Champions League 2010-11

Frank, to be fair with you i just saw a clip of the foul: and you are right. Pepe does not touches Alves.

But...

The rules state that the intent is enough to warrant a red card...Pepe missed Alves (by accident?), but that is irrelevant. A player can not make a tackle with an outstretched leg...

PS: a couple of hours ago i meant to post that you need glasses...i need better ones.

:LOL: Alves was stretchered off though

Could still hurt a lot since his ankle got streched (or whatever) by kicking the ball right into pepes foot, just like kicking into a wall since the ball quickly hit back on his foot. Was it that long ago you guys played football so you don't remember how much initial pain that stuff gives you? Same with getting stomped on, it has much initial pain and then after a minute it's gone.

Could still hurt a lot since his ankle got streched (or whatever) by kicking the ball right into pepes foot, just like kicking into a wall since the ball quickly hit back on his foot. Was it that long ago you guys played football so you don't remember how much initial pain that stuff gives you? Same with getting stomped on, it has much initial pain and then after a minute it's gone.

Definitely, I have no idea how Alves even played on with an injury that bad. Remarkable athlete, and a true man.

Once again the 'big game' is spoilt by anti-football and gamesmanship/outright cheating. What example does this give to the younger generation coming through?

Shall we just scrap the Champions League and take nominations instead:
-Best Team Award
-Best footballer(s)
-Best Moaning/bad loser Manager(s)
-Best Diver/Play-actor(s)
-Best Overall Cheat(s)
-Best Dirty Fouler(s)
-Best 'Tactical' fouler

This sure as heck isn't the same sport I used to watch...I thought I'd given up watching 'sports entertainment' years ago but maybe i'm wrong. Ric Flair would've been proud...

I heard an interesting statement from a female football player where she said that hardly anyone dive in female football and that she would feel so pathetic doing it. And that everyone in her team would probably think she was embarrassing.

Kind of the opposite in men's football these days. If you're not exaggerating in every situation you're doing something wrong.

I think you're extremely unfair here. We have Busquets and Alves, who tend to do this now and then. But the entire team? Really? Are you sure? Can you tell me when have you seen Xavi, Messi, Mascherano, Keita, Abidal, Pique etc.. diving?

These were the first 2 that came to mind.

Messi: YouTube - Inter vs FC Barcelona (3-1) Messi Diver 6th min
Mascherano: YouTube - Mascherano dive, copa del ray final

Really, everyone dives to some extent. That's not really what bothers me, it's the feigning injury and attempting to get other players sent off that makes me lose respect for players.

You had to resort to a clip of a season ago to prove that Messi has ever dived? That's sad, man. You can go to youtube and do the same for any player out there and you will find a clip of a diving here and there. I clearly remember Maicon simulating injury last season. He was out of the field and literally dragged himself inseide the pitch to stop the match. I don't see people flaming about it here. It's sad when you criticize the same things you do...

To make it a little harder for you: try to find 10 dives of Messi. Let's see how much time you waste doing it.

Trying to demonize any Barcelona player is pathetic, I'm sorry. There are stupid players everywhere and we have our share, for sure. But some people is ridiculously biased. I've put clear Busquets, Alves and Pedro were blatant cheaters and I've yet to see any Madrid fan criticizing Di Maria (for every Messi dive, you could find 100 Di Maria dives out there), Ronaldo (the same), Marcelo (an average of 1 aggression per game), Pepe (an animal, not human), Ramos or even Adebayor. Or even the pathetic attempt of full contact catenaccio they displayed at home.

I have clearly stated how disgusted I'm always with Busquets and how I despise the usual theatre of Alves. But I'm yet to find any single Madrid fan stating how embarrassing was his team and the attittude of their players. I haven't seen anyone criticizing Di Maria for having a heart attack that costed Alves a yellow when he didn't even touched him.
Special, do you really can't see anything wrong with your players?

If anything it was embarrassing to see some phases of the match from a neutral perspective. But being a Madrid 8and a Mourinho fan), you should try to put things a little more fair.

PS: I've seen the new video of the Pepe tackle. I don't know which version you have seen, but after touching the ball, Pepe touches Alves leg for sure... Really, I don't understand what's wrong here... The videos I've seen freeze the image after Pepe touches the ball, as if it was the only moment of importance... But after that, Pepe leg continues its way and touches Alves leg with the side of the boot. It's not a direct contact, but there IS contact. Watch closely how the boot of Pepe slightly changes direction and how Alves leg suddenly starts going backwards and up. That's IMPOSSIBLE to do for a player, it's physically impossible without a contact. Pepe touches the leg of Alves with the studs, not the full "boot". I lack words in English to explain it better. Just stating what's evident from all the videos I've seen. Now imagine that at full speed.

PS2: I've seen many different versions of the video, and I always see the leg of Alves suddenly changing direction when Pepe studs pass by. It's impossible to do this voluntarily. So there is definitely contact after Pepe touches the ball. That doesn't change the fact that:
a) Alves always overacts.
b) Pepe always act like an animal and in my oppinion the red is deserved. His intention is clearly to hurt.

Last edited:
Drekkard, I don't think there is enough contact for Alves' reaction, but I'd have given a red card because that's a dangerous tackle nonetheless. In Italy it's called a 'piede al martello'.

I don't think it is a red card and I read a refs comment saying it was a harsh decision from the referee. Pepe clearly kicked the ball without contact and then the savage incident from him happened. What happened in the game earlier and the Alves theatrics made the ref take this decision.

You can notice that after the red card, the ref started calling every contact a foul for Real which showed he had some doubt.

Nontheless, Marcelo should have been red carded and Barcelona given a penalty for stomping on Pedro. That was a much clearer incident.

Last edited:
Clearly? You could only be sure about it after seeing the replay. You do understand that the ref have to go by what he think he saw at the moment? The way Alves leg flings back directly it looked like Pepe hit his legs, with studs and stretched leg. You don't have to actually break someone's leg to make it a red card.

Drekkard, I don't think there is enough contact for Alves' reaction, but I'd have given a red card because that's a dangerous tackle nonetheless. In Italy it's called a 'piede al martello'.

I agree with you and I know that there's not full contact (if it had been a leg would be broken now), but at that speed and force, a contact with the studs hurt. Alves reaction may be too much? Maybe, I don't know. Based in his usual attittude it could very well be.

But when I play football and someone does that kind of tackle to me, even if they only touch me slightly with the studs, it hurts (I had my fibula broken in a very similar action to this one). Think of someone doing it to you at that speed/force. Just trying to make clear that there IS contact between Pepe and Alves, to those that think there isn't.

Even if the ref gave Pepe a yellow card, he would have given him the red soon for the way he was playing. :D

Pepe could have been really hurt in the game also with the Mascherano incident btw.

ref`s notes:

1. Anyone holding their face will be warned ,next a yellow card offense.

2 Usual suspect falling with 2 rolls -yellow card 3-5 rolls on the ground-Red card

3. From the bench , anyone waving an invisible card will get a warning, next will result- Yellow card.

4. Only Captain and the dying victim may come to me. No more surrounding the ref like the invasion of a small Army.

5. All Argies n Brasilians start the match w/ a warning Kaka n Higgi included.

6. Mou is allow to use 6 defensive players only 4 need to attack , No stacking players in the goal mouth.

7. Pep needs to do the airplane celebration around the pitch , if they win with the sprinklers full blasted.

8. Fair play will be changed to Fair attempt !

9. ....

:D

concerning pepe's tackle, it's a tough call to me. in theory the tackle is red card worthy. wheter pepe made contact or not is pretty much irrilevant. the timing was horrid and the technique was way worse than horrid; the position of the hip, the stretched leg (how do u say "gamba tesa" in english?) and, like stef said, the "hammer foot". if u go by the book that tackle can be rewarded with a red card (in italy we call this situations "orange card situations".... something that might not deserve a red card, but that sure deserves more than a yellow card).

however i disagree with the ref's call. i wouldn't have given the red card. the atmosphere was already tense enough, it was obvious that a red card in that moment would have made things even worse (and it did, as zeem remarked). sometimes a ref has got to use some common sense and give a "creative interpretation" to the rules, in order to mantain control on the match (good old collina was very good at that).

a red card is always a last resource... it always has an enourmous impact on the match, as it screws up whatever tactical plan the coach has, and completely compromises the plot of the game.....
so, especially in theese kind of games, i wouldn't go for a red card, unless something absolutely unacceptable happens on the pitch. i would have had a chat with pepe (and a yellow card to go with that chat, of course). but that's just me.

Last edited:
Funnily enough, that's exactly what I said to my mates about Pepe's tackle, that I thought it was an "orange card" offence.

I suppose this is where the referee's own interpretation comes into the decision. A more lenient referee might have given him just a yellow.

Entrada Pepe a Alves manipulada, si lo toca.

manipulation of madrid
missing frames

Don't believe everything you find on youtube, man... It's you who's being faked. Really, don't go this way because there are idiots faking videos all around all the time... The images are clear. Pepe does a savage tackle, touches the ball and after that it slightly touches Alves leg. Alves leg moves backward because of the impact of the ball/Pepe forces. It's clear that Pepe doesn't touch "fully" his leg. Otherwise there would be bits of bone all around the grass.

It's debatable if it's a red or yellow card. I think the intentionality deserved a red, but that's my oppinion and I respect other views.

:D
however i disagree with the ref's call. i wouldn't have given the red card. the atmosphere was already tense enough, it was obvious that a red card in that moment would have made things even worse (and it did, as zeem remarked). sometimes a ref has got to use some common sense and give a "creative interpretation" to the rules, in order to mantain control on the match (good old collina was very good at that).

@zio: When I saw the tackle live I thought it was a straight red. Then I watched the replays and I also thought of an "orange"! Then I watched another replay where you see that Pepe stretches the leg towards Alves in an attempt to touch him and thought of a red again. But the ref decided because of the assistant, so it's possible that the Assistant had an angle of vision that made it look even more savage than it really is?

Maybe that explains why the ref initially wasn't going to send off Pepe, but after talking to the assistant he did. Maybe the referee didn't want to send anyone off and was trying to mantain the match calmed, but he had to "believe" the assistant who was nearer. So the ref is not to blame if someone think it was wrong, but the assistant!

You had to resort to a clip of a season ago to prove that Messi has ever dived? That's sad, man. You can go to youtube and do the same for any player out there and you will find a clip of a diving here and there. I clearly remember Maicon simulating injury last season. He was out of the field and literally dragged himself inseide the pitch to stop the match. I don't see people flaming about it here. It's sad when you criticize the same things you do...

To make it a little harder for you: try to find 10 dives of Messi. Let's see how much time you waste doing it.

Trying to demonize any Barcelona player is pathetic, I'm sorry. There are stupid players everywhere and we have our share, for sure. But some people is ridiculously biased. I've put clear Busquets, Alves and Pedro were blatant cheaters and I've yet to see any Madrid fan criticizing Di Maria (for every Messi dive, you could find 100 Di Maria dives out there), Ronaldo (the same), Marcelo (an average of 1 aggression per game), Pepe (an animal, not human), Ramos or even Adebayor. Or even the pathetic attempt of full contact catenaccio they displayed at home.

I have clearly stated how disgusted I'm always with Busquets and how I despise the usual theatre of Alves. But I'm yet to find any single Madrid fan stating how embarrassing was his team and the attittude of their players. I haven't seen anyone criticizing Di Maria for having a heart attack that costed Alves a yellow when he didn't even touched him.
Special, do you really can't see anything wrong with your players?

If anything it was embarrassing to see some phases of the match from a neutral perspective. But being a Madrid 8and a Mourinho fan), you should try to put things a little more fair.

PS: I've seen the new video of the Pepe tackle. I don't know which version you have seen, but after touching the ball, Pepe touches Alves leg for sure... Really, I don't understand what's wrong here... The videos I've seen freeze the image after Pepe touches the ball, as if it was the only moment of importance... But after that, Pepe leg continues its way and touches Alves leg with the side of the boot. It's not a direct contact, but there IS contact. Watch closely how the boot of Pepe slightly changes direction and how Alves leg suddenly starts going backwards and up. That's IMPOSSIBLE to do for a player, it's physically impossible without a contact. Pepe touches the leg of Alves with the studs, not the full "boot". I lack words in English to explain it better. Just stating what's evident from all the videos I've seen. Now imagine that at full speed.

PS2: I've seen many different versions of the video, and I always see the leg of Alves suddenly changing direction when Pepe studs pass by. It's impossible to do this voluntarily. So there is definitely contact after Pepe touches the ball. That doesn't change the fact that:
a) Alves always overacts.
b) Pepe always act like an animal and in my oppinion the red is deserved. His intention is clearly to hurt.

"Can you tell me when have you seen Xavi, Messi, Mascherano, Keita, Abidal, Pique etc.. diving?"

Like I said, I posted the fist ones that came to mind. You're the one that posted the ridiculous statement as if they've never dived.

And I'm not sure what Maicon has to do with anything. I don't defend those actions and say "well other people do it, so it's OK". And I've never claimed that Barca players are the only ones that do it, but they sure do it more than any team I've ever seen.

And as far as Pepe's tackle goes, only a Barca fan would watch that video and say that there's contact enough for Alves to react like he did. It's not just Barca, I'd like to see that behavior punished for everyone.

Last edited:
Made In Hollywood USA
All rights reserved!!!

click on this link and look all this fucking actors that fans are proud with them , most dirty and shit team in the world barcelona

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ygmGIFz_EP0

this is what you are proud fans of Barca ???? im sorry but i have shame for u !!!

while they were celebrating u put water ???

YouTube - Celebracion Mourinho vs. Barcelona 28/4/2010

this is what u are proud fans of barca ???

YouTube - FC Barcelona vs Inter (1-0) Thiago Motta Red Card
YouTube - Robin van Persie Red Card Barcelona 3 v 1 Arsenal March 2011 Unfair?
YouTube - Barça-Chelsea (6 penaltis robo)

Last edited:
+1 val.

Barça fans, there is a basic rule in football, even if it is more moral than other thing, after this kind of matches, hide yourself.
I don't agree with all Mou said after the match, but he is right on one thing : you should be ashamed.

+1 allezlinter & val

YouTube - Mourinho True Refereeing Scandal With Inter Milan

Life's a b****, hein?!. Stop your demagogy.

they are more

chelsea 4-2 barça 2004-2005
Terry foul in 4th goal, with this goal, barça is eliminated in the last minutes...
geremi penalty

inter 3-1 barça 2009-2010
diego milito offside
foul to messi and goal the maicon
penalty to dani alves

barça 0-0 chelsea 2008-2009
penalty to henry

chelsea 0-1 barça
red card to abidal...

madrid 1-1 barça 2010-2011
penalty alves to marcelo that is fake...this penalty is the 1-1 to madrid...
penalty to villa with 0-0

madrid 0-2 barça CL 20102011
marcelo foul to pedro,pedro is in the floor and without ball, penalty and red card
adebayor punch sergio busqeuts with the 2 arms..without ball, red card..

more? more mourinho? more mourinho's fans?

baaaaaaaah

Last edited:
@Ronaldinho_23 1st Mourinho is trainer that i hate the most

and 2nd i have just one question for u , how old are u ?

This is turning into a completely surrealistic and quite funny discussion.
If you search long enough (and some of you have searched long) you can easily find "evidence" that this or that club is advantaged by refs.
It is quite easy to "prove" that clubs like Barcelona, Madrid, Man Utd, Milan, Inter, Chelsea get more fouls than other clubs. That is logic, statistic even...since these club tend to dominate it's only logical that other clubs commit more fouls on then.
A club like Barcelona has ball possession percentages of 70%, this frustrated other players, so they are more inclined to make fouls.
Big clubs spend more time in the penalty area of smaller clubs, hence they get more penalties.

Al those Madrid, Porto, Man Utd, Barcelona, Inter fans...stop searching 'evidence'...it would be interesting if fans of Almeria, Maritimo, Blackpool, Hercules and Cantania would search 'evidence' of the way they feel those big clubs are advantaged by refs. We could have an avalache of evidence except for the fact that there are scarcely fans of those clubs visiting this forum....

Back
Top Bottom