Best League in Europe?

fd1972uk said:
Tbh I'm like Prof, I love all football. Don't get me wrong if they where all the footy was on at the same time, I'd watch:-

1. Spanish
2. Italy
3. English

Have to admit, my Saturday nights are now as relaxed as ever, no going out now, when I can I stick to a Friday. Saturday is football day, kick my feet up and watch a mixture of La Liga, Serie A and EPL, footy from around 5pm-midnight...........excellent.

FD
man that sounds great, i wish i could kick on a saturday night, so much sports, too little time, I need to get a night like that, but tough with 3 roomates and a girl.... i need to move out!

csaunders said:
true but do you really thing that Hotspurs or say Bolton or Middlesborough would finish middle to last in SPL... I doubt it... Its not the top teams in england and scotland that are far off, its the middle to bottom teams, wehre there is a great difference..... England middle teams being far better then there scottish counterparts...
And the same goes for English to La Liga/Serie A middle-sides as well. Outside Arsenal, Man Utd, Chelsea, Liverpool and maybe Spurs/Newcastle, the quality in the EPL is vastly overrated. The rest of the teams are distinctly average at best, and IMO wouldn't be capable of beating similarly-placed teams from Italy/Spain.

I never said the SPL is a better quality league, I don't even think the two posters earlier actually meant it seriously. It is however more competitive, this season anyway. Even up until Chelsea got stronger, since the EPL was formed it has been a two-horse race every single year apart from one (the year Blackburn won it). That's no different to the SPL in the same time-frame (Hearts were in the title race until 2/3 weeks from the end of one season, around 1998 - in fact it's better than the EPL in that respect because the year Blackburn won it, it was still a two-horse race, while the SPL was three-way).

ClassicD said:
And the same goes for English to La Liga/Serie A middle-sides as well. Outside Arsenal, Man Utd, Chelsea, Liverpool and maybe Spurs/Newcastle, the quality in the EPL is vastly overrated. The rest of the teams are distinctly average at best, and IMO wouldn't be capable of beating similarly-placed teams from Italy/Spain.

I never said the SPL is a better quality league, I don't even think the two posters earlier actually meant it seriously. It is however more competitive, this season anyway. Even up until Chelsea got stronger, since the EPL was formed it has been a two-horse race every single year apart from one (the year Blackburn won it). That's no different to the SPL in the same time-frame (Hearts were in the title race until 2/3 weeks from the end of one season, around 1998 - in fact it's better than the EPL in that respect because the year Blackburn won it, it was still a two-horse race, while the SPL was three-way).
oh yeah i agree, there needs to be more parity in the EPL... I think the single table system is flawed in this respect.... what do you guys think about a champions league playoff type scenario to determine league winners... it would definatley be more exciting...

csaunders said:
ahh don again, with a jibe at either ronaldo or rooney, im guessing rooney, Rio is world class in every meaning of the word, he possibly has the best touch and passing ability of any defender in the world, its his game in the air he has problems with, but he can mark with the best of them and rarely wastes a ball out of the back.... Terry is class too... And people associate corruption to Italy cause its true, How come colini never refed juventus games? I could go on and on about the corruption at juventus, and its far from media hype created by the british media...

It was a jibe at Ronaldo. Please, give me more credit than that though. All my jibes are mainly directed to good old Cristiano.

About Rio; what Milanista said.

About Collina: Again, it's wise to gather information, before writing something (no offence) stupid. What gives you the idea that Collina never refed a juve game? You imply that he favours juventus, which is everything but true. Many are even superstitious that juve always lose when Collina was in charge of a juve game.
The corruption in Italy isn't 'created' by the British media, but the corruption is all they associate serie A with. Which is unfair and untrue.

Don Domenico said:
It was a jibe at Ronaldo. Please, give me more credit than that though. All my jibes are mainly directed to good old Cristiano.

About Rio; what Milanista said.

About Collina: Again, it's wise to gather information, before writing something (no offence) stupid. What gives you the idea that Collina never refed a juve game? You imply that he favours juventus, which is everything but true. Many are even superstitious that juve always lose when Collina was in charge of a juve game.
The corruption in Italy isn't 'created' by the British media, but the corruption is all they associate serie A with. Which is unfair and untrue.
sorry i mistyped, i dont believe Collina ever reffed a match between juventus and AC milan....

Many valid arguments by lots of biassed people, Nutmeg and FD are among the few exceptions...
And Don about Italian football and corruption: no matter how good Italian football is (and it is very good) it is hard to take it serious while there is corruption.

One thing you dont see in the Serie A is under the table deals... aka Cole, Mikel...

If people are going to start judging leagues and accusing them, then you can judge them through the success of their own managers... who was the last manager from England to actually win a trophy out of the UK? Italy and Spain have been amongst the top with Ancelotti, Capello, Benitez, Sacchi, Del Bosque, Lippi.... the list goes on. Even Scotland has more recently, Ferguson.

Last edited:
Milanista said:
Saunders...as much as it hurts, Collina reffed the 1-0 Juve win at the San Siro last year.
i gotta go read the book, Gerd you read it, about soccer and how the world goes round, need to look, it had some shocking topics about juventus and corruption....

Don Domenico said:
You're searching for things that don't mean a thing.
so if this was true and collina was the top ref in the world not just the Serie A, and Juventus has been a top team for years, you wouldn't fing that absolutley appaling that he had never reffed a juve game... how can that not mean something?

Milanista said:
One thing you dont see in the Serie A is under the table deals... aka Cole, Mikel...

If people are going to start judging leagues and accusing them, then you can judge them through the success of their own managers... who was the last manager from England to actually win a trophy out of the UK? Italy and Spain have been amongst the top with Ancelotti, Capello, Benitez, Sacchi, Del Bosque, Lippi.... the list goes on. Even Scotland has more recently, Ferguson.
the cole saga never happend, as it was dealt with, as it should have been, dont know how you can compare..... And both have to do with Chelsea, which is something new to the English game(there success and bullishness) I mean cmon the president or pm of your country owns one of the top clubs, you dont think thats a conflict of intrest....

who was the last manager from England to actually win a trophy out of the UK? Italy and Spain have been amongst the top with Ancelotti, Capello, Benitez, Sacchi, Del Bosque, Lippi.... the list goes on. Even Scotland has more recently, Ferguson.

unfortunately it' s right.England managers are not as strong as the italian,spanish and the best for the moment(for me)portuguese(j.mourinho)but they are improving slowly!!!look at sam allardyce or allan curbisley

csaunders said:
I mean cmon the president or pm of your country owns one of the top clubs, you dont think thats a conflict of intrest....

In a way yes, but hes been stopped by the law, and had to step down/pass the power down to Galliani, who is head of all of Milan's actions. Berlusconi only provides the funds because hes the owner. He gets an indirect say of the direction the team he owns.

Berlusconi is a corrupt man, but his dealings with Milan havent actually changed anything in the league but the funds... but then again theres the Abramovics, Fraziers, and Real Madrid guy..forgot his name.. who inject funds.

ALAIN said:
unfortunately it' s right.England managers are not as strong as the italian,spanish and the best for the moment(for me)portuguese(j.mourinho)but they are improving slowly!!!look at sam allardyce or allan curbisley

And have done what out of England? Moyes was meant to be a good coach, his team got murdered by Bucharest and Villareal.

Probably mourinho and benitez are bringing something new for english managers, tactics.

yes it's exactly that!!english coachs are learning a lot about tactics
wait 2 OR 3 YEARS they'll be among the best in Europe!!!

Milanista said:
And have done what out of England? Moyes was meant to be a good coach, his team got murdered by Bucharest and Villareal.

Moyes is Scottish :mrgreen:

English managers are crap...and I don't see things changing for a while now. IMO they come in two flavours - those that encourage Route 1 football (i.e. hoofing the ball - Allardyce) or those that live off bringing the passion outta players (i.e. Keegan, Pearce?).

The truly tactical English wizards have long gone with Cloughie, Shanks and Paisley - and as long as teams continue to sign random past heroes (I mean, can you imagine Shearer being a good manager?), I don't see things changing.

Shanks, as in Billy Shankly, the guy that was born in Ayrshire, Scotland.

And you picked up on the 'Moyes' thing. :lol:

FD

p.s. You support Liverpool too. :lol:

Csaunders - Regarding the SPL being a 2 horse race, that is true, however TV money is cutting all the teams throats. That is why people come out with half arsed comments about how the likes of Bolton, Middlesboro and Fulham wouldn't struggle in the SPL, well they would if they where getting around 500k-£1m (at most) a season in TV revenue.

The whole SPL pull in around under £9m a season from Setanta split between all the teams (Sky had offered somewhere between £10-£11m for all p.s.). In the EPL the average promoted team pulls in around £20m+ and if they are relegated straight away they can still get a windfall of £7m per season for the next 2 years, so in total roughly £35m for a promoted team. Wolves if I remember right pulled in the least a measly £14m ( :roll: ) for their season in the Premiership and £7m for the next 2 years they spent in the Premiership (not to mention that they probably got TV revenue from the Championship). So they only brought in £28m for their 1 season visit to the Premiership. Celtic and Rangers are lucky if they make £1.5m per season each, the rest around half that.

FD

I think the last English manager to win a trophy out of england was Sir Bobby at the Camp Nou, English mangers are clearly weaker than the Itailian managers at the moment need more at a higher level . Have never thought anything good about Moyes and most scottish managers are avarage IMO the only good ones in recent years have been Sir Alex(who is currently on a downward spiral) and Walter Smith , Burley has to prove his worth still .In connection with Hearts makin a go at it for a 3 horse race they still have a long way to go , remember everton last year they were gettin talked about for contenders for title winners lmao.Well see how it pans out Rangers are still champions , how many points were they behind last day of the season and still came back to win on the amazin last day of the season. :P

fd1972uk said:
Shanks, as in Billy Shankly, the guy that was born in Ayrshire, Scotland.

And you picked up on the 'Moyes' thing. :lol:

FD

p.s. You support Liverpool too. :lol:

Whoops...roll of the tongue - those three names just go together when u talk about great British managers :eh: :mrgreen: oh well...I guess my argument just falls flat there then(!)

Milanista said:
Berlusconi is a corrupt man, but his dealings with Milan havent actually changed anything in the league but the funds... but then again theres the Abramovics, Fraziers, and Real Madrid guy..forgot his name.. who inject funds.
The New Owners Of Manchester United Football Club
frasier.jpg

:lol: ;)

:lol: Rune you bastard. :mrgreen:

a little off topic but here's something interesting.
LONDON (Reuters) - If you don't understand soccer's offside rule, don't ask a man -- find a woman.

British women are top of the table when it comes to knowledge about the game, relegating their menfolk to second spot, according to a survey released Wednesday.

Research found that 59 percent of women could correctly identify the offside law -- one of the game's hardest to comprehend -- as opposed to just 55 percent of men.

Also 65 percent of women correctly used the title assistant referee, while 40 percent of men wrongly referred to the official as a "linesman."

"I've never understood the big fuss surrounding whether girls know what they're talking about when it comes to football because it was my mum who taught me the offside rule when I was a kid," said Sky Sports presenter Helen Chamberlain.

However when it came to team strip, the men were way ahead. More than 80 percent of men could correctly identify the kits of the 20 Premiership teams compared to just 33 percent of women, the survey of 2,000 customers of sports bar Walkabout found.
Source

What's so hard about the offside rule?

fd1972uk said:
Csaunders - Regarding the SPL being a 2 horse race, that is true, however TV money is cutting all the teams throats. That is why people come out with half arsed comments about how the likes of Bolton, Middlesboro and Fulham wouldn't struggle in the SPL, well they would if they where getting around 500k-£1m (at most) a season in TV revenue.

The whole SPL pull in around under £9m a season from Setanta split between all the teams (Sky had offered somewhere between £10-£11m for all p.s.). In the EPL the average promoted team pulls in around £20m+ and if they are relegated straight away they can still get a windfall of £7m per season for the next 2 years, so in total roughly £35m for a promoted team. Wolves if I remember right pulled in the least a measly £14m ( :roll: ) for their season in the Premiership and £7m for the next 2 years they spent in the Premiership (not to mention that they probably got TV revenue from the Championship). So they only brought in £28m for their 1 season visit to the Premiership. Celtic and Rangers are lucky if they make £1.5m per season each, the rest around half that.

FD
agreed, money is a big obstacle to scottish teams...

Back
Top Bottom