eFootball PES 2020 Demo Discussion Thread (PS4/Xbox)

Status
Not open for further replies.
And your point being ? How does that differ from real life ? Don't show the ball and its very hard to retrieve it. It helps to reduce the pressure whores of the past.

The amount of times I've seen players in real life lose the ball when they could have just put their body between the ball and the oncoming player...they either win a foul, or keep the ball. Not enough players do it.

Definitely, but again, more advanced. Messi in the right hands is unplayable, Ive been ripped a new asshole by a very good player online with Messi. Forget the sprint, use angles, shoulder drops, R2 and R3, shielding, and these tricky players are gamechangers from an attacking perspective.

The close control and beating of 4-5 men with Dybala Ive produced have been jaw dropping. And I'm still a rank amateur as its such a new system and I've barely played PES in years like I did many, many moons ago.
Messi is too fragile,no point using barcelona here, juve is much better team

Hi guys

First time back to PES and Evo-Web for me since PES 2016 on the PS3. I wasn't too excited about that title and was the last time Konami really fudged it up from a great demo to an average game.

But I am seriously loving this demo!!! This feels like the first time PES is really back since the PS2 glory days (I've been playing the series since ISS on the PS1). Playing on the PS4. I feel so confident in fact that I will definitely be buying the full game come release. Even if they change it for the worse before release they've gotten so many things right this time that it will still be a good footie game and much better than FIFA, which I was seriously considering moving over to before I tried this demo - although it would have been FIFA 18 since I usually play World Cups couch co-op with a friend - that has always been where PES shines for me.

Currently on Professional with PA1, basic tb and shooting. Not only do I need to get back into PES, I also feel that the game plays more naturally on professional and the AI is still giving me a pretty hard time. They’re dribbling, they challenge me when I’m on the offense, they’re crossing from the wings and they’re taking plenty of shots from outside the box. Loving it!

I’m still working my way through this thread taking in every little piece of advice regarding camera angle (still prefer the good ol’ custom cam, but I appreciate Konami trying something different – I’ve just never really been into having things look like I’m watching a game, I’m more concerned with being able to see the action and being in control, trying to play a good game of football), dribbling (this has changed a lot since the old days, but I’m loving it so far) and playing defense (I’ve learned to love the new refs but they do seem to be very biased towards the opponent AI). So thank you guys so much for sharing your preferred settings, tips and tricks and guides. Really appreciate it!

One question: When did PES free kicks become so over powered? I scored on my first attempt on a FK and almost scored on the second. And I was playing with one of the poorer South American teams… I remember in the golden days on PS2 when I would train FKs for hours just to get a decent shot on getting a goal in matches. And while I got pretty good at it I would probably only score 1 out of 4 times – and this was with Beckham and the likes. I don’t mind if they make it a LITTLE bit easier, but this seems a little drastic. It doesn’t really feel like an achievement this time around… If there is one thing I hope they do something about before release, it would be that. But I’m just fine with them not touching a thing, the rest is so good!!!

One last question: Where are you preordering from? I'm in Denmark but have no problem ordering from the UK or other European country as long as it's the right offer. Thanks.

I forgot to record one thing I never realized I could do, pure luck. As Rashford is about to receive a pass coming straight at him, I slightly push the left stick towards the right and then immediately towards the left upon controlling, Rashford shifts his body as he was gonna turn right but at the last moment he goes to the left, what makes it better is that CPU followed the initial movement and as a result was dribbled past with the change of direction. I knew you could do this with the ball at your feet but never realized it could happen before controlling it

Wow, really ? I'm absolutely flabbergasted by that comment. As those who know me, I could write a 1000 word argument in detail as to why I stand by my opinion on the shooting variation. But not only do I not have the time, if you can't see what they have accomplished here in soooooo many areas than it would fall on deaf ears.

I will say this, 70% of goals in previous PES games I would have either scored, or hit the target with the same type of contextual strike. Not in this, not even R2's or the dinks.

The random nature is a work of art, even with top players like Messi, Ive seen them screw wide R2 shots from close range with his left peg. Absolute gimmes previously.

On a different note, how do you drive that low shot ? Its shoot followed by another button but I cant remember what ?

R2 and L2 manual high long passes are amazing.

Yes i still think if you are facing goal from any distance with any player you can hit the target well. And it becomes contextual once you are using your wrong foot, the ball bounces, spins, the body position is not quiet there....but still in old PES you could have really crappy shots from this body position too(not to mention the others oh boy) and it felt more like the stats came into play. I've always wanted to hit long shots with Gerrard or Zidane but not wiht Beckham, i always wanted to hit R2 shots and from difficult angles or lobbed boals(another type of shot 2020 needs nerfing) with Riquelme or Ronaldinho, i always wanted to have 1to1s with a striker rather than a midfielder. Stats felt much more prominent regarding shooting.

While in 2020 its the best on this generation its still quiet not there. However im enjoying the lot despite of this as the rest of the game is superior to the old games. Well...besides the tactical side of the game....and well besides the GOD DAMN FREE KICKS...which is proves my point regarding shooting even more how basic it is in some areas. Last night i played two games and i scored 3 goals, only scored from free kicks again!

200.gif

Definitely, but again, more advanced. Messi in the right hands is unplayable, Ive been ripped a new asshole by a very good player online with Messi. Forget the sprint, use angles, shoulder drops, R2 and R3, shielding, and these tricky players are gamechangers from an attacking perspective.

The close control and beating of 4-5 men with Dybala Ive produced have been jaw dropping. And I'm still a rank amateur as its such a new system and I've barely played PES in years like I did many, many moons ago.

I only play vs the CPU. When I control players I can definitely feel the difference, when the CPU is aside from strength and speed, not so much. I've found Ronaldo and Messi to be the easiest players to disposses actually.

I only play vs the CPU. When I control players I can definitely feel the difference, when the CPU is aside from strength and speed, not so much. I've found Ronaldo and Messi to be the easiest players to disposses actually.
Try and play me one v one and you wont be able to contain me with messi and ronaldo :)

Release day patch:

reduced the frequency of shielding the ball for both CPU and for user
reduced frequency of fouls
improved passing assistance (read as: more passing assistance)
smoother pace of the match (higher pace), players will now be able to increase match flow at lighting speed
reduced player inertia, smoother and faster player movement
removed fatigue and improved pressing efficiency

This is what i expect, unfortunately, thanks to the "awesome" feedback many are giving to Konami.

It already happened in Fifa 20 beta as @Chris Davies reported, it will happen in Pes, that's guaranteed.

When did PES free kicks become so over powered?

Pes 2019 had this issue too, don't remember this being a thing in Pes 2018.

Has anyone else noticed that the GK throwing animations are completely broken?

They were perfect in 2019, they always picked correctly whether the throw it over arm or under arm depending on how far away the player is, but now they throw it over arm to a player 2 feet away from them.

Ive also noticed (only against arsenal but I’m sure it works against other teams) If the CPU gk takes a short goal kick even once, he’ll from then on take a short gk to the same player EVERY SINGLE TIME. So you can just repeatedly intercept it. Beat them 6-1 by exploiting this. If you change formation though you encourage him to kick it elsewhere.

Shield the ball, shield the ball, shield the ball. Fast becoming all this game is.
This makes me laugh.
I spent 6 years watching Mousa Dembele build his entire game around this at Spurs. How is good shielding mechanics anything but a good thing?

Granted maybe Dybala shouldn’t be able to hold off Pique like he’s nothing, but they’ve nailed an aspect of football which is notoriously rubbish in football games.

Also the defensive line is a bit dodgy. They drop of as passes go into the front man to help the game artificially engineer space.

I've played around with tight marking which does help but that's and advanced tactic so you can only pick two players.

FIFA does this as well and it's equally annoying. It makes almost impossible to contain attacks (without using the offside command). No teams in real life defend like this.

Contextual shot error barely exists, at least on manual.

It's most noticeable on corners - ping it to the guy on the edge of the box to hit first time. Often this seems to be the right-back, and even with such an awkward ball arriving from an angle with height and pace, as long as you hold the stick towards goal and don't use too much power, it will be smashed first time on target every time. Even on the weak foot.

The only times you get crap shots on manual seems to be when turning more than 90 degrees to shoot.

Example of unresponsive shooting, not a perfect example but i've experienced many such similar situations in the demo (and for like the past 5 years now in pes games..). could have been a nice goal too:

2 nice goals i scored (full manual controls, online 1v1):

Sorry, but I deeply disagree here!

Since you have that slow motion part in it, you can see it quite properly.
Your pass is fine, the power too.

But you are changing your running direction towards the goal/keeper.
You can see it at 0:16...at that second you are not running straight no more, your player makes a tiny curve to the right.

If you kept running straight the same line, your player probably would have reached the ball before the keeper and maybe would have taken his shot.
But you can clearly see, that you are actually running away a little bit from it.
Am I the only one seeing that?

That is no matter of responsiveness, that´s a matter of you steering your player.
I guess it´s because you were ready to aim your shot before the player receveid the ball. That´s why he changed his moving direction.

BUT:
If your player automatically had taken that tiny little curve, as the game wants it that way, cause he ran on rails, I take everyrthing back!
But tbh....I kinda doubt it.

I still think Messi can be shaken off the ball very easily, when I control him and when the AI controls him too.
He's lacking that physical power, strength, balance or whatever you want to call it that he has in real life. Sometimes he even uses those collisions or physical pushes from the rivals to gain more speed or change directions, because you can't move him or dispossess him unless you foul him or he makes a mistake.
In PES 2020 I'd much rather control Douglas Costa than Messi, which is a terrible thing to say.

I was actually mentally trying to picture my idea Master League team after a couple of seasons. What players do I want to get?.
And that's when I thought: Damn... I can't rely on this stats system. Because if Douglas Costa is more consistent than Messi, than I'll probably have to wait until the game comes out and test it thoroughly in and out, in order to see which players are really worth it.

For instance: I want to go for Sané, but if he's not as a fast or as good as a dribbler as he is in real life, then what's the point?.

Contextual shot error barely exists, at least on manual.

It's most noticeable on corners - ping it to the guy on the edge of the box to hit first time. Often this seems to be the right-back, and even with such an awkward ball arriving from an angle with height and pace, as long as you hold the stick towards goal and don't use too much power, it will be smashed first time on target every time. Even on the weak foot.

The only times you get crap shots on manual seems to be when turning more than 90 degrees to shoot.

Well with manual there shouldnt be any, if its contextual it based on stats combined with ball physics and body position. On manual stats barely matter, perhaps shot power but surely not finishing.

I still think Messi can be shaken off the ball very easily, when I control him and when the AI controls him too.
He's lacking that physical power, strength, balance or whatever you want to call it that he has in real life. Sometimes he even uses those collisions or physical pushes from the rivals to gain more speed or change directions, because you can't move him or dispossess him unless you foul him or he makes a mistake.
In PES 2020 I'd much rather control Douglas Costa than Messi, which is a terrible thing to say.

I was actually mentally trying to picture my idea Master League team after a couple of seasons. What players do I want to get?.
And that's when I thought: Damn... I can't rely on this stats system. Because if Douglas Costa is more consistent than Messi, than I'll probably have to wait until the game comes out and test it thoroughly in and out, in order to see which players are really worth it.

For instance: I want to go for Sané, but if he's not as a fast or as good as a dribbler as he is in real life, then what's the point?.

Remember i showed you the comparison screen? God damn Coutinho has lower physical than Messi! And Coutinho is a beast in this game. Either cpu or you control him. I still think if you control Messi you still can do nice runs, however hes not so godly like in real life. I think Aubameyang is the most fearsome striker in the demo (ai control).

Remember i showed you the comparison screen? God damn Coutinho has lower physical than Messi! And Coutinho is a beast in this game. Either cpu or you control him. I still think if you control Messi you still can do nice runs, however hes not so godly like in real life. I think Aubameyang is the most fearsome striker in the demo (ai control).

Exactly!
Yeah I remember! That's why I posted my previous message. I forgot to @ you :PP
Messi is very good in this demo, don't get me wrong. I've tried playing him in several different positions (AMF, LWF, CF, SS) and I can't seem to be able to get the best out of him.

But he's good when you have 2 or 3 defenders with a certain space between each of then, so you can accelerate, decelerate, zig-zag and pass the ball.
But if you're going toe to toe with one of them, you'll probably get dispossessed and then feel frustrated because... well, it's Messi.

I found Dybala to be more productive and active than Messi, as well.

just played my first game of the demo offline (just to make sure i'm ready to jump into an online match when the time was right). barc vs arsenal.

I can see exactly why 2020 will appeal to a lot of current pes online players and it is simply down to the camera (i'm assuming the offline cam is same for online).

making this option as default is a game changer for online and if you're an online player then i'd probably say a purchase (not a pre-order btw) is justified. HOWEVER, if you are an offline player I would suggest your copy of pes 2019 out and switching to broadcast cam.

SO for the moment :

pros - new online cam, fresh controls for a new generation of pes player

cons - fresh controls may impact on returning to past pes, similarities to existing 2019 broadcast cam, lack of confidence in online ranking system/cheat deterrent systems

obviously yet to see how the final release sways me either way but for time being will likely be a discount buy

Exactly!
Messi is very good in this demo, don't get me wrong. I've tried playing him in several different positions (AMF, LWF, CF, SS) and I can't seem to be able to get the best out of him.

But he's good when you have 2 or 3 defenders with a certain space between each of then, so you can accelerate, decelerate, zig-zag and pass the ball.
But if you're going toe to toe with one of them, you'll probably get dispossessed and then feel frustrated because... well, it's Messi.

In the games I've played against the CPU Dybala and Coutinho have been the most dangerous players. It got to the point where I was checking replays, cause Coutinho was doing Messi like dribbling while the Messi was stumbling and getting brushed off the ball.

The demo is very good overall, its' the most I've played any Pro game in years. Right now if'

Individuality was more pronounced
The back line stopped retreating to allow the attacking team space

I would have pre-purchased, my finger was hovering over the button, but I couldn't bring myself to do it yet after being burned so many times before. I'm not on Twitter but if I was I would post to them about these issues.

Would like some more Master League news as well, I used to play it so much, start with the default team on the hardest difficulty and work my way up. Unfrotunately then it and the game went downhill.

Bring back the originals I say, Castollo, Burchet, Valery etc

Last edited:
Exactly!

The issue with Messi is specifically when he's sprinting.

At walking pace he's incredible, you can twist and turn and as so long as you don't turn directly into a defenders foot he's incredibly difficult to tackle, but when you're sprinting, any player faster than him, no matter how average a defender he is, seems to be able to shove him off the ball with ease.

Personally, I find playing him as an AMF gets the most out of him because you can either play it directly to his feet and he then has lots of opportunities to play at walking pace, or play it into Suarez and he makes runs like this beyond him.

ezgif-3-1e573a16316f.gif

The issue with Messi is specifically when he's sprinting.

At walking pace he's incredible, you can twist and turn and as so long as you don't turn directly into a defenders foot he's incredibly difficult to tackle, but when you're sprinting, any player faster than him, no matter how average a defender he is, seems to be able to shove him off the ball with ease.

Personally, I find playing him as an AMF gets the most out of him because you can either play it directly to his feet and he then has lots of opportunities to play at walking pace, or play it into Suarez and he makes runs like this beyond him.

I got the most out of him by playing him as CF, honestly. And Suarez as the second striker.
Why? Because that forces Suarez to come back and help defending while Messi can relax, chill out and catch breath until my next attack.

I got the most out of him by playing him as CF, honestly. And Suarez as the second striker.
Why? Because that forces Suarez to come back and help defending while Messi can relax, chill out and catch breath until my next attack.
Understandable, I found that having Messi as a CF meant I could never cross it cos he just doesn't win headers, and he gets absolutely shattered whereas Suarez isn't bad in the air, and can run himself ragged.

Plus, who wants Suarez to help defend anyway!? He scores goals man! :D

Messi to easily out muscled?..superstar..

Xbox one x..Far more indicative of the final product imo ..Less acceleration in the ball while passing,the refs are more balanced and overall the game feels tighter and more responsive,especially the cursor..The PS4 demo also is a lot faster imo.And there’s much more zip and aceleration in the ball while passing,especially on the deck.

There’s also a lot more inconsistencies in the PS4 demo..Bugs,glitches.

I’m going with the Xbox one x version..Option file aside,technically its superior..The elite controller also gives the game a level of response and feel,I just don’t get from the DualShock or standard Xbox controller.

Last edited:
Release day patch:

reduced the frequency of shielding the ball for both CPU and for user
reduced frequency of fouls
improved passing assistance (read as: more passing assistance)
smoother pace of the match (higher pace), players will now be able to increase match flow at lighting speed
reduced player inertia, smoother and faster player movement
removed fatigue and improved pressing efficiency

This is what i expect, unfortunately, thanks to the "awesome" feedback many are giving to Konami.

It already happened in Fifa 20 beta as @Chris Davies reported, it will happen in Pes, that's guaranteed.

Pes 2019 had this issue too, don't remember this being a thing in Pes 2018.

Oh, lord, I first read that thinking it was confirmed and my heart dropped. Fingers crossed this won't happen!

just played my first game of the demo offline (just to make sure i'm ready to jump into an online match when the time was right). barc vs arsenal.

I can see exactly why 2020 will appeal to a lot of current pes online players and it is simply down to the camera (i'm assuming the offline cam is same for online).

making this option as default is a game changer for online and if you're an online player then i'd probably say a purchase (not a pre-order btw) is justified. HOWEVER, if you are an offline player I would suggest your copy of pes 2019 out and switching to broadcast cam.

SO for the moment :

pros - new online cam, fresh controls for a new generation of pes player

cons - fresh controls may impact on returning to past pes, similarities to existing 2019 broadcast cam, lack of confidence in online ranking system/cheat deterrent systems

obviously yet to see how the final release sways me either way but for time being will likely be a discount buy

Sounds like that PES 2020 is all about the cam only.
Broadcast cam is not customizable and the zoom at the sidelines is a killer.
Unless you meant the modded one, but since this is the console thread...

There´s a lot more imho...physicality and animations for example are levelled up compared to PES 2019.

But since you played one game only :)

Fouls have been toned down as well since that update. They needed to be but I think it's gone a little too far the other way.

Must be tough to get right though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom