of them is paid off.

Likewise with this loose and quick association with the idea they're "paid" to create option files. Misrepresenting what it is they do, and vaguely pointing to a link between their editing work and their playtesting at events. You couldn't substantiate that link if you tried – it's just easier to be vague and let others with suspicious minds nod vigorously in agreement.
I’ve kept tabs on nearly everyone (that I can think of) in the PES community for many years and PES Universe are definitely shills.

It’s why I like Evo-Web. It’s the only place left doesn’t have a set agenda when it comes to PES.

Last edited:
It has been much much worse 4-5 years ago. There was a time (at least that‘s how I perceived it) when any criticism of the game - however small it was - was ridiculed by the same 3-4 users who were die-hard PES fanboys and whose opinions were gatekeeping the forums.

I am glad these people are gone, because the atmosphere is much more agreeable here since then. But, yes, we are somewhat in an echo chamber here, talking about things that do not seem to have much bearing on how stuff develops on the outside. But I am perfectly fine with this because generally I‘d rather connect as a “normal” guy to other „normal“ folk than to bloated egos whose ultimate goal is to be „relevant“.

I think those years where more 15 years ago around the PES5-2009 era. Which is part of my point. Things have changed a lot, i remember those PES snobs which is what drew me originally to the FIFA community back in the early 2000's despite always playing both games and more, then FIFA became trendy and the devs got arrogant and with PES falling off a new monster emerged we see still raging today.

I was never one who took sides, i just played all football games available but FIFA pissed me seriously around 10 years ago.

I think those years where more 15 years ago around the PES5-2009 era. Which is part of my point. Things have changed a lot, i remember those PES snobs which is what drew me originally to the FIFA community back in the early 2000's despite always playing both games and more, then FIFA became trendy and the devs got arrogant and with PES falling off a new monster emerged we see still raging today.

I was never one who took sides, i just played all football games available but FIFA pissed me seriously around 10 years ago.

Well said klash! spot on, exactly my take on it. Although the timing is slighty different, i defected to fifa 12 - 16 before returning.
There has always been varying pro's & con's to both titles. I can never remember a year though when i was genuinley stuck between both because they were that good. It was always one or the other.

Edit mode: wasn't mentioned at E3, so perhaps no changes coming to Edit Mode?
We know of one thing, the adboards at press conferences can be edited.

I wouldn't expect much as there isn't much they can do that they haven't already in edit mode, besides a full-on stadium editor.

i did not watch the whole vídeo yet but só far I enjoyed this and the game os starting to grow on me now.

The guys there finally played more seriously and the matchs look more like football.

They played one game against superstar level. Midfield finally stand in front of the defend like around the big área and theres no easy gap to explore. Attacking CPU was a bit too ditect tho.

The Second game (p1 vs P2) is enjoyble so far. I like the bit at 56:30. Look at how the pass to Toti is not so ridiculous direct to feet and perfect so that Toti had to stretch his leg to control the ball, wich Gave the Defenders surrounded that extra Miles of secound to come make space tight, then Toti protected the ball as an experience attacker and tried to shoot while being pressured with no much space, the shoot animation was Just right, Toti had no chance to propoerly adjust the body and make a strong shot, and the ball physics matched perfectly going above the bar.

This is the kind of stuff that we miss from PES.

Very good!!

I think this video is of the match v superstar AI in the middle of the longer video you posted:

There are definitely things in it that encourage me - cpu errors (almost too many, given it's Barcelona), cpu long shots and some dribbling, not very much ping-pong from cpu, no low-cross/backheel/top corner attempts. I like the goal the cpu scores, a little chipped cross by suarez, when he could have shot. I also like that the cpu also made errors in defence and not every tackle they made went straight to another of their players. The ball did look more free.

I really liked the AI in 2018 (except for the pong-pongy/backheel stuff), but was amazed at how bad they made it in 2019. This looks like a recovery in 2020 to a much better game. Still no fouls by AI and plenty of room for improvement, but it looks far more playable again. I hope they don't screw it all up by release date.

I play FIFA more than PES now and I think if they brought back Creation Centre, mainly the ability to create kits etc, then I reckon I'd be completely done with PES. The one thing that keeps me coming back is my desire to edit kits, but it's not something that keeps me there forever as once you've edited the kits it's time to actually play the game and that's when my interest dies off.

Actually, no. Many, included me, posted examples of what was good in past Pes and is missing in modern Pes. Many said that modes are completely neglected, many said that Master League needs to be improved a lot, many said AI need to be so much better.

This is because Konami's idea of a football game completely changed, following the Fifa trends, instead of trying to be Pes.

You know i already been screaming about how poor the modes are and that is the big thing for PES 2020. the modes need to be much much better. Its been a total shambles for too long! The AI is good, very good, i'm impressed with the realism i see the AI at times, its just you have to work hard to see it, i spoke to you before about this but your stubborn, you don't seem to care about my points. Your absolutely determined that the game is shit because the AI always do lazer guided passes you cant stop when you can stop it, but i can't be arsed to repeat myself over and over again.

The problem is here everyone doesn't want that. So, the fault this forum is not influential is entirely on Konami, we are the same as we were at Ps2 games.

This is my point. PES has moved on since the PS2 games in gameplay, its got realistic aspects those games can't even hold a candle to and that happened years ago with the likes of PES 2013 for example. What those games have over the majority of modern era games is balance, they where 'complete products' and that's we we need to demand for the future, however my point and my strong views are built on what made the PS2 era special which was a solid base which was improved on every year! PES has finally arrived back there with a really good, quality solid base of gameplay. Is it perfect, hell no, but is quality and could be something amazing, if Konami are actually competent enough to produce it is the question, i just want to make sure they have the best feedback we can give them directly.

Another mistake by Pes communication team. There are plenty of other developers that directly respond to their fanbase on forums like these, because forums are still the best way to communicate with someone. So much more space to express our own opinions, so much more direct contact with the other members, and most important, forums are moderated and stupid people tend to be banned.

How is this place any better than reddit? Why would the devs come here compared to just use reddit with more people and easier to utilise? This is my concern, there is little reason for Konami to come here over reddit.

I didn't know that in 2019 football players are all AI robots controlling, shooting and passing like they are all Messi or Cristiano Ronaldo in their best days.
Pes never represented football very realistically, but you have to admit now, despite being closer than ever visually to the real thing, it's so far from reality that in comparison even Ps2 games were more grounded in football reality with misplaced passes, shots, random mistakes, unpredictability.

Again, no, totally disagree, this is where your stuck in the past! No. I'm going to be blunt with you. Yes the AI in PES 2019 can be very annoyingly clinical, they seem to be programmed to smash the top corner if you give them space, that the thing, i said this a million times, I've worked out the AI btw in PES 2019 which is why i really like it. they have the easy in some cases 'cheap' routes to goal, just stop those routes with your skill and then the game really comes alive! You have to force the AI to think, you didn't need to do this on the PS2 games, it weren't like that. the PS2 games were a lot more straightforward and everything was more you finding the best setup and formation for your team and then just cruise and enjoy the great gameplay. Now it's so much about tactics and not allowing the AI space, it's like fighting against an animal, that is what i have enjoyed this year about the game, knowing the AI will come at you unforgiving and you need to be on it to win.

The PS2 games were in an era of football where two footed tackles were still allowed if you got it right along with having true defenders like Maldini, Stam, Campbell and proper enforcers like Keane, eras when you could tackle so we got used to the stop start matches and man marking was a huge thing. Now modern football is all about pressure and the game is much faster now with less fouls than back in the day due to the sanitation. This is where PES 2019 fits the modern game very well. Look at how Liverpool play these days, its breakneck pressure and counter attack!

Where i feel the game is let down in its gameplay is its dribbling which PES 2020 looks to amend which is good as this was a big part of mine and Nems feedback to Konami. Thats an area especially with how the right stick is used which needed improvement, also something which will need a big focus on is collisions which ares till rather bad. I touched on the shambles which is the menus and content. Gameplay is in a very good place, its the only thing which has kept PES alive these years because it really should've died with FIFA's dominance.

I think you are wrong with this mentality that "sadly football has changed, we can't have something better than what is in Pes 2019". The problem is not that football has changed, the problem is that Pes 2019 represents no kind of football, neither the one of the past, nor actual football.

It's a game with so much flaws it's an incoherent mess, it doesn't even follows its rules. Script, limitations, cheating AI, rules everything in Pes 2019. We should ask so much more than that in 2019.

So, in conclusion, it's not us that are wrong, it's them, Konami, who has lost its way, developing a mess of a game year after year.

This last bit is why i took the time to reply because this is my point, this is why i made the post about this place being in the past.

PES has moved on, so for the future we as a community need to discuss.

- What's good and solid
- What is bad and seriously needs improving
- How can football games evolve in the future on the PS5 etc..

If you get this narrative of 'AI always lazer guiding passes and the AI just always cheats, fix the game Konami. What, so are Konami just going start the game again from scratch? for zero?

What do you even like about the game in the first place?

I feel its imperative we establish this to get the best feedback possible. I feel i could come back in 10 years entering my 40's maybe with a wife and kids and we will still have the same people here moaning about efootball 2029 is not realistic like PES5, this is my fear, this is a great forum but i'm concerned for the future.

Last edited:
I think this video is of the match v superstar AI in the middle of the longer video you posted:

There are definitely things in it that encourage me - cpu errors (almost too many, given it's Barcelona), cpu long shots and some dribbling, not very much ping-pong from cpu, no low-cross/backheel/top corner attempts. I like the goal the cpu scores, a little chipped cross by suarez, when he could have shot. I also like that the cpu also made errors in defence and not every tackle they made went straight to another of their players. The ball did look more free.

I really liked the AI in 2018 (except for the pong-pongy/backheel stuff), but was amazed at how bad they made it in 2019. This looks like a recovery in 2020 to a much better game. Still no fouls by AI and plenty of room for improvement, but it looks far more playable again. I hope they don't screw it all up by release date.

It is promising and now we need to wait and see if this will be in the final game. Everything is possible with Konami and only the final game will tell the truth.

Hey man, it is me indeed, hello! :D yeah, working 2 jobs these days so I'm a busy boy :(
I hope their both your dream jobs otherwise don't kill yourself for someone else's dream either.

Anyway you'll be pleased to know I'm still enjoying the old games thanks to your classy patches. Shame you guys discontinued them but I understand.

I’ve kept tabs on nearly everyone (that I can think of) in the PES community for many years and PES Universe are definitely shills.

It’s why I like Evo-Web. It’s the only place left doesn’t have a set agenda when it comes to PES.

:THINK:

Give me a break. Since you've been keeping tabs, you'll have jotted down in your notes the following things about members/former members of PES Universe:
  • True Brits bloke is routinely critical of: repetitive bland AI, crap ML mode in general, dodgy AI, high PA levels, not enough error on PA1, etc.
  • David Fish had a public spat with a Konami representative, because he called out how unresponsive PES 2019 was and ended up going back to FIFA
  • "PESEP" complains about online scripting in every single one of his live streams
  • "Vernimator" complains about lag and scripting all the time
Off the top of my head, those are or have been main guys, and they've not held back from complaining. Are you able to explain away the complaining? Is it not often enough for you, or they don't make the same complaints as you want them to make? Are they just complaining so as to appear objective while secretly taking goodies from Konami on the sly?

I can imagine a raft of such explanations, each more desperate than the last – each an instance of special pleading. It's laughable.

As with all conspiratorial thinking, this fails to notice the much more basic and plausible explanations:
  • They like PES and want it to do well
  • They don't look for the same faults as guys here, and if they did, wouldn't notice them to the same extent
  • They are susceptible to hype, especially at live events
  • They are media savvy and want a positive vibe in their respective channels, so they don't fill them with endless negativity
Etc., etc.

What's your definitive evidence they're shills, then? Probably something along the lines of "errr, they get invited to events and treated nice and stuff". That's true enough. But so does, e.g., Chris here. I'm on another forum (a league), and normally one of the team there gets invited to a playtest. (B-Man used to be at E3 playtests and on camera – was he thereby compromised?)

It's true you see PES Uni guys a little more on these things, but is it hard to see why? The PES "community" publicly exists as a series of transient interactions and friendships across gaming social networks (Twitch, Twitter, YouTube), and that's what Konami sees as the base now, rightly or wrongly. PES Uni guys were wise enough to recognise that on the new platforms for social interaction and interest groups, there was a big space for a PES opening, and they became established accordingly.

You may not like their content – you may not be into the whole watching somebody "do a spin" on myClub – fuck knows I'm not into that, but to suggest they're shills because sometimes they're positive, often they're at PES events, and Konami like them is just, as I said above, inane drivel.

EDIT: By the way, when people complain that this place is toxic, it may be an overstatement, but it's this sort of "If you're friendly with Konami or you don't slate the game all day long then you're paid off" attitude which creates an air of unease and bitterness. It's snobbish, badly thought through, and sustains the impression places like this are irrelevant cliques housing only resentful people.

Maybe i'm wrong, but it is weird that they are gaining followers by speaking a lot of PES in the PREmonths - nearly shutting down after release and only focusing on their option files.
Yeah, you probably are wrong.

The reason you think of PES Universe as inactive during the game cycle and only active prior to release is because you're not noticing the changes in online communities these days. If you followed, e.g., PESEP and Vernimator on Twitch and Twitter, or True Brits on YouTube, you'd see they're very active, playing PES, interacting with followers. All year round.

If you're not into that scene (and I don't blame you, it's not much my thing either), then the only time you'll see these guys are at Konami-run events or when they're putting out OFs. That doesn't mean they're not active and around; they're sustaining a different kind of community, and one it's hard for old fogeys like us to recognise or be in touch with.

Ok and how am i supposed to know these facts? It simply looked like you "shadow advertised" your own video. No need to insult me. Maybe you should choose better words than "i found a video" then.
Yep. Im down on the jackass part of the comment!!
Now we all get leveled! Not need for insults or that kinda stuff here!! Nowhere.
I hope we got that sorted and move on.
Big hug to all of you!! :)
...let the mature discussion go on!

Well I had the same first response as you, thinking "wait, it's on his channel..?"

And then I took a moment to think, and realised what he must have been saying. What fed into that process was remembering other things: limited number of streams available, many I've seen either were 720p or falsely advertised as 1080p, looks like the youtuber uploads many PES videos from other places, etc.

Put it all together, and not leaping ahead with your first instinct, you realise what he actually meant instead of how you took it. It's called the principle of charity – you should try it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom