Champions League 2009-10

Great performance by Bayern, although was very disappointed with Lyon, thought they would've been better than that over the 2 games.

FD

Yep. Congrats to Bayern, van Gaal and all the players. Everyone did their job and played great. :WORSHIP:

Hamit had an AMAZING game. If it wasn't for that miss at the end, you could almost say he played a flawless game! Probably far better than even Ribery would have if he wasn't suspended. And of course he only missed the top corner by like an inch in that last opportunity.

But it's not just Altintop, everyone was great. Schweini, Olic the BEAST, Lahm, van Bommel, etc.! It's laughable how much more effective Ivica is than Mario Gomez tho! :LOL:

Cris' sending off was harsh tho because he got BOTH cards for dissent! Not one for the foul despite what the commentator I was hearing the match from said. First yellow for reacting angrily that the foul WAS given in the first place (and I think he was right. It wasn't a foul. A nice tackle.) and then for clapping for referee when he was shown a yellow card which made him give another yellow as well! Most refs wouldn't show two cards for protest and send guy off unless he swore about his mom or something lol which I don't think he did. Kinda harsh but it was stupid for him to do that anyway especially as captain! Reminded me of some of the stupid things van Bommel has done in the past as captain. After that all hope of a miraculous which would've been very difficult anyway but still possible was gone and it was over. Cris let the team down today.

Despite that, I don't think it mattered too much. Ultimately Bayern were the better team and fully deserve to go through. Something that we can't necessarily say for some other previous rounds like against Fiorentina. The team was set up very organized, efficient and effective from the first minute which made it difficult for OL to create chances even though this time they WERE playing better and did start with a lot of attacking players. Well done van Gaal!

Bastos was poor. He's supposed to be doing what Robben does for Bayern, but he even missed a great chance which could've put Lyon back level and give them real hope to turn this around around 33rd minute.

p.s. Yeah I also think Laurent Blanc's Les Girondins could've again given Bayern trouble like in group stages if they had met instead of Lyon but I still think Bayern would've gone through and are a much better team now compared to earlier in the season. But at least it would've been more difficult and more competitive and the memory of loss to Bordeaux would've been on Bayern's minds.

Great match by Bayern. They're a wonderful squad and in my oppinion they play better with Altintop in the field instead of Ribery, but that comes down to personal liking.

I wanted to single out Van Bommel. He's a very underrated player. He may not be very technical, but he has his share of skill. He's a great finisher and a great long range shooter. And best of all, he's a beast in the midfield regarding positional play. He's always where he is meant to be. Many people that never played serious football can't really appreciate what this means to a team. Having a DMF that is always in the good position, that knows how to stop counters by doing key fouls, that collects deflections and never lets the opposing players comfortable with the ball... that's priceles. Add this to Altintop that played and impressive match and Robben, who should have won the 3rd best player award last year instead of a missing Kaka and happens to be one of the best players in Europe. They are really a strong team and if we don't get to the final, I really would like the to win.

PS:: And they have Van Gaal, another great coach that is generally underrated because of his facial expressions (not by actually what he said). He has done a good work, as usual, building a team that you may or may not like, but they know how they play and what they have to do.

PS:: And they have Van Gaal, another great coach that is generally underrated because of his facial expressions (not by actually what he said). He has done a good work, as usual, building a team that you may or may not like, but they know how they play and what they have to do.
great is a bit of a stretch. but he definitely has his moments. to be honest i don't really think he's underrated at all. if anything he's been overrated for most of his carreer (and he's gonna be even more overhyped from today on). but he sure knows his job and seems to be doing pretty well in munich.

i agree with u Sina about cris's sending off. the tackle wasn't a foul (and that was the ref's first mistake). then he made 2 even bigger mistakes with those 2 yellow cards. i can't stand those things honestly. i'm all for punishing players who don't respect the ref's decision, but for God's sake, this is a champions league semifinal! just let the guys play and don't ruin the game, (compromising every plan puel could possibly have in his mind) just coz of a dissent!
having said that, cris was definitely as stupid as the referee. and all in all i don't think the final result would have been that different without that sending off. bayern definitely deserved to go through this time.

congrats to bayern fans! :))

Last edited:
I've just written something about this match in the thread about Italian football.
Bayern were great in this CL since winning against Juventus in the group stage.
What some people call "luck" (cfr. Fiorentina) is IMO not a coïncidence. Teams like Man Utd, Bayern and the German national team (and maybe also the squadra Azzura) are "always lucky"...well in reality that is not luck, it's just that they have good teams with a fantastic mentality. One has to admire Bayern for their mentality. Olic and Van Bommel are talismanic players because of their mentality.
But yesterday for me the absolute outstanding player was young Thomas Muller, his movement, his work rate, his ability (that assist for the first goal!!!), his natural condition...this guy is 20 years old. In a couple of years he will be better that Lampard and Gerrard will ever been. Althoug he is supposed to be a FW, for me he is some kind of "box to box midfielder".

If Bayern play Inter in the final, they will win the CL, i'm almost convinced of that.

harsh by UEFA and making the decision before the qualification would have been better.

Last edited:
no way mate. the decisions over the uefa bans are taken by a commitee of uefa judges (qualified for the purpose). it has nothing to do with football club presidents. besides moratti isn't even a uefa member and, as far as i know, has absolutely no role in any uefa board.
wherever u read that, u can be sure it's just media bullshit.

having said that, whoever took this decision was way too harsh. yeah that was a pretty bad foul and it certainly deserved a red card and a single match ban.... but 3 matches?! come on, that's ridiculous. i sincerely hope bayern will appeal against this sentence.

Idon't agree, this was an attrocious foul that could have damaged Lisandro's carreer. I think 3 matches is justified. I'm not saying tha Ribery purposely wanted to hurt Lisandro...but the lights really went out for a couple of seconds...

Inter defended well, after all that's the only thing they did in the second half, they shut Barcelona out well and should be proud of that achievement. Not many teams have done that this season. And none have done so with only 10 men.

Gorgeous goal by Pique, mind ;)

What kind of ugly behaviour from Mourinho at the end of the game,i dont know what is he trying to do with those stupid actions,Barca rape Inter 90 min long on the pitch with their football,i like Inter but i want Bayern win the cup just because of this ugly Mourinho...

I`m neutral don`t care for either team both played well in the comp. both coaches did brilliant to beat teams that are better imo. barca putting sprinklers on is funny and mourinho taking the piss classic!!

Anybody got a good clip of the Valdes vs. Mourinho altercation at the end of the match? Wanna see what exactly happened more clearly.

Thanks bro. What's he saying? Is that about the Valdes confrontation?

That was strange! :SHOCK:
He said he dedicated the exultation to Inter supporters. And since it was impossible to know where they were in that huge stadium, he run where he listened someone support Inter in key moments of match.

Not a word about Valdes. Did Valdes say something about it?

a095b62ba601cdf2e9b5ff3d0e9c8069_biscuitsshakey.gif

Funny idiot...

Mourinho was not so kind to Barcelona on portuguese press..He said 'If Barcelona is the best team in the world why would it need to have Busquets blinking the eye on the floor, fireworks on the hotel they were staying until 4 am, and Inter bus taking 1h to make a 5 mins trip to the stadium?'

a095b62ba601cdf2e9b5ff3d0e9c8069_biscuitsshakey.gif

Funny idiot...

Agree, he was such an idiot, you know decades ago this game called football used to be fair, but idiots like Bousquets have tried to ruin it. Literally when I take the subway each morning to work and get brushed by people getting on/off the train there is more impact than he got off Tiago Motta.

It's some justice that Bousquets will not being going to the final this year, he should win an Oscar...
YouTube - Sgt. Elias [Platoon]

Last edited:
haha soggy biscuits, woeful player who should never be wearing a Barca top and as I already pointed out before is a 6ft 2 wimp who's only contribution to a match is diving about pretending to be injured.

Motta should have his red card changed to a yellow at most.

I quite fancied seeing Lyon vs Inter in the final which would be a bit different but guess this is just as good, I do love watching Barca play, but for some reason I wanted Inter to win and was really caught up in the game hoping Barca wouldn't score. Mourinho is a fantastic manager though setting them up as they did.

As for Valdes what was his problem, on Sky it said that the fans were up in the gods and every player who came off seemed to clap in that direction, so Jose going to them was justified.

FD

Back
Top Bottom