Champions League 2010-11

You and I know it was a bad show tonight. You and I know football was almost out of this match too. But you and I know that at least one team tried to play football. So while I think both were bad, I also think one was even worse.

Barca edged it because they tried to play good football!

Still. Both should be totally ashamed of themselves! Barca there is NO EXCUSE for rolling around like babies every time a player touched you, the is NO EXCUSE for surrounding the referee they way you did, absolutely despicable!

To top it all off, your the worlds best team, whats the point?

As for Madrid, nothing, nothing positive came out of that game! Everything was awful, you spend 400+ million on players yet play like Stoke. In fact Stoke play better football than that!

Your manager complains about what was a harsh red card but your players kick the opposition in a shameless snide manner and think it's ok?

Again the surrounding the ref, was a Disgrace!

What the hell was that about at half time? Disgrace!

This match even with Messi absolute brilliance was a embarrassment to game of football, and those who hate the game football (rugby fans, American football fans, basketball etc..) Have every right to laugh at the joke that game was!

UEFA should be embarrassed. I think something needs to be done to sort out the diving and cheating culture in football. There should be a revolution so matches like that won't happen on the biggest stage!

I'm glad I didn't watch this one live. That was some absolutely disgraceful play acting tonight.

UEFA Diving Champions League, brought to you by Busquets, Alves, and every other pussy out there tonight. And Heineken.

for my opinion this is the worst CL i ever saw NO ONE match was good (just some of grupe) all others was shit i think final will be same shit

i dont know why referee are so stupid ??? they dont know yet what shits are alves and busquets ?

Embarrassing performance by both teams. Madrid more from a footballing standpoint considering the talent they have, and Barca more from a sportsmanship standpoint. Diving is one thing, all teams do it, no matter what their fans think. However the constant injury faking, rolling around like you were just shot, swarming the ref waving imaginary cards, etc. is something worse.

I've watched Pepe's foul on Dani Alves 5 times...he certainly touched him: this was a well justified sending off (even if Alves exagerated, i certainly agree with that).
Both Adebayor and Marcelo could also been sent off (Adebayor for the foul on Busquuets who should have got a yellow for provocation and could also have been sent off with a second yellow for play acting, and Marcelo for deliberately planting his foot on Pedro who was on the ground...).

I'm certainly biased, because Madrid is the club i like least but Pepe made foul after foul, Lassana Diarra never made horror tackles but he also made foul after foul. And then the play acting: i agree that players like Busquets, Dani Alves and other Barcelona players exagerated, but what about Di Maria, Ronaldo, and the back after Messi foul?

Let's be honest: yesterday there was only one team with the intention to play football and that was the team that won. Mourinho got beaten in his own game. Barcelona are not only the better football players, but they are also better what one could euphemistically "the uglier aspect of football", i.e. all the theatrics, the diving...

Madrid fans should not moan about the loss, they simply got beaten at their own game and the better team in a very ugly match won.

The diving was just disgusting from both teams. The Pedro and Busquets dives really got on my nerve and what made it worse is all the Barcelona players ran to the ref and the linesmen pointing at their eyes as if watch out you piece of shit. What a bad bad thing that I have never seen before from any team.

Seriously, kind of players like Gattuso should be role models from all of the players that were on the pitch yesterday in terms of actually fighting for the ball and the win instead of diving and playing the ref.

Last edited:
4 games with Real = 4 red cards, obviously only team this year to somehow stop Barca needs to apply extreme pressure and that results in lots of cards. Its not a referee(most of the time) its a frustration of players that leed to stupid fouls/anger.

Barca are a disgrace. If I were one of their fans I'd be ashamed. Sure they can play beautiful football, and Messi is absolutely phenomenal, but the mentality of these people just ruins it all for me.

The diving, the acting, the way they constantly surround the ref, it's plain embarrassing. And it's just not one or two players, it's almost all of them.

Mind, Madrid weren't much better. They brought it upon themselves for not actually trying to play the game. I feel bad for Benzema and Higuain who had to watch that. They at least would have tried something.

The diving was just disgusting from both teams. The Pedro and Busquets dives really got on my nerve and what made it worse is all the Barcelona players ran to the ref and the linesmen pointing at their eyes as if watch out you piece of shit. What a bad bad thing that I have never seen before from any team.

Seriously, kind of players like Gattuso should be role models from all of the players that were on the pitch yesterday in terms of actually fighting for the ball and the win instead of diving and playing the ref.

I don't understand lot of the reactions in here.
I agree that Pedro, Busquets and Dani Alves behaved like idiots (and the biggest asshole is the second keeper of Barcelona). But i don't understand why the Real players are not mentioned. This was supposed to be a football match, yet one of the two teams clearly refused to play football (Real). Have you seen how Pepe behaved througout the match?

And then Gattuso as a role model...have you seen Milan-Spurs? I rest my case...

Sorry but Pepe never touches the boot of Alves at any point.

You could say it's a foul for going up with his studs up, but that is seen in EVERY single match, of that I have no doubt.

He touches the ball, which basically rolls Pepe's feet and doesn't come into contact with Alves at any point, then it's Swan Lake Central.

Sorry I love Barca's football, but they have some actors, yep, Real have them too, but Barca were/are just as bad. Busquets is an embarrasment as a footballer with his antics.

Never in a million years was that a sending off.

FD

Personally I don't even think Barcelona tried to play nice football, at least not in the first half. Their plan seemed to be, pass between CBs, play it down one wing to a dead end, play it back to the CBs, try the other wing - oh dead end, play it back again. They had no penetration, created nothing for 45 minutes of their patented 'best football ever if you don't see it you don't understand the way the game should be played'. You could have put me in that team and they'd of held the ball just as well, because they weren't even trying to get into the final third.

Madrid were cynical and nasty and I'm glad they're going out - but I just can't stand what this Barcelona team have become.

It would be like watching the Chicago Bulls of the early 90's with Pippen, Jordan etc, and then them diving, cheating and harassing refs. It's taken what should be a pinnacle of sporting achievement, and just reduced it to it a mockery. It is more of a disgrace in my opinion, then Madrid being dirty. Barcelona are better than that, but they clearly have the temperament of spoiled 3 year olds. And that must be coming from Pep.

People are getting so worked up by the game last night.... we've had plenty of duds in the past at this stage. One team didn't allow the other to play, so why would Barca risk all and then lose it? Why do they have to conform to what a group of people want to see.... I'm pretty sure the Barca fans would be over the moon if they won the CL rather than lose to Real trying. I think it's completely dramatic to call it 'disgraceful to football'.... this happens. Players are paid to win, not do tricks. Disgraceful to football is things like Inter chucking flares, Chelsea threatening Anders Frisk, Lille's players walking off the pitch and Bayern's mega offside goal that killed Fiorentina's chances.

Players dove, but some plays by Messi and some saves by Casillas were great last night. You see players dive in many other games, but only because it's Barcelona and Real, people are going mental. For the Pepe incident, if Alves left his foot there, it would've probably been pretty painful - he was stupid to make a meal of it, but it was still a dangerous challenge IMO... and like someone mentioned, inevitable that someone would get sent off.

And plus, I saw this more of a personal battle between Mou and Pep. One wanted to surprise Barca by preventing any forms of fast moving attack, the other wanted to out surprise Real by not pushing forward.

Cristiano Ronaldo even said during the post-game interview that Mou's tactic was to play for the 0-0 then put Kaka on with 20 minutes to go, but Pepe fucked it up with a careless challenge when the game was at a 0-0 stalemate.

I don't understand lot of the reactions in here.
I agree that Pedro, Busquets and Dani Alves behaved like idiots (and the biggest asshole is the second keeper of Barcelona). But i don't understand why the Real players are not mentioned. This was supposed to be a football match, yet one of the two teams clearly refused to play football (Real). Have you seen how Pepe behaved througout the match?

And then Gattuso as a role model...have you seen Milan-Spurs? I rest my case...

I said Gattuso in terms of mentality not as a whole. :D Seriously, once Gattuso injured his knee and then continued the match like a mad dog. That injury then kept him out of a year.

About the game, You don't blame a bad student for getting a bad grade but you blame the good one. I only mentioned the dives becuase they are what made the game over the top tense and made the referee lose control. I like Barcelona but yesterday they were far from the team we loved and praised.

Last edited:
All I've read is people moaning about Barca's diving. Not just in here but on other Social sites. Most of these people who moaned about it were Man Utd fans (actual friends of mine). I can't stand people diving one bit (if they do dive against our team then they won't need to again if you know what I mean) but what I find hilarious is the United fans going on about it when they have Nani in their team. They had Ronaldo for years too and these are some of the worst I've ever seen! It makes me laugh as they seem to forget this. Pot, kettle and all that. All as bad as each other. Too many do dive for Barca though and they need a talking too.

Tuesday nights game was boring as hell. Loads saying United were world class. Yes they played very well but Schalke offered sweet FA. United win 2 nil against a shite team (they were on the night, obviously not always that bad) but Barca go to Madrid and play keep ball and get slated. Yes it was a bit boring at times but Madrid having 17 men behind the ball does not help. People go on about not penetrating enough but Maureen's teams are masters of nullifying the space because there isn't any due to 90% of team virtually on their 18yd line. Barca played keep ball. They attempted to drag Madrid out but they were having none of it. Barca did what they needed to do. If Madrid went on to win playing the way they did, everyone would jump on the bandwagon of saying Mourinho is the best coach ever! Don't make me laugh. It's double standard bullshit!

I'd have slotted into that Barca team and oh what a joy it would have been to play footy with them. Keep ball masters. Over the season they score a shed load of goals so they are obviously doing something right.

I knew people would bring that out about Nani. Every team has the odd player that's a diver, sometimes two or three, no arguing there. In United's case that player's Nani. And yes sometimes you'll see players diving in the box to try and get a penalty, every team does. Yet do you think we encourage this type of behaviour? Hell no, and even for us United fans it's embarrassing seeing Nani rolling on the flour crying when it's clear he's just acting.

What Barca does is nothing like United or Arsenal. It's not just one player, it's the entire team. When you watch them, it feels as if they are told to go on the ground and fake injury whereas in Nani's case, that's just him being himself and sometimes trying to cheat his way in.

I don't argue the fact that they are capable of playing some of the most beautiful football in the game, I'm just saying a lot of their players are making them look like a bunch of cheaters that'll do anything to get their way.

What Barca does is nothing like United or Arsenal. It's not just one player, it's the entire team. When you watch them, it feels as if they are told to go on the ground and fake injury whereas in Nani's case, that's just him being himself and sometimes trying to cheat his way in.

I think you're extremely unfair here. We have Busquets and Alves, who tend to do this now and then. But the entire team? Really? Are you sure? Can you tell me when have you seen Xavi, Messi, Mascherano, Keita, Abidal, Pique etc.. diving?

MVP: Most diving Player... goes to "DIMARIA".

Such a talented player and such an incredible cheater, constantly diving.

Busquet played like shit and acted like shit, i think fabregas is very much needed next year for barça.

disappoiting games tbh, i had enough of this madrid barça already. mou has killed madrid elegance and style for a long time.

Last edited:
All I've read is people moaning about Barca's diving. Not just in here but on other Social sites. Most of these people who moaned about it were Man Utd fans (actual friends of mine). I can't stand people diving one bit (if they do dive against our team then they won't need to again if you know what I mean) but what I find hilarious is the United fans going on about it when they have Nani in their team. They had Ronaldo for years too and these are some of the worst I've ever seen! It makes me laugh as they seem to forget this. Pot, kettle and all that. All as bad as each other. Too many do dive for Barca though and they need a talking too.

I know, and Rio Fredinand had the cheek to put on his twitter about how bad the diving was yet he's played alongside some of the worst divers i've seen in football with Crisitano, Nani, Van Nistelrooy, Rooney among over classic man United divers! As a gooner are not angels too btw still, United fans make me laugh sometimes, really.

I know, and Rio Fredinand had the cheek to put on his twitter about how bad the diving was yet he's played alongside some of the worst divers i've seen in football with Crisitano, Nani, Van Nistelrooy, Rooney among over classic man United divers! As a gooner are not angels too btw still, United fans make me laugh sometimes, really.

I actually tweeted to Rio that he should have a word with that idiot he plays with after that comment he made! :)
I appreciate what he was saying as he wouldn't act like that himself but don't give it all that cack when he plays with people who do it. I don't see him going up to them telling them to get up now does he?! He's being slightly hypocritical me thinks.

Anyway, the sport is being killed by these diving pansies. Players should be allowed to kick the living shit out of them from now on until they stop doing it! It drives me nuts!!! Cheating bastards!!!!!!!!!!

Busquet played like shit and acted like shit, i think fabregas is very much needed next year for barça.

I see this all the time about busquets, what exactly do people expect from him in the game? He played great yesterday, always an option to pass to him and won the ball a lot.

I think people that only look on statistics don't really understand why he is a regular in Barcelona and Spanish international team. He's perfect for the type of tactics Barcelona and the international team plays. Always open, create space for his team mates, amazingly calm with the ball, great first touch and short passes and got his spidery legs that he wins the ball often with. It's either that people hate him so for his acting and refuse to see how good he plays, or it must be that people don't really understand those parts of football.

Barcelona outplayed and out dived and cheated Real, that's why they have riled everyone because they do both better than anyone else.

I hope this Backlash will help us (if we make the final) as ANOTHER red card against Barcelona would be tough for the ref to give and we might get more 50/50 decisions.

With No Pepe,Ramous ,and ??? Mourinho has to play attacking. I think players n coaches alike will look at the match and will move forward. If, Mourinho could turn this into a win I will gladly remove all my past criticism away. If we see more of the same then the World will want Mutd to win.

I really hate Jose but this time i have to agree with him

Football is the game for men. Whenever I play against Barcelona, whenever you touch them, they fall to the ground and cry like children. Whenever I make contact, in half the cases they are lying, crying, put their hands in the face, and their manager, the fans, they always cry, cry will always cry, this is their philosophy

Sorry but Pepe never touches the boot of Alves at any point.
FD

Frank, to be fair with you i just saw a clip of the foul: and you are right. Pepe does not touches Alves.

But...

The rules state that the intent is enough to warrant a red card...Pepe missed Alves (by accident?), but that is irrelevant. A player can not make a tackle with an outstretched leg...

PS: a couple of hours ago i meant to post that you need glasses...i need better ones.

Seriously, UEFA seems like a dictatorship - if you talk you get punished. It doesn't matter if you are right or not, freedom of speech is a fundamental right. Sometimes I think the organization is ruled by Salazar or Mussolini. Censorship is back to Europe in the 21st Century.

I remember some football personality talking about that but I just don't figure who was.

Back
Top Bottom