Sony PlayStation 3

jay666 im not a fucking fanboy! I own both machines FYI!

I am merely stating that article is NOT anything to do with GT5 but its about Forza 2....

Dj

The prices of the Blu Ray movies are scandalous! is it really worth paying £25 for a movie?

Dj

It looks gorgeous, but I still have no idea what it is (i.e. what kind of game it is - it looks like a platformer, but it looks like a mess-around space for multiplayer as well - I don't even know if it's an actual game or not)!

I'm with you on this JB, I dont get 'it', but then I have an averisive hate of platformers....................

Was watching the dutch gameshow again and they previewed/discussed it. Its basicly a multiplayer puzzle platformer with the puzzles (some) needing more then one player to do. After completing levels you get "buildingblocks" to make your own levels and then put them online. In otherwords theyve made a basic puzzle game for multiplayer and are hoping the community will continue improving it by making their own puzzles. It looked like fun, however its a download game and i wouldnt get the ps3 for it. Same with home, which is looking a lot like a secondlife clone where you also have to pay real money to improve your crib and stuff.

Anyone in the UK want a Brand New UK PS3 at a good price? I've managed to get a wholesale hook up and can now do them at £360 delivered, UK only.

s5000043zk2.jpg

Still got some lads, and more on the way.

New firmware for Tomorrow with upscaling of DVD movies, PS1 and PS2 games in 1080p (FullHD)

Latest PLAYSTATION 3 Firmware Update Provides PlayStation, PlayStation 2 and DVD Upscaling

Remote Play on PSP (PlayStation Portable) via the Internet and DLNA transfer of media content also enabled

London, 24 May 2007 – Sony Computer Entertainment Europe (SCEE) announced today availability of the latest version of the PLAYSTATION®3 (PS3™) firmware. Version 1.80 features upscaling of PlayStation® and PlayStation 2 games, and DVD movies up to full 1080p HD resolution when viewed on a compatible HD TV set.

The capability to upscale DVDs to HD quality is a feature normally only associated with top range DVD players, and its inclusion in the latest firmware upgrade now allows PS3 owners with an existing DVD collection to dramatically enhance the viewing pleasure of their DVD collection when viewed through a compatible HD TV set1. Not only can DVD movies be enhanced to full 1080p HD quality but so too will PlayStation 2 and PlayStation games be upscaled to provide much improved gaming pleasure.

In a comprehensive update to PS3’s already impressive capabilities, Version 1.80 also allows users to enjoy Remote Play on their PSP across the internet, allowing them to access their PS3 anywhere in the world where a broadband internet connection is available2.

Version 1.80 also allows users on a home network to seamlessly view and play rich media content such as images, music and video on their PS3, that is stored on their DLNA3 enabled devices such as PCs and laptops elsewhere in the house, reinforcing PS3’s credentials as a home entertainment hub that truly deserves pride of place in the Living Room.

A host of other enhancements include the ability to print images through PS3 to a selection of Epson printers.

PS3 owners will be able to upgrade their PS3 with the latest Version 1.80 firmware from 24th May 2007.

- ends -

Notes
1. DVD-ROM (DVD Video) with DRM (digital rights management) content can only be upscaled with HDMI compatible TV sets. TVs connected with AV-MULTI cannot be able to upscale DRM content.
2. Use of Remote Play requires a powered up PS3 with Version 1.80 as well as PSP firmware version 3.50 which will be available at the end of May.
3. DLNA – Digital Living Network Alliance. For more info on DLNA, please see
http://www.dlna.org/en/consumer/home

Notes to Editors:

For further information please contact:

Nick Sharples (nick_sharples@scee.net) or Nick Caplin (nick_caplin@scee.net)
Sony Computer Entertainment Europe Ltd
Tel: + 44 207 859 5301(5349) Fax: + 44 207 859 5036

About Sony Computer Entertainment Europe Ltd.

Sony Computer Entertainment Europe (SCEE), based in London, is responsible for the distribution, marketing and sales of PLAYSTATION®3, PlayStation®2 and PSP™ (PlayStation®Portable) software and hardware in 102 territories across Europe, the Middle East, Africa and Oceania. SCEE also develops, publishes, markets and distributes entertainment software for these formats, and manages the third party licensing programs for the formats in these territories.
Since the launch of PLAYSTATION 3 in Europe on 23 March 2007 and the end of March 2007 over 1.6 million units have been shipped across the SCEE territories, over 5.5 million globally. Between its European debut on 24th November 2000 and the end of March 2007, over 44 million PlayStation 2 consoles have been shipped across the SCEE territories, over 117 million worldwide, making it one of the most successful consumer electronic products in history. Between its European debut on 1st September 2005 and the end of March 2007, over 8 million PSP systems have been shipped across the SCEE territories, with over 25 million shipped worldwide since its Japanese launch in December 2004.

More information about PlayStation products can be found at www.playstation.com or visit the Virtual Press Office at www.scee.presscentre.com.

PLAYSTATION, PlayStation and the PlayStation logo are registered trademarks of Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. PSP is a trademark of Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Last edited:
it means if you have a 1080p tv then it will be upscaled to 1080p, if youre tv is 720p then will be upscaled to 720p.

So when are they going to release new PS3 consoles with all this new firmware added?

Is it going to be like the PSP where when you buy a new game that just came out for it, it'll have the latest firmware on the disk?

It says only top of the range players can upscale to 1080p, not really true. Players under £100 can now do this.

And the difference is not immense, if any at all. It is like taking a 1024x576 pic into a 1920x1080, just "streching" it, you aren't gaining any quality. In essence, the TV should be better at scaling the 1024x576 (PAL DVD) into its native resolution.

And for those with 1336x768 TVs which is most people with LCDs, it will resize to 576i->720p and then the TV will resize it to 768p again. If you let the TV resize, it will be 576i/p->768p. One step conversion.

Upscaling players is just a nice money maker for firms, and the craze has made consoles add this feature on.
EDIT: Also 1080p upscaling is only available via HDMI, not component, against DVD laws.

Last edited:
my PS3 is saying that it found a media server ... i have 2 folders one named rhapsody (home) and the other (pc) can anyone help me ?

my PS3 is saying that it found a media server ... i have 2 folders one named rhapsody (home) and the other (pc) can anyone help me ?
Its to let you stream files from your PC.

For the benefit of RuneEdge (and the other people who still think that it's video content only that gets upscaled)...

Read this thread from post #10 downwards.

From the looks of the link in that tenth post, it makes quite an improvement!
There are two options, one for upscaling and one for a smoother image. All that picture shows us is a smoother image. Upscaling in a totally different thing.
Here's an example of what Final Fantasy 10 looks like on the PS2
ffx_screen001.jpg
And heres a pic of it upscaled and running on an Emulator on the PC.
ffx-1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom