The Retro FIFA Discussion Thread (All FIFA games by EA are welcome!)

Fifa 19 is a no go, because there s no use for speedy wingers, there s no individuality....fifa 18 has the individuality there, messi feels like.messi, and bale feels like bale on the wing, unfortunately fifa 19 they dialed the individuality down
Not sure if thats true after patches, i have two pacey wingers and they can create a lot out on their wings.
18 is probably a better game, im more interested in a full La liga package etc, therefore 19.
Think 18 was the last good looking game too

Fifa 19 is a no go, because there s no use for speedy wingers, there s no individuality....fifa 18 has the individuality there, messi feels like.messi, and bale feels like bale on the wing, unfortunately fifa 19 they dialed the individuality down
To be honest I’m fine using wingers in FIFA 19 (to the point that playing wide is my go-to tactic usually).

As @rockstrongo said, this might have changed after one of the title updates.
Playing with lesser teams (I had half a season with Macclesfield, some matches with PEC Zwolle and some other random ones but hardly with any team rated above three stars) may help with this maybe as also average (or below average) defenders are not impossible to get past.
The fact that I’m still playing at ‘Professional’ level may also help here…

To be honest I’m fine using wingers in FIFA 19 (to the point that playing wide is my go-to tactic usually).

As @rockstrongo said, this might have changed after one of the title updates.
Playing with lesser teams (I had half a season with Macclesfield, some matches with PEC Zwolle and some other random ones but hardly with any team rated above three stars) may help with this maybe as also average (or below average) defenders are not impossible to get past.
The fact that I’m still playing at ‘Professional’ level may also help here…
For me getting some space on the wing i usually use the right stick flick then speed button.
I also play lower rated teams, Liga 1/2/3 with Deportivo.
Even if wingers are caught up, it's pretty ok to me, running down the wing easily has been plaguing FIFA in almost every game, way to easy.
Not here though.
My main concern is that the CPU is a bit too tiki taka
Btw do you play fuma?

Last edited:
My main concern is that the CPU is a bit too tiki taka
Btw do you play fuma?
The tiki-taka attitude shown by the AI in the demo is 100% what made me skip the game completely, when it got released.

I bought it for PC after getting FIFA 20, go figure, so I only had the chance to play it fully patched... It's only since last autumn when I got it for Xbox One that I'm playing it "vanilla".
There's also the vanilla PC version (if not totally "vanilla" as "straight off the disc", as it already includes the "Patch" folder so it might already have some kind of patch applied, still the very first PC release I guess) available if someone wants to play it on PC (courtesy of @Tibokan).

And yes, I'm playing with full manual controls, these OS sliders, 8-minute halves, professional or world class difficulty (to be fair, professional is starting to become a little too easy at times but on the other hand world class is still reserving me some good beatings).

The tiki-taka attitude shown by the AI in the demo is 100% what made me skip the game completely, when it got released.

I bought it for PC after getting FIFA 20, go figure, so I only had the chance to play it fully patched... It's only since last autumn when I got it for Xbox One that I'm playing it "vanilla".
There's also the vanilla PC version (if not totally "vanilla" as "straight off the disc", as it already includes the "Patch" folder so it might already have some kind of patch applied, still the very first PC release I guess) available if someone wants to play it on PC (courtesy of @Tibokan).

And yes, I'm playing with full manual controls, these OS sliders, 8-minute halves, professional or world class difficulty (to be fair, professional is starting to become a little too easy at times but on the other hand world class is still reserving me some good beatings).
Nice to hear that you're sticking to your (fuma) guns.
WC for me, semi on pass/shooting manual for the rest.
I had a pretty easy first game, then had a 1-1 comeback draw, so WC provides plenty of challenge
OS sliders here as well, slower pass tempo though 35/30
Hope my enjoyment lasts with this

Not sure if thats true after patches, i have two pacey wingers and they can create a lot out on their wings.
18 is probably a better game, im more interested in a full La liga package etc, therefore 19.
Think 18 was the last good looking game too

Yeah, 18 was the last good looking fifa games. The lighting was alright. If FIFA 18 was chicken curry, then 19 onwards were chicken curry but washed with water. It's still curry and you can taste the chicken but a lot of flavour is washed nicely by the water.

You guys already know why im playing fifa 18 and 19, just for the only reason that the chance creation variety is much much better than pes, the goal scoring variety is always there, in the other game, there s only a few situations where the balls hit the back of the net, in fifa every shot placement is different on target, way more variety

I picked up FIFA 14 for £2.50 on PS4.

Never played it before. I'm addicted.

It's brilliant. I've adjusted a few sliders but this is the most fun I've had out a footy game in a long time.

in fifa, u notice after many years of playing the other game, u notice that fifa rewards you your effort much much more, for example: playing with rayo vallecano in la liga, which is a 3.5 star team, u notice that if u setup the formation well, and u play well, u can win any match , dependin g on the opponent, in PES, if u control a match many times u can t score to secure the win, because of small variety of probabilities to score provided, only a handful scenarios where u can score.... this is the main issue with PES, it just don t let u control many matches u need to win in order to win the league or whatever u are chasing.

anyone recalls which was the first fifa pc game with out of the box support for 1920x1080 16:9 resolution?

was it fifa 2010?

what do u think guys? assisted legendary and OS sliders final set, do i need to go full manual??? i think im controlling games a lot with 3.5 star teams....

what do u think guys? assisted legendary and OS sliders final set, do i need to go full manual??? i think im controlling games a lot with 3.5 star teams....
Test manual through balls to begin with, I can usually play semi or assisted on most FIFA's but the manual through ball makes it a lot more difficult
Which game is btw?
The challenge of FIFA games after 15 went down a bit (for me) in difficulty for sure

Test manual through balls to begin with, I can usually play semi or assisted on most FIFA's but the manual through ball makes it a lot more difficult
Which game is btw?
The challenge of FIFA games after 15 went down a bit (for me) in difficulty for sure
this is the first game of the season lol, but vs sevilla, anw game got harder as opponents played and defended better, second game draw, and i lost 1-0 at home to athletic bilbao, can someone tell me what s the difference btw fifa 16 and 19? is 16 better?

this is the first game of the season lol, but vs sevilla, anw game got harder as opponents played and defended better, second game draw, and i lost 1-0 at home to athletic bilbao, can someone tell me what s the difference btw fifa 16 and 19? is 16 better?
Most people have 16 over 19, out of the box on console (with updates) I'm not a big fan of 16, but mods etc on pc is a different thing.
Vanilla 1.00 is a very good game though.

Playing PES 18, which I like (at times) then FIFA 19 which I find ok, sometimes good.
But reinstalled a bunch of FIFA games on my Xbox and FIFA 18 being one of them.
Picked up my Borussia Mönchengladbach career, Jesus how good that game plays.
Blows 19 out of the water 8 days a week

Playing PES 18, which I like (at times) then FIFA 19 which I find ok, sometimes good.
But reinstalled a bunch of FIFA games on my Xbox and FIFA 18 being one of them.
Picked up my Borussia Mönchengladbach career, Jesus how good that game plays.
Blows 19 out of the water 8 days a week
nahh 18 has too much skating and way too fast gameplay even on slow vs 19, 19 has more realistic pace and animations aswell. 18 feels like they are on dope with not smooth player animations.

nahh 18 has too much skating and way too fast gameplay even on slow vs 19, 19 has more realistic pace and animations aswell. 18 feels like they are on dope with not smooth player animations.
Weirdly, I went back to 19 last night after reminiscing (watching my old YouTube videos - I enjoyed it for a long time), but it felt faster than 18 to me, even on slow with lowered speed/pass speed sliders!

The ball especially seemed to move like a marble across a glass pitch. How odd!

Weirdly, I went back to 19 last night after reminiscing (watching my old YouTube videos - I enjoyed it for a long time), but it felt faster than 18 to me, even on slow with lowered speed/pass speed sliders!

The ball especially seemed to move like a marble across a glass pitch. How odd!
I remember we liked 19 a lot back then Chris, i also have tons of YT of it, and played it for 3-4 seasons.
But playing it now just feels off, ball physics like nu said is weird.

And playing 18 and 19 simultaneously makes me disliking 19 Vs 18 a lot, not a bad game but (for me) 18 is a underated game for sure, looks pretty damn good to

There's something about FIFA 18 (that I can't really tell, though) that makes me prefer 19.
It's also true that we had some fun with FIFA 18 back in the day though... I should still have a couple of our goals lingering around, most likely in the "unsorted video footage from old games" dumpster.

There's something about FIFA 18 (that I can't really tell, though) that makes me prefer 19.
It's also true that we had some fun with FIFA 18 back in the day though... I should still have a couple of our goals lingering around, most likely in the "unsorted video footage from old games" dumpster.
Ha ha, yeah we did.
Got tons of old stuff on my YT and Xbox.
Maybe I'll appreciate 19 a bit more after playing 18 for a while, but right now I really enjoy 18 a lot with good sliders and a BL career

I decided that I would install a PC copy of FIFA 18 from the link provided in the "retro installers" thread (thanks to everyone involved).
I know that it should be no different from how it is on Xbox One, but this is vanilla (I didn't even install TU 2 for now) while the Xbox One is fully updated (and I'm curious to see if I spot any difference between the two).

I haven't managed to play it yet (just started it and created tue profile) but I'm willing to give it a go in the weekend and see how it behaves.
Meanwhile, I am still surprised by how easy it was to install it and launch it for the first time (just to make sure it worked).
Easier than getting it to run via the EA App, probably.

Last edited:
I decided that I would install a PC copy of FIFA 18 from the link provided in the "retro installers" thread (thanks to everyone involved).
I know that it should be no different from how it is on Xbox One, but this is vanilla (I didn't even install TU 2 for now) while the Xbox One is fully updated (and I'm curious to see if I spot any difference between the two).

I haven't managed to play it yet (just started it and created tue profile) but I'm willing to give it a go in the weekend and see how it behaves.
Meanwhile, I am still surprised by how easy it was to install it and launch it for the first time (just to make sure it worked).
Easier than getting it to run via the EA App, probably.
Those installer links have been really good.
Ive gone with 15-17-19, all worked perfectly.
And since they're no longer available, plus I own Xbox copies of all don't feel bad about DL them either.

Hope you enjoy it, I'm on my Xbox version for 18 and really enjoying it.

I play fifa 16 ,console version at 1.00 patch and with some sliders setup, and in my opinion is the best FIFA ever and by far.
It has the best physicalty, the best first touch (where you can see bad player miss a ball control),the best midfield positioning and a good player's individuality. I love the shooting and the build up, cause the ball is totally free.. there Is so much variety.
In my opinion it Is more challenging than the frostbite ones and totally less End to end on the pitch.
Sliders can impact a lot in this game, and It Need to be tweaked to find your sweet spot,but after that Is amazing.

And since they're no longer available, plus I own Xbox copies of all don't feel bad about DL them either.
I see your point and feel the same.
After all, if we consider Xbox One and PC, from FIFA 15 to FIFA 22 we got exactly the same version of the game on both platforms.

Heck, not only I have every game from FIFA 09 onwards, but I even have multiple versions of some (I bought them for PC first, then re-bought them for Xbox One in order to enjoy them unpatched) so they should definitely forgive me if I use FIFA 18 on my PC (even if it's a game I only had on Xbox One back in the day) instead of using it on Xbox One considering that it's the same game.
Hardly our fault if they're not selling it anymore, on top of that... Isn't it?

On top of that, my Xbox One doesn't look like it's going to keep reading discs for long (sometimes I have to reload the disc a couple of times already before it gets recognized) so I have to cover my a** somehow (and FIFA 18 was the only FIFA game I only had for Xbox One, well until a couple of days ago).

This being said, I played a couple of matches yesterday and must admit that it does have potential. There's still that something that makes me prefer FIFA 19 (even if I must say that FIFA 18's graphics are a little cleaner maybe) but it's something I can't put my finger on at the moment.
I'm using the vanilla version of FIFA 18 (I didn't install TU 2 for now) with 6 minute halves, slow speed, World Class AI and manual controls.
Currently testing version 1 of the OS sliders (which can be found here), I'm just trying to tamper a little with them in order to make them more suitable for shorter halves.

Last edited:
I see your point and feel the same.
After all, if we consider Xbox One and PC, from FIFA 15 to FIFA 22 we got exactly the same version of the game on both platforms.

Heck, not only I have every game from FIFA 09 onwards, but I even have multiple versions of some (I bought them for PC first, then re-bought them for Xbox One in order to enjoy them unpatched) so they should definitely forgive me if I use FIFA 18 on my PC (even if it's a game I only had on Xbox One back in the day) instead of using it on Xbox One considering that it's the same game.
Hardly our fault if they're not selling it anymore, on top of that... Isn't it?

On top of that, my Xbox One doesn't look like it's going to keep reading discs for long (sometimes I have to reload the disc a couple of times already before it gets recognized) so I have to cover my a** somehow (and FIFA 18 was the only FIFA game I only had for Xbox One, well until a couple of days ago).

This being said, I played a couple of matches yesterday and must admit that it does have potential. There's still that something that makes me prefer FIFA 19 (even if I must say that FIFA 18's graphics are a little cleaner maybe) but it's something I can't put my finger on at the moment.
I'm using the vanilla version of FIFA 18 (I didn't install TU 2 for now) with 6 minute halves, slow speed, World Class AI and manual controls.
Currently testing version 1 of the OS sliders (which can be found here), I'm just trying to tamper a little with them in order to make them more suitable for shorter halves.
I'm using a set of OS sliders that has a speed discrepancy,think it's 41/43 speed.
Works well for me
Good luck regardless of which game you play buddy

Thanks pal!
Now it's not that I don't have football games to choose from...
On different platforms, I can choose between all FIFA games from 09 to FC 24 (plus spare ones like '99, 2003, 2005, RTWC 98) and all PES games from PES 3 onwards...
I could aswell play PES 1 and 2 on PCSX2 should I decide to, for example, or some old PSX game like ESPN's MLS game which is still a Konami game after all...

As @millossobek said, being a gamer in this age is like being a kid in a candy shop: you have the chance to choose any candy you'd like.
But still, as I told him, there's not a single flavour of which I can say "well, this is absolutely perfect".
Each flavour has something special about it that other flavours don't have, but also lacks something that other flavours have.

Ive tried, and will probably continue to only play one game.
I even uninstalled FIFA 15-17 and probably 19 as well and stick to my 18.
Switching between pes and fifa games isn't an issue, but having FIFA 14-15-16-17-18-19-20 installed makes me play less.

At the same time I have 2k14-15-16-17-18-20 installed as well...

And yes, I think the problem is that no game is the one that ticks all boxes unfortunately.

Love 15-17s gameplay but they lack in stadiums etc, if FIFA 15 had let's say FIFA 20s content I'd play no other football game.

Back
Top Bottom