UEFA Champions League '06 - '07 Final: Liverpool - AC Milan

Re: UEFA Champions League 2006 - 2007 Quarter Finals : Draw

I can see it either going terribly wrong for Roma or extremely well for Roma. They seem to be up and down for big games.

true ;)

what do u think about milan - bayern? :)

edit: u just replied :mrgreen:

INow the Bayern game was exactly what I wanted. I think we can take them.

I'm tempte to say that Bayern is much stronger than Milan judged by the previous matches, but that's temporary and (more important) the last seasons Milan fail to impress but somehow always go far in the CL, that can't be a coïncidence and then finally of course there is Kaka...

I'm particularly looking forward to Roma - Man Utd and Liverpool-PSV...somehow i think the winner is among those 4 teams...

I can see it either going terribly wrong for Roma or extremely well for Roma. They seem to be up and down for big games.

Now the Bayern game was exactly what I wanted. I think we can take them. I might be going to San Siro for that game as well, so hopefully Milan's confidence will remain high after last round, and injuries will not be as much as a problem. Kaladze and Nesta will hopefully return, giving us a bit more solidarity. Kaka also seems to be returning to form!

Solidity is the word you looking for, I think ;). Anyway, I hope for your sake that Milan isn't as overconfident of beating Bayern as you are, as I can't see a repeat of last season's 4-1 happening. Bayern might not be so strong this season, but neither is Milan.

Yep, I agree with you Don, but for my own satisfaction, I want us to beat Bayern.

UEFA has made its decision concerning the incidents that took place at the end of last week's match between Valencia and Inter. :applause:

uefa.com said:
The UEFA Control and Disciplinary Body has fined both Valencia CF and FC Internazionale Milano €155,772 (CHF250,000), and suspended Valencia defender David Navarro for seven months, following the incidents which took place at the end of last week's UEFA Champions League encounter in Spain.

Official reports

After examining the official reports of the delegate and referee, as well as video evidence, the UEFA disciplinary body has also imposed bans on several other players from both teams for their part in the incidents after the final whistle. The first knockout round, second leg finished 0-0, with Valencia progressing to the quarter-finals on away goals after a 2-2 first-leg draw.

Others banned

In addition to Navarro, Inter defenders Nicolás Burdisso and Maicon have been banned for six matches and Valencia defender Carlos Marchena for four. Inter defender Iván Córdoba and striker Julio Cruz have received three and two-match bans respectively.

Request to FIFA

UEFA said it would now ask world football’s governing body FIFA to extend the suspension imposed on Navarro to international level so that it also applies to any football competitions - including domestic leagues and national-team fixtures - on top of UEFA club competition matches. The suspensions imposed on the other players will only apply to UEFA club competition matches. Appeals may be lodged against any of these decisions within three days after receipt of the written grounds for the decisions.

As expected, UEFA has proven to be incapable of providing logical punishments.

Great game between Valencia and Chelsea. Only one team wanted to win it in the second half. Sweet!

Joe Cole, although not firing on all cylinders yet, made a huge difference.

Big nose Jim Rosenthal, another arrogant english fucker of a commentator.

"We have an all-English final".

When did AC and Bayern get kicked out the competition?

FD

Big nose Jim Rosenthal, another arrogant english fucker of a commentator.

"We have an all-English final".

When did AC and Bayern get kicked out the competition?

FD

Could not agree more. Thought my ears were playing up!!

Comon Bayern and stick it right up the whole lot of them

I'm pretty sure he said "the potential/possibilty for..."

Personally i wouldn't want a Premiership game as the CL final. I don't even like it in the knock-out stages. I like a healthy mix.

Bayern will win I think... Otto Hitzfeld is the best manager left in the competition, I hope they win.

I'm pretty sure he said "the potential/possibilty for..."

Prof mate, he 100% said "We have an all English final". He did correct himself later on by saying that they had "One English team in the final".

I agree about the all-English final, personally I think it takes a bit of the glamour away from it with the foreign team not being the opposition, however whoever makes it to the final if they're both English won't be bothering.

FD

I do think the possibility on all English final is big...
I've just read Guillem Ballague's "A season on the brink" and i have to say that i have enormous sympathy for Benitez and Liverpool after reading that book.
Liverpool is perhaps the weakest team of the four teams who will remain (let's be honest, in their current form PSV will not create the surprise of the young century...) but after reading that book i'm pretty certain that they are the best Cup team of the four remaining teams. It seems that Benitez, his staff and his players can focus like no one else on a Cup tie...
Once again the match between Liverpool and Chelsea will be a great match (this clash is becoming a classic). I was impressed with Chelsea yesterday...to come from behind against a strong Spanish team...great...
And then i also watched the highlights (and there were plenty)of the "match" between Manchester United and Roma...
Let's be honest, United played football from another planet...maybe Roma had a complete off-day, but still...i've rarely seen a thrashing like that. (For the historians among us: in 1956 Man Utd beat Anderlecht with 10-0, my uncle was wingback for Anderlecht in that match...).
Man Utd's team this year has the perfect mix...Carrick was the last piece in what is now an almost perfect jigsaw puzzle of strong defenders, team players and outstanding creative players...one would almost forget how brilliant players like Scholes and Giggs (one of my all-time favourite playes...yes Runeedge..a Man Utd player...)are if you watch Ronaldo (he's brilliant, but i don't like his diving...he does not need that..).
Man Utd has become something of a Latin team (like the Benfica of the Eusebio years or the great Dutch Milan).
Chelsea has the somewhat boring efficiency of the German teams (but in the end the Germans always win).µ
Liverpool has become something like the big Inter Milan team of the 60's...
Still...don't forget Bayern or Milan...

GRAZIE MANCHESTER GOOOODOOOOOOO

giggs2ac5.gif

Still...don't forget Bayern or Milan...

This is the key... Who wins that match will win the big prize. I think it will be Bayern, they are a team of winners, and German football is very strong. All of the players in Germany are honest, hard working and show unsurpassed mental toughness. If I was any other team I wouldn't want to face FC Bayern, they are world class and have been destroying teams since Otto came back in charge.

Their hardest game will be vs AC Miland, the Italians are a good team, genuine class especially with Oddo on the wing... but Danny Van Buyten's away goals should be enough. Then they will play Manchester United, this will be a walk in the park for a strong German team like Bayern. In every position Bayern are strong, even their reserve players like Goerlitz and Ottl are world class.

They have too much mental toughness for Manchester. Honestly if I was Ferguson I would watch the Bayern Milan match tonight and if Bayern win I wouldnt bother taking the Manchester team to the Allianz Arena. Bayern will be seeking revenge for the 1999 final, and they know that revenge is a dish best served eiskalt.

They have too much mental toughness for Manchester. Honestly if I was Ferguson I would watch the Bayern Milan match tonight and if Bayern win I wouldnt bother taking the Manchester team to the Allianz Arena. Bayern will be seeking revenge for the 1999 final, and they know that revenge is a dish best served eiskalt.

I think you are over-optimistic there...
Bayern have obvious weaknesses...and my compatriot Daniel Van Buyten maybe one of them...he's often makes crucial mistakes and looses quite a lot of challenges for somebody with his build...

I think you are over-optimistic there...
Bayern have obvious weaknesses...and my compatriot Daniel Van Buyten maybe one of them...he's often makes crucial mistakes and looses quite a lot of challenges for somebody with his build...

of course, he did play for man city....

Gerd, you mentioned us being a "latin" team, not sure what you mean by that mate....

I guess this year Roma were the overachievers of the competition, they really just choked last night.

I do believe there will be only one English team in the final and it is out of the Pool/Chelsea game.

I know for a fact England as a team are overated..

I know for a fact that The Prem (As much as I and the millions who watch it, love it) isnt as good "technically" as Italy and isnt as either "technically" or as competive as La Liga...

But I also know for a fact that if Liverpool win tonite, the three English teams left have a healthy contingent of English players, which can only be a good thing English football..

If Bayern win England will have another player represented in Hargreaves..

One way or another it will the third season in a row that The Prem has a team in The Champs League Final.

Not bad for possibly the 3rd best footballing country in Europe...

I guess this year Roma were the overachievers of the competition, they really just choked last night.

I do believe there will be only one English team in the final and it is out of the Pool/Chelsea game.

lol no bias there...

but I suppose you know all about being overachievers *cough* instanbul....

Crazy result 7-1! I could only watch the other game, so i didn't see anything of it yet, but Roma must have totally lost the plot to lose like that...

Chelsea played a good second half to go through, they weren't very good in thye first half, and Valencia took advantage of that with a good goal, and another ball on the post. But in the second half with Joe Cole brought on and Diarra out, they turned it up a gear and after a lucky equaliser totally dominated the game, and deserved to go through.

Crazy result 7-1! I could only watch the other game, so i didn't see anything of it yet, but Roma must have totally lost the plot to lose like that...

They didnt lose the plot they were just totally outplayed for 90 minutes

Chelsea played a good second half to go through, they weren't very good in thye first half, and Valencia took advantage of that with a good goal, and another ball on the post. But in the second half with Joe Cole brought on and Diarra out, they turned it up a gear and after a lucky equaliser totally dominated the game, and deserved to go through.

fantastic result for chelski, they had the toughest of all the 1/4 finals, great tatical switch at half time by Jose, they are gonna miss him nrxt season...

Re: UEFA Champions League 2006 - 2007 Quarter Finals : Second Leg

Man Utd where excellent, however Roma where very poor also, the first 3 goals where woeful defensive mistakes.

Although Carrick's goal looked great and he took it well, why is the goalie standing 8 or 9 yards of his line? The 2nd and 3rd goals where howlers from Chivu and the last goal was another goalkeeping howler.

For me the CL has to be re-jigged, more leagues should be entered straight into the competition and let the runners-up & co battle it out, also 4th teams in their leagues should be cut out altogether. Top team should go straight into group, 2nd team into final stage of the qualifiers and 3rd team before that.

Hopefully Platini will be as good as his word.

FD

Great result for two English teams last night, what a show from Man U and Chelsea came through a tough tie.

I expected Man U to win at home though not so easy, how good were some of the goals last night, phenomenal passing and quality finishing. Also a great goal from De Rossi from a pinpoint cross from Totti that wont be remembered due to United's excessive scoring. Last night is one of the reasons why I love the CL and love watching United play in it. This team dont seem to have a scorer with the clinical finishing of RVN but the have goals from every corner of the pitch and its great to watch. I agree that Roma were not at the races last night FD but you cant take away a thing from United's performance.

Chelsea had a game that was very evenly matched up until the second half, as soon as Valencia realised they had to play for a late goal or even penalties the game swung very much in the favour of Chelsea. Some of the saves from Cañizares were top class cat-like moments that reminded me why he was better that Casillas a few years ago, he still is a top class keeper and one of the best in the game. I remember the save in the CL a few years ago I think it was against Inter where he was almost on the ground but managed to tip the ball with a stretched arm, great save.

I would like to see a Man U v Liverpool in the final, I think that could be a great game full of passion as no manc or scouser wants to lose a game against the "other ones" add to the fact a CL trophy could be riding on it. :D

Last edited:

Vann, what i meant by "Latin" is that they are playing a football which is very technical and based and individual actions and talent...i'm very impressed with this Man Utd team...shame that Vander Sar is struggling a bit lately, otherwise i consider him one of the best GK's in the world.
What happened with Man Utd GK's after Schmeichel???? I thought that with Vander Sar they finally had an excellent one (i'm a fan). I something wrong with the GK coach Vann????

Three finals running with an English club featuring - how can anyone argue about the quality of the Premiership now?

I constantly hear "but the Spanish/Italian leagues are more technical." Bollocks. Most of the top Serie A/La Liga players wouldn't be able to hack it in the Prem - it's too fast, too physical and the mindset is to attack.

The England team are SHIT but we finally have the best league in the world. Finally! :)

So does anybody know who plays at home for the semi legs? BBC sport (not the best place for correct info) have liverpool at home first and away for the second (same as manu) yet on the uefa site it says liverpool will be away and then home. Although it does say that within a "news" part and not the fixtures page (which isnt availeble). However i did look into this before the qf ties with the fixtures being stated as winner match a plays, bla bla. And according to that it would be stanford bridge then anfield. Which im hoping for as that would be better for the tactics. Same as manu, which now says home first and away second which would make it really tough being away at the san siro.

Back
Top Bottom