eFootball PES 2020 Demo Discussion Thread (PS4/Xbox)

Status
Not open for further replies.
In PES, the 'Deep Defensive Line' is a real serious problem in how its setup by Konami, it can work well in certain context but Konami have been getting it wrong, very wrong how they setup the tactics by default, hence my tactics threads and work every year.

Its never ever supposed to be set to a team by default, it only really should be available as something used for changing on the fly to stop players from getting inbehind easily if a consistent problem is occurring for the AI, this works quite well when the AI use this to either stop giving away so many chances or even at times start damage limitation if they are getting battered.

When 'Deep Defensive Line' is set on by the CPU, if you manage to score against the AI, the game is basically over, you can pass it around your backline and they just sit back stupid, really stupidly and maybe 1-3 players chase you around. Really infuriating because the tactics are that powerful if setup correctly they can pressure you within an inch of your life if setup properly or give you the required pressure needed to get the ball away from your box. This is something i have heavily questioned Konami on! This must improve,

Some of these settings completely contradict the Tactics slider settings, defensive line 1-3 does exactly what 'Deep Defensive Line' does anyway, so if the line is set higher anywhere between 5-7 or especially 8-10 but if deep defensive line is set on, its just horrible and contradictory.

This doesn't help Arsenal have two DMs set which totally unbalances the 3-4-1-2 formation in midfield as the two DMs drop back far, far, far too much by default, they should be set to CM's as 3-5-2 formations absolutely do not work with DM's! 3 center backs is enough, no need for another DM! Setting up the two in the middle to be CM's is important so the midfield is balanced and meets the opposition higher up the pitch for interceptions.

All in all, Arsenals formation is crap in the demo and fundamentally doesn't work well at all.

That was enjoyable to read, look forward to your tactics thread for this year's game. It's a side of football that I'm really interested in so basic mistakes like we're talking about really get to me and distract from the enjoyment. For years FIFA's rampaging DM has been killing me.

That was enjoyable to read, look forward to your tactics thread for this year's game. It's a side of football that I'm really interested in so basic mistakes like we're talking about really get to me and distract from the enjoyment. For years FIFA's rampaging DM has been killing me.

Thanks, I think i should start with these tactics right now. I will be finishing my kits quota i have for PES Universe and the tactics setup is essentially the same as last year although Frontline Pressure, Conservative is a little more effective this year compared to previous years. There have been changes to how players perform to their instructions every year which is the first things i discover then we set teams up after we know how the AI moves offf the ball with all the various settings.

well, whoever at Konami hasn't been to good at it, 2017,18,19 all have player stats out of wack. But it's hard to do this because you need lots of player opinions, because what i see might not be accurate to others. I'm sure it's hard to do this. But Konami should be putting more effort into this area, by updates throughout the year. This is what makes PES is player stats, so player feedback updates should be mandatory. They do this in there baseball game and a great job at it, so go figure.
Just hope they can step up their game,I think there's a lot of other players standing out in the demo,usually use BM and Coman is a beast on the wing,so it shouldn't be that hard to have a proper Messi,but then again,it's konami,go figure!

In PES, the 'Deep Defensive Line' is a real serious problem in how its setup by Konami, it can work well in certain context but Konami have been getting it wrong, very wrong how they setup the tactics by default, hence my tactics threads and work every year.

Its never ever supposed to be set to a team by default, it only really should be available as something used for changing on the fly to stop players from getting inbehind easily if a consistent problem is occurring for the AI, this works quite well when the AI use this to either stop giving away so many chances or even at times start damage limitation if they are getting battered.

When 'Deep Defensive Line' is set on by the CPU, if you manage to score against the AI, the game is basically over, you can pass it around your backline and they just sit back stupid, really stupidly and maybe 1-3 players chase you around. Really infuriating because the tactics are that powerful if setup correctly they can pressure you within an inch of your life if setup properly or give you the required pressure needed to get the ball away from your box. This is something i have heavily questioned Konami on! This must improve,

Some of these settings completely contradict the Tactics slider settings, defensive line 1-3 does exactly what 'Deep Defensive Line' does anyway, so if the line is set higher anywhere between 5-7 or especially 8-10 but if deep defensive line is set on, its just horrible and contradictory.

This doesn't help Arsenal have two DMs set which totally unbalances the 3-4-1-2 formation in midfield as the two DMs drop back far, far, far too much by default, they should be set to CM's as 3-5-2 formations absolutely do not work with DM's! 3 center backs is enough, no need for another DM! Setting up the two in the middle to be CM's is important so the midfield is balanced and meets the opposition higher up the pitch for interceptions.

All in all, Arsenals formation is crap in the demo and fundamentally doesn't work well at all.
That's a good read mate,I usually use your tactics every year,takes a while to set it up to my primary ML leagues (I usually edit Serie A-B)
Hope you got the stamina for a tactics thread this year as well mate

Aha....I forgot about that stupid zoom on broadcast cam on 19 - very very annoying. [there is a mod on pc to disable it]

I now can definitely see the appeal of 2020 over 19 for the console players and the hype for release is far far easier for me to understand now.

Even if the modes/menus are not improved upon the cam makes enough of a improved difference. Roll on 2020 I guess (don't preorder though! :ROCK:). I'll still await a discount.

I wish, the broadcast cam was customizable either.
Wasn't that stated, before the demo came out that the broadcast cam will be customizable?
The stadium cam is great and makes a big difference.
But it's a love and hate thing for me as I'm still struggling with the right setting.
Thought, ideal would be 0,10,7 as I posted a couple of pages back.
But too often the ball doesn't go where I want it to.
I went to 0,10,2 which is a lot better, but doesn't look that nice.... Lol.

Guess I'll just wait for the cam mods.

I've retook the demo today after a few days and I indeed feel the game sharper. Like CPU is more cynical or something when attacks. I thought it was placebo, but it seems I'm not the only one experiencing it.

By the way, on the physical question, I don't think it's all black and white. When I play against, or as Man U, I can feel a substantial difference than when I use for example Colo Colo. There isn't just shielding.. there are also plain shoulder vs shoulder, high balls which your player could put down with the chest while pressured.. and it's undoubtely easier to success in this stuff with stronger players.

For example I don't know if you guys paid attention when you tackled with, or against Pogba. You can't tell me he does feel like a random cmf.. he actually feels like a fucking brick wall :D .

Here for example I tried shield the ball from him with a Colo Colo player.. and he just quickly hulked me away.. lol

Just sexy header animation

giphy.gif

Messi is too fragile,no point using barcelona here, juve is much better team

He is arguably the worlds best player, and if his international form was as good as his club form you could easily argue the greatest ever. He is also PES poster boy, how on earth, bearing in mind PES infamous focus on player individuality you can possiby say Messi is anything but a god in this game, then you're seriously missing something.

I play online and are forever getting destroyed by him. He is a fucking nightmare.

Messi IRL is isnt your 6 foot 2, 15 stone powerhouse, he is fragile compared to most, jeez irl Barca have worked on trying to strenghen his physical build since he was a kid.

But that is not his genetics, and its slight nimble frame and low centre of gravity, ridiculous feet, brain, speed of thought and deft movements that make Messi what he is, plus a special god gifted talent.

Use his strengths, which isnt physicality and he's your opponents worst nightmare.

Just as he should be...

Last edited:
Understandable, I found that having Messi as a CF meant I could never cross it cos he just doesn't win headers, and he gets absolutely shattered whereas Suarez isn't bad in the air, and can run himself ragged.

Plus, who wants Suarez to help defend anyway!? He scores goals man! :D

Messi isnt Ronaldo in the air, so why even try this ?

Same reason Maradona never was drafted into the NBA....

I've retook the demo today after a few days and I indeed feel the game sharper. Like CPU is more cynical or something when attacks. I thought it was placebo, but it seems I'm not the only one experiencing it.

By the way, on the physical question, I don't think it's all black and white. When I play against, or as Man U, I can feel a substantial difference than when I use for example Colo Colo. There isn't just shielding.. there are also plain shoulder vs shoulder, high balls which your player could put down with the chest while pressured.. and it's undoubtely easier to success in this stuff with stronger players.

For example I don't know if you guys paid attention when you tackled with, or against Pogba. You can't tell me he does feel like a random cmf.. he actually feels like a fucking brick wall :D .

Here for example I tried shield the ball from him with a Colo Colo player.. and he just quickly hulked me away.. lol
Pogba is a monster.

Yes i still think if you are facing goal from any distance with any player you can hit the target well. And it becomes contextual once you are using your wrong foot, the ball bounces, spins, the body position is not quiet there....but still in old PES you could have really crappy shots from this body position too(not to mention the others oh boy) and it felt more like the stats came into play. I've always wanted to hit long shots with Gerrard or Zidane but not wiht Beckham, i always wanted to hit R2 shots and from difficult angles or lobbed boals(another type of shot 2020 needs nerfing) with Riquelme or Ronaldinho, i always wanted to have 1to1s with a striker rather than a midfielder. Stats felt much more prominent regarding shooting.

While in 2020 its the best on this generation its still quiet not there. However im enjoying the lot despite of this as the rest of the game is superior to the old games. Well...besides the tactical side of the game....and well besides the GOD DAMN FREE KICKS...which is proves my point regarding shooting even more how basic it is in some areas. Last night i played two games and i scored 3 goals, only scored from free kicks again!

200.gif

Lets agree to disagree.

One thing I know is Ive a Youtube channel full of videos of crazy goals from PES over the years. And the difference is like night and day for me.

The biggest change regardless of fundemental technical dynamics is the power and how much you apply. This has drastically changed from every other PES game whether you're using Ronaldo, Messi or the newer generation of the Gerrards and Lampards of the game.

Messi IRL is isnt your 6 foot 2, 15 stone powerhouse, he is fragile, jeez irl Barca gave worked on trying to strenghen his physical build since he was a kid.
We’re not talking about how much he can benchpress.

We’re talking about how he shrugs off defenders like they aren’t even there

That’s exactly my point....
Oops, apologies, crossed-wires there bud.

Edit. In my defence, again, why use the wing/flank cross tactics with Messi as a CF? Surely you would cut inside and drop Messi short to a pass to feet them use him to jink his way in the box to create a shooting opportunity?

Last edited:
Reactions: OBH
We’re not talking about how much he can benchpress.

We’re talking about how he shrugs off defenders like they aren’t even there

Messi doesnt shrug off defenders, he makes them look mugs through agility, balance, quick feet, speed of direction and just all out genius. Its not his physical strength that is coming out the winner, its everything else.

Last edited:
I have played a few online games as Barca.
All of matches were agains Juventus (maybe 4 or 5). One draw and all loses.
I was with default formation and just could not get together.
It was like playing in slow motion while my opponents were all over the pitch.
-Every match -All different opponents.

I am mostly winning, with Bayern. Played also with other teams without problems. But Barcelona seems like it is broken?
I tried different tactics..still the same. Slow motion, Barcelona players just react extremely slow???

BTW when I play against Barca, I did not pay attention yet, but I think that I have lost only once in a more than..idk, 20 games..I just thought that my opponent does not playing great and that there is no issues with Barca.

Only players who is half decent is Coutinho and Pique.
Messi could not keep the ball for more than one second. Suarez have nice shooting abilities, but it is really hard to get in the position, because, once again, everything is just too slow?

In the same evening I`v switched to Bayern, and is all good. So I guess it is not some lag issue...

You’ve just got to know how to use Barca..That’s what I love about this game!..

I can get them singing..Will post a vid.

That's a good read mate,I usually use your tactics every year,takes a while to set it up to my primary ML leagues (I usually edit Serie A-B)
Hope you got the stamina for a tactics thread this year as well mate

I love making the tactics and now I'm back on the PC it will be much much easier than in the last few years. like i said, i should just start now :LOL: I know there is still more to discover in the game but there is significantly less change with tactics for PES 2019 to PES 2010 compared to every single other year. I think maybe i could calm down completely with the full backs being not really needed to be pushed up, attacking fullbacks should be enough.

On point Jim..and perfectly reflected in the game!
Try and play and control Messi like you would Pogba and you will not only waste his abilities but also fall short in many departments. Spin that coin over, and Pogba will equally struggle. Horses for courses.

Individuality has been the hallmark of PES forever. It has now just been ramped up over the years with all the player cards and individual traits to work alongside the stats.

I remember years ago with Babangida, give him the ball and he could ruin teams with his speed and score for fun. There is so much more now across every level individuality wise.

I love making the tactics and now I'm back on the PC it will be much much easier than in the last few years. like i said, i should just start now :LOL: I know there is still more to discover in the game but there is significantly less change with tactics for PES 2019 to PES 2010 compared to every single other year. I think maybe i could calm down completely with the full backs being not really needed to be pushed up, attacking fullbacks should be enough.
Sounds good pal,looking fw to them as always!

Messi doesnt shrug off defenders, he makes them look mugs through agility, balance, quick feet, speed of direction and just all out genius. Its not his physical strength that is coming out the winner, its everything else.

That's my point, I haven't seen the CPU do this once with him. He either passes it short or I shrug him off the ball with my defender. As I previously posted, I've had much more problems stopping Coutinho.

This is all offline, I don't play online.

I really dont get how to use this R2 finess dribble. Plus, Ive played on PC with 10 minutes, SS difficulty against Barcelona and I find the game very cheated. I just cant disposess Rakitic, Coutinho or Suarez. They dont even get unbalanced. Its like they have a force field around them. It looks like PES 6.

On point Jim..and perfectly reflected in the game!
@Jimmy G-Force
You two lads must be living on another planet.

You think PES interepets Messi perfectly? Just go watch any one of the hundreds if not thousands of youtube videos. Doesn't matter if it's last season or 10 years ago - defenders kick him, try to shove him over, pull on his shirt, they cannot get it off him. Messi is so rarely on the ground from a fair tackle, and when he's at pace and they're behind him they have no chance. When Messi is running side by side to a defender, sometimes one of each side, they still cannot get the ball off him or get him on the floor without fouling him.

Yet on PES if you let any defender, no matter how average they are, get near you when you're sprinting - you lose it.

Skill wise, absolutely, I couldn't agree with you more. Actually controlling him is fantastic, and a brilliant representation.

Physically? NOTHING like him.

I really dont get how to use this R2 finess dribble. Plus, Ive played on PC with 10 minutes, SS difficulty against Barcelona and I find the game very cheated. I just cant disposess Rakitic, Coutinho or Suarez. They dont even get unbalanced. Its like they have a force field around them. It looks like PES 6.
R2 isn't finesse dribble. You just hold R2 to take a better touch in whatever direction you choose.
The right stick is finesse dribble

Got to say I am loving the conversation in the last few posts about player abilities and how they play.

You remember them old Spectrum games where you'd get the magazine and you'd see al the pictures and then you'd play the game and even thought the game looked basic you still felt joy.

This conversation has similar effects - whetting the appetite for the full game.

IF MyClub was SOLID, we'd be posting all day long our videos of our players in MyClub and discussing their strengths and weaknesses, trading tips on how to use them best and working out why they work in one person's team and not quite in another. I'd probably be thinking about build a team around Lucas Moura.

ANyways, this is lovely stuff. Keep it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom