Best pes game in the series?

As my sig says. PES5 on PS2

With all this talk of PES2011, i'm still playing a PES5 ML. It plays really well and it has so many little things that were since removed from following releases.

I would go back and play it if it had real currency and more teams in div 1 and 2.

This is a tough one. WE9LE is better than PES5.

I think for a 2 player game WE9LE wins it. As a 1 player ML game PES 6 is better.

In order:

1. PES5
2. PES3
3. PES2010 with stat mods.
4. PES4

I'd rate the older games (1 and 2) as better in their day than PES6. I just remember 6 as being the first one we could play one match and put the controllers down, and the one that didn't get played almost every day. It was frustrating to play, felt like your level of control was gone, dumbed down, the start of the decline.

PES2008 was the worst, and the first I didn't buy. Absolutely awful game. I never played the full version of PES2009, the demo saw to that.

I hear so many good things about WE9:LE, but I've never played it.

WE6FE was the best for me because it was the first imported and patched from Japan on my PS2

WE9 or PES5 is best I bought without patching

PES 2010 is the best and only decent one on next gen.. online is horrible.. but this game offline is still better than FIFA.. I use to not think that but I do now. I actually traded in PES 2010 long ago because the online sucked so bad and I was mad but now I wish I didn't.. the only reason I been playing the FIFA's is because online is good and next gen they are better overall games than PES so far.

If it's any consolation I haven't played Fifa10 for about a month and I'm considering trading it in. That game showed it's hand early and has very little depth to the gameplay to keep me interested. Possibly one of the most over-hyped, over-rated, and over-regarded games (by the games media) I have ever played.

true.. however, FIFA WC might have a little better gameplay.. the thing that I hate most about the current FIFA's is they are close to making it a great game but all the semi and assisted control crap and the arcade way of playing defense is just boring after awhile. At first, FIFA world cup 2010 was great to me but I'm already sick of it because I think it's way to arcadish. The only way to play this game is all manual and on slow game speed imo and everyone online does not play that style. EA needs to do make FIFA like it's hockey and make online rankings full manual with slow gamespeed... the online rankings in fifa for this arcade football style is very annoying and it's like EA promotes FIFA players to play arcade style by using default gameplay and controls setting for rankings. but this is why fifa games are broken to me in multiplayer.. is you can even play on full manual and then have someone play all out and just hold buttons to press defenders at once the whole game. If someone did that to me in PES.. I would dominate them. In FIFA I can not get around this.. especially when using full manual. Sorry to get off subject but last night I almost busted my controller I was so mad at FIFA world CUP. I Figured out how to force people to play full manual and whatever minutes half I want online but they still can exploit the game and double press me all game. I can beat this sometimes with patience but it's very hard when I use lesser teams against top team.. impossible really

any ways I await PES 2011.. I will give both demos a test but right now I'm so irritated with FIFA's gameplay.. I first started with FIFA 08 because PES next gen sucked basically.. and then again with FIFA world CUP 2010 but these games get old after after very fast. It's not like PES where you expect to play it everyday until the next one comes out.. after last night.. I think I'm done with FIFA World CUP..

Last edited:
Pes5 hands down. Not only the best Pes, but the best soccer game in the world even right now.

The Top 3 IMO

1. PES5 (PS2) Still the best football game of all time.
2. PES3 (PS2) GREAT game
3. PES2 (PS2) Played and edited constantly, hours of fun!

I liked PES 2010 on the PC, but it had many errors. Still very playable for me :). Very tactical unlike most of the other PES games apart from maybe, just maybe PES 5.

Games i didn't like but were good:
1. PES6 (too much about sprinting, also far too much cheating at times by the AI on top player etc..)
2. PES4, Couldn't get over the 'crab walk' running style. Hated this game even though it was very good at the time

PES2009 was fun but essentially shit and don't even get me started with 2008!

Also all this Winning Eleven? lol In England you have to get modded PS2' etc.. to play them? Apparently the 9th edition was the best but i have no idea how any of them played.

I'd rate the older games (1 and 2) as better in their day than PES6. I just remember 6 as being the first one we could play one match and put the controllers down, and the one that didn't get played almost every day. It was frustrating to play, felt like your level of control was gone, dumbed down, the start of the decline.

I agree, it's very FIFA like at times with the AI cheating and too much enphysis on sprinting, fake shots. It was a slight turn to the arcade, The biggest problem was people liked it which i 100% agree started the decline!

Last edited:
Also all this Winning Eleven? lol In England you have to get modded PS2' etc.. to play them? Apparently the 9th edition was the best but i have no idea how any of them played.

back in the day here.. there was a lot of people who had modded PS2's and patched WE from japan. That's how I started using this site because it was the best place to get patches imo for WE. I had to mod my PS2 if I wanted to play WE/PES back then since I'm living in the States.. I could be wrong but I believe the first real American version of WE/PES was not until WE9/PES5 on PS2/Xbox.

Last edited:
PES5 shits all over the other games in the series, part3 was quality also. 6 was lame but acceptable and others after that should be burnt

back in the day here.. there was a lot of people who had modded PS2's and patched WE from japan. That's how I started using this site because it was the best place to get patches imo for WE. I had to mod my PS2 if I wanted to play WE/PES back then since I'm living in the States.. I could be wrong but I believe the first real American version of WE/PES was not until WE9/PES5 on PS2/Xbox.

WE6I was the first version of WE/PES in the U.S. I remember reading a review and driving all around town looking for it...I finally found it at some random store. And the rest is history for me...haven't found a series that I've loved as much as this one since. I was a Madden addict until that day.

My Rankings:

1. WE9LE
2. PES5/WE9
3. PES3/WE7
4. WE10
5. PES6

PES5 was my favourite game, such a real shame I do not have the game any more but I'd love to find another copy in the bargain bins just to be able to play it again. PES3 is a close second for me, thankfully I still have that gathering dust somewhere.

I find it funny how pes 5 seems to be one of the favs when it has an number of bugs. Probs pes 3. Was pes heading in a different direction.

Wow where to start! Its a good subject because i really think these guys (Konami) are all about the money and not interested in making the perfect game, it always has to have its glitches, like erasing the International Challenge, no switching of shorts, poor edit mode, etc.

After reading all posts i have a question. Are you guys posting which PES you think were the best overall or which PES you enjoyed the most? Its a difference and people may be inclined for emotional reasons to say that PES3 is a great game and probably was at the time but i think is to much to put it on the top 3.

Personally im judging the games by the gameplay. I havent played next-gen versions but its no shame after reading the reviews. I play ps2 and i think PES 2009 on the ps2 has the best gameplay.

I enjoyed a lot PES6 too. I didnt try PES5 but i think its gameplay was kinda similar to PES4 but more difficult.

Anyway ive got PES 2010 on the ps2, it has the Champions League but im not quite used to the gameplay so far. I dont know if its because im so used to the previous gameplay but i think the through passes have changed and the ball sometimes travels too fast is unreal. I prefer PES2009 gameplay.

Its crap that the next-gen versions have actually worse gameplay than ps2 versions. It only reveals the companies policy of "obsolency" in order to sell more. Since the games cannot break alone, they will take ages to make the perfect game, just an excuse to sell. I mean back in the N64 times games werent launched anually? I played ISS 64 and ISS 98 (the best).

I think i will give some older PES a try to convince myself of my choices but i think im quite sure about PES 2009. The thing is this is the next-gen forum and not many people have tried PES 2009 in the ps2. Its a big diffenrence PES 2009 in next/gen with the ps2.

I have like the Winning 11 versions better they always seem to have that something different which sounds silly because PES & WE are the same games. But this PES11 feels like the old WE games for me and i have every one of them. I hope this version will bring konami a bit of respect which the deserved to lose for sleeping on the job. PES11 is what Pes2008 should have been.

LOL that doesn't sound very promising :CONFUSE:

It is promising because I believe PES2011 is the game that most of us wanted back in 2007. It's disappointing that we're three years behind schedule but Konami got there in the end and this year we could have a PES5/6 beater on our hands, which is great news, no?

It is promising because I believe PES2011 is the game that most of us wanted back in 2007. It's disappointing that we're three years behind schedule but Konami got there in the end and this year we could have a PES5/6 beater on our hands, which is great news, no?

sure.. all except the part that pes 11 will be 3 years behind :P:CRY:

sure.. all except the part that pes 11 will be 3 years behind :P:CRY:

knew right there and then in 2006, that it would be close to impossible to improve on pes6 in the next year.

but i have a feeling, that this year might just be that year. i mentioned, might, take it with a pinch of salt, thus.

Back
Top Bottom