Bioshock, The real next gen begins here.

Jack I didn't say that. I am a software development manager and I know how little recognition developers get. I want them to get all the critical acclaim and financial rewards they deserve, I genuinely do. However, at the moment there seems to be a backlash to anything someone has to say constructively/negatively towards the game, and that is wrong.

People moan about the likes of Halo fans shouting down anyone who DARES to criticise the Halo franchise, this is heading down the same path. If someone says something negative, don't throw back the whole "but everyone else likes it" response. Instead ask why they feel it is average, that is a much healthier discussion and the whole point of a forum.

I'm not directing that last statement just at you JB.

Im just hoping the full game can keep the momentum/hype going that the demo has started. Like your GF Jack, mine also sat with me just to watch it and she really enjoyed it. The richness of the graphics, the small little details, the different type of enemies. Has anyone hacked the "shootercopter" thats lying on the floor near the end of the demo? If not, give it a go, its amusing to see it start up and stutter about and knock itself into walks with its small engine trying to get up to speed.

I think the eurogamer review pretty much summed up why this game is so highly rated and why most of us cant wait to play the full version:

"For a game to be so outstanding in one department is one thing - to manage to tick every single box from graphics to audio to gameplay depth to atmosphere and innovation is pretty much unprecedented."

After reading all those excellent reviews I have changed my mind, its obviously excellent and I am just blind to it ;)

Instead ask why they feel it is average, that is a much healthier discussion and the whole point of a forum.

Guess ill start so we can hopefully move on from the "why dont you like this?!" nonsense.

I agree with a couple of your critisms, the whole hacking mini game, even though its amusing enough wont stay that way throughout the game and it really does take you out of the atmosphere its building during the levels.

It could be a welcome refreshment period for people that dont like the "on-the-edge-of-your-seat" atmosphere. And atleast they added a buyout feature to speed it up / by-pass it. I actually found the "on-edge" to be fairly nicely balanced, you have a few moments where you see/hear a shadow/sound and get an anxious tingle running down your spine, but most of the time i was searching around empty rooms looking for epo/bullets/cash/etc. Although i get where you are coming from as i couldnt even finish the first level of doom3, partly due to dying, but mostly due to walking around in the dark and then a big ugly, bloody beast leaping out at you (from a space that was emtpy a second earlier). I didnt enjoy that, and i also had that feeling years ago with resident evil on the ps1. It/I was just too "on edge" during those games. This one however strikes a nice balance, for me atleast.

As for the story, well i dont really know whats going to happen. Dttn know if you have, or what you know from the demo. I actually like the whole underwatercity experiment gone wrong and you end up in it. I am hoping during the game that you can find some "friends" as im sure being down there on your own for the whole game could just be a bit too much. Atleast the radio is helping to combat that.

And i really like the setting aswell, the whole art deco architecture and interiors really adds to the whole story/period for me. I also recognise a lot of it from study (statues, building facades, posters, etc) which brings everthing together to make a really believeble "world". Its probably one of the richest settings to have, contemporary settings dont really do much for me, and far future settings dont do anything for me. And neither does the whole medievil/oblivion setting so im pretty much left with 20th century and late 21st century. HL2 falls into this catagory for me, i cant remember what year it is in the game, but other then the alien/planets stuff its not too far in the future with the architecture, buggy/boat, etc.

For me it ticks all the right boxes, but there are a few elements in there that if you just dont like it; (like I dont with oblivion, even though its a great game) the setting, atmosphere, story, then the game just wont be for you as they are very dominant and important elements in the game. I'm really looking forward to fallout3, but the whole combat system of placing your attacks in a row and then watch the fight happen could be a game breaker for me.

Last edited:
Yeah i will be staying out of here, just incase. Thats also why ive only read the closing comments / conclusions of the reviews so not to know too much. The eurogamer one is save though.

Had a bit of a shock today. Tried to find the Bioshock Limited Edition version on Gameplay.co.uk (which I pre-ordered), to show my nephew, and it wasn't there. I used the link I posted on here and when clicked it says "this item has been delisted". I was thinking, oh crap, they're not getting the Special Edition, that means I won't be getting Bioshock on release day...

Then I get an email telling me my order's been dispatched... P-H-E-W. So they must have sold out already, and not be getting any more from the manufacturer.

Looks like I might be getting something rare!

GameSpot: 9/10

This guy is not the most popular reviewer at the moment. :p

and he never is his ratings are so outlandishly stupid and self important it SICKENS me.

the whole reviewing community amouns some his peers think the gam,e is a masterpeice this guy comes in and says it not? what a self important critic i completely despise hiom and wish him bad

You hate someone's guts and wish them "bad" purely because they have a different opinion from you?

Dude, how old are you?

having played the full game i have to say this game is awesome

i just shat my pants as well, i was searching a cupboard and was walking backwards becuase i thought i was stuck on a chair turned around and a fucking doctor was face to face with me. I actually had to laugh at myself becuase i jumped out of my seat, good job none of my mates were here to see that

i have just found the Telekinesis as well, its good fun is that :)

Had a bit of a shock today. Tried to find the Bioshock Limited Edition version on Gameplay.co.uk (which I pre-ordered), to show my nephew, and it wasn't there. I used the link I posted on here and when clicked it says "this item has been delisted". I was thinking, oh crap, they're not getting the Special Edition, that means I won't be getting Bioshock on release day...

Then I get an email telling me my order's been dispatched... P-H-E-W. So they must have sold out already, and not be getting any more from the manufacturer.

Looks like I might be getting something rare!

Funny that, my mate emailed me at work asking to see the figurine. I went on there to find the link and originally saw one for £40, and almost cried when I thought they'd dropped the price by a tenner. Then I realised it was the PC version. I signed in to my account to check the order and it said 'being picked' - this was at about 11am and said my order was due for despatch today. Could get it early with a bit of luck.

Haha. :D I usually order from ShopTo as well, I only chose Gameplay this time because ST don't stock the limited edition for some reason (I'm thinking the manufacturer chose not to give them any because of the fact they ship games upto a week early).

Last time I had a game dispatched from Gameplay it took two days to arrive (was dispatched on Wednesday, arrived on Friday). But saying that a mate down south received his the next day so... It might depend on where you live.

But here's hoping!!!!!

Anyone know what it says on the front of the box (where it usually says "ONLY ON XBOX 360" it says something new)?

XT1198_box.jpg

Oh right... Not seen that before. They must be desperate to make more games look like exclusives or something. :mryellow:

I have only just found out you can set fire to oil because i didnt think the game would be clever enough to realise it was flammable :)

i wonder how many other things i have missed on the way because of this

Back
Top Bottom