Sony PSP/Vita

Re: PSP - The Official Thread

Retail sources are today suggesting that PSP may not reach the UK until Christmas.

Following the news last week that PSP will not be released over here "for several months," many insiders pointed towards a summer launch for the Sony handheld.

Indeed, a July release was apparently bandied about by Sony at one point but this, it seems, will clash with PSP's launch in South Korea. And, as Sony never releases hardware in more than one territory at a time, in order to avoid hardware shortages, it seems a post-July outing for the machine is assured.

At this point, a firm release date for the machine is nothing more than speculative. But, given that July is apparently out of the question, retailers we spoke to were under the impression that Sony would further delay the UK launch until Christmas in order to cash in on what is by far the most lucrative period for new hardware and software.

At present, Sony is remaining tight-lipped on the subject but as soon as we get official word from the company on PSP's UK release we'll let you know.

Meanwhile, the uncertainty about when Europe will finally see PSP has resulted in a thriving grey market for imported machines. Shops on London's Tottenham Court Road are currently selling imported PSPs for around £300 - three times the Japanese price of 19,800 yen (£99).

MBA Technologies, who receive their PSPs from Asian wholesalers, told Reuters: "We sell plenty of these - usually 10 or 20 a weekend."

Admittedly its only speculation at the mo but its still worrying for those who cant wait for a UK release

crayon said:
So P-Dogg, how long did it take you to convert the movie files to memory card?

....talking of which, just checked out one ps2 site and it appears there is a new psp video encoder out called psp mobile media maker.

Hey man...

Took me about 50 minutes to convert a 700MB movie (The Cube). It came out at about 330MB. Then it was a further 3 mins using USB 2.0 to actually get it on the memory card.

This is pretty much the same timescale as most films I have converted using 3GP converter. If you have the files on your PC and arent ripping, expect about an hour to get it on the PSP and convert it..

Last edited:

P-dogg said:
Hey man...

I have converted using 3GP converter.

Thanks for the reply. Was the 3GP converter the Xilisoft one or ImToo or something else?

ahh man i cant believe it, i wont wait that long, i iwll buy either a jap or american psp, u can currently get a jap one for around 200+ for the value pack. i am just waiting for all the god american games 2 come out like that nba game, and then i wil purchase one before i fly of to philippines for my big day :)

Geez, it would be cheaper for one of you guys to collect all the orders together for psp's and club together to buy a plane ticket to Tokyo than to buy seperately and pay huge postage. Plus the value pack is only 125 quid here.

so what do you guys think shall i get a us psp or wait for the uk one ???

and what do you think is the best place to get one ???

Depends on how desperate you are, dsgg.
If you want one soon, buy the US one but if you wait for a UK release, it'll be much cheaper. I'd wait cuz Nintendo are gonna unveil their next handheld at E3 this year, not the DS, a new one after that called GBA2. God knows what that will be like. Its rumoured to be a pocketsize Gamecube.

but id ont like nintendo :( can any1 confirm that US psp games work on the japanese psp?

As far as I know they do, my friend has a japanese PSP and played Wipeout from the US on it. I have the US PSP and I play his japanese Ridge Racers and Minna No Golf. So it is confirmed they work.

Dont buy a US one as its riddled with dead pixels!

Milanista said:
So was the Japanese one, with the faulty square button.

But not with clusters of them!

And the square buttons been fixed!

has the square button been fixed on teh US psps?? are their any import sites that sell US psps? or r they all sold out?

Gamecock10 said:
As far as I know they do, my friend has a japanese PSP and played Wipeout from the US on it. I have the US PSP and I play his japanese Ridge Racers and Minna No Golf. So it is confirmed they work.
Wipeout's available then?? I gotta get out more.... ;)

jonneymendoza said:
has the square button been fixed on teh US psps?? are their any import sites that sell US psps? or r they all sold out?

Videogamesplus.ca

They have some

do we have to pay custom charges? has any1 purchased a US psp from any of these sites?

jonneymendoza said:
do we have to pay custom charges? has any1 purchased a US psp from any of these sites?

Videogamesplus said they will mark it as a gift!

Also you HAVE 2 buy an additional game with them i am going for wipeout!

P-Dogg, you have a 512mb card, so I guess due to system files etc that works out around 460/470mb limit. So is it only possible to get one movie on there? Just wondering how much stuff people have got on. Preferably would like to get a couple on but at Sony prices, maybe I'll give it up!

I love this cartoon

20050325l.jpg

:lmao: In fact, that cartoon can go for anytime I'm gaming full stop!

Btw, I found something of use on the net, another converter, freeware. Haven't tried it yet but here's the link.

http://www.videohelp.com/tools?tool=PSP_Video_9

If you try it out, post here and tell us if it's any good. :)

crayon said:
P-Dogg, you have a 512mb card, so I guess due to system files etc that works out around 460/470mb limit. So is it only possible to get one movie on there? Just wondering how much stuff people have got on. Preferably would like to get a couple on but at Sony prices, maybe I'll give it up!

Sorry to not get back to you quicker.

Yeah comes in about 470 after using the system files. I can in theory split up 2 movies for this but I lose quality in both. I find it better to have a film and say an episode of whatever you like on there. It leaves space for saves, the odd tune etc and you retain the film quality.

Its all about personal preference though. The uality isnt too bad with 2 films on there, maybe the sound is out of sync ever so slightly but its workable.

My THUG2 Remix and Wipeout both turned up today but my PSP is sat here with no charge and I dont have a charger with me.

Utterly lame :(

Thanks for the reply PD! So I guess you get around 2 and a half hours decent quality? I would get a 1gb card if it didn't cost as much as a psp - looks like the 512mb will have to do if Sony has anything to do with it. :( ;)

No worries mate.

512 should be fine.

Wipeout and Thug2 remix are incredible although I am leaning towards THUG2 due to the depth and the framerate in Wipeout is noticeably low. Doesnt really affect it but when you get a rocket up the ass, you will notice it. THUG2 is huge, literally massive and looks the nuts.

Tony Hawk's? I've always been crap at that! I am considering the US version of Wipeout for my Jap PSP tho.

crayon said:
:lmao: In fact, that cartoon can go for anytime I'm gaming full stop!

Btw, I found something of use on the net, another converter, freeware. Haven't tried it yet but here's the link.

http://www.videohelp.com/tools?tool=PSP_Video_9

If you try it out, post here and tell us if it's any good. :)

Here's the official site for PSP Video 9 : http://www.pspvideo9.com/

Also has the latest version to download.

Last edited:

crayon said:
Tony Hawk's? I've always been crap at that! I am considering the US version of Wipeout for my Jap PSP tho.

Well having given Wipeout more time, I must say my opinion from yesterday has changed somewhat.

Its stunning. The framerate isnt hugely noticeable when the speed picks up which is very odd indeed. As soon as you open the faster classes and tracks it becomes incredibly good. Best Wipeout ever? Not sure yet but for a first gen game on PSP, it is fully sick.

Tony's as I said is unbelieveable. The ammount they have put in the game is crazy. Park editor, graphic editor, trick editor, 14 levels and then you can even map your face onto a character by simply uploading a JPG of yourself to the PSP. Add this to the huge array of licences music, classic and story mode and you really do have a console game, in terms of looks and content in the palm of your hand.

Quite simply put, this machine is the nuts.

Back
Top Bottom