The Retro FIFA Discussion Thread (All FIFA games by EA are welcome!)

What would you guys say are the main differences between FIFA 17 and 18? I've only played exhibitions so far and even though I've enjoyed them, I would like to hear your take in terms of the differences, since they seem to play a bit similar from what I've experienced..

What would you guys say are the main differences between FIFA 17 and 18? I've only played exhibitions so far and even though I've enjoyed them, I would like to hear your take in terms of the differences, since they seem to play a bit similar from what I've experienced..
I tried both a few months ago. I (personally) felt that 17 was harder mainly because I felt quite a big diference in input lag. FIFA18 is one of the few football games where I feel that the players do what I actually want to do.

Personally I think 18 is where the wheels start to come off. There's almost too much slipping and sliding for my liking, and it's awfully fast. I'd consider 17 to be the last excellent FIFA. Buuuut don't take my word - you've got them both now and you could totally disagree!

Last edited:
Guys, wanted to get the ball rolling on this topic.

What do you think of managing a National Team while playing Manager Career Mode? I'm a bit torn on this one: Never tried it myself, but I can see positives and negatives, in terms of fun and immersion.

The pros are mainly the fun factor: I think it'd be pretty cool to try it, balance two realities, two campaigns and two different experiences and expectations. Managing a club is completely different from managing a National Team, and it would be fun to try to juggle the two (it would be quite new to remain emotionally committed to two separate campaigns). It would definitely be an interesting challenge, trying to separate club and NT emotionally and in your head (you might be having a bad season in your club but exceeding expectations in the NT, or vice versa..) Could be a cool ride.

The cons (at least to me) is the possible immersion factor: I'm mainly a club fan. I think the daily in and outs, the weekly games, player progression and the transfer market are very fulfilling. Managing both club and and a NT simultaneously doesn't strike me as particularly realistic (even though it's happened before, for example, Guus Hiddink managed Chelsea and Russia in the mid 2000's, and some others).. But the ease and frequency of how it happens in FIFA seems a bit off-putting, which affects immersion and might divide the emotional factor in two..

What are your thoughts?

PS: I double posted this in the PES subforum for Master League.

What do you think of managing a National Team while playing Manager Career Mode? I'm a bit torn on this one: Never tried it myself, but I can see positives and negatives, in terms of fun and immersion.

The pros are mainly the fun factor: I think it'd be pretty cool to try it, balance two realities, two campaigns and two different experiences and expectations. Managing a club is completely different from managing a National Team, and it would be fun to try to juggle the two (it would be quite new to remain emotionally committed to two separate campaigns). It would definitely be an interesting challenge, trying to separate club and NT emotionally and in your head (you might be having a bad season in your club but exceeding expectations in the NT, or vice versa..) Could be a cool ride.

The cons (at least to me) is the possible immersion factor: I'm mainly a club fan. I think the daily in and outs, the weekly games, player progression and the transfer market are very fulfilling. Managing both club and and a NT simultaneously doesn't strike me as particularly realistic (even though it's happened before, for example, Guus Hiddink managed Chelsea and Russia in the mid 2000's, and some others).. But the ease and frequency of how it happens in FIFA seems a bit off-putting, which affects immersion and might divide the emotional factor in two..

What are your thoughts?

Go for it. National team football is different and exciting. Having to make your team out of the country talents is a a fun thing and international competitions can be challenging.
It also breaks the routine of being playing always with the same team.

I am only playing FIFA16 lately, using the RFS tool and I am now selecting a pair of games every week to play in others leagues. I find it quite fun to be playing with those CPU evolving teams (through the transfer market). It forces me playing with different tactics and helps avoiding my way of playing to be too robotic/automatic with my main team.

20240223_211358.jpg

UEFA Champions League 06-07 [xbox 360 screenshot]

Game was not released on Playstation 3 but has ad for PS3 1708861349834.png

Fantastic article about the development of the first ever FIFA game, in the wake of EA going it alone for EAFC and beyond. Such a pleasure to read.

TimeExtension.com - The Making of FIFA International Soccer, The Game That Launched a Billion-Dollar Series

Takes me back to the 90s when I was bussing it to-and-from my local internet café with boxes of floppy disks, working with coders like Chau Le on database editors, artists like Kristian Borten, uploading patches for FIFA 99... It felt like magic back then (and still does to me).

What really stands out to me is:

Bruce McMillan: "[Librarian at EA] Linda grabbed all the footage she could get from around the world to try and grab what football is. So rather than watching TV at night while we were eating dinner, we’d watch footage [of football] like, ‘Why did he do this?’ ‘Why did he do that? ‘Why is the defender suddenly kicking the ball out on the side?’ It's positioning, right? You kick it out and you reposition the whole team."

I just don't believe recreating football is part of the process any more, and it's much more focused on competing with rival games in totally different genres for screen time...

...i.e. how to keep people playing EAFC vs Fortnite vs Call of Duty, by making it quick-draw, responsive, exciting, addictive and 1v1-themed (despite the fact that football is a team game and hinges on that).

I still play FIFA 07 on my high end gaming PC on Windows 11, in 4K. Since 2019 I learned how to create patches/mods for this beautiful game, my favorite football game of all time. I'll not share any links in here (because maybe we're not allowed to) but if you're interested in some amazing and free patches for FIFA 07, for PC, you may wanna search my channel up on youtube. My youtube channel is named FIFA07Pro, just like my username here.

FIFA 07 was really good. I spent hundreds of hours on that game. Also the color grading of that game was unique [both old gen and next gen versions], they went for a more filmic tone, which while not realistic, really looked different from other football games.
Good old days
1709126557439.png

Personally I think 18 is where the wheels start to come off. There's almost too much slipping and sliding for my liking, and it's awfully fast. I'd consider 17 to be the last excellent FIFA. Buuuut don't take my word - you've got them both now and you could totally disagree!
Isn t fifa 18 great with OS sliders final set?? Isnt it better than 17 and 19?

Isn t fifa 18 great with OS sliders final set?? Isnt it better than 17 and 19?

I'm a weirdo who refuses to use sliders. I didn't need them for 25 years and to me if a football game needs to be tinkered with to be enjoyable it means it's no good! So I can only speak for the default gameplay, which puts 17 comfortably ahead of 18 and miiiiles ahead of 19.

I've never tried it either... And I don't think I will, honestly.
I mean, it's unusual to say the least that a top club manager also manages a national team at the same time (and usually national teams are managed by top managers). Look at Spalletti for example: he left Napoli for the Italian NT and I've always seen managers do the same (look at Sacchi for example) so that's what I'm sticking to in career.

If there were the chance to resign from a club and only manage a national team, I'd sooner or later go for it out of curiosity (but I never tried so I don't know whether that is a chance or not).

What are your thoughts?

I took the Scotland job once in a CM. It was really just a pretty boring aside to the club team. I played a major tournament then quit.

Im very tempted to have a go at FIFA 20, i know its the first 1v1 game, but i had 10-12 seasons on it before and really enjoyed it then.
plus its the first fifa game with proper presentation/stadiums for BL

Im very tempted to have a go at FIFA 20, i know its the first 1v1 game, but i had 10-12 seasons on it before and really enjoyed it then.
Fifa 18 is best Frostbite game i guess, fifa 19 was balanced but there s no use for fast players in it, doesn t make sense vini jr being caught by maguire after vini runs into space on the.left, for me this is what.makes fifa 19 bad

Fifa 18 is best Frostbite game i guess, fifa 19 was balanced but there s no use for fast players in it, doesn t make sense vini jr being caught by maguire after vini runs into space on the.left, for me this is what.makes fifa 19 bad
Fifa 19 was a fun game when it was released, patches made it pretty bad, at least to me.
Did not like the 1v1 on FIFA 20 but it sure got harder and demanded a bit more fokus when defending, so I liked that aspect of the game.

Fifa 18 is a good game, still prefer 17 over it though

What's BL. bro?

That's great to hear that you had several enjoyable seasons with FIFA 20. I purchased a key for the game, but I haven't delved into it too deeply, and so it's an encouraging sign that you've found it enjoyable. I'll probably run a campaign in it sooner or later. :)

What's BL. bro?

That's great to hear that you had several enjoyable seasons with FIFA 20. I purchased a key for the game, but I haven't delved into it too deeply, and so it's an encouraging sign that you've found it enjoyable. I'll probably run a campaign in it sooner or later. :)
Bundesliga.
Yeah after having played FIFA 15 (still tough though) 16-17-18-19 back when, i started to dominate, not because im very good but the cpu didnt give much fight back tbh, i can bump up difficulty but that usually gets the gameplay more cheaty or non organic.
But i really had to play my games well in order to win since the introduction of 1v1.
One slip up in defense, no matter how much i had control over the game, could lead to a goal.
So i really enjoyed it despite the 1v1 and i could do it on WC.
Probably my most played FIFA.
NO clue if i feel the same now, but ill find that out

FIFA 15 is definitely a challenge! And a very fun one at that. :TU:

Guys, wanted to ask. Which Vanilla FIFA has the most leagues included in the game? I think that FIFA 14 ps2 version had the most amount of South American Leagues, but I don't know which FIFA has the highest number of leagues overall.

So FIFA 19 it was.
Really wasn't my idea from the beginning but decided to give it a go.
Had a lot of fun back when it came out, had 3-4 seasons with Genoa but patches made it quite ugly.

Though I felt it played really good, responsive, good dribbling, shooting a bit OP tbh, screamers everywhere.
OS sports sliders, using broadcast cam but still feel I need to slow down passing much more, 45/45 pass speed is very fast and looks driven
At 40/35 now but think I can go 35/30 easily.

Started with Deportivo La Coruna in the Liga 1/2/3
And lets see if it'll hold up

So FIFA 19 it was.
Really wasn't my idea from the beginning but decided to give it a go.
Had a lot of fun back when it came out, had 3-4 seasons with Genoa but patches made it quite ugly.
I've reinstalled it from the disc on my Xbox One some months ago and in my opinion it does play better than its fully patched counterpart (we already had this conversation I'm pretty sure).

I had a blast yesterday playing a MLS Cup final between SJ Earthquakes (me) and the Crew (them), with the team choice being made purely on how much I liked their kits.

I lost after penalties (the match ended 2-2) but it's the first goal I conceded that represented the "wow" moment of that game.
They went ahead soon with Pedro Santos, served by a perfect lofted through ball by Higuain that caught our defense totally off-guard. He got to the ball before Tarbell could and headed the ball past (and over!) him desperately rushing out.

The bad side of the game, though, became really evident after I equalized for the 2nd time: for like 10 ingame minutes the Crew turned into prime Barcelona and started playing the ball with a string of inch-perfect, short, first-time passes almost impossible to intercept, a thing which I hardly believe the Crew could ever do in real life.

After that storm had been weathered, the second "wow" moment of the match came in the form of Wondolowski hitting the outside of the post with a daisy cutter from the limit of the box (once again served with a relly well-executed lofted through ball) and with me both shaking my head in disbelief for the missed opportunity and applauding for how good it looked.

All in all, still a very entertaining match. I'll have to play a little more again to see if that sudden "tiki-taka until we score" attitude is that common (as it was in the demo) but other than that I feel that this is a good game which I spent too little time with at its release.

I've reinstalled it from the disc on my Xbox One some months ago and in my opinion it does play better than its fully patched counterpart (we already had this conversation I'm pretty sure).

I had a blast yesterday playing a MLS Cup final between SJ Earthquakes (me) and the Crew (them), with the team choice being made purely on how much I liked their kits.

I lost after penalties (the match ended 2-2) but it's the first goal I conceded that represented the "wow" moment of that game.
They went ahead soon with Pedro Santos, served by a perfect lofted through ball by Higuain that caught our defense totally off-guard. He got to the ball before Tarbell could and headed the ball past (and over!) him desperately rushing out.

The bad side of the game, though, became really evident after I equalized for the 2nd time: for like 10 ingame minutes the Crew turned into prime Barcelona and started playing the ball with a string of inch-perfect, short, first-time passes almost impossible to intercept, a thing which I hardly believe the Crew could ever do in real life.

After that storm had been weathered, the second "wow" moment of the match came in the form of Wondolowski hitting the outside of the post with a daisy cutter from the limit of the box (once again served with a relly well-executed lofted through ball) and with me both shaking my head in disbelief for the missed opportunity and applauding for how good it looked.

All in all, still a very entertaining match. I'll have to play a little more again to see if that sudden "tiki-taka until we score" attitude is that common (as it was in the demo) but other than that I feel that this is a good game which I spent too little time with at its release.
I think it's a solid game, tiki taka at times when the CPU wants progress, but I think pass speed can reduce that a lot.
I have a early version of it as well and it plays really good.
Just need to fine-tune it
Glad you enjoy it

I think it's a solid game, tiki taka at times when the CPU wants progress, but I think pass speed can reduce that a lot.
I have a early version of it as well and it plays really good.
Just need to fine-tune it
Glad you enjoy it
Fifa 19 is a no go, because there s no use for speedy wingers, there s no individuality....fifa 18 has the individuality there, messi feels like.messi, and bale feels like bale on the wing, unfortunately fifa 19 they dialed the individuality down

Back
Top Bottom