• Have 360 HD-DVD

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I download all the movies I ever need

Votes: 5 27.8%
  • TV supplier and On Demand movies do me

Votes: 1 5.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
:LOL: The end of a DVD format war has prompted a flurry of HD DVD players appearing on eBay.

More than 200 have been listed for sale on eBay UK since Tuesday morning, when Toshiba confirmed it would no longer make them. In addition, Dixons.co.uk has reported a 150% increase in customers searching for Blu-ray players since Toshiba's announcement.

Blu-ray has emerged as the dominant next generation DVD format, with Toshiba deciding to stop making or marketing HD DVD players and recorders.

The eBay listings for HD DVD players have increased from just 19 on Saturday and 68 put up for sale on the website on Sunday. This makes the upturn since Tuesday particularly significant because weekends are eBay's busiest days.

Most of the HD DVD players appearing on eBay.co.uk are specifically for use with the Xbox 360 console.

A spokesman for the auction site said the number of HD DVD players listed on the site had risen sharply since Tuesday morning.

"With a large amount of now defunct entertainment formats including Betamax and mini-disc being regularly traded and ultimately becoming collector's items, eBay now expects to receive an increase in listings for HD DVD products," he said.

"In the last two days alone over 200 HD DVD players have been listed for sale which is a 200% increase on average for listings of HD DVD players."

Dixons.co.uk also has withdrawn all models of HD DVD player.

Commenting on the end of the format war, the electrical retailer's head of marketing and operations Pat Foley said: "This is good news for consumers as the availability of a single format will allow consumers to purchase the high definition Blu-ray format DVD player with every confidence and enjoy all the benefits that this fantastic format has to offer."

Though anyone who justs wants a good DVD player, should get the Toshiba HD-DVD player. It is one of the best ones around currently, and great upscaler.

Though anyone who justs wants a good DVD player, should get the Toshiba HD-DVD player. It is one of the best ones around currently, and great upscaler.

personally i would go for the oppo instead, you can play practically any format, avi divx, etc...

Found this on the AV Forums,

I'm probably miles behind everyone as normal, and you all probably know this already but anyways. If you type in 7669 then enter on the title screen of any sony blu ray, it will open up 4 calibration screens for you to use !
(i know this is the wrong thread but not many people frequent the blu ray sub-forum!)

Problem is i don't know what to do with these screens, so any help would be great !

I'm going to try it now...

Microsoft officially gives up on HD DVD

xbox_hd_dvd_dead-490px.jpg

We're certain there are plenty of Really Important things that have to be considered before summarily tossing failed hardware peripherals out the boardroom window, en masse. What else have they been up to for the last 4 days since Toshiba officially announced the format's death? No bother, because Microsoft's Gamerscore blog says, "Xbox will no longer manufacture new HD DVD players for the Xbox 360" though they "will continue to provide standard product and warranty support for all Xbox 360 HD DVD Players in the market." HD DVD eBay onslaught beginning ... now

FIRMWARE 2.20

Sony: upcoming PS3 software update to include interactive Blu-ray movie features

Two words that can get customers excited are the words "new features." That's precisely what Sony has planned for the next system software update of its PlayStation 3 console. According to Sony, the update will add Blu-ray Profile 2.0 - otherwise known as BD-LIVE.

Scheduled for a release date later during this month, BD-LIVE will lay the following new features on PS3 owners' laps:

- A variety of downloadable content, including bonus scenes, shorts, trailers, subtitles, ringtones that can be sent to mobile phones, images, and more.

- Interactive movie-based games that pit players sitting in the same room, or across the world and online, against each other.

-"Resume play" that enables the PS3 system to start playing a Blu-ray disc and DVD at the point where it was stopped, even if the disc had been removed. (Note that the BD-J format disc isn't supported.)

- "Audio Output Device," a new Remote Play setting, enables the PSP to serve as a remote control for music played through PS3.

- An enhanced PS3 Internet browser. Video files directly linked from a Web page will be able to be streamed, and the browser's view speed will be improved.

- DivX and WMV format videos that are larger than 2GB will be playable.

- "Mosquito Noise Reduction" will be added as an AV setting in the control panel of the DVD/BD player for improved movie playback. (Likewise, the BD discs recorded with BDMV format aren't supported.)

- Enhanced interoperability between the PS3 and the PSP. PS3 owners may copy music and photo playlists onto their PSP Memory Stick and enjoy the files on the go.

Sony said that BD Profile 2.0 requires an Internet connection and at least 1GB of
local storage. Also, Sony Pictures Home Entertainment (SPHE) has announced two BD-LIVE enabled titles for an April 8 release: Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story and The 6th Day, complete with exclusive downloadable content.

Thanks to Super Vegeta for the tip!

http://ps3.qj.net/Sony-upcoming-PS3...ctive-Blu-ray-movie-features/pg/49/aid/116284

Does anyone know if Pulp Fiction is on blu-ray format? This is my ultimate favourite movie of all time and would love to have it.

Pulp Fiction should out the same time as Kill Bill 1 n 2, summer I think is the release date.

PS3 Getting DTS-HD Master Audio Support

Everyone knew it was coming, they just didn't know when. Well, now we know: On April 15th, Sony will issue firmware version 2.3, which will add support for the DTS-HD Master Audio (MA) and DTS-HD High Resolution (HR) to the PlayStation 3 (PS3). In combination with the recent BD-Live firmware, this allows the PS3 to play all Blu-ray titles at their optimal functionality.

Fox and New Line exclusively use the DTS-HD MA format on their Blu-ray releases to ensure a "master quality" reproduction of the sound. Similar to Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD MA takes the audio directly from the master and compresses it in a way that maintains the same audio fidelity in a much smaller file size. Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD MA, and PCM are considered the ultimate way to experience a film soundtrack.

Brian Towne, Senior Vice President and General Manager, Consumer Division at DTS commented, "We are extremely pleased that Sony Computer Entertainment (SCE) is adding the full spectrum premium DTS-HD Master Audio codec into the PS3 so that more than 10 million owners of one of the best selling computer entertainment systems can have the best sounding, most efficient and flexible audio technology available system as well. DTS-HD Master Audio is fast becoming the must-have feature for high definition entertainment enthusiasts."

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=1207

Heroes Season 1 coming to BD on August 26th (looks for pre order and prays that its a worldwide date), season 2 is coming too along with some back catalogue stuff. American Gangster, Miami Vice and all the summer movies will all hit before the end of the year.

I buy Cloverfield yesterday

my list for this year

13 August
- National Treasure 1 and 2
- Perfect Storm (later, i wait lower price)
- The Sixth Sense (later, i wait lower price)

23 September
- L'Auberge Espagnole
- Les Poupées Russes (only in pack with "L'Auberge Espagnole")
- Terminator 2 (later, i wait lower price)
- Godzilla

22 October
- Ghostbusters 1 and 2

5 Novermber
- Iron Man

3 December
- Prison Break - Season 3

FOX are still pissing me of with their choice of BD releases and the fact that their back catalogue stuff isn't region free. I want Man on Fire and where the fuck is 24?

Lost S4 - October 20
- click

What about S3?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom