Best League in Europe?

Best league out of the Italian, English and Spanish? My opinion? The Spanish. Why? A perfect balance between pace, technique, entertainment, tactics and competitiveness.

The other two leagues mentioned above only hold merit in the upper echelons. Well, in the case of the English league it USED to, but no longer.

For other football South American is the best. Fast, technically amazing end to end stuff. Tactically lapse of course.

csaunders said:
agreed, money is a big obstacle to scottish teams...

That can be said also on every other league.
for example if the portuguese teams could hold onto their best players our league would have alot more quality. Recent example is the destruction fo Porto's team of UEFA and CL. :( (although this year i'm quite happy with team )

Not "every other league" Revan, just the smaller ones. Portugal also has the bonus of being able to bring in all those Brasilians very easily due to the lack of a language barrier and no work permit situation.

ClassicD said:
Not "every other league" Revan, just the smaller ones. Portugal also has the bonus of being able to bring in all those Brasilians very easily due to the lack of a language barrier and no work permit situation.

well yeah... we don't have work permit problems and the language being the same. But I consider it also a problem, since the brazilian market is cheap and we even see almost full 11's of brazilians, and its a problem cause it hinders the growth of the portuguese youngsters. And every portuguese team besides the big 3 and braga, can't generate enough revenues for the club, they have to sell players, and that's why we can't keep our best. Even the biggest clubs have to eventually sell.

But I understand your frustration, because the work permit should be more flexible. It should be like spain. can't have more than 3 players outside europe.

I think that the most competitive league is the Spanish...there are 4 or 5 teams that can win the league( Barça, R.Madrid, Valencia, At.Madrid...), Barça and R.Madrid can win the champions league, Sevilla(Saviola, Luis Fabiano, Kanoute, Daniel Alves, Renato....) can win the UEFA...

In the other leagues only 1 tema can win their legues...Chelsea will win all the matches and Juventus (Zlatan Ibrahimovic :applause: \\:o/ :applause: )the same (but i think that milan has the best team in Italy..)

Cloud1863 said:
The spansih league is over hyped needs a lot more balance , teams like real and barca have by far the most tallented players in spain, the rest dont have as great players good players but no real great players

more balance??? do you know wich team is the leader now?? GETAFE!!! (only 2 years in the first division in his history!!!) and the second??(CELTA!!! (they have just arrive to the first division...last year they were on the 2nd division)...and do you know where is Barcelona (10th.)....more balance??? IMPOSSIBLE!!!

Here in Spain every team can win the other (R.Madrid lost in Bernabeu withh Celta...Barcelona drawed vs. Alaves..Deportivo lost vs Osasuna) and we have the best players without discussion.

One more thing...Chelsea last year won Barça in Ch.League bacause of Collina that didnt see foult of Terry in the fourth goal... :roll:

1st Spanish league... 2nd Italian league... 3rd English league
French league????-------> O.Lyon and Juninho!!!

(sorry again for my english :roll: )

Last edited:
I hate it when ppl say things like that getafe first, the league is still to be decided getafe could finish 4th bottom , give me a statement like that at the end of the seaosn when the marathon is completed not after what 6 games.My argument of balance was more to do with the balance of players over the park ie u have far more good attacking players to defenders.

Last 10 years:

2004-2005: Barcelona
2003-2004: Valencia
2002-2003: Real Madrid
2001-2002: Valencia
2000-2001: Real Madrid
1999-2000: Deportivo la Coruna
1998-1999: Barcelona
1997-1998: Barcelona
1996-1997: Real Madrid
1995-1996: Atletico Madrid

5 different teams have won it in that time, it's a competitive league. As for the balance, since when was it a bad thing for the viewer to have a mainly attack-based balance? For the past hundred years, all I've heard is how Serie A isn't as good as the EPL because teams are so defensively-orientated, and now La Liga is too attack-based.

I think this is the third time u have made this point, yea its competative yea 5 different teams have won but no that doesnt elevate it 2 the best league in the world .I actually think that Seria A is beter than the premiership , it has a extensivly good mix of players up and down the team sheet, like the premiership and it is tactically superior to any league, the prem still has a better mix of players over the board than la liga , and Chelseas wicked ways is the only reasn that the prem is the way it is at the end of this season see what the league looks like with out chelsea. Take a look at the rest of the leauge, if chelsea where 2 play in anyother league with the same bunlde of money, manager and player tho they would broberly have more brazillians in spain it would b a very similer story.

ClassicD said:
Last 10 years:

2004-2005: Barcelona
2003-2004: Valencia
2002-2003: Real Madrid
2001-2002: Valencia
2000-2001: Real Madrid
1999-2000: Deportivo la Coruna
1998-1999: Barcelona
1997-1998: Barcelona
1996-1997: Real Madrid
1995-1996: Atletico Madrid

5 different teams have won it in that time, it's a competitive league. As for the balance, since when was it a bad thing for the viewer to have a mainly attack-based balance? For the past hundred years, all I've heard is how Serie A isn't as good as the EPL because teams are so defensively-orientated, and now La Liga is too attack-based.

Serie A has had 4 different teams in the last 5/6 years. Lazio, Roma, Juve and Milan. 1 less than la liga in a shorter period of time. This year Fiorentina are in the top 3, 2 years ago Roma was constantly on top with Milan, the year before Inter lost on the last day.

Last edited:
I wasn't comparing it to Serie A I was trying to show those who have slated La Liga's competitiveness that they're wrong. Serie A might have had 4 teams in the last 5/6 seasons, but those same 4 teams happen to be the only winners for the past 14 seasons:

1992: AC Milan
1993: AC Milan
1994: AC Milan
1995: Juventus Turin
1996: AC Milan
1997: Juventus Turin
1998: Juventus Turin
1999: AC Milan
2000: Lazio Rome
2001: AS Roma
2002: Juventus Turin
2003: Juventus Turin
2004: AC Milan
2005: Juventus Turin

i dont think that getafe will fight for yhe LIGA but 3 years ago, we said the same with Real Sociedad and they finished 2nd very very close from R.Madrid...

This discussion soon wil prove to be irrelevant. What football needs is a sort of NBA-style competition for a selection of teams throughout Europe.
What football needs is a fair competition which is not constantly dominated by the same teams. This is the case now:
England: Man United - Arsenal and now Chelsea (and only Chelsea)
Spain: Real Madrid - Barcelona - Valencia - La Coruna
Italy: Juventus and AC Milan (i know Lazio and AS Roma too, but can you imagine this now??)
Germany: Bayern Munchen - Werder Bremen
Portugal: Porto - Benfica and now and then Sporting Lisboa
France: Lyon
Netherlands: Ajax - PSV - Feyenoord
Scotland: Celtic and Rangers (and this year Hearts i hope)
Belgium: Anderlecht - Brugge
Turkey: Galatasaray - Besiktas - Fenerbahce
Greece: Panathinaikos - Olympiakos (and AEK???)

Wouldn't it be much better if all those teams were played an NBA-style competition with draft, salary cap and open accounting???? Remember the almighty Chicago Bulls with Jordan, Pippen and the tattoed guy who used to date Madonna, now they are minions....that is good for sport and not the hegemony of the Berlusconi's and the Abramoviches....

Stan said:
This discussion soon wil prove to be irrelevant. What football needs is a sort of NBA-style competition for a selection of teams throughout Europe.
What football needs is a fair competition which is not constantly dominated by the same teams. This is the case now:
England: Man United - Arsenal and now Chelsea (and only Chelsea)
Spain: Real Madrid - Barcelona - Valencia - La Coruna
Italy: Juventus and AC Milan (i know Lazio and AS Roma too, but can you imagine this now??)
Germany: Bayern Munchen - Werder Bremen
Portugal: Porto - Benfica and now and then Sporting Lisboa
France: Lyon
Netherlands: Ajax - PSV - Feyenoord
Scotland: Celtic and Rangers (and this year Hearts i hope)
Belgium: Anderlecht - Brugge
Turkey: Galatasaray - Besiktas - Fenerbahce
Greece: Panathinaikos - Olympiakos (and AEK???)

Wouldn't it be much better if all those teams were played an NBA-style competition with draft, salary cap and open accounting???? Remember the almighty Chicago Bulls with Jordan, Pippen and the tattoed guy who used to date Madonna, now they are minions....that is good for sport and not the hegemony of the Berlusconi's and the Abramoviches....

I see your point, but I think the NFL cap system would word better than the NBA cap system. The NBA cap system severly restricts player movement while the NFL allows for a bit more flexibility which makes for better competition (i.e. teams don't get stuck with bad players, can get players they need, etc.)...

However, the overall point is well taken...

Back
Top Bottom