Best League in Europe?

ALAIN

blue!!!!
22 February 2005
france
chelsea fc,psg
Hi guys!!!i m French and i live in france but i prefer English football.I'd like to know what is the best league in EUROPE for you?
I think for me EPL is the better for a lot of reasons:

crowd is fantastic;players are so strong like Lampard,Terry,Henri,Sholes etc...Referee are great(not like in France!!!!)

La Liga. The best, most attractive football is played here, and it's always competitive. In the past few years we've had different league winners from Real Madrid, Barcelona, Deportivo La Coruna, Valencia and not so long ago even Atletico Madrid.

England is now a one-horse race, and attendances are beginning to fall. The level of quality outside the top 4/5 clubs isn't great. It bores the arse off me to watch teams like Birmingham, Bolton, West Brom.

Italy has some great teams but is beset with ingrained racism and corruption. Teams going bankrupt, being promoted one week and demoted the next. The racism really riles with me as there seems to be nothing done about it and it happens week after week.

ClassicD said:
La Liga. The best, most attractive football is played here, and it's always competitive. In the past few years we've had different league winners from Real Madrid, Barcelona, Deportivo La Coruna, Valencia and not so long ago even Atletico Madrid.

It's too slow and technical for me, bores me to watch.also the audience sucks, there's like no atmosphere in the stadium.boring. ;)

ClassicD said:
England is now a one-horse race, and attendances are beginning to fall. The level of quality outside the top 4/5 clubs isn't great. It bores the arse off me to watch teams like Birmingham, Bolton, West Brom.

I agree there, but it's still kinda entertaining to watch and they have shitload of quality players in all squads.that's why it'S my second favorite.

btw, if you like competetive leagues - watch bundesliga.even if seems like there a 3 runner ups on the top with Bayern, Hamburg, Bremen, still other teams also have chance to get up in the table (Leverkusen, Schalke, even Wolfsburg, Berlin etc.)That's why i love the german league, quality football, good speed, great attendances (highest in europe),and even the small teams can beat the big ones.that's why it is the best for me in europe :)

ClassicD said:
Italy has some great teams but is beset with ingrained racism and corruption. Teams going bankrupt, being promoted one week and demoted the next. The racism really riles with me as there seems to be nothing done about it and it happens week after week.

i agree.while the football developed to something better over the past years (results, quality of play) it's just not enjoyable what happens around the football.and that seems to take control in italy.

1.England
2.Spanish
3Italy
4Germany
5french or Portugal

this is for me the classification

thomasgoal:not only the hands of lyon's players but almost each game there are some big mistakes does by the referee in France!!!!!

1.Seria A very good players all postitions, fantastic teams and less match fixing than before (could I be wrong).

2,The Premiership IMO better than La Liga I dont think the fact its had less winners than spain in the past few years has anything to do with it , this season chealsea has taken a good lead on a long race , at the end of the day its not over ppl say its over but its not a long way to go.

3.La Liga got the best brazilian selection but so what get some proper defenders and we will call it a better league far to much attacking gung-ho football for my liking a balance is certainly needed here . Simple fact haow well have Spanish teams done in Europe over the last few years.

4 Bundesliga/Ligue 1 very close 2 strong leauges tbh the bottom of the barrell of the strong leagues.

The rest dont matter.

England cant have the bloody Brazilians, the only one team to have a Brazilan that is English and in the Champions League is Arsenal, its the fucking work permits!

La Liga, for God's sake. :) Every team has a chance to win, they all perform great (remember Alavés and Rayo Vallecano reaching UEFA semifinals, and Alavés losing by an own goal at the final?) Betis and Villareal were able last season to outperform the big names of Valencia, Deportivo and Atlético de Madrid. Sevilla was in too. Those who say that la Liga lacks enthusiasm and environment should take a look at some stadiums like the ones of Atlético Madrid, Sevilla, Cádiz, Osasuna or Ath. Bilbao. The big European nights at the Bernabéu are memorable. Speaking of lack of passion, there's Delle Alpi :)

EPL lacks the competitive power of La Liga or the Italian league: there are just four or five teams that can end up winning the tournament, and it is very very strange to see Arsenal, Man Utd, Chelsea or Liverpool miss an European tournament.

Plus, they lack the presence of international stars that La Liga and il Calcio have. I think Michael Owen has been the only Ballon D'Or winner in the last years that came from the EPL, am I right? That means something. The big stars ussually prefer a less physical, more talented league, especially south-american ones. And not having the big Brazilian and Argentinian names is a big loss. :)

IMHO, Italian league was #1 until mid nineties, when it became too conservative and defensive, and La Liga took its place as the most spectacular and balanced competition.

Gedtillo said:
That means something. The big stars ussually prefer a less physical, more talented league, especially south-american ones. And not having the big Brazilian and Argentinian names is a big loss. :)

well, work permits.that's the big problem.

and btw, a big part of brazilian national defense plays in german teams. :mrgreen:

If us English teams want world class Brazilians, we have to wait for them to be eligible for work permits, however, by this time, their values have shot up by like 10 times! A perfect example of someone like that currently, is Fred.

No offense but i find it so boring to watch, they make a simple game complicated by managers.

Speaking of last year's successes in Europe: in the last seven years, Spain has had three UCL Champions, plus two runner-up places (both Valencia) including a Spanish-only final, a UEFA winner (Valencia) and a runner-up (Alavés), and many many semi-final presences (Villareal, Rayo Vallecano, Valencia, Barcelona) in both European cups.

EPL has had, in the same period, only two UCL championship (Man Utd., Liverpool), NO runner-up teams, and only one UEFA champion, plus one runner-up team (Arsenal). Seriously, you cannot say that EPL has been more powerful than La Liga. Spanish league has only done badly in the Champions League last year.

OPM said:
well, work permits.that's the big problem.

and btw, a big part of brazilian national defense plays in german teams. :mrgreen:

But it's not Brazilian defenders that make the difference, am I wrong? ;) It's Ronaldo, Ronaldinho, Robinho, Adriano, Kaká, or Aimar, Saviola, Riquelme, Messi... ;)

Plus, I don't care if the reason for not having Brazilian or Argentinian players is work permits, the rain or Muhammad-Squared-Balls-Bruce-Lee. The fact is that they don't play in Britain, so EPL lacks their talent, hence it helps it be a less attractive competition.

Sulph you've been playing too much Championship Manager, work permits are nothing to do with the lack of South Americans in the EPL. Celtic play in Scotland which has the same rules, and we have Japanese and Chinese players. Work Permits are only a problem when the player hasn't played in enough international games and/or isn't regarded as having enough of a reputation to earn one. This did not apply to Ronaldinho when choosing Barcelona over Manchester United. It's also no coincidence Veron was unable to settle in that league, despite having two attempts. The jury is still out on Crespo IMO, although Drogba is partially to blame as he's in form.

The EPL is more physical than La Liga/Serie A, and doesn't protect technical skill and ability as much as those two do. The style of football is also more direct and less about technique than those two.

ok la liga and the calcio have the both great players and big teams but can you tell me the result of the last games beetween spanish and italian team against english team?

Chelsea-barcelone 4-2/1-2 CHELSEA qualify!!
liverpool-juventus 2-1/0-0 LIVERPOOL qualify!!!
final champions league :liverpool-milan ac 3-3 Liverpool won on penalty

liverpool EUROPEEN CHAMPION!!!!!

i remember a certain as roma arsenal,arsenal lost at home but won 3-0 in Rome with three goal for T.Henry!!!!!and qualify!!!the same for INTER/ARSENAL,arsenal lost at home 3-0 and won in Inter milan 5-0 OR 1!!!

Italians teams are strong but your league is too boring!!!!!!

It's hard to say which is best as the top 3 have different styles and different attractions.

For example I myself love EPL the best despite La Liga/Serie A having more skillful players and flair players like South Americans.

But then EPL has its own great things like direct/fast paced style of game like ClassicD said, the crowd, the atmosphere the intensity and the fact that at ALL times it looks like everyone is giving 110% where as Serie A sometimes I watch some lower teams and they look like Primma Donnas and some aren't even giving 90% you see them walk back instead of sprint back and not dive into tackles with same passion/intensity that they do in Germany/EPL.

So It's very hard for me to say which is best league and each have their own reason for keeping me attracted and a frequent viewer but all I can say is the top 5 leagues are definately:

EPL
Serie A
La Liga
Bundesliga
Ligue 1

and then after these 5.. for those who really follow football and aren't just talking crap you can see quite a large gap between 6th championship and Ligue 1. Whehter that's Eredivisie, Russian league, Turkish or Portuguese Superliga.. Ligue 1 is MUCH MUCH better than them in terms of quality/players and even-ness of teams where anything can happen and there's many descent teams who can finish anywhere between 15th to 6th in France while in some other countries like Scotland, Portugal, it's same story of big 2 or big 3 clubs and veyr boring.

Now I know Lyon has won 4 times in a row.. but it's been an exciting race and involving different challengers each time once with Nantes, Lens won it a few years back and then once PSG coming close and once Monaco.

For me Ligue 1 and the other top 5 are all great leagues that I just have to watch and follow and it is football at its best and the gap between 1st league and 5th league is actually NOT as much as English/Italian and Spanish think. They often really under-rate Bundesliga or Ligue 1 where as quality of those leagues is also very high and so are the players which is why you see a shit load of French players in each EPL team some even coming from lower teams like Rennes to teams like Chelsea or even from 2nd division like new Chelsea youngster Diarra.

Anyways.. so this is a a never-ending debate one can have over who's actually 1st, 2nd or 3rd but I don't realy care bout that and there is no real ANSWER. Comparing how Italian/Spanish and EPL teams faired against each other is not the be-all, tell-all. What about how strong all teams are???

In france for example.. teams are very close to each other in terms of squad skill except few teams who are better like Lyon/PSG/Marseille who have bigger budgets and this makes for a very intersting season every year as each year there is a team that pops up and breaks into first 3 or so last year it being Lille, few years back Nantes did and won the league, year before that Lens did and won the league and also teams like Auxurre doing it sometimes and seeing Marseille near last is always fun :) and not necesarily something you see in other leagues because over there the gap between top teams and rest of league is TOO MUCH.

Fact is all these 5 are highly entertaining, high quality football and I'd hate to miss out even on a single one and it's very tough deciding which is actually #1 #2 and #3 because all have their good/bad points.

After these 5, being a football freak I obviously still like to follow Turkish/Russian/Holland and Portuguese as well as Brazilian and Argentininan league to Some level.. but it's not a MUST for me like the top 5 leagues cuz those are the SHIT! :D

Last edited:
Last year in the Champions League the English clubs clearly dominated over the Spanish and Italian teams, Chelsea knocked out Barca. Liverpool knocked out Deportivo(who got 2 points in the campain u tell me when an english team got 2 points) ,Juventus and AC Milan. Also Roma out with 1 point and Valencia out of the groups stages with 7 points England 4 out of 4 from the group stages.The year before Arsenal knocked Inter out there group and Celta Vigo out of the knockouts again england 3 out of 3 from group stages.Lazio failed to get through group stages.At the end of the day 2 years in football aint just a bit of luck english teams are proving to get far better on the European stage and the Spanish teams are lookin weaker. This season has started with that same pattern apart from Barca 6 form 6 , where as Liverpool beat Betis in Spain and Villareal are on 2 points in a group which could prove tricky for them.

Last edited:
The UEFA Champions League, of course :D

CD, don't forget racism is rife in La Liga as well, unfortunately. But yeah, the financial dealings and corruption in Italian football is almost a microcosm of Italian politics, and how the country is run in general.

They all have their strong and weak points.

England: spectacular, quick, great atmosphere but tactically immature and a one horse race.

Italy: football as a chess game, lots of passion, the best defenders in the worrld but match fixing, corruption and the influece of the Agnelli's and the Berlusconi's of this world.

Spain: very tactical, great attacking play but tactically old fashioned.

Germany: every team can beat every other team but in the end Bayern usually wins...

France: loads of good African players, the stars of tomorrow play in France but they move on before they are stars...

Dutch competition: lots of goals, exciting players but bad defenders

Belgium: oops...

Back
Top Bottom