Assassins Creed

i played the game yesterday up to the first assassination in damascus.
really good looking and brutal game.

one question: i own the german version and it seems to be uncut because i see blood. are you able to dismember opponents in other versions because in the german you are not.

The advert on TV with the massive attck tune (I think its Massive attack?) and some fo the trailers look brilliant!

Just a shame that the gameplay is not as I expected :(

I think I will get it in a few months.

I want to go around Jerusalem - its spectacular in real life - I wanna see it without the tourists in the olden days :D........and chop some peoples heads off :)

I just played Assassins Creed last night and the game is boring as hell!

How much bread do you guys think i can get for this game?

I'm looking to trade it in for Kane and Lynch. Assassins Creed cost £49.99 in GAME, right? So by next week it should have a trade in price of a least £35 pound, right?

If GAME are selling Kane and Lynch for £39.99, I could just trade it in for that and only pay £5 on top.

This is all assumptions though.

I've still got the extra copy of the game ShopTo sent me! Maybe i can get that sold on ebay for £35, since it's brand new sealed game.

Such a disappointment that Assassins Creed is such a shit, boring, confusing game! :(

Mate, K&L is getting worse reviews than AC, you might want to hold off. Sell it on eBay as you'll get more for it than trading it in. Or sell it on HotUKDeals and AVForums.

Are you MichaelAnderson?

Last edited by a moderator:
Mate, K&L is getting worse reviews than AC, you might want to hold off. Sell it on eBay as you'll get more for it than trading it in. Or sell it on HotUKDeals and AVForums.
Fucking hell, sometimes i wonder if buying a PS3 was a waste of money. I've only truly enjoyed one game so far on it and that was Heavenly Sword! PES2008 was alright, but it wasn't as good as i thought i would be.

Anyways, i have a look at HotUKDeals and AVForums. Thanks Snoop.
Are you MichaelAnderson?
LOL! Who the hell is that.

Last edited:
http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=653583

He got two copies of the game too hehe :) Except he specifically bought two copies (only just seen that).
LOL! What's the point of that. Maybe his up to some smart things.

Guy in my work has just ordered COD4 ... he's had his PS3 for a year and this is his first purchased game :lol:
hahahah! The XBox360 does look tasty to me at the moment. The online community is really appealing to me. I'm thinking of getting one, there's quite a few tasty looking games on it.

BTW do you think i can make some good bread on that avforums? I can put the sealed Assassins Creed up for £35 and the opened one for £30. Do you think thats reasonable?

Why not? They will try and bargain with you though and haggle the price down a bit. You could also say you'll trade if there's any games you'd swap for.

gotta say that im dissapointed with this game. firstly on loading it up seemed to take about 18 years to get into anything resembling decent gameplay, and the story based cutscenes are just getting on my tits instantly. Im just sitting here yawning waiting to get involved. graphics are great, but thats about it. Fighting is basic, just block then button bash till ur enemy dies, the free running part of the game is ruined by the fact that u dont actually do anything apart from hold down some buttons and the fact that the guards have the same abilites as u(might have well stayed on the terrafirma). My character also keeps jumping aways from the wall when i want him to run up it at the exact same time one of the guards is swinging for me. The voice actings a bit weak, the pickpocketing is a joke. Either they shouldnt realise its been nabbed or they should look at the nearest person which is me seeing as i've just jacked them. Same thing for evading, sit on a bench to become invisible. now im gonna have to go back to oxford street to pick up ninja giaden and nhl2k7 or just nhl08, should have followed my instincts in the 1st place. Hopefully my new copy of WE7i will come and i'll be saved from looking at my ps3 and new tv in disgust for another week.

Is it just me or is there a bug in the training bit at the beginning (you're told you have to kill nine men, you step out the castle and you're placed into a training ring)?

It flashes up "press LT to lock" and so you do, then it starts typing out something else and as soon as they hit you it changes back to "press LT to lock", even though you're already locked. So you can't finish the training because it won't finish telling you your next step.

Even if you manage to figure out what it's trying to say, it constantly changes your lock to the second guy instead of the first, and you only get the instructions and the "well done" comments if you get the first guy.

The game is incredibly frustrating, last night I was thinking it was average and now I'm thinking it's just plain bad.

EDIT: I know it quits if you press start, but the combo tutorial finishes and says "that is how it should be done", so surely the first one should say that as well? Either way it's really poor, the game doesn't let you know what's supposed to be happening half the time.

Last edited:
Like the reviews my opinion is mixed, some parts are stunning but others are just plain stupid, like the fact that the soldiers seem to have the same free running skill as you do?

Seems to me that Altair would be a little better at it than your average grunt.

The horse riding and graphics are stunning and the assasination parts are cool too.

Overall I'd say rent don't buy.

Fucking hell, sometimes i wonder if buying a PS3 was a waste of money. I've only truly enjoyed one game so far on it and that was Heavenly Sword! PES2008 was alright, but it wasn't as good as i thought i would be.

Anyways, i have a look at HotUKDeals and AVForums. Thanks Snoop.

LOL! Who the hell is that.

Mass Efect is the only game appealing for me on 360 the rest are on PS3. May as well keep PS3 December you have Haze, Uncharted & Orage Box(finally), Singstar as well.

Get a 360 when Mass Efect is out if you like Rrpg's both consoles are great. COD4 is great on both machines.

AC is pants!!! BORING!!!

Impulse buy at Asda last night... after reading so many negatives about it (and not being that impressed with the vids on GamerTV the last few months), I dont know why I did it!

But, yesterday I read a lot of the GameFaqs board for AC and they were saying people were being way too harsh and looking for the negatives when there were lots of positives.

Anyway, as I loaded it up, my feelings were mixed. Played it into last night and for a few hours this morning and here are my thoughts so far:-

- Graphics are stunning... dont care about the glitches/tearing - its minimal and the view makes up for it.

- Atmosphere is great - bustling cities, good background noise etc, quite immersive.

- I quite like the 'basic' free-running - ok, you are holding down 2 buttons and the character does all the moves, but you still have to pick the right path and I think if you had to do all the jumping, it would get damn frustrating real quick.

- The fighting is ok as well - again, fairly basic, but makes a change from learning combo's etc etc... once you get into a good brawl, defense and attack add enough elements to make it exciting enough.

- I like the story and the missions so far. Horse riding is the best I've seen in a game (although reasonably pointless).

Now the bad...

- Camera is dodgy at times

- AI can be dumb - i.e. a guard can spot you and draw his bow, then you step into the box next to you and he is like "huh... where'd he go?" and then go about his business.

- The much talked about 'puppet' system is a very misleading joke... its basically 4 normal buttons, 1st Person View, Attack, Dodge and Run!! I thought each button would move a limb, which could have made the climbing more interesting.

- My biggest problem is a lack of direction when you have to do something... i.e. targets such as pickpocket victims, eavesdrops etc are not identified - should have been part of Eagle Vision.

I dont really buy into the 'repetiveness' angle too much - any game by its nature is fairly repetitive - COD4 is running and gunning, FIFA 5v5 is virtually the same each time, yet i still love it.

I think the biggest problem everyone has with Assasins Creed is it was hyped up WAAAAAAY too much to be something revolutionary. I will stick my neck out and say it has almost achieved it (would be better if they hadnt sugar-coated the puppet movement system) - this game is 'next-gen' - sure the gameplay can be a bit basic, but its good for a short burst.

If everyone ignored the hype and took the game on face value, they will probably see the beauty and overlook the faults.

Will I keep it or trade it Friday for Mass Effect?? Dont know... I am liking it so far and would give it a solid 8/10... I'll see if my view changes in a week, then decide what to do!

Last edited:
Nice review mate, I'm still dubious. I think it is a good game by reading what people are saying, but because it was hyped so much, we've expected more. And I think that's where a lot of disappointment has came from.

My brother's getting it and I'll be watching him play it tonight for a bit. I'll see what I think then.

I just GOT to Jerusalem and the game is just absolutely wowing me..

i'm glad i went with my gut on this one . there were alot of naysayers but fortunely i was able to tune them out. this game is beautiful and intriguing...better than Bioshock so far

It's really pissing me off how little the game tells you, it makes it feel like it's been totally rushed. I've just lost out on an achievement because after two investigations I went to kill the target, seeing no more investigation icons on the map, not realising that the more towers you go to the more investigations become available. And I'm not starting the game again, I'm bored to death already.

It pisses me off when people make a good game and ruin it with the stupidest little things; this is why I loved Bioshock and why Bioshock got rave reviews, it was a complete game and it was done properly. You knew what you were doing, you knew where you were going, you could even turn this off if you wanted to. I cannot frigging stand it when a game has a good premise and it's ruined by stupid little things that grate and grate and grate until you can't take it any more.

I can see how people would be turned off Assassins Creed at the beginning of the game. The stuff at the start in Masyaf is not particularly entertaining and its not a great place to run about in. However I can see why it is there, its basically an hour and a half tutorial on the controls and mechanics of the game.

Doing a Metroid and taking all of your abilities and weapons off you before you head off into the game proper was probably a mistake I think, although it offers you some reward for progressing it makes the first few assassinations more of a chore and the combat is nowhere near as fun without the counter-moves, the dagger and the throwing knives. You are basically tasked with pressing X in rhythm with the animations untill you can unlock some more moves.

Later in the game though, I am onto my 6th or 7th assassination now, the combat is very very entertaining. I absolutely love starting huge brawls with groups of guards to see how many I can take at once - throw a few Templars in there too and it can get difficult fast.

The lack of mission variety has been citied as the biggest issue with the game, and I would agree it is hardly stimulating doing the same four objectives before each assassination but I don't find it annoying to the point where I dislike doing them.

An interesting way to play the game I have found is to turn off the HUD options in the menu, using only the map for general guidance. See where on the map an informant or an interogation may be and head off in that direction. Exploring the streets and rooftops, stumbling across side quests like citizens being harrassed in the streets that require some assistance, pickpocketing thugs for more throwing knives or throwing beggars into walls.

And all that is before the real missions, the asassinations which are the real focus of the game. The more of the repetitive side missions you do before each assassination offers you more information on your target, ways to reach him or particular weakneses in his defences. Stopping to study the information before an assassination allows you to plan it and execute it as you like. Or you can go in fighting, stab the unlucky sod in the face and leg it across the rooftops back to your hideout.

It's really pissing me off how little the game tells you, it makes it feel like it's been totally rushed. I've just lost out on an achievement because after two investigations I went to kill the target, seeing no more investigation icons on the map, not realising that the more towers you go to the more investigations become available. And I'm not starting the game again, I'm bored to death already.

When you bring up the map after going to a city to start the assassination it says in the corner 0/6 investigations. You only need to do 2, or 3 depending on how far you are, before you can head off to stab your mark. I skipped a few investigations on the first one because I just wanted to see what the assassination missions were like.

You can redo assassinations like they were 'levels' of the game anyway, just select the appropriate memory block from the Animus if you really want the achievements.

Last edited:
Did you 'Synchronise' with the towers?

After you climb to the top and press Y it should show the location of any investigations nearby.

You may need to visit the local Assassins Bureau first if you haven't already.

It did it in two cities and i found a tower that wasn't on a marker so i finaly and got them. I'll have to go back and do the other now.

Oh Christ, I can't wait for that bit.

In fairness I am enjoying it more now and I do want to finish it, it's just that all the goodness in the game can't be enjoyed without one of the bad bits grating all the way through it. It's a better-than-average game but it kills me that it could have been so much better than that. An extra month or two in development (or just ditching all the sci-fi crap they've put in, that would have saved a month or two) and it could have been right up there.

You can redo assassinations like they were 'levels' of the game anyway, just select the appropriate memory block from the Animus if you really want the achievements.
Aha, cheers!

I agree, it is far from perfect.

But some of the reviews for this game make it seems horribly bad and it just isn't.

Something of a flawed masterpiece maybe, if there were more to do in the cities than fight guards and repeat horribly similar investigations each time it would have stood head and shoulders above any 'sand-box' style game so far.

Unfortunately it seems it is a game designed with the sequel in mind. Definitely potential for something great if Ubisoft sort themselves out a bit.

Back
Top Bottom