Post your fitness goals here, I can help you.

iluvnineties

Banned
18 April 2008
Boston, Massachusetts, USA
FC Porto
I am known on many fitness boards as a "fitness guru". I've been involved in fitness & bodybuilding for many years now. I like to help folks, esp. younger ones develop a better body for themselves and get them healthier. If you have any questions about weight lifting, dieting, losing or gaining weight, supplement intake and such don't hesitate to ask me. I'll do my best to answer all of your questions. A reminder: Questions about illegal performance ehnancing drugs such as steroids or pro-hormones will be ignored. Thanks :)

I need to cut out eating takeaways and chocolate and stuff. It's too hard though, I love takeaways and crisps/chocolate just taste far better than fruit.

Healthier food is always much more expensive too. Far cheaper, and easier, to buy frozen meals than buy ingredients yourself.

I definately need to sort my eating habits though, otherwise I do fear I'll clog my arteries and have health problems soon. I'm approx 13st, bit of a belly but I look pretty average for my height.

Now, I'll get back to eating my 125g bag of M&M's.

I eat non-stop, I feel like I'm always hungry! I enjoy normal food, but I love junk food so much (eg. Chips, Chocolates) and I'm gaining a lot of weight at the moment! Plus the fact I'm diabetic doesn't help the situation.

It's just hard to resist, I'm trying to limit myself now but I find myself eating more junk food than a normal person.

:(

I need to cut out eating takeaways and chocolate and stuff. It's too hard though, I love takeaways and crisps/chocolate just taste far better than fruit.

Healthier food is always much more expensive too. Far cheaper, and easier, to buy frozen meals than buy ingredients yourself.

I definately need to sort my eating habits though, otherwise I do fear I'll clog my arteries and have health problems soon. I'm approx 13st, bit of a belly but I look pretty average for my height.

Now, I'll get back to eating my 125g bag of M&M's.

Seems like your diet is very poor and yes you are right bad eating habits over the years can be fatal. Good, healthier food isn't that expensive. It all depends where you shop. Look to buy food in bulk. Question for you: Explain to me exactly what do you eat throughout the entire day ? Take away the candy and other snacks.

I eat non-stop, I feel like I'm always hungry! I enjoy normal food, but I love junk food so much (eg. Chips, Chocolates) and I'm gaining a lot of weight at the moment! Plus the fact I'm diabetic doesn't help the situation.

It's just hard to resist, I'm trying to limit myself now but I find myself eating more junk food than a normal person.

:(

It's all how badly you want to achieve your fitness goals man. I am telling you, if everyone ate healthier, worked out and all that stuff this world would not need hospitals at all.

I've tried dieting countless of times, some lasted more than others and some didn't. By the way, I'm diabetic because of my father genetically so It's not because I ate my way to diabetes.

The thing is, what do I do when I'm starving? I find myself starving if I don't have a snack at 9:55 AM! So instead now, after that diet I tried I find myself buying a small sandwich with Tuna and some Chicken!

it is not all about diet, although it is very important

get into an exercising habit, it should help squash your appetite, when you are hungry instead of eating, chocolate, crisps etc

eat some fruit instead

it is all about habit at first, but you will get used to the change and so will your body

when i snack i eat, apples, bananas, yogurt

i have a breakfast every morning, a dinner a tea and bowl of cereal in the evening

just cutting out crap like crisps, chocolate, sweets and going to the gym regularly makes a huge difference and your body will eventually get back to normal and be a good calorie machine

Last edited:
I've tried dieting countless of times, some lasted more than others and some didn't. By the way, I'm diabetic because of my father genetically so It's not because I ate my way to diabetes.

The thing is, what do I do when I'm starving? I find myself starving if I don't have a snack at 9:55 AM! So instead now, after that diet I tried I find myself buying a small sandwich with Tuna and some Chicken!

When you are hungry it means your body is naturally burning calories which means weight loss. When you sleep your body needs fuel. That's why it's important to have a good dinner with lots of protein. Breakfast means to break the "fast" ..we all fast during night time, that's why breakfast is the most important meal of the day. When you find yourself hungry late at night time, drink a full glass of ice cold water to kill your hunger. Everyone who wants to lose weight should avoid carbs late at night, as a matter of fact, cut carbs completely after 6 pm. Load up the carbs early in the day for energy and then as the day progresses cut them down completely.

For breakfast try having oatmeal which is rich in complex carbs and then have egg whites which are rich with protein. Egg whites are the best when it comes to protein.

So for beginners this is what I would do:

Breakfast - Bowl of oatmeal or grits with egg whites. 1 Glass of orange juice and a piece of any fuit.

Snack ( 1/2 hours after breakfast ), Protein Shake, apple.

Lunch: Chicken Breasts with brown or white rice or baked potato or sweet potato
Snack - Repeat as above

Dinner - Beef lean steak or ground beef with a big salad and 20oz of water

30 min before bed - have another protein shake.

This diet is well designed for beginners. It provides you with proteins, carbs, fats and so on.

Seems like your diet is very poor and yes you are right bad eating habits over the years can be fatal. Good, healthier food isn't that expensive. It all depends where you shop. Look to buy food in bulk. Question for you: Explain to me exactly what do you eat throughout the entire day ? Take away the candy and other snacks.

Usually consists of a chocolate bar or two, packet of crisps or two. Lunch varies but is usually not healthy and along the lines of a takeaway of sorts.

Tea is, and always has been, chips with something else or other which is usually frozen.

Multiple drinks of diluted juice throughout the day.

I shop at Asda/Tesco's but fresh food is just so damn expensive. It doesn't help that I have a very limited food taste and hardly like any vegetables :((

it is not all about diet, although it is very important

get into an exercising habit, it should help squash your appetite, when you are hungry instead of eating, chocolate, crisps etc

eat some fruit instead

it is all about habit at first, but you will get used to the change and so will your body

when i snack i eat, apples, bananas, yogurt

i have a breakfast every morning, a dinner a tea and bowl of cereal in the evening

just cutting out crap like crisps, chocolate, sweets and going to the gym regularly makes a huge difference and your body will eventually get back to normal and be a good calorie machine

Diet is the key for the success. This is what it should look like:

#1 DIET
#2 REST
#3 TRAINING

You are what you eat.

it is really hard to cut out carbs

i have been monitoring my intakes and what i am burning for a while and i find most of my diet, if you want to call it that is full of carbs

not an easy one to get rid of carbs

I know exactly what you mean, I eat a lot of snacks in between meals because I start to feel physically weak and need that bit of food.

I'm gonna cut out a lot of snacks and start going for runs again. I'm hoping to do the Liverpool 5k Santa Dash next month so I could do with being healthier for that.

What can you suggest to nibble on when bored at my desk in work?

it is really hard to cut out carbs

i have been monitoring my intakes and what i am burning for a while and i find most of my diet, if you want to call it that is full of carbs

not an easy one to get rid of carbs

Carbs = ENERGY that's why it's hard to cut them.

Two types of carbs: complex and simple carbs.

Complex carbs: Oatmeal, Gritz, Baked Potato, Sweet Potato, Pasta, Wheat Bread. Simple carbs: maldodextrin, dextrose, pears, bananas etc.

Thats why it's important to have carbs early in the day so you don't have to depend on them late at night.

When you are hungry it means your body is naturally burning calories which means weight loss. When you sleep your body needs fuel. That's why it's important to have a good dinner with lots of protein. Breakfast means to break the "fast" ..we all fast during night time, that's why breakfast is the most important meal of the day. When you find yourself hungry late at night time, drink a full glass of ice cold water to kill your hunger. Everyone who wants to lose weight should avoid carbs late at night, as a matter of fact, cut carbs completely after 6 pm. Load up the carbs early in the day for energy and then as the day progresses cut them down completely.

I've heard about not eating carbs after 6pm, but I usually eat my tea around 7pm, I get home from work at 4.30pm so 7pm has always been a natural time to eat tea.

You say to load up on carbs early in the day, what foods would you eat for the carbs?

Great thread by the way :TU:

Diet is the key for the success. This is what it should look like:

#1 DIET
#2 REST
#3 TRAINING

You are what you eat.

the word diet tho...

so many diets, every body is different you need to find what is right for you and your daily life

i found being aware of what calories i was eating, doesn't matter if it was carbs, proteins etc and what i burnt exercising and what my natural calorie burn was, was the first step - it is important to be able to adapt the change, and some of the stuff i see people put down as a diet isn't exactly a practicle way for my personally to shop for, cook and eat

i still manage to drop the lbs, gain muscle and live a normal life with what i call normal food and what i like to eat as normal meals

i couldn't adapt the habit of making the above listed foods, to much hassle

i use a site like this http://www.gyminee.com

good thread btw, if you have any good food recipes for healthy eating i am interested...:P

Last edited:
I know exactly what you mean, I eat a lot of snacks in between meals because I start to feel physically weak and need that bit of food.

I'm gonna cut out a lot of snacks and start going for runs again. I'm hoping to do the Liverpool 5k Santa Dash next month so I could do with being healthier for that.

What can you suggest to nibble on when bored at my desk in work?

- When you go home, get some tuna in a can. Put the tuna in the bowl and then put the following: mayo (1 table spoon), half a table spoon of mustard, add some pepper.. Mix all this together. Then take 4 slices of wheat bread, toast them and put the tuna on the bread. This should give you some healthy snack with good carbs and protein. Consider buying some protein powder (whey protein) and have shakes during the day. Also, buy natural peanut butter and just eat it while at work. Have 4-5 table spoons every day. PNB is rich in protein and healthy fats.

[/B]

- When you go home, get some tuna in a can. Put the tuna in the bowl and then put the following: mayo (1 table spoon), half a table spoon of mustard, add some pepper.. Mix all this together. Then take 4 slices of wheat bread, toast them and put the tuna on the bread. This should give you some healthy snack with good carbs and protein. Consider buying some protein powder (whey protein) and have shakes during the day. Also, buy natural peanut butter and just eat it while at work. Have 4-5 table spoons every day. PNB is rich in protein and healthy fats.

And there's where the problems start.

I don't like tuna, don't like peanut butter. I can't even eat a full English breakfast because I don't like eggs, bacon, mushrooms or fried tomatoes :((

I've heard about not eating carbs after 6pm, but I usually eat my tea around 7pm, I get home from work at 4.30pm so 7pm has always been a natural time to eat tea.

You say to load up on carbs early in the day, what foods would you eat for the carbs?

Great thread by the way :TU:

Complex carbs: Oatmeal, Grits, Baked Potato, Sweet Potato, Brown or White rice, Wheat bread - these foods are the best for getting those quality complex carbs in. There is two types of carbs. Complex Carbs and Simple carbs. The difference btw them is huge. Complex carbs will stay in your system for hours and will take time to break down, while simple carbs are fast, and go to your blood stream almost immediately. It's best to have some sort of complex carbs 45min before workout, and then have simple carbs right after a workout. Let's do this math here:

You need energy (carbs) while you are working out. Without them your workout will suffer, you will not be in that training mood. Now, as you're working out, you're burning, fat, calories and those carbs. That's why right ater a workout you need simple carbs. Simple carbs are: maldodextrin, dextrose, fruit like banana, pears, or even a snickers bar. You need your insulin levels and sugar levels to spike up right after a workout. Hope this helps.

Quality posts mate, I'll be sure to keep an eye on this thread and will check back to remind myself of the types of carbs :DD

the word diet tho...

so many diets, every body is different you need to find what is right for you and your daily life

i found being aware of what calories i was eating, doesn't matter if it was carbs, proteins etc and what i burnt exercising and what my natural calorie burn was, was the first step - it is important to be able to adapt the change, and some of the stuff i see people put down as a diet isn't exactly a practicle way for my personally to shop for, cook and eat

i still manage to drop the lbs, gain muscle and live a normal life with what i call normal food and what i like to eat as normal meals

i couldn't adapt the habit of making the above listed foods, to much hassle

i use a site like this http://www.gyminee.com

good thread btw, if you have any good food recipes for healthy eating i am interested...:P

Honestly, I don't pay attention to all these type of diets they have today. Atkins diet and such. All lame to me seriously.

All you need is some education to know what kinds of food do what. What has carbs, what has protein, fats etc and then you incorporate all this together.

It is true, some things might work for some people, and some don't. But we all need protein, we all are built out of muscle, skin and fat so everyones body will react the same to carbs, protein and fats.

And there's where the problems start.

I don't like tuna, don't like peanut butter. I can't even eat a full English breakfast because I don't like eggs, bacon, mushrooms or fried tomatoes :((

That's just bad made lol. Seems like all food that is healthy and good for you you can't stand huh. It's like that with everyone. I'm not a big fan of tuna myself, but I add these ingredients like mayo and stuff to kill the smell and the taste. It works.

You just have to be a man and do it. :P

I'm glad I can help. Typing all this stuff gets me motivated as well. However, I'm having Pizza Today for lunch :P.

Forgot to add few things:

WATER, WATER WATER... the most important thing in anyone's life should be WATER. At least 1 gallon a day, that is what 2 liters or so..I can't remember..but 1 gallon of water throughout the day.

Water will help you lose weight. The more you drink the better are the results. Also, water will flush out your system from any impurities that we have in our bodies from foods and other unwanted chemicals.

Keep your sodium in check. Always check the nutritional facts and check sodium. Sodium will attract water in our system. That's when we look fat and bloated. So water will actually kick the salt out of your system and this is where weight loss comes from.

And remember, you MUST have 1 cheat day a week. This is typically on Saturdays where you can eat anything and everything as much as you want.

Last edited:
I hate taking dumps, especially when your not at home! and when I'm in the toilet correct me if I'm wrong only one thing gets released...

However, is it okay to over-eat healthy food? for example before I began eating like 5 apples after dinner, and instead of a plate of salad I eat 3x more. And in addition to that, can you give me some detail on meat, is it okay to have things such as pork/beef with rice?

Back
Top Bottom