The PC Building Thread

Just got it back from collecting.

He even added a 2tb and 500gb hdd extra and installed windows 8 pro legit on it too.

What a "steal"

Also got the motherboard box and accessories, as well as some of the other boxes in case I wanna split and sell on at a later date

Thanks

What's the best way to handle the change of computers.

I have a bunch of applications to install on the new os drive as it is a clean install of windows 8 but what about certain program info or settings that might need to be saved?

I origin and steam to move over, I take it steam mover is the best for steam? What about origin?

Thanks

What's the best way to handle the change of computers.

I have a bunch of applications to install on the new os drive as it is a clean install of windows 8 but what about certain program info or settings that might need to be saved?

I origin and steam to move over, I take it steam mover is the best for steam? What about origin?

What you're most likely to need are:

C:\Program Files
C:\Program Files (x86)
C:\Users

Users in particular is the one where most of the application config/data is stored, primarily under your own name (assuming that's what you used) but some will be under default etc. I would suggest keeping those three folders and then each app you install I would do it something like this:

1. Install the app clean on your new PC
2. Copy the app's folder from your old PC drive's Programs folder
3. Copy your app's "app data" folder from your old PC drive's Users folder (Users/Yourname/Appdata/Program Name/).

Fingers crossed that should be enough, it's possible there will be some issues with the registry but it should be fine.

Download Gamesave Manager to backup your saved games, worked superbly.

With Steam, you can just copy your Steam folder over (not sure if it's the whole folder or just the 'common' folder), install Steam on the new PC, then just copy the folder over to the new PC.

On a different note so I'll start a separate reply, Windows 8 users can get Windows Media Centre for free currently, you go here: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/feature-packs it's supposed to take about 72 hours to receive the key but I requested 3 on Sunday and five days later no key :(

Edit: Spoke to MS support via chat:

Orders are being processed and you should get your free product key very soon. We appreciate your patience and apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused. Orders are being processed and you should get your product key in the next 24-48 hours. Please provide me with your phone number for following up with the issue.

Last edited:
regarding yours Paul

i did this a while back and i never received them but changed my email address and i got it instantly. not sure if that made a difference

i have also been told you can actually activate windows 8 pro with this key and it becomes a full activation and media centre version

i have also been told you can actually activate windows 8 pro with this key and it becomes a full activation and media centre version

Yeah I think that's the reason for the delay TBH, I asked them that on support and they didn't answer ;)

I'm not actually sure I even want it, the problem is my 360 isn't seeing my PC now that I upgraded to windows8 so can't use custom chants (not that they even work properly as it is!).

what sort of temps should I be looking at with the NVidia 570?

was just playing bf3 on ultra settings with a resolution of 2048x1152

temps when I finished were 82 I noticed.

I have noticed on msi afterburner that it shows 2 gpus and one is 73 idle and the other is 50 idle

doesn't quite add up to me.

how can I test this?

thanks

I use Sapphire Trixx to set my fan profile, although the default fan setting does the job just fine. I've got an AMD card so I'm not really sure about the Nvidia drivers and settings.

Those idle temps don't sound right though. My card sits around 30°c at idle and under load is normally 50-60°c. You could try downloading GPU-Z (http://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/) as that will give you more detailed information about the cards.

Bought a 7950 GPU earlier ... Then realised I won't be able to use my Nvidia 3D Vision kit. Didn't use it too much anyway so listed it for sale.

something is bugging me.

and I can't quite put my finger on it due to so many changes

I have gone from windows 7 to 8

ATI 6870 to NVidia 570 sli

and different monitors - acer 24" to 2x dell 23"

when playing fifa I seem to notice the graphics did not look as sharp. I was also noticing some micro stutter.

I have had the settings exactly as I had them before.

oh and some slight motion blur.

I put my old monitor back on and I don't recall it looking as sharp as it used to on my ati card. again it might be my perception that is off slightly too.

question for you guys, Do ATI cards give a crisper picture? are there settings I can tweak for NVidia if that is the case?

another thing that concerns me, always one of the GPUs is doing most of the work and is hotter than the other.

how do I control the fan speed, I have msi afterburner which I can set profiles up but does that remain all the time?

when playing fifa my gpu 1 was about 80c while gpu was about 40 ish.

fan speed was probably about 60. if I bumped it higher the temp came down.
was only using approx. 40% processing power too.

I take it fifa 13 does not support sli either as there is no need.

how easily should the 570 sli handle BF3 on ultra settings.

resolution 2048x1152

I joined a grand bazaar with 64/64

mainly it was ok but started to suffer when there was lots going on, is that normal?

my temps on my primary gpu went to about 87 until I put the fan speed up to 79 which sounded loud but brought temps down

ok I think I know why my temps are so high on gpu 1

both cards are on top of each other and especially gpu 1 as the fan is literally above gpu 2 and you cant see the fan. this is what would be causing it. not the best design for it really and does concern me with those idle temps a bit. would probably need to change to a bigger atx motherboard than the micro to accommodate both efficiently.

idle temps of approx. 70 for the gpu 1 which is to high for my liking.

your thoughts guys?

Your GPU would be at 70c at max load, maybe 30c on idle. Have you set a custom fan profile to turn fans up as temps go up? Something isn't right there.

I had stutter of FIFA and had to tick the box in the settings, played fine after that.

Deffo 70 at idle

It is because it is a micro atx board and the sli are on top of each other no room for air flow

Only way to control this is either standard size board to create space or fan control

Not to clued up on the fan control side of things but been looking at msi afterburner, I presume I have this starting at bootup and have the fan speed set to user define and not auto?

I don't really want the 2nd gou to speed up if there is no need so can I isolate that control based on the gpu?

Thanks

here are my temps from a cold boot this morning

afterburner.PNG

edit

after setting a custom fan profile I am slightly happier about the temps.

settings1.PNG

settings2.PNG

room for improvement I suppose, short of buying a new board with more room to create space, can't see what else I can do

and I am not buying a new board.

I wouldn't of built it on a micro board especially when the case is big enough to take a full atx.

Last edited:
Deffo 70 at idle

It is because it is a micro atx board and the sli are on top of each other no room for air flow

Only way to control this is either standard size board to create space or fan control

Not to clued up on the fan control side of things but been looking at msi afterburner, I presume I have this starting at bootup and have the fan speed set to user define and not auto?

I don't really want the 2nd gou to speed up if there is no need so can I isolate that control based on the gpu?

Thanks

i have a 580gtx and that idles at 59-60c using 50% fan speed

Back
Top Bottom