Burnout Paradise - PS3, 360 and PC

Re: Burnout Paradise - PS3, 360

Any release info on this yet or are we still waiting for them to say?

You and JB can try and catch me in Marked Man mode online :-pp.

Its not too far away, I pretty sure its next month, it'll be in the Cagney update.

I'm off to listen to the podcast

We're transforming Paradise City of the next 12 months in what we're calling "The Year of Paradise".

We've announced a few details already, but today we're going to blow the lid off a couple of exciting new features for the first time.

Our next 3 content updates will be codenamed "Cagney", "Davis" and "Eastwood"

"Cagney" will be available at the end of June.

Davis will follow sometime in August.

Eastwood will be next, in Fall.

We'll confirm exact dates as soon as we have them.

These dates are obviously subject to change, depending on Sony and Microsoft's rigorous test programs, but we wanted to let you know what we're aiming for as soon as possible.

And to make it easy to see what's coming and when, we've given criteriongames.com a bit of an overhaul.

For all the detail, hit the tabs marked "Cagney", "Davis" and "Eastwood" at the top of this page. We'll be updating these sections with everything you need to know about our new Burnout content, starting with a ton of news unveiled in this week's live podcast!

That gives me plenty of time to assualt GTA and MGS.

It gets better :DD

Criterion has just revealed that motorbikes are on their way to Burnout Paradise in the upcoming "Davis" update.

The developer aired the news in its latest podcast where it showed the first footage of the two-wheelers and uncovered a day and night cycle to go with it.

Criterion expects the "Davis" update to be available in late July.

We were also shown footage of a biplane flying around Paradise City, which is something Criterion "might put in this year".

The chatty developers revealed that the "Cagney" update will be with us in late June, too.

Inside this will be roughly 35 fixes asked for by the community, as well as a Hunter Olympus SUV and some sort of fancy online calendar to keep you updated with all the online events.

These events should be happening every weekend, and some server-side wizardry means the team can change things with no more than a day's notice. The team has plans to dish out unique car-prizes to people sending in very funny emails or winning competitions. And these vehicles will promote plenty of jealousy, apparently.

Criterion said "Cagney" would add around 70 FreeBurn challenges to the mix, and generally be a "massive" update in every way.

"Bogart" is the next update to go live, which will be available tomorrow on PS3, although some 360 owners will have to wait a week for a revised version without frame rate problems.

In this will be more features asked for by the community, as well as user liveries for the first time ever.

Other promises we heard were 1080i implementation, improved SD support, and custom soundtracks.

Criterion reiterated how serious it was about its on-going support for Burnout Paradise, and urged you to keep sending in suggestions.

"We want Criterion to be known as the most friendly development team in the world," said the person holding the camera, which might or might not be Alex Ward.

2436099719_e5f19cda24.jpg

Here's a shot of the Hunter Olympus - the first vehicle without Boost in a Burnout game.

2436083967_cc6b4c4ea8.jpg

:DANCE:

Last edited:

wow - I might have to re buy this later in the year depending on how GTA IV takes me fancy

Criterion announces 70 new Freeburn Challenges for its upcoming "Cagney" software update.

We're pushing to bring you a completely fresh and a new way to play challenges.

We’ve evolved the Freeburn Challenge experience in 3 major ways for "Cagney":

1. Multi part challenges We've started to string together multiple challenges – this adds depth and allows you to play a heap of challenges in sequence.

Here's how it can work – 8 players hook up at the Observatory on White Mountain and head for the Rock Hole on South Mountain Drive taking in a long sequence of challenges. Jump over Dead Man’s Edge, hit the windmill jump, race through the tubes in the building site and nail the jump sequence leading to the rock hole.

That's the sequence we play-tested today. Because so many of us were crowding through the jumps they became completely chaotic and hilarious. Stacking it in first place then repeatedly watching your rivals slam into your crash debris as you try to restart caused some immense comedy moments. The carnage contributes to creating a constantly changing Freeburn Challenge environment – it's great fun.

But that's not all...

2. Timed Challenges

Each of our new Challenges has a time limit that really encourages cooperation. If the team doesn’t finish in time, everybody fails.

It's co-operative, but there's a competitive edge too. We call out the player that performed best, so while everyone works together to get the best team time, they’re still competing against each other to be the first to finish.

3. Co-op Leaderboards

And finally, each Challenge has it’s very own Leaderboard. Once you’ve nailed the target time, you can compete to reach the top of the Leaderboard.

Here are some 2, 3 and 4 player examples that will be coming in Cagney.

Partners In Time

Here, you can see a 2-player Challenge. Charnjit and SteveW are trying to hit each other mid-air, before jumping over each other to beat the challenge. Charnjit wastes valuable seconds lining up for jump.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvA31-jjHBM&eurl=http://www.criteriongames.com/

Rail Cars

This one's 3-player. Meet up at the yellow bridge then head to the Read Lane Super Jump and complete the barrel rolls. This is always harder when the pressure is on, in the video you’ll see Charnjit miss his first attempt!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzPkOAZ52rU&eurl=http://www.criteriongames.com/

Leaps of Faith

And finally, everyone meets up at Charnjit Communications Tower and then rushes to N. Rouse Drive to hit the Super Jumps down to the train track 5 times. DiscoD ends up being the fastest to the jump and contributing the most overall!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UE7fwUm6B0

Stayed tuned for more details – if you check back to the site tomorrow and you'll find videos for 5, 6, 7 and 8 player Challenges!

In game calender.

2436954704_16de93807b.jpg

:COOL:

They also said that the bikes DLC will be paid for content and they have PLANES running in the game in their offices but they not making any promises about whether they'll add it to the game this year.

Exciting times.

The update look great I can't wait for Cagney, Davis & Eastwood updates.

Cagney in June. Davis in August. Eastwood has no release date yet though.
Davis & Eastwood we'll have to PAY for those updates.

Is that on both formats? If it was free on the PS3 version, I'd pick up a copy on it. But guessing EA will be wanting some return on it.

Yea its on both formats.

The FREE Cagney update goes live on PS3 on July 10th and 4 days later on the 360, I can't wait!!! :DANCE:

There's bike footage in Crash TV Episode 3 and it looks great!

Last edited:

Nah Sony released the tools too late for that, it'll be in a future update.

tobi316 STATS

Player Progress Summary
World Rank - 21586
Time played online - 157h 42m
Online races won - 9
Online races played - 126
Online races unfinished - 1
Online races unfinished % - 1%
Takedowns - 549
Number of times taken down - 1229
Number of crashes - 5029
Events started - 127
Number of rivals - 26

Offline Progress
Cars owned - 71
Road Rules Time won - 61/64
Road Rules Showtime won - 64/64
total time in Paradise - 161h 13m
Total distance driven - 3556.24 miles
Jumps - 50/50
Smashes - 400/400
Billboards - 120/120
Takedowns - 2403

Last Online Race
Time event started - 7/5/08 10:29:25 PM
Number of rounds completed - 3
Final Position - 1
Number of crashes - 7
Takedowns - 1
Number of times taken down - 0
Time in seconds - 259
Distance raced - 18.44 miles

Click to check your stats.

Stunt Run is still my enemy and is the only major thing holding me back from getting 101%

The Cagney update is awesome, the content is fantastic and all for FREE! :applaud:

2654056276_2633854d89.jpg

The Live Page does two cool things:

First, it serves up news about the game – so that’s news about updates and the kind of stuff you’d expect on criteriongames.com, but it’s also news about what’s happening in the game – so, expect to find news about what you’ve done in Paradise City as well as about what’s happening online, like when we hit the 100 millionth crash, for example.

Secondly (and this is the really, really cool bit), it’s where we can, using the Game Calendar, create what we’re calling ‘Live Broadcast Gameplay’. This is how it works:

If you check out the Game Calendar, you’ll see certain dates on it are ringed. These represent ‘Live Events’ that will occur on that day. In the news panel on the Live Page there’ll be a corresponding story telling you about what’s happening on those days.

So, for example:

Saturday 12th July 2008 - Prize Cars Weekend
Where for one day, if you go online we’ll let you try out all of the Carbon and XS Cars (that are normally available only when you complete the offline game) for you to test drive in races and Freeburning.

As this shows – it really allows us to mix up the game, and we’ve got a schedule packed with cool events that stretch out through the summer.

This breaks down as:
# Test Drive Tuesdays
Every Tuesday, we’re going to mix things up online by focusing the game around a specific set of cars. For a whole day, your online junkyard will look radically different. This coming week (Tuesday 15th July 2008) will see only Speed Boost cars online.
# Face Off Thursdays
Every Thursday, we’re going to mix up racing (both ranked and unranked.) Everyone’s junkyard will be as normal, but in races we’ll supply a certain set of cars to race in. This will really level the playing field in racing.

The other great thing about Live Events is that it allows us to award our players with all kinds of cool stuff. So, starting in a few weeks’ time:

Graduation Weekends
In these, we’ll let you try out new cars and new liveries for a whole weekend. Over the course of the weekend, you’ll be able to test drive our vehicle of choice, and if you want to keep it, then we’ll set up an online challenge for you to complete.

The first such event will be our “Mount Olympus” event in which you’ll get to test drive the new Hunter Olympus, and, if you win an Online Road Rage event in it, you’ll get to keep it forever.

We’ll be running multiple Graduation Weekends that will introduce even more vehicles and for those players who participate in all of them, there’ll be a special prize.

They do sound pretty interesting. It's nice to see Criterion not just release the game and forget about it :TU:

I may have to stick Burnout in my 360 to download this :)).

I may have to stick Burnout in my 360 to download this :)).

It was a July 14th date for the 360 patch but I've just read this

From the Criterion site:
Burnout Paradise' Cagney update delayed on Xbox 360

The 3rd and most ambitious FREE software update for Burnout Paradise will arrive later than expected for Xbox 360 players.

We've picked up some additional bugs in our final test phase for the 360 version of Cagney and will delay until these issues are resolved.

We're unable to give an exact timeline for release, but as soon as we have confirmation, we'll post here on the criteriongames.com. For the moment, we're expecting this to have an impact of around a week-and-a-half. Right now, we're looking at 24th July as a projected date.

Big thanks to Microsoft for picking up these last few bugs. Nothing's more important to us than Burnout fans getting a great service, which is why we won't pull the trigger on Cagney until we're happy that it's bug-free.

The Cagney update is our first major content-based release. It contains 3 all-new game modes and 70 new challenges featuring multiple parts, timer and leaderboard. We're also bringing new cars and designs, live broadcast gameplay through calendar and the best of the blog through our live front page plus a mountain of additional revisions and fixes.

It's an ambitious and complex overhaul of Burnout Paradise, and it's this scope that's caused a few last-minute delays. We'll bring you more news as we have it.

Sounds great - I found myself really liking Burnout after a chance purchase as I hated the demo. But the more I played the full game (only got as I had a £20 gift for my BDay and it was on special in ASDA), the more I got into it.

I'm holding off playing it at the mo in anticipation of these new updates - plus the fact I cannot get online properly till Tuesday :LOL:

See on Tuesday.

Back
Top Bottom