Album recommendations

Nobody likes The Subways? The singer just shouts but the songs... Well, beats the shit out of Arctic Monkeys anyway, IMHO.

Darren Tate - Horizons :) Great sunny trance with March Of The Gladiators & All That I Am being my favourites

No mention of Hot Hot Heat either, very good and yet very unique. The singer has a very interesting style, I can't think of anyone else's who's similar off the top of my head.

What's the name of that music website that suggests similar bands to the ones you like? I'd love to hear more songs like The Subways' "Holiday" and the more rocking ones.

I agree Hot Hot Heat are decent. I've also just been listening to Wire - Pink Flag, what a great album and The Mountain Goats are growing on me.

ClassicD said:
The Flaming Lips I can only handle in small doses, some singer's voices really grate over any period of extended listening and their frontman has one of them for me.

Others would be Mercury Rev and Bright Eyes.
I know what you mean though for me it doesn't apply to those three acts.

Norah Jones, however...ouch.

Jack Bauer said:
Nobody likes The Subways? The singer just shouts but the songs... Well, beats the shit out of Arctic Monkeys anyway, IMHO.

hmm...i quite like the subways, apart from when the girl sings(fuck me her voice is annoying). i'm actually supposed to be going to see them in april.

Did somebody already mentioned CocoRosie...
Two great albums:

La Maison de Mon Reve
Noah' Ark

With hindsight Noah's Ark is probably my album of the year for 2005.

And the song Beautiful Boyz is by far the most lovely song of last year...that piano...those voices...

Last edited:
Dont think many ppl will know this band, but anyway I just got their album:

Apollo by the band Nebula. The founders of Nebula are former Fu Manchu members, and mix psychedellic rock with raw and melodic rock.

Anyway, I love this new album as its both fast paced and melodic, making it very nice to listen to overall.

Get Billy Braggs 'Must I paint you a picture' a double cd.

It is Great! The man strips the music to its simplest form, and produces some classic tunes.

I downloaded it recently and can't stop listening to it!

I loved the two Mermaid Avenue albums: Wilco and Billy Bragg playing Woodie Guthrie music.

if you're a fan of rock music, heres some albums should check out.

Panic at the dico - A fever you cant sweat out. (emo/indie)
Hawthorne Heights - If only you were lonely. (emo)
Avenged Sevenfold - City of evil. (hardcore/heavy metal)
Staind - Chapter V. (soft rock)
The receiving end of sirens - Between the heart and the synapse. (emo/screamo)

I cannot stand bands like Panic At The Disco and Fall Out Boy (sorry Flawless ;) ). So many of these American 'teen-styled' bands sound identical, I hate the lot of them.

ClassicD said:
I cannot stand bands like Panic At The Disco and Fall Out Boy (sorry Flawless ;) ). So many of these American 'teen-styled' bands sound identical, I hate the lot of them.

Me too, i've been hearing people hyping these non-stop for the past month, so i downloaded some of their stuff and its shit, sounds like all the other American 'teen-skate' bands.

And this is from the same people who have been saying Arctic Monkeys are crap :lol:

I've been hesitating to try this one Mart...
What Mick Rubin did with Johnny Cash is fantastic, but i always kinda liked Cash and Diamond not...
On the other hand the man wrote a couple of fantastic songs, with a good producer he should be good...i guess i'm kinda prejudiced...

gerd said:
I've been hesitating to try this one Mart...
What Mick Rubin did with Johnny Cash is fantastic, but i always kinda liked Cash and Diamond not...
On the other hand the man wrote a couple of fantastic songs, with a good producer he should be good...i guess i'm kinda prejudiced...
Fight the prejudice!

I was the same but went with it anyway, although the style is similar to Johnny Cash's American albums it's a different beast and Mr Diamond's made a quality album. Rick Rubin certainly has a style but he also brings out the best in the people he works with.

If this album was by someone other than Neil Diamond it'd get a bigger audience.

Trust me, give it a try.

Rubin has produced a double Chili Peppers album which will come out in April i think....i'm looking forward to it...

Oh and is the live CD/DVD from eels already for sale???? Anybody????
Joost????

I have it, it's great!!!!!!!! Especially the Girl From The North Country cover!!!! So fucking beautiful. It's a great concert. E is one talented man.

Lucky you...i hope by monday i can buy it in Brussels...is it a DVD/CD in one package Joost....

No, the cd isn't out yet. It's only the DVD, but I'm just blasted away by Girl From The North Country. It's so fucking beautiful

The Subways remind me of my first band, about 15 years ago - Not particularly good. :mrgreen:

If anyone likes stuff like the "Yeah Yeah Yeahs," you may like "Be Your Own Pet," lots of sub-3 minute songs. Some better than others.

Also listening to those crazy Ukranians, Gogol Bordello. You can't help but sing along to "Start wearing purple." The Slavic stomp makes for a good drinking song :cheers:

I'm also liking Mogwai's "Friend of the night"

Last edited:
Prof, what's your all time favourite band or album or your three favourite ones????
From the same label as Mogwai (and also from Scotland): The Delgado's ...very good (but completely different music from Mogwai's)

Mine:
Tom Waits : Rain Dogs
Miles Davis: Kind of Blue
The Band: Music From Big Pink

Joost, i've bought both CD and DVD from eels...i'm not sure but i think i prefer the CD to the DVD (haven't watched or listened completely so i could be wrong) but i don't like the fact that on the DVD the concert is interupted by "behind-the scene -scenes" (no pun intended)...but i only listened to five or six songs...

The music is great...

Last edited:
bradley1886 said:
hmm...i quite like the subways, apart from when the girl sings(fuck me her voice is annoying). i'm actually supposed to be going to see them in april.
Yeah, I saw them when they played up here in November, the singer was great live, really livened up the show.. managed to half-inch the drummers shoe as a souvenier too 8)

Professor Nutmeg said:
The Subways remind me of my first band, about 15 years ago - Not particularly good. :mrgreen:

If anyone likes stuff like the "Yeah Yeah Yeahs," you may like "Be Your Own Pet," lots of sub-3 minute songs. Some better than others.

Also listening to those crazy Ukranians, Gogol Bordello. You can't help but sing along to "Start wearing purple." The Slavic stomp makes for a good drinking song :cheers:

I'm also liking Mogwai's "Friend of the night"

I'm really fucking loving Gogol Bordello, they make me want to get into a bar fight.

gerd said:
Prof, what's your all time favourite band or album or your three favourite ones????
From the same label as Mogwai (and also from Scotland): The Delgado's ...very good (but completely different music from Mogwai's)

Mine:
Tom Waits : Rain Dogs
Miles Davis: Kind of Blue
The Band: Music From Big Pink

Joost, i've bought both CD and DVD from eels...i'm not sure but i think i prefer the CD to the DVD (haven't watched or listened completely so i could be wrong) but i don't like the fact that on the DVD the concert is interupted by "behind-the scene -scenes" (no pun intended)...but i only listened to five or six songs...

The music is great...

I agree with you about the behind the scenes stuff. I do like the scene in the metro a lot though. It shows how strange E is. I haven't got the cd yet, but I'll buy it mfor sure. I need that music while driving.

Back
Top Bottom