The Retro FIFA Discussion Thread (All FIFA games by EA are welcome!)

Not gonna lie and say I played them all, but I can totally recommend FIFA12 for the PS2. Career Mode is fantastic, if I remember correctly you could use your money to have better facilities/stadium, there is more interaction with players and club related stuff than what we would get in the PS4 FIFA games
the only bad thing is the animations in this game.... the newer ones i can tolerate the animations

Mates I may be open to a little bit of advice here.

I'm willing to start another career since the Macclesfield one I started with FIFA 19 suddenly went balls up halfway through the first season, and I was thinking about trying MLS again (I had a couple of seasons with the Sounders in a career back in the day, which I enjoyed).
I'd also love to have a proper broadcasting package so it means FIFA 18+ for this career.

The question is:

I actually do like FIFA 19, and it would probably be my #1 choice should I decide now.

I still remember having some great times with FIFA 18 online though (I've had some very good matches against @rockstrongo back in the days and I played ProClubs for the entire season that year, which is an achievement for me), so the question is...
Is there any good reason to pick FIFA 18 over vanilla FIFA 19 for a career?
And if so... Vanilla or fully patched?
Being on Xbox One I can't really get anything in between, and my game is now fully patched... I could easily uninstall the game and re-install it from the disc offline to make sure the latest uopdate doesn't get installed, though, if it's necessary.

Also, it seems to me that MLS gets updated with new kits and graphics halfway through a game's lifecycle now, to reflect the "change" in season...
Was it already a thing in 19 or in 18 or did it start happening only in more recent years?

Thanks!

Mates I may be open to a little bit of advice here.

I'm willing to start another career since the Macclesfield one I started with FIFA 19 suddenly went balls up halfway through the first season, and I was thinking about trying MLS again (I had a couple of seasons with the Sounders in a career back in the day, which I enjoyed).
I'd also love to have a proper broadcasting package so it means FIFA 18+ for this career.

The question is:

I actually do like FIFA 19, and it would probably be my #1 choice should I decide now.

I still remember having some great times with FIFA 18 online though (I've had some very good matches against @rockstrongo back in the days and I played ProClubs for the entire season that year, which is an achievement for me), so the question is...
Is there any good reason to pick FIFA 18 over vanilla FIFA 19 for a career?
And if so... Vanilla or fully patched?
Being on Xbox One I can't really get anything in between, and my game is now fully patched... I could easily uninstall the game and re-install it from the disc offline to make sure the latest uopdate doesn't get installed, though, if it's necessary.

Also, it seems to me that MLS gets updated with new kits and graphics halfway through a game's lifecycle now, to reflect the "change" in season...
Was it already a thing in 19 or in 18 or did it start happening only in more recent years?

Thanks!
We did have some great games buddy.
I haven't played 18 in a long time, but I really liked it when I did, 19 is a solid game as you know, but I feel 18 plays a bit slower, not as direct as 19 (CPU going fw way to fast)

Think your only option is give 18 a go first (vanilla) and find out.
Can't answer it any better than that buddy.
Hopefully others can do a better job:)

Thank you man!
Going to uninstall FIFA 18 and to reinstall it "unpatched" to see how it plays, of course still open to other suggestions in the meantime. :)

FIFA 15 never really clicked with me, probably because I was still playing FUT in that period and it was the "sweaty goals paradise".
Aaaand... To be fair I always found the AI behaviour more varied in 14 than it was in 15 (but maybe it's just me, I haven't really played FIFA 15 deeply: I only have a single season in career with Levante under my belt, which was part of a bigger project covering all FIFAs from 11 to 17).

17 could have been a viable choice as I kinda remember it being enjoyable but as far as I remember it does not have the MLS TV package (and it would be a good "plus" for me honestly).
Plus, once you see the futsal-sized ball you really can't unsee it.

I'm giving FIFA 18 a try in these days, to see if it matches FIFA 19. Otherwise, should I ever decide to start a new career in MLS, it'd be with FIFA 19 (as I'm sure that it's a game that I like).

FIFA 15 never really clicked with me, probably because I was still playing FUT in that period and it was the "sweaty goals paradise".
Aaaand... To be fair I always found the AI behaviour more varied in 14 than it was in 15 (but maybe it's just me, I haven't really played FIFA 15 deeply: I only have a single season in career with Levante under my belt, which was part of a bigger project covering all FIFAs from 11 to 17).

17 could have been a viable choice as I kinda remember it being enjoyable but as far as I remember it does not have the MLS TV package (and it would be a good "plus" for me honestly).
Plus, once you see the futsal-sized ball you really can't unsee it.

I'm giving FIFA 18 a try in these days, to see if it matches FIFA 19. Otherwise, should I ever decide to start a new career in MLS, it'd be with FIFA 19 (as I'm sure that it's a game that I like).
For me neing more PES but liking Fifa 14-19 The fake Serie A and really no serie A package at all is a bummer.
The small ball isnt that much of a killer for me on broadcast cam, not a gamebreaker (and its on 18 as well)
think ill go back to 15 again, had a cpu crash a while back, so its restarting mode for me, or give a 18 a go again maybe
Good luck buddy

I think FIFA 15 is a very fun game! I am playing a Career with Deportivo La Coruña in the Spanish League and having a blast!
I find Professional a bit too easy and World Class a bit too hard in Career mode, so I pretty much play one of these two difficulties, but with slider changes. For example, if I'm playing WC, I lower marking to 49 to both teams, and also lower pass speed etc, increasing pass error and shot error for the CPU, and the other way around if I'm playing professional. I also play with 12 minute halves, to make scores and stamina more realistic.

I like all FIFAS from 14-19 actually! (Actually also the previous ones, but mentioning these for the same of discussion). I think they all have their good qualities.
- I like FIFA 14, but the marking is a bit too intense for me in World Class. I lower man marking to around 30-40 for both sides and I have more space to breathe, more space to dribble, while still retaining a big challenge. 14 and 15 are quite challenging, so sliders are my friend lol. It also has TONS of nice patches and mods on PC.
- FIFA 15 as I mentioned above, is an intense game, and in vanilla a bit too fast. But tweaking the sliders are very responsive and I make it a bit slower, also makes it more balanced.
- FIFA 16 is also very well supported, I play it with FIP patch and it adds a great deal of leagues! Also rightly considered a classic now, the gameplay is very nicely balanced and enjoyable, especially with Anth's mods! (Not sure if you guys play it on PC, but highly recommended).
- FIFA 17 and 18 seem very similar to me for some reason.. Maybe I need to play them more. But I find them a big improvement in presentation, contextual dribbling, and tons of animation new features.
- FIFA 19, I always have a "next game feeling" with it, which is a great thing! I've mainly played My Player Career in it, but I find that it has a really nice variety of goals and situations.

In my view, you can't go wrong with any of these! They are all enjoyable! :TU:

Last edited:
I went back to 17, still think its a very good looking and great game.
Is there any patch to make the European Champions Cup (or what's it's name) to change in to Champions League with graphics for it, and Calcio A-B to Serie A-B
Looking at you @millossobek

Last edited:
@rockstrongo Hey man!
For some reason, FIFA 17 wasn't modded too much it seems, at least in terms of patches. However, I've been able to find the following:
Working Links:
Ims Patch (2019-20 Season)
Fifa Infinity Patch 3.0 (2017-18 Season)

I can't confirm whether these patches have the Champions League and Serie A/B names corrected, but you can give them a try.
The good thing is that installing mods in FIFA 17 is quite easy with Frosty Mod Manager, so you can easily switch between them.
Let me know how it goes, since I haven't tested them yet. :TU:

@rockstrongo Hey man!
For some reason, FIFA 17 wasn't modded too much it seems, at least in terms of patches. However, I've been able to find the following:
Working Links:
Ims Patch (2019-20 Season)
Fifa Infinity Patch 3.0 (2017-18 Season)

I can't confirm whether these patches have the Champions League and Serie A/B names corrected, but you can give them a try.
The good thing is that installing mods in FIFA 17 is quite easy with Frosty Mod Manager, so you can easily switch between them.
Let me know how it goes, since I haven't tested them yet. :TU:
Cheers buddy, youre always a go to guy, will try them later on.
Thanx again

So back for a swing with FIFA 17, still a good game, though the janky movement and the feeling of forcing your players in position is going to take a while to get used too again.

hmm, gotta say that i cant really enjoy 17 after going back to 15 for a game.
OS sliders with lower speed/acc and slower pass speed 40/30
still prefer this game in front of most other fifa games

Downloaded a few PSP Fifa's and some save files, but when I enter the game and 'load profile', it tells me there's no data. How do I save the file so the game can read it? (I put it where the other files are and other games seem to work fine with them.)

Also, it's on PPSSPP on Android

I have all fifas from 10 to 19, exception for 15 that i didn't buy at time.. People used to say It was more fast and end to end in comparision to 14 so i skipped It.
Considering that fifa 16 is my favorite fifa game and my favorite football game, with Pes5, should i buy and try 15? What 15 does better than 16?
I must add that i am a console player.

@simogto90 I really like FIFA 15, I feel like even though, yes, it is quite end to end compared to 14 (and especially 16), it is one of the FIFAs which are more susceptible to sliders (which is a good thing). I've never played the console version, but I think that with the right sliders to suit your gameplay needs, FIFA 15 is actually a very enjoyable game. I am playing them with a personally tweaked version of Operation Sports slider set and loving my campaigns. :TU:

@simogto90 I really like FIFA 15, I feel like even though, yes, it is quite end to end compared to 14 (and especially 16), it is one of the FIFAs which are more susceptible to sliders (which is a good thing). I've never played the console version, but I think that with the right sliders to suit your gameplay needs, FIFA 15 is actually a very enjoyable game. I am playing them with a personally tweaked version of Operation Sports slider set and loving my campaigns. :TU:
Thanks. I will give It a try! Just found It for 3 euros on cex 😁

Has anyone played a complete career with FIFA manager and FIFA XY "fusion"?

IIRC i owned FIFA manager 06 and FIFA 06 for PC , but i was always giving up in the complete mess of "now insert disk 1,2,3,4,5..etc in the DVD-ROM"

does anyone know how to fix directx8 issue with fifa 2004 on modern systems? the game won't start because of directx8.

Has anyone played a complete career with FIFA manager and FIFA XY "fusion"?

IIRC i owned FIFA manager 06 and FIFA 06 for PC , but i was always giving up in the complete mess of "now insert disk 1,2,3,4,5..etc in the DVD-ROM"
Great question.

I've said it many times over the years, but my true gaming dream was Championship Manager combined with PES5. I can't imagine a better game. (In-fact, Sports Interactive entered into an agreement with Konami to share data, but swiftly and silently abandoned it.)

So the "Football Fusion" concept was a dream for me, and I would have got years of mileage out of it - had it not been for how unbearably fiddly the setup was, and how the gameplay at the time was nightmarish (I just remember FIFA defences on the above-normal difficulties at that time being like trying to drill through a brick wall with a banana, with attributes completely ignored and Barnsley's defensive line being impossible to penetrate).

Thanks to a conversation with another member here, I recently downloaded a 23/24 mod for FIFA Manager 14 - I never gave it a chance at release, but you know what... It's great. Some features (like assigning "importance tokens" to team talks, so you can really press players when you need to) I actually prefer to Football Manager's ideas.

Unfortunately, the 3D match engine is awful (players often walk into the back of their own net with the ball).

But if that game could have been "plugged in" to FIFA 14 (one of the best ever FIFAs IMO) using "Football Fusion"...

...a man can dream.

God bless whoever came up with the idea at EA.

But if that game could have been "plugged in" to FIFA 14 (one of the best ever FIFAs IMO) using "Football Fusion"...

...a man can dream.

I don't know if it's still being developed or not, but Rinaldo released a "managerial frontend" for FIFA 16.
Even if it's not really the same thing, maybe it has the features you're looking for (or at least some of them).

Basically you use Rinaldo's software to manage your team and then use FIFA 16's match engine to actually play the matches:
https://sites.google.com/view/thefootballmaster/home-page
http://www.soccergaming.com/index.php?threads/the-football-master-rinaldo-is-back.6471109/

Last edited:
Great question.

I've said it many times over the years, but my true gaming dream was Championship Manager combined with PES5. I can't imagine a better game. (In-fact, Sports Interactive entered into an agreement with Konami to share data, but swiftly and silently abandoned it.)

So the "Football Fusion" concept was a dream for me, and I would have got years of mileage out of it - had it not been for how unbearably fiddly the setup was, and how the gameplay at the time was nightmarish (I just remember FIFA defences on the above-normal difficulties at that time being like trying to drill through a brick wall with a banana, with attributes completely ignored and Barnsley's defensive line being impossible to penetrate).

Thanks to a conversation with another member here, I recently downloaded a 23/24 mod for FIFA Manager 14 - I never gave it a chance at release, but you know what... It's great. Some features (like assigning "importance tokens" to team talks, so you can really press players when you need to) I actually prefer to Football Manager's ideas.

Unfortunately, the 3D match engine is awful (players often walk into the back of their own net with the ball).

...a man can dream.

Agreed, love FIFA 14 and especially CM 00/01 and CM 01/02. Was extremely addicted to those CMs, literally glued to them and literally did nothing but eat for 10 mins and play CM.

What about playing PES5 ML, but on player select screen moving your controller to the middle, or manager mode or whatever it is. Then, just watching the games, edited tactics and buying/selling players, that an option? Would think that could work well. Or even same on FIFA 14 career mode? Never tried, or heard anyone who has, but in theory I think it could work and be kind of fun.

does anyone know how to fix directx8 issue with fifa 2004 on modern systems? the game won't start because of directx8.
DgVoodoo 2 can translate dx8 calls to dx11 or 12. Try it an see if that works. This game is a stuttery mess on my pc, maybe faster cpus dont play well with this game.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom