Champions League 2011/12

Ironic that this is coming from you drekkard. My son would give an arm to see one Barcelona match...
I think most of us would want to live in Barcelona and be a Barcelona socio...nowadays watching Barcelona is like going to an arts exhibition...culture.

I remember the days i lived in Ghent (beautifull city) and could take the train to watch the home matches of Lille...i would like to do that now: Hazard blossoming and Joe Cole turning out to be a very good player once again...

Well, I'm enjoying football so much with our current team that I'm already depressed in advance for the time this era of glory ends. It will be tough to come back to earth...

But I would enjoy watching football in a lot of stadiums. Just entering the stadium and noticing the smell of grass is magic.

PS: If you ever come to Barcelona, let me know in advance, I can check if someone can lend their passes or buy tickets much cheaper than normal. Surely watching Messi live is one of the reasons to come. Well, there's also the city, but the city will be here in 10 years and Messi won't. Come on Gerd, don't force your son to give an arm for it! Fathers...

HEARTbreak for Villarreal who are now out of it!

They didn't deserve anything out of their first 2 games in which they were very poor but they certainly deserved something tonight and RIGHT at the end, with the very last kick of the game, they've lost it and are now surely out to make a miserable season even worse!

They played very well tonight and at times mocked City and their millionaires at their own stadium passing the ball so well, all technically proficient, nice pass and move and frustrating a City side who wanted to score by not even allowing them to have the ball.

Garrido's men finally looked like a good side (for dare I say the first time this season today) and yet they've ended it with absolutely nothing to show for it and Man City on the other hand now look in good position.

I'm a big fan of Dzeko and think he's top but today was one of his poorest performances. Didn't do much right at all and was lucky that despite him leading the line and doing it poorly, his team have managed to keep their CL hopes alive.

If City are serious about CL though, they're gonna need to play a LOT better than they did today. They were a bit fortunate at the end and that same luck won't necessarily be there when they lock horns with Napoli and Bayern and maybe not even against Villarreal in their home ground in Valencia. They've certainly given themselves a good chance now though and you wouldn't bet against them going through now though there is a lot of work ahead and it's far from a certainty.

Napoli were rather lucky to win a point against Bayern yesterday evening. Napoli were dominated throughout the match. There was some justice in the missed penalty, because in the first half Schweinsteiger made a much more blatant hands in the box, which wasn't given (and i'm not sure if either should have been a penalty, but if the first wasn't, then the second certainly wasn't). It all will come down to Napoli's home match against Man City.

Good to hear that Villareal are playing better, it's a team i like a lot.

IMO Bayern are the second best team in Europe (after Barcelona) at the moment.

Napoli were rather lucky to win a point against Bayern yesterday evening. Napoli were dominated throughout the match. There was some justice in the missed penalty, because in the first half Schweinsteiger made a much more blatant hands in the box, which wasn't given (and i'm not sure if either should have been a penalty, but if the first wasn't, then the second certainly wasn't). It all will come down to Napoli's home match against Man City.

Good to hear that Villareal are playing better, it's a team i like a lot.

IMO Bayern are the second best team in Europe (after Barcelona) at the moment.

I agree, Bayern is looking scary even for Barcelona fan like me. Especially with Manchester United display yesterday.. where they barely got a win (some bad luck too, but still). I predict we might not see Manchester United in finals / 1/4 this year.

Real Madrid looking really good also, would love to see Real Madrid - Bayern, instead of Real - Barcelona in 1/8 again.

Napoli is second team, who score without a single shoot on goal (shoot on target).
Yea i say that there was penalty because Schweinsteiger arm, but there was lot of wrong decisions... like foul on Scwainsteiger on 16m (end of first half), foul on Ribery also around 16m when he go on counter alone...

btw.
YouTube - Neapel - FC Bayern 18.10.11 Anpfiff Stimmung

Last edited:
I still think the two big spanish clubs are meant to face each other in the final if they don't meet sooner, but Bayern and Manchester have shown they're solid and competitive and they can pose a big threat to Barça and Real.

I have nothing against one of those 4 teams, but i would really like to see four other teams in the semi-finals...teams like Shakthar, Zentith, Porto, Napoli, Ajax, ...but we all know that this is an utopian wish...to be honest, as much as i like a club like Barcelona...i want change....i wouldn't mind Man City (but this would mean that Napoli would not go beyond the group stage).

This evening my favourite team Genk are playing Chelsea at Stamford Bridge. Right at the moment they have plenty of injured players...they haven't got a single CB, i fear a bollocking...

Napoli is second team, who score without a single shoot on goal (shoot on target).
Yea i say that there was penalty because Schweinsteiger arm, but there was lot of wrong decisions... like foul on Scwainsteiger on 16m (end of first half), foul on Ribery also around 16m when he go on counter alone...

btw.
YouTube - Neapel - FC Bayern 18.10.11 Anpfiff Stimmung

You could tell Bayern are a tier 1 team compared to everyone else in this group, but credit to Napoli for holding out and getting a goal against the big boys.

Have to say, the fans were great for both teams - very loud and very active. Games like this make European nights special. Such a tense game and it's just the 3rd group game.

2610.png
3-1
52758.png

Borussia Dortmund players during warmup
YouTube - Olympiakos - Borussia Dortmund 20/10/2011 Part1

Introduction of the teams (you can skip to 4:13)
YouTube - Olympiakos - Borussia Dortmund 20/11/2011 Part2

Goals:
http://www.goal4replay.net/VideoWatchF.asp?Ln=En&ID=59914 1-0
http://www.goal4replay.net/VideoWatchF.asp?Ln=En&ID=59915 1-1
http://www.goal4replay.net/VideoWatchF.asp?Ln=En&ID=59916 2-1
http://www.goal4replay.net/VideoWatchF.asp?Ln=En&ID=59919 3-1

Final moments
YouTube - Olympiakos - Borussia Dortmund 20/10/2011 Part3

Stats:

Olympiacos - Dortmund
3 Goals scored 1
4 Attempts on target 4
5 Attempts off target 4
3 Corners 3
4 Offsides 3
11 Fouls committed 13
0 Yellow cards 1
0 Red cards 0

What a nightmare of a match, 2-0 after barely 10 minutes.
4-0 after the first half and then Chelsea showed some mercy...thank you Chelsea.
Genk missed all their CB's, their play maker (Töszer) had to play as CB together with what must be the worst Argentinian player i've ever seen. In the second half Genk played with 2 DMF's at CB and a right back and LMF as CMF/DMF...
It could have been worse because Cheslea played without Drogba, Terry and what are currently IMO their two best players: Ramirez and Mata. Chelsea should also have got a penalty.
Clubs like Genk simply haven't got the financial means to play half decent in the CL...you win the Jupiler League with homegrown players and then you get ridiculized in the CL.

You know what the worst is? I've got a ticket for the home match against Chelsea...dear, oh dear...and i can't afford staying home because i promised my daughter to go...she is a big Chelsea fan.

Last edited:
Will any of the Genk CBs be back next week ? Btw, I agree with Nicola, Shakhtar - Zenit was the best CL game I've seen in years, a credit to both teams and I hope they both go through.

In the best home ground of the entire Europe, Olympiacos triumphed 3-1 over the German champions Dortmund and paid his debt against Germany.

Dortmund's players, who play every week in front of 80000 fans said they have not seen a similar atmosphere before and that the home fans support actually stopped them from playing their game. This is actually a confession, a truth that we all know, that Olympiacos fans are the best in the entire Europe.

309696_10150339996957800_26118052799_8381221_1695257602_n.jpg

In the best home ground of the entire Europe, Olympiacos triumphed 3-1 over the German champions Dortmund and paid his debt against Germany.

Dortmund's players, who play every week in front of 80000 fans said they have not seen a similar atmosphere before and that the home fans support actually stopped them from playing their game. This is actually a confession, a truth that we all know, that Olympiacos fans are the best in the entire Europe.

309696_10150339996957800_26118052799_8381221_1695257602_n.jpg

We all love Greece! Kind people, amazing landscapes!

Shakhtar-Zenit 2:2
One of the best CL match i ever watched!

Yes mate, my hurt was pumping, adrenalin..

Zenit looks really good, especially if you take into account that Kerzhakov wasen't playing (16 goals,7 assists in RPL).

Btw Zenit lost last time on home ground in April 2011 .. So Shaktar won't win in second game.. <- for those who like to bet :)

I don't think any of Genk's centre backs will be back for the home match...i'm pretty sure otherwise Genk would also have lost the match, but it could have been a more even match...poor Kevin De Bruyne...Chelsea are interested in him and he never had the chance to show something positive...it could well be that he can forget his big transfer.

Shakhtar 2-2 Zenit

Wow, that's a match! Fantastic! :DANCE: Even despite the fact that Zenit did not achieve victory, but I'm happy to say that yesterday I watched the match just gorgeous, I think, even the best of all those that have been played in the 3rd round. Goals are simply feast for the eyes. Very pleased Bukharov, who, I think yesterday showed almost the best game for his time spent at Zenit, well done man! In short, well done Zenit, yesterday was just a legendary game, I hope he will continue to delight me and all his fans a game in European fields. :BSCARF:

APOEL also very pleasantly surprised by playing with Porto 1-1, for them it is really a very good result, moreover, they have not lost in the group have never, well done, great result! The initial outsider of group became unconditional favorite, well, look ... :P

Very disappointing Genk, this club is not only the weakest in the group, but also in the group stage. I hope the remaining three matches will Genk much better and be able to catch on for at least one point, good luck! :THINK:

Nah, they don't judge him by one game especially one like this where your team is all out of sort and full of injuries. Plus if Chelsea give up on him, someone else will sign him. Either way, it's a win win situation for Kevin.

Shakhtar vs. Zenit sounds amazing!! I said this is the match I really wanna see this CL round and goddamn, they showed 3 CL matches here where I live on Tuesday and another 3 on Wednesday but of course this one didn't make it while they're showing Man Utd vs. Romanian champs just because Man Utd is in it or Barca vs. Plzen. Ridiculous!

Now I gotta get it off somewhere and watch this match because as expected, it turned out to be a classic between the Russian and Ukranian giants!

I do agree the atmosphere in Olympiakos is always tough, but it's far from being the best in europe, in my opinion... Since 2000 you have lost 12 european matches at home. Benfica, for example, has lost 18 home european matches in its whole history (being one played at Porto), in around 170 matches.
I'm giving Benfica's example because I obviously know its history and its said to have an impressive record at home.

I do agree the atmosphere in Olympiakos is always tough, but it's far from being the best in europe, in my opinion... Since 2000 you have lost 12 european matches at home. Benfica, for example, has lost 18 home european matches in its whole history (being one played at Porto), in around 170 matches.
I'm giving Benfica's example because I obviously know its history and its said to have an impressive record at home.
You are wrong here. No one said Olympiacos has a home record. Those records are made mostly by Manchester, Milan, Barcelona etc.
I am talking about the fans and the atmosphere. There is NO other stadium in Europe in which the fans create such an atmosphere and push the team to win. We have won numerous times against great teams only because their players could not get used to the atmosphere in the stadium. There is no one doubting that Olympiacos fans are the best in Europe. Maybe it is not good for Olympiacos team to say that, but ALL coaches of the other teams after the draw, they all say they fear of the Karaiskaki stadium.

I think this is going to be hard for anyone to agree on. Manchester were shitting themselves at San Siro when we won 3-0.... they literally couldn't get in the game and looked scared.

What about the intimidating atmosphere of Fenerbahce's home games? Or AEK Athens in their CL run a few years ago? Benfica has a pretty strong fan base too, and don't forget some of Bayern's home games.

I remember a few years ago PSV - Milan, it was horrible watching the match on TV because all you could hear was a red army of PSV fans.

My point is, Olympiakos has great fans, but in big occasions, many teams have big fans, and I think it's great to see.

I agree with Milanista. I'm the first to say that Karaiskaki stadium has a great atmosphere, making it difficult for any team playing there (I should know with Benfica last trip to Olympiakos). As far as I know that's pretty common in Greece. PAOK and Aris have great support too, when playing at home.
But saying it's the best, it's a long road, in my opinion. There's a lot of great supporters through europe, and I'm not talking about GREAT teams, that are supposed to have nice home records. Celtic, for example, was known to be a very difficult opponent at home (almost as in the same way they are easy when they play away from Celtic Park), and that's mostly because of the fans.

Something that struck me that yesterday at Stamford Bridge, the only fans to make noise and support their club were the Genk fans...by then it was already 5-0. That is one of the reasons why i'm glad to be a fan of a litle club. Don't get me wrong, i really like some big clubs like Chelsea or Barcelona. It's just that their fans are (only) used to win...look at the reactions of Liverpool's fans last season and Arsenal's fans this season...there are millions of fans who want that their club was as "bad" as Arsenal and Liverpool...

Back
Top Bottom