Album recommendations

gerd said:
Prof, what's your all time favourite band or album or your three favourite ones????

That's a tricky Q gerd. I'm not sure, but i think one would certainly be Ritual De Lo Habitual by Jane's Addiction. They blew me away in the late 80's/early 90s and that album stands the test of time imo.

I hear ya Danwin :cheers:

Ok Let's begin with the sad news.

Today malinese "blues" musician ali farka Touré died. i have his album with Ry cooder and i really love it.

And talking about death people. Last year it was 10 years ago that French singer and songwriter Serge Gainsbourg (Gainsbarre) died. Gainsbarre is one of my all-time heroes. I think he is as important to music as Bob Dylan and other famous English speaking artists. His lyrics are literature and very provocative, but in a stylish way.

Gainsbaare was the first white musician to use reggae rhytms in the seventies.
In the '80's he was the first white artist to use rap and hiphop in his music.

As a tribute to him some English speaking artists have covered his songs (Tricky, Portishead, Cat Power, Michael Stipe, Placebo, Franz Ferdinand,...). Title of the album: Monsieur Gainsbourg

And Philips also released an integral version of his famous concert of New Years Evening 1979/1980. This was a concert with famous reggae musicians like Sly Dunbar and Robbie Shakespeare, the female backing vocals of Bob Marley and Micky "Mao" Chung. In this concert Gainsbarre performed a reggae version of the French national anthem (la Marseillaise) whic he baptisized "aux Armes Etcetera".

the album is called Serge gainsbourg: Etcetera...

I'm curious about this album gerd, mainly because of Micheal Stipe contributing a song. Is the tribute album worth buying? I've never listened to his music.

I really like the album Joost although IMHO most of the original versions are better, but i'm a Gainsbarre fan...
I don't know you but i have a feeling that you would have liked the man...he was a shy person who masked his shyness by surrounding himself with beautiful women (Brigitte Bardot, Jane Birkin, Isabelle Adjani, françoise Hardy) and by being very very provocative. One of his classics was what he did in the 80's in a television show program in prime time saturday evening. He was interviewed by Michel Drucker (worse than Ivo Niehe and Sonja De Mol together) and Whitney Houston was on the same show. Gainsbarre sat on a couch with his trademark Whisky and his even more trademark Gauloises and when he was interviewed by Drucker he barely looked interested. When Houston (who was on the same couch) was interviewed by Drucker he interupted the interview and said to Houston: "I want to fuck you"...everybody was flabbergasted and Gainsbarre just started laughing...
On one of his albums he had a song called Eugenie Sokolov which are simply farts upon a reggae beat...but the man was best in his lyrics (woordspelingen: Harley David Son of a Bitch, Réquiem por un Con).

Why don't you download a couple of Gainsbarre songs or a couple of songs from the album ????

I have a better idea.

If you PM me with your adress, i could sent you my album (have it on my I-Pod) so you could listen to it, return it and buy it yourself if you like it???

You've probably not heard of them but someone on another forum recommended Art Brut to me (as something similar to Subways/Maximo Park, even though they're not really). Absolutely LOVE them, the song "Emily Kane" in particular.

Jack Bauer said:
You've probably not heard of them but someone on another forum recommended Art Brut to me (as something similar to Subways/Maximo Park, even though they're not really). Absolutely LOVE them, the song "Emily Kane" in particular.

Art Brut ain't exactly unknown. I can't get into them though

The Fold - This Too Shall Pass

im liking this band very much at the moment

only1tevez said:
streets new album out april,cant remeber the title of it though

"The Hardest Way To Make An Easy Living"

But is recommending an album that aint out for a month a good idea?

bradley1886 said:
Is recommending The Streets new album a good idea, that seems far more worrying.

I like The Streets. They've got some great stuff and their lyrics actually tend to mean something.

They may be quite simple, but they have a great effect non-the-less

Flawl3ssCowb0y said:
I like The Streets. They've got some great stuff and their lyrics actually tend to mean something.

They may be quite simple, but they have a great effect non-the-less
indeed,the last album a grand dont come for free,all the songs was a story

only1tevez said:
indeed,the last album a grand dont come for free,all the songs was a story

But i could tell a story with a beat playng in the background. Lyrics are important but whens thats all you have to offer it seems a bit lacking.

bradley1886 said:
But i could tell a story with a beat playng in the background. Lyrics are important but whens thats all you have to offer it seems a bit lacking.
fair enough,but the lyrics and the beat are good anyway

Is this thread a place where you can discuss music or is it purely for album recommendations? I would like to find out people's favourite/worst bands and it seems a bit pointless to start a new thread to do so.

bradley1886 said:
Is this thread a place where you can discuss music or is it purely for album recommendations? I would like to find out people's favourite/worst bands and it seems a bit pointless to start a new thread to do so.

Feel free too mate, this forum needs the topics :)

Hmmm, i think it must be 2 years since i posted anything on this site. Not important, felt i'd just share that. I'd say "Where the humans eat" by Willy Mason has been my top album of the past while. Got me through some rough times. I'm also lookin forward to The be your own pet album. They interest me.

The new album by a band called Band of Horses is great! The song The Funeral is probably the best song released this year so far.

Peter Eyres said:
Keep em coming. Finally building up a decent music collection, and finding some real gems, away from the mainstream
You can't say that and then not recommend anything! ;)

Posted this in wrong thread before, opps

Story Of The Year - In the wake of Determination

they seem to have changed there style from there first album, Like what SUM 41 did after All Killer No Filler.

This album has quite a few good guitar solos, not what i expected of them, but im really getting into it,

Ookay, definately:

In your honour -Foo Fighters

Inside In, Inside Out- The Kooks

Orson- Bright Idea

Embrace, the one before their new one. Haven't heard the new one yet

;)

ooh, and the Editors (The BackRoom)

Last edited:
Not an album, but a DVD: Gorillaz: Demon Days Live
What a great DVD...good music and astonishing visuals....one long clip....a must have.

Demon Days the CD is great :) ive got that as well as Gorillaz original album from 2001. My 2 fave albums at the mo are Eminem Curtain Call and Prodigy Their Law The Singles :)

DJ

If you enjoy english bands stuff like the libertines.. pete who is now with babyshambles and the drumer john I think, now without them they've created a new band called Dirty Pritty things. Music style kinda indie/rock really light rock. It's fairley new probably best ENGLISH INDIE ALBUM of 2006.
it's called Waterloo To Anywhere

Back
Top Bottom