The Master League adventures thread

How you finding it now Deco? Noticing much difference?

All I noticed after one game was half my team now wearing red boots lol!

Big difference since the patch even though they've dumbed down manual. . .everything feels more responsive . . the ai defenses are better, a lot more midfield battles going on. .it's all positive except fouls probably . .. .some of the matches have been sublime. . .funny thing happened in my first match I scored a gem of a goal, great move and dipping volley burying the keeper and guess what?. .. I didn't fuckin record it . .could've cried . . ..I'm really enjoying it now though.

Ok, so after a couple of games last night, three things that stood out to me:

1. AI defense seems much tighter, more organised/compact if you like. Was a challenge to break through. But in a good way.
2. The AI were making more errors than pre-patch. Over hitting long balls or simply trying to hit a long ball to a marked striker. I was also able to intercept more passes (I think this is perhaps due to midfield being slightly more congested now, like in real life)
3. RED BOOTS!

Big difference since the patch even though they've dumbed down manual. . .everything feels more responsive . . the ai defenses are better, a lot more midfield battles going on. .it's all positive except fouls probably . .. .some of the matches have been sublime. . .funny thing happened in my first match I scored a gem of a goal, great move and dipping volley burying the keeper and guess what?. .. I didn't fuckin record it . .could've cried . . ..I'm really enjoying it now though.

Definitely better. Shame about your goal dude. Didn’t realise you play manual passing. What difficulty?

Definitely better. Shame about your goal dude. Didn’t realise you play manual passing. What difficulty?

Manual passing AND shooting I'll have you know . .. I usually play Superstar but this year its Top Player as SS was unplayable before the patch. .. since the patch my first season is going great, normally I'd win one match the whole season and get beaten in most others.

Manual passing AND shooting I'll have you know . .. I usually play Superstar but this year its Top Player as SS was unplayable before the patch. .. since the patch my first season is going great, normally I'd win one match the whole season and get beaten in most others.

Sorry lol! My bad haha

Superstar had been hard this year (as you can tell from Valencia’s struggles) but team spirit is improving so I am hopeful!

I enjoy watching your matches. Never clocked you were using manual, testament to how good you are at it.

Sorry lol! My bad haha

Superstar had been hard this year (as you can tell from Valencia’s struggles) but team spirit is improving so I am hopeful!

I enjoy watching your matches. Never clocked you were using manual, testament to how good you are at it.

Ah stop .. .I'm blushing here.

Superstar is some kind of roguelike soccer this year, really. I'm usually patient enough to just adapt to the level but I find Top Player much more enjoyable at the moment. But maybe with the new patch it would be worth a try..

I play SS (PA1, manual shooting), the difficulty is perfect for me personally, but playing against certain teams is torturing. Sometimes I just skip them (Bournemouth, Brighton & Hove Albion, Huddersfield, Swansea City). Prefer against Manchester City 38 times.

I started a new Master with Juventus (classic, top player as already said). Had a strange first game against Atalanta, by night and under the rain, in which they really were aggressive and made 5 fouls (plus a some more of advantage rules), especially after my 0-1 (ended up winning anyway).

Possibly a case by the way, games similar happened even before the patch sometimes, plus I play with great @kilay 's OF that could have contribute changing things, would be nice, tho, to know what triggers this kind of aggression by cpu, we could try to finally edit and change the game for good if possible..

Valencia 0-1 Celta Vigo

Celta Vigo do the double over Valencia.

In the 21st minute Iago Aspas scored the winner. A wonderfully placed header in off the post. Aspas generated an immense amount of power to beat the Valencia keeper. The goal was against the run of play but Celta always looked dangerous countering in the wide areas.

Next up in this tough first season Brescia take on Novara. .we can't get a foot on the ball lately in some very frustrating matches . . hopefully our luck will change in this match which turned out to be a scrappy affair...

Last edited:
Valencia 0-1 Celta Vigo

Celta Vigo do the double over Valencia.

In the 21st minute Iago Aspas scored the winner. A wonderfully placed header in off the post. Aspas generated an immense amount of power to beat the Valencia keeper. The goal was against the run of play but Celta always looked dangerous countering in the wide areas.

Good match I love that they've added in a header like that .. . I got one the other, day feels great when they creep in to the corner.

Been waiting for the patch to arrive before jumping back into PES but I've also been reading Michael Cox's "The Mixer" which looks at the tactical evolution of the Premier League over the last 25 years. The two together has got me incredibly excited to start a new Master League career - game has looked really good from all of the highlight videos and goals from post-patch.

Definitely recommend 'The Mixer' to anyone as well who wants to read a little more into the tactical adjustments of the Premier League and how it was massively influenced and quickly changed. It's already influencing how I'm setting up my teams on this new ML career.

Had a massive break due to Dark Souls 1 first and DS2 SotFS later on, now that patch came out and everyone is positive about it, it's probably time to get back into PES 18? :)

I've played a bit of PES 5 this week and to be honest I'm absolutely shocked how well it still holds up. Eight directions, yes, simplicity, yes, but all of it is so tight and well done, I've had really, really, really good time playing it.

Since I've started default team Barcelona ML in PES 5, I was thinking of something similar in PES 2018...hmm...either Barcelona, or maybe Liverpool? They all have their own stadiums in-game right? Naturally I'd start with default team and build up the new legendary team again.

Maybe some Spanish second division side? I've been to Italy and England already this PES, maybe it's time for Spain especially that I haven't played any Spanish teams for a while now. Last one was Deportivo in PES 6 Phoenix Patch 16 IIRC.

Gotta go check it all out I guess :)

Have to remember to pull the shutters down in these matches . .Brescia are languishing down at the bottom. . Brescia v Pro Vercelli next

Entella v Brescia.. ..the plan was to nick a goal and then shut up shop and defend . .it worked pretty well as they weren't getting a sniff of goal . . .but the script had other ideas . . at least it was done tastefully.

Another rainy game against Bologna, a red card for them (double yellow, never had one before patch to be honest) and some more fouls, I don't know at this point if rain has something to do with fouls or it was just a random case, however in the game after this against Chievo (by night in clear sky conditions) in home they just came back to the canonic zero fouls (with an advantage of something- just for the chronicles). It's worth to explore the situation, maybe in ML it really is a bit different than before tho.

However, except this I must say I'm having a ton of fun.. the game is surely more enjoyable than before.. I don't know if it's only a sensation, but I've seen more random stuff like first touch errors (especially from techincally inferior CPU players) and more random ball direction.. and even a bit more marked individuality, but I don't know if it's just that I'm playing more Top Player now than before, as my suspect is that by making CPU so op, Superstar and Legend tends to flatten stats, but it's just a wild guess.

Reading this post again, I really don't know a damn thing about this game tho (I'm like the Jon Snow of Pes.. lol). But that's okay I guess, when I have a strong hate/love/uncertain relationship with a Pes, it's a good sign in the long run :D.

Maaan, just played a Fiorentina Juventus rival match in cloudy then rainy weather and I must say.. fucking FANTASTIC..

I lost, but it totally felt like real soccer, not only in fouls (being set as a derby, this was kinda expected, even if after patch the pressure and the aggressivity seemed even higher) but the way ALL the match dynamic spread out.. with Fiorentina playing a varied, realistic aggressive soccer, defending intensely after their advantage, with my desperate search for the goal beautifully contained by the cpu, even when I forced the play (especially two plays comes in my mind, a great combined intervention of their goalkeeper and the defender on a through pass for Higuain, in which the ball took a strange and realistic direction, and a save on a low cross for Douglas Costa, where I was ready to tap in for the goal, only for the defender to beautifully tackle and deny me the shot by saving in corner, again the way the ball reacted and the dynamic of the situation completely felt like an action out from a real highlight) .. the loss didn't seem frustating at all, I was amazed..

Damn you Konami, you feel like a damn teaser :D, at this point I'm 100% sure they have the keys for a real soccer simulation but they love to torture us, to give us just small bits here and there.. :D

p.s. I should rep Kilay in my sign or something as I'm almost always doing it in my posts :D.. but credit should go to his own OF as well that makes teams and tactics even tighter..

Transfer News

With the January window barely a day old Valencia have offloaded two players with the intention of raising funds to help get there season back on track.

Garay, frozen out under Mendieta, departs for Germany in a deal worth €25M. Destination? East German upstarts Red Bull Leipzig.

Somewhat more surprising is the sale of Chilean international Fabián Orellano, sold to Seria giants AS Roma for €25M. Once again though, Mendieta has used the midfielder sparingly. preferring the likes of Mina, or Kagawa ahead of the 31 year old.

€50 Million in the kitty. How to spend it

What an entertaining match this was. . .Brescia struggling to find a win to lift them off the bottom faced Carpi and were under the cosh for the 90 mins. .. . .What a chance we missed in the 69th minute . . .at least we defended stoutly and were a bit unlucky at the end.

The Derby . ..Cremonese v Brescia .. this one for the purists . .a tight close game . . nothing spectacular.. a great battle. . .Brescia's third goal, a patient buildup with ten passes. . very realistic. . . 6 fouls for me and 2 or 3 committed by me against them.

Last edited:
The Derby . ..Cremonese v Brescia .. this one for the purists . .a tight close game . . nothing spectacular.. a great battle. . .Brescia's third goal, a patient buildup with ten passes. . very realistic. . . 6 fouls for me and 2 or 3 committed by me against them.

Nice battle Deco. Your third goal was indeed really good, great passing web..

Finally started my first Master League on PES 2018! Decided that since Arsenal had the Emirates added in the last patch that I'd be doing it with them and even though I'm a Chelsea fan at heart, I've never really been one that disliked Arsenal.

Looking at the Arsenal team on paper I decided that I wanted to re-structure how the team was setup and revert back to the style of the double winning Arsenal side in 2001/2002 and the invincible season in 03/04. The 4-4-2 with Bergkamp occupying that 'number 10' role was always a really great Arsenal side to watch and I was such a huge fan of Ljunberg and Pires in the wide midfield roles with Patrick Vieira steaming through from midfield alongside Gilberto Silva.

So looking at the current Arsenal side, I decided we needed to overhaul the squad immediately. A new centre back was key, as was a new box to box centre midfielder in the Patrick Vieira mould. New wide midfielders were required - the current Arsenal wide players aren't midfielders, they're forwards and so it wouldn't work in the 4-4-2 system where everyone is required to move up and down the field as a unit.

Setting about the signings we went for Van Dijk (although a lengthy transfer process meant he missed the Community Shield and opening game of the season) as our ball playing centre half. We sold Alexis Sanchez to PSG for £38 millions and also managed to pick up Adrien Rabiot in the deal as well - tall, French - basically Patrick Viera.

For our wide players we signed Forsberg from RB Leipzig and Lemar from Lyon. Ideally we wanted Willian over Lemar but Chelsea were unwilling to even negotiate so Lemar came in. Ozil being moved into the number 10 role playing behind Lacazette up top!

At this point I'm pretty happy with the side, we made some good signings and the average age to the side is actually quite young which gives us a lot of room to grow although the lack of experience in midfield may harm us in the tougher games. Our starting XI on paper was then Petr Cech in goal; Bellarin and Kolasinac in the full back positions and Van Dijk and Koscienly at centre half. Xhaka and Rabiot start in centre midfield with Forsberg on the left and Lemar on the right; Ozil plays behind Lacazette up front.

Despite losing 2-1 to Chelsea we actually had a storming second half but Hazard & Morata pretty much tore us to pieces with two quick fire goals. Lacazette clawed one back but 2-1 to Chelsea was a fair result and unfortunately we lost the Community Shield.

Our first game of the season! Home to Man City - pretty much a game that we'd like to get a point from but I'm very much aware that City & Man Utd will be vying for the title, we're looking for a top 4 spot for Champions League and trying to pressure Chelsea, Spurs & Liverpool for the 3rd place finish too.

A 2-1 loss to City wasn't ideal, Gabriel Jesus was great for City and scored two wonderful goals but there was yet again glimpses of hope. The Xhaka goal at 2-0 was a good example of the style that we're looking to play, strong through the centre of the pitch and tidy passing all over.

Another home game, this time to Bournemouth should hopefully see us get our first win of the season! And fortunately a convincing 2-0 win (Van Dijk's first game as well) meant that we kept a clean sheet. Both goals from Lacazette and both assisted by Ozil - good promise for the partnership.

The final game of the session was away at West Ham - a London derby and a pretty fiery one. Mark Noble was sent off for a second yellow in the first half and West Ham recorded 8 fouls to our 3. Feisty!

Fortunately an early goal by Rabiot set us up for a convincing 2-0 win before a late Ayew goal made it slightly more nervy.

Overall a mixed start - losing to City & Chelsea wasn't ideal but those aren't the games we're focusing on this season. We need to be beating Liverpool & Spurs to ensure we finish top four and guarantee Champions League football next season - it'll take a while for the new formation to gel as well but goals from Xhaka and Rabiot already suggest that the midfield power has the potential to work and Lacazette is working well with Ozil up top. The downside to 4-4-2 is playing against a 4-5-1 / 4-3-3 and having your 2 CM's overworked and outrun by the 3 CM in the opposition formation so a plan B involving one of Wilshere and Ramsey needs to be considered too. Definitely worth trialling in the Europa League!

Copa Del Rey 2nd Round

Valencia 0-0 Deportivo
(1st leg)

Either side could have snatched victory late on, in what was a tightly fought 1st leg at the Mestalla.

In the 77th minute Andone found himself in a glorious position to grab that all important away goal. But the forward lacked the nerve when presented with only Neto to beat from 8 yards out. Credit to the Valencia keeper though, who saved when he had know right to even get near the ball.

Less than ten minutes later down the other end, Soler capitalised on a defensive mix up to find himself all on his lonesome with only Tyton, the Deportivo keeper, for company. Just as Andone before him, Soler should have given his side that all important advantage leading into the 2nd leg but once again the keeper was the hero. Tyton saving low to his right from the midfielder’s side footed attempt.

All square between the two sides leading into the 2nd leg at the Abanca-Riazor.

Enjoyed watching that one dude. Keep them coming

Back
Top Bottom