Best League in Europe?

It's all in the eye of the beholder.

Though I find it a little ignorant, to degrade Serie A because of it's corruption. It doesn't take away much from the high standard of football there, and your only kidding yourself if you think EPL etc. are saints.

Stan said:
France: loads of good African players, the stars of tomorrow play in France but they move on before they are stars...

It's the law of the money, but the French school is the best in the world for the very young players.

Italy: football as a chess game, lots of passion, the best defenders in the worrld

No i am not agree with you!!!!!!Nesta,canavarro,and Zambrotta are the only defenders who have the international level in Italy!!!!

in England:TERRY,campbell,ferdinand,woodgate,carragher,l.king,this is the really best defenders!!!and it is only the center back!!!!

Oh dear saying Ferdinand, King, Woodgate or Campbell are as complete as Nesta or Cannavaro?......

Ferdinand is good but often makes stupid mistakes, Campbell has no ball control whatsoever, King is pretty solid but can no where be compared to the likes of Nesta or Canna.
Woodgate - no comment.

imo only Terry and Carragher play as if they were world class.

Woodgate has something to prove still, cant say he isnt worldclass tho time will tell with that one I dont think campbell is as good as terry or ferdinand but I do think thats the only world class CB's that Italy have Cannavaro is more complete and at that is also what 32?

ClassicD said:
Sulph you've been playing too much Championship Manager, work permits are nothing to do with the lack of South Americans in the EPL. Celtic play in Scotland which has the same rules, and we have Japanese and Chinese players. Work Permits are only a problem when the player hasn't played in enough international games and/or isn't regarded as having enough of a reputation to earn one. This did not apply to Ronaldinho when choosing Barcelona over Manchester United. It's also no coincidence Veron was unable to settle in that league, despite having two attempts. The jury is still out on Crespo IMO, although Drogba is partially to blame as he's in form.

Oh yes it is, in fact they did a very segment of this on FootbalL Focus.

English clubs couldnt have signed players like Robinho, Fred, Ronaldinho in the early days, but only once they have been eligble for a work permit, by this time however, they would have already blossomed at a big club and have been attached to a very high price tags.

They also said that within many many many years, the only team to have a Brazlian not in the first eleven, and win the Champions League, was Liverpool.

Last edited:
I do think thats the only world class CB's that Italy have Cannavaro is more complete and at that is also what 32?

yes i agree with you cloud!!

who ARE the next defenders in italy? Cannavaro 32 NESTA 28 Pannucci 31?I don't think that it is them!!(lol)

THE futur is in england terry 24 FERDINAND 26 king 24 OR 25 WOODGATE 26 or 27!!

Cloud1863 said:
Last year in the Champions League the English clubs clearly dominated over the Spanish and Italian teams, Chelsea knocked out Barca. Liverpool knocked out Deportivo(who got 2 points in the campain u tell me when an english team got 2 points)

Mate, I'm a big supporter of the EPL but remember that the (supposedly) 4th best team couldn't even make it through the 3rd round qualification stages(!).

But as many mentioned previously, each league has got their strengths and failings. Tactically & skillwise, La Liga & Serie A, is way ahead but I personally like to watch the premiership. Although I have to say that the sheer skillage shown by some EPL players and with managers like Benitez & Co coming in, the gap is shortening.

Sulph said:
Oh yes it is, in fact they did a very segment of this on FootbalL Focus.

English clubs couldnt have signed players like Robinho, Fred, Ronaldinho in the early days, but only once they have been eligble for a work permit, by this time however, they would have already blossomed at a big club and have been attached to a very high price tags.

They also said that within many many many years, the only team to have a Brazlian not in the first eleven, and win the Champions League, was Liverpool.
Before they're known yes, but Manchester United tried to buy Ronaldinho from PSG and he chose to go to Barcelona instead, it was nothing to do with a work permit. :roll:

By the same token, clubs in Spain for example can only register a set number of non-EU players, so they can't simply go around snapping up anyone they feel like. This ruling also used to apply to other nations like Holland, although I'm not sure it does anymore.

I do take your point that other nations have an advantage when it comes to nabbing these players before they're massive stars, but I don't believe that's why there's so few South Americans in the EPL - they style of play just doesn't suit them.

The fact that most south americans have spanish/italian relatives gives them the ability to go to italy or spain easily. Cicinho has italian relatives..... has italian passport so hes now EU.

Well guess there had to be another one on this, it's been a month hasn't it since the last?

Short and sweet, my favourite and best IMO is the Spanish.

FD

rockykabir said:
Mate, I'm a big supporter of the EPL but remember that the (supposedly) 4th best team couldn't even make it through the 3rd round qualification stages(!).

But as many mentioned previously, each league has got their strengths and failings. Tactically & skillwise, La Liga & Serie A, is way ahead but I personally like to watch the premiership. Although I have to say that the sheer skillage shown by some EPL players and with managers like Benitez & Co coming in, the gap is shortening.

U talking about everton , what a dissapiontment it was when they got a cl spot , could have gave it to a number of other teams who would have done much better and represented the EPL. I think Everton performance now is clearly showing what they are all about the league table doesnt lie.

This shouldn't even be up for debate. The EPL is the most over-hyped and over-rated league in the world with very average players earning fortunes.

The best league is the SPL closely followed by the Spanish League. :mrgreen:

lol.

The spansih league is over hyped needs a lot more balance , teams like real and barca have by far the most tallented players in spain, the rest dont have as great players good players but no real great players, look in the EPL and Seria A and quality is through out the leagues defenders , midfielders and strikers.

Last edited:
NakamuraTheTim said:
This shouldn't even be up for debate. The EPL is the most over-hyped and over-rated league in the world with very average players earning fortunes.

The best league is the SPL closely followed by the Spanish League. :mrgreen:

lol.
So true. \\:o/

Cloud1863 said:
The spansih league is over hyped needs a lot more balance , teams like real and barca have by far the most tallented players in spain, the rest dont have as great players good players but no real great players, look in the EPL and Seria A and quality is through out the leagues defenders , midfielders and strikers.
Like I said, take a look at the number of teams who've won La Liga over the past years.

Real Madrid
Barcelona
Valencia
Deportivo La Coruna
Atletico Madrid

Take a look at England:

Arsenal
Man Utd
Chelsea

Italy?

Juve
Milan

Spanish teams have a ton of great players outwith the big two, Riquelme, Saviola, Torres, Martin Petrov, Valeron, Aimar, Baraja, Vicente, Joaquin etc, etc.

nt89 said:
juventus - real ? 1/0 and 2/1 JUVE QUALIFIY, with liverpool only 20 minutes of our blackout in liverpool
I have no idea what you're on about mate...wrong thread? :lol:

My pennysworth? I agree with Prof.Nutmeg - I like all football....even SPL! :mrgreen:

Tbh I'm like Prof, I love all football. Don't get me wrong if they where all the footy was on at the same time, I'd watch:-

1. Spanish
2. Italy
3. English

Have to admit, my Saturday nights are now as relaxed as ever, no going out now, when I can I stick to a Friday. Saturday is football day, kick my feet up and watch a mixture of La Liga, Serie A and EPL, footy from around 5pm-midnight...........excellent.

FD

Last edited:
ALAIN said:
I do think thats the only world class CB's that Italy have Cannavaro is more complete and at that is also what 32?

yes i agree with you cloud!!

who ARE the next defenders in italy? Cannavaro 32 NESTA 28 Pannucci 31?I don't think that it is them!!(lol)

THE futur is in england terry 24 FERDINAND 26 king 24 OR 25 WOODGATE 26 or 27!!

Woodgate and King? Come on! Hardly in the class of Cannanvaro and Nesta, or ever will be. Neither is Ferdinand, this guy is almost as overrated as a certain teammate of his.
Only Terry, though I think he still lacks compared to the likes of Cannavaro and Nesta.

Before saying there aren't any defenders after Cannavaro and Nesta, it's wise to gather information yourself first. Instead of listening to the English media, who only report on the EPL and say are able to say the EPL is the best (propoganda). That's also the reason so many associate corruption to serie a, that's all the (any)media talks about.
Anyway italy has many more prospects coming after Cannavaro and Nesta; Barzagli, Terlizzi, Natali, Coda, Chiellini, Bonera, and Bovo to name a few. Nesta and Cannavaro have plenty of years left in them anyway.

WHAT!!!!!SPL is the best? I M dreaming or what!!!!in spl there are only two team!!!!celtic and rangers!!!!!what a league!!!lol!

ALAIN said:
WHAT!!!!!SPL is the best? I M dreaming or what!!!!in spl there are only two team!!!!celtic and rangers!!!!!what a league!!!lol!
I don't think he meant it seriously, but...

Code:
TEAM     PLAYED   POINTS

1.Hearts    9       25
2.Celtic    9       22
3.Rangers   9       16

Hearts beat Rangers 1-0 a few weeks ago, Celtic vs Hearts this weekend.

Look at EPL last season, Liverpool closer to relegation than to Chelsea in terms of points. This season, Chelsea already running away with it. And even before Chelsea became so strong, it was only Arsenal/Man Utd competing for years anyway, so that's a silly thing to say about the SPL.

Don Domenico said:
Woodgate and King? Come on! Hardly in the class of Cannanvaro and Nesta, or ever will be. Neither is Ferdinand, this guy is almost as overrated as a certain teammate of his.
Only Terry, though I think he still lacks compared to the likes of Cannavaro and Nesta.

Before saying there aren't any defenders after Cannavaro and Nesta, it's wise to gather information yourself first. Instead of listening to the English media, who only report on the EPL and say are able to say the EPL is the best (propoganda). That's also the reason so many associate corruption to serie a, that's all the (any)media talks about.
Anyway italy has many more prospects coming after Cannavaro and Nesta; Barzagli, Terlizzi, Natali, Coda, Chiellini, Bonera, and Bovo to name a few. Nesta and Cannavaro have plenty of years left in them anyway.
ahh don again, with a jibe at either ronaldo or rooney, im guessing rooney, Rio is world class in every meaning of the word, he possibly has the best touch and passing ability of any defender in the world, its his game in the air he has problems with, but he can mark with the best of them and rarely wastes a ball out of the back.... Terry is class too... And people associate corruption to Italy cause its true, How come colini never refed juventus games? I could go on and on about the corruption at juventus, and its far from media hype created by the british media...

ClassicD said:
I don't think he meant it seriously, but...

Code:
TEAM     PLAYED   POINTS

1.Hearts    9       25
2.Celtic    9       22
3.Rangers   9       16

Hearts beat Rangers 1-0 a few weeks ago, Celtic vs Hearts this weekend.

Look at EPL last season, Liverpool closer to relegation than to Chelsea in terms of points. This season, Chelsea already running away with it. And even before Chelsea became so strong, it was only Arsenal/Man Utd competing for years anyway, so that's a silly thing to say about the SPL.
true but do you really thing that Hotspurs or say Bolton or Middlesborough would finish middle to last in SPL... I doubt it... Its not the top teams in england and scotland that are far off, its the middle to bottom teams, wehre there is a great difference..... England middle teams being far better then there scottish counterparts...

Who reffed Juve-Inter last year?

Ferdinand is a good defender, but how many times does he blank out and make the dumbest and most basic mistakes in the world? His heading is awful. Hes good at doing well timed tackles, but sometimes just becomes invisible. Nesta was already captain of Lazio and won lo Scudetto at 24/25, and is one of the most elegant defenders around.

Back
Top Bottom