Album recommendations

Re: Best albums of the year

joostebrood said:
Gerd, from this chair here I'm going to assure you Thomas doesn't have a clue what you're talking about. The expression ignorance is bliss was made for him.

I understand perfectly, what Gerd says :)
mmm, no Gerd, i don't remember a great French album this year. :roll:

Last edited by a moderator:

Do anyone have HIM Dark Light album? I like that.

Just heard some stuff from Antony and the Johnsons, and it was strangely soulful and very unique.

Would you recommend their new album?

I like their new album, wasn't sure about his voice to start with but I was fine after a few listens. The first album (self titled) isn't too good though in my opinion, the song writing has improved a lot since then.

Last edited by a moderator:

Death Cab have gone downhill, in my opinion. Nothing on Transatlanticism or Plans compares to stuff like Photobooth, Movie Script Ending, Styrofoam Plates etc.

You aren't talking about Deus, are you, Gerd? I think I've probably confused it with another band (who have song slike Little Arimethic, Hotellounge)?

I don't really list favorutie music as a yearly thing becuase I find music all the time that is released a few years back or more, but they usually end up becoming favourites. Anyway, been listening to a lot of Belle & Sebastian lately. Talented group.

I was talking about dEUS (or DEUS like you write it...) it is the same band which has the songs you mention...if this would have been a British or American band, they would be bigger than Radiohead or Nirvana (they're certainly better).
Unfortunately there is much anglo-saxon chauvinism in music...there are dozens of fine bands from Holland, Belgium, Germany, France, Switzerland, Iceland, Sweden, Norway, Denmark...but somehow they don't get what they deserve whereas some very average anglo-saxon bands are seen as the next big thing: Oasis, Hootie and the Blowfish, the Libertines, The White Stripes,...

Has Antigone Rising made any headway in Europe? they are an all female rock band that has been specifically requested to open for Aerosmith and Rob Thomas (Matchbox 20).

They have a live album available thru Starbucks Cofee shops (i hate them!) that is amazing. the vocalist has got incredible range and power. Plus, she's hot, too. haha.

Stan said:
I was talking about dEUS (or DEUS like you write it...) it is the same band which has the songs you mention...if this would have been a British or American band, they would be bigger than Radiohead or Nirvana (they're certainly better).
Unfortunately there is much anglo-saxon chauvinism in music...there are dozens of fine bands from Holland, Belgium, Germany, France, Switzerland, Iceland, Sweden, Norway, Denmark...but somehow they don't get what they deserve whereas some very average anglo-saxon bands are seen as the next big thing: Oasis, Hootie and the Blowfish, the Libertines, The White Stripes,...

Ah, okay, excuse my ignorance, never knew the band was Antwerp-based.

I just think their stature and promotion has got in the way because whoever I've given a listen to of their songs has adored them. They need a break on the OC or similar shows where the producers are inclined to play some relatively unknown alternative music.

DangerDoom - The Mouse and The Mask
Cormega - The Testament (Not really a new album but it was released this year)
Common - BE
Gorrilaz - Demon Days

Foo Fighters : In Your Honour. Rock side of course ;)

Would recommend Artic Monkeys new album, good stuff. especially tracks "a certain romance" and one called "Space Invaders" which doesnt seem to be on the official track listing though, its very Hendrix-esq!?!? The whole album is pretty strong start to finish.

It's still all about IWAIM - Bright Eyes for me this year. My favorite album of the year.

Holio said:
Foo Fighters : In Your Honour. Rock side of course ;)
Good call, Holio.:applause: Although I personally have a slight preference for Green Day's American Idiot, Foo Fighters' album is right up there (damn...where's the moshing smiley when you need one?:D )

crayon said:
(damn...where's the moshing smiley when you need one?:D )
:rock:

Just for you, is it good enough?

Just heard Funeral by Arcade Fire, Album Of Last Year by an absolute mile for me.

Also recently heard both White Stripes, Audioslave new albums both are top class

The music press of Belgium and Holland also thinks Funertal is the album of the year...i've bougth him and listened once..did not like it..
But sometimes it helps when you give records a second try...i will do that.

You should give it at least a second chance Gerd. It didn't grab me straight away but now I really like it. Definitely one of the albums of last year (or the year before for the US).

Mart said:
You should give it at least a second chance Gerd. It didn't grab me straight away but now I really like it. Definitely one of the albums of last year (or the year before for the US).
there canadian :)

hard-fi - stars of cctv stands out as a clear number 1 for me, although there were a few.

Arcade Fire
Arctic Monkeys (2006?)
Editors
Maximo Park
The Strokes

csaunders said:
there canadian :)
I know mate. :) I was just saying I think the album was out in the US and Canada in 2004, could be wrong though...

Anyone know of any good releases coming out this year? 2005 was a great year for music. Eels will be releasing a live dvd+cd from their last tour, looking forward to that. I will be out February 21.

I know there's loads of hype (in the UK anyway) about Arctic Monkeys, but their album really is great.

Hard-Fi are absolute pish! Maximo Park do my head in, the guy's voice just goes through me, and that haircut... [-X

yes its all about the Artic Monkeys, another great northern band!!!

Most of the stuff on the album has been around for a year, some of the tracks sound better/rawer on the demo (which is still available online) but its still feckin quality...

watch the whole world jump on the bandwagon.....

Vannizzlefashizzal said:
yes its all about the Artic Monkeys, another great northern band!!!

Most of the stuff on the album has been around for a year, some of the tracks sound better/rawer on the demo (which is still available online) but its still feckin quality...

watch the whole world jump on the bandwagon.....

i know exactly what you mean, it really pisses me off to see them in the sun's gossip collumn (although i suppose its better for the band). i had the demo for a while and when i got the album i thought they spoilt a few tracks, namely from the ritz to the rubble. but i'm used to them now so its cool. such a quality band, shame its all going a little mainstream.

First great album of the new year: Ballad of the Broken Seas by Isobel Campbell and Mark Lanegan.

Isobel Campbell sings now and then with Belle and Sebastian.
Mark Lanegan is known from the Screaming Trees, Queens of the Stone Age and (every now and then) the magnificent Walkabouts.

People who like Will Oldham (Bonnie Prince Billy) will like this very folky album.

Don't know if this is a general album thread but does anybody listen to the boys?...they were this four child band back in the late 80's.....they had an album called message from the boys....i remember my mom buying me their album when i was nine (BTW i wasn't born in the 80's lol). Here is the album cover: http://i1.tinypic.com/mj46dc.jpg

Been searching the net to find where they are now and found out there on this born again africa shit lol: http://www.sunsoflight.com/

Last edited:

Also anybody listen to Robin Thicke? Got a song out called wanna love you girl.

RobinThicke.gif

Sorry to invade this thread like this :D

No problem Stringer Belle and if there should be one, i'll call Mc Nulty he already framed you once....(since a couple of days i finally know where your nick comes from...The Wire is great!!!! Did you see it???)

gerd said:
No problem Stringer Belle and if there should be one, i'll call Mc Nulty he already framed you once....(since a couple of days i finally know where your nick comes from...The Wire is great!!!! Did you see it???)
:mrgreen:

Yeah they started the new series yesterday on FX TV over here in England.

Back
Top Bottom