PES 2018 PlayStation & Xbox Discussion Thread

Anyone seen Dortmund's defending yesterday (in what was a fabulous game of football)?
If this would have been PES, then people would be moaning for hours about the defending.

By the way, i don't see the the over the top through balls from the defense. I play with wingbacks and and with a very low defense line and i the AI doesn't play those ball.

Still struggling with defending...

That Dortmund match played like Pes 2018 in a lot of passages . ..exactly what I thought watching it last night.

Not aimed at your Rocky... I just felt like using your post to jumpstart this, which has been in my head for the past couple of days:

Really enjoyed watching this review, it makes the game look really good and enjoyable. Highlights the good bits.

Well, just imagine if you were to tell a friend who has NEVER EVER played a Football game in his life.
He has always been a Basketball fan and has always hated football.
BUT... about a year ago he started to pay a little more attention to football, because of another friend of his, who induced him to get rid of the prejudice of the business football represents, and all the (sometimes unnecessary) attention it gets.
Imagine, if you will, that he came to you and said "Hey, I've been thinking of getting FIFA. I'm excited to play a football game for the first time in my life". He doesn't even know you play PES. He doesn't even know PES, AT ALL. He heard about FIFA many times before (and since it's easy to link FIFA to, well... FIFA, it's also easy to remember. it sticks in your mind).

I don't know what you would do, but I know I would tell him something like: FIFA? Why are you so settled on that? You do know there's another option, don't you? Actually, a BETTER option, in my opinion, it's called PES.
He would answer something like "No, I had no idea! How come I've never heard of it? Tell me more about PES, why should I get that one instead?".

So on the way to the store, you start telling him all about PES 2018. I would start by telling him why he may have never heard about PES (licenses primarily and also less marketing resources than FIFA). Then, I would highlights all the things I love about it. And end up by saying "the things I don't like are..." and talk a little about the small positioning issues, the little fouls, and the constant chipped through balls by the AI.

Which game do you think he would go for when you arrive to the store?-

I'm sure, any non-PES fan, could easily overlook the things we make bigger and bigger here (or in any other PES forum). The game has very few things to correct, that can't cast a shadow on all the very good things it has.

In fact, that is why even if you and him, and me, and that other guy over there, complain about this and moan about that all the time, you still see them here. In this community. In this thread. In PES. Because the game is fundamentally good. And when you are playing it, it feels right. When you are playing it, you can overlook the flaws. It is only after several matches, or after you've stopped playing it, that you start thinking about its shortcomings again and come here and complain about it. Because it's easy to do, and because you would like that to be changed and improved.

So, that video, is why most of us choose PES everyday. That's why we keep going back to play it. And if you were to tell a friend about the bad bits of it, you would only have like 4 or 5 small points. Easy to overlook when enjoying a game so fucking much.

100%, I rarely score gimme's or similar goals ever, every goals feels unique and different. I scored two with Lukaku in a RSM, it felt like two goals Big Rom would genuinely score.

The first wa a chipped through ball, the defender was odds on, but misjusfed the bounce and Lukaku go ahead of him, and with sheer strength muscled off the defender and held him off, to go one on one and curl it into the top left corner.

The amazing thing was how Lukaku stopped just before the shot to place it, and it was like he could score or miss, it's Lukaku after all. And not being a complete striker just a good one, he scored and i felt he did well to score. it was the feeling of being Lukaku.
it's difficult to describe, but i'm sure you know the feeling.
I still get surprised by the small details Rocky,like you said with Lukakus
Makes you happy right:)

Not aimed at your Rocky... I just felt like using your post to jumpstart this, which has been in my head for the past couple of days:

Well, just imagine if you were to tell a friend who has NEVER EVER played a Football game in his life.
BUT... about a year ago he started to pay a little more attention to football, because of another friend of his, who induced him to get rid of the prejudice of the business football represents, and all the (sometimes unnecessary) attention it gets.
Imagine, if you will, that he came to you and said "Hey, I've been thinking of getting FIFA. I'm excited to play a football game for the first time in my life". He doesn't even know you play PES. He doesn't even know PES, AT ALL. He heard about FIFA many times before (and since it's easy to link FIFA to, well... FIFA, it's also easy to remember. it sticks in your mind).

I don't know what you would do, but I know I would tell him something like: FIFA? Why are you so settled on that? You do know there's another option, don't you? Actually, a BETTER option, in my opinion, it's called PES.
He would answer something like "No, I had no idea! How come I've never heard of it? Tell me more about PES, why should I get that one instead?".

So on the way to the store, you start telling him all about PES 2018. I would start by telling him why he may have never heard about PES (licenses primarily and also less marketing resources than FIFA). Then, I would highlights all the things I love about it. And end up by saying "the things I don't like are..." and talk a little about the small positioning issues, the little fouls, and the constant chipped through balls by the AI.

I'm sure, any non-PES fan, could easily overlook the things we make bigger and bigger here (or in any other PES forum). The game has very few things to correct, that can't cast a shadow on all the very good things it has.

In fact, that is why even if you and him, and me, and that other guy over there, complain about this and moan about that all the time, you still see them here. In this community. In this thread. In PES. Because the game is fundamentally good. And when you are playing it, it feels right. When you are playing it, you can overlook the flaws. It is only after several matches, or after you've stopped playing it, that you start thinking about its shortcomings again and come here and complain about it. Because it's easy to do, and because you would like that to be changed and improved.

So, that video, is why most of us choose PES everyday. That's why we keep going back to play it. And if you were to tell a friend about the bad bits of it, you would only have like 4 or 5 small points. Easy to overlook when enjoying a game so fucking much.

Great post Chuny!

Well why don't people complain about that match?
I know that PES has Obvious flaws, there is no doubt about that, but i can't understand people who are over analysing.
It seems very clever, but is it really?

As a former defender to analyse every possible goal and he will tell you that every goal is the result of bad defending. Maradonna's wondergoal in 1986 against England: bad defending.
Recently some pundit said that the most overrated goal ever was the Carlos Alberto goal in the 1970 World Cup final, because the Italians were knackered because of the famous semi-final against Germany ("the best football match ever").

Look at Arsenal and how they defend. Liverpool.

We don't want perfect attacking play, but we want perfect defending. IRL perfect defending does not exist and this least of all in England.

Good post Chuny
We who play this know how good it is,others who keeps repeating their mantra's "broken" etc etc, seriously,they wouldn't know a good football if it jump up and bit them in their asses.
It's pretty much smooth sailing in here compared to a week ago.
Maybe it's because people has realised it's a good game,or realised that game nr 2 is,well...not good!
Who knows,who cares?
I'm enjoying it,and have since 00:01 14/9

Last edited:
Well why don't people complain about that match?

A- Because you can't call a real life match 'UNREALISTIC'. LOL
B- Because, if you are a Dortmund fan, you would complain about the team (in general) or about specific players which didn't do what each play required them to do. Or because they failed to do it properly. Not about THE MATCH itself.
C- Because it's easy to complain about A GAME. It's easy to come here and post over and over. And because you know it can be fixed afterall. In real life, it's not so easy to beat Real Madrid, and we as human beings, understand that, and accept that. No matter what team you support.

DKuYk39WsAEF_uI.jpg:large

Loved Chuny and Rocky's posts. They described very well my own experience with this Pes until now.

In the current state of things, we clearly can't have a true soccer simulation the way we'd dream about it.. at least one in which we play on the field in first person. Maybe if somebody crazy enough would program the Dwarf Fortress equivalent in soccer, all simulation and almost no graphic. It would be too much work and an unmarketable game to the big crowd tho (even if I'd probably play something like this :D).

But anyway. as said above, I know we don't have a perfect simulation. And I know that this Pes have some significant flaws here and there.
BUT. Lately I've learned to judge soccer games by "sections". If the pace of the game is good enough, if there is enough randomness, if in some points of the match you can see something that resembles real soccer, and so on.. and with Pes 2018, I can surely say the good stuff mixed up, outgrows the bad by a GREAT margin, at least to me.

p.s. I'll leave you guys with a small personal reflection I wanted to put out from some time.. I'm pretty sure that if a game like Pes5/WE9, arguably the best soccer game ever (surely the one I've played the most) were to came out today, people would tear it apart ;).

I'm pretty sure that if a game like Pes5/WE9, arguably the best soccer game ever (surely the one I've played the most) were to came out today, people would tear it apart ;).
You know, I've said that myself before now, and firmly believed it - but watching @geeeeee's PES 2008 videos in the ML thread, I'm kind of open-mouthed at how he has to work his way up the pitch and how the general flow of the game looks so realistic.

So I'm not so sure I feel that way any more - and yet at the same time, I'm so spoilt by modern-day ball physics and (let's face it) graphics, I don't think I could bring myself to play it. Like a kid who won't go back to carrots now he's had chocolate.

But then, could it be said that, now games are 360-degree, there's too much for a CPU to do (managing 22 players and all of their attributes, as well as their positioning and intelligence, plus movement) - and so all we're really doing is swapping one brilliant thing (e.g. how attributes worked in the older games and arguably the midfield balance) for another (comparatively spectacular freedom and ball physics)?

Loved Chuny and Rocky's posts. They described very well my own experience with this Pes until now.

In the current state of things, we clearly can't have a true soccer simulation the way we'd dream about it.. at least one in which we play on the field in first person. Maybe if somebody crazy enough would program the Dwarf Fortress equivalent in soccer, all simulation and almost no graphic. It would be too much work and an unmarketable game to the big crowd tho (even if I'd probably play something like this :D).

But anyway. as said above, I know we don't have a perfect simulation. And I know that this Pes have some significant flaws here and there.
BUT. Lately I've learned to judge soccer games by "sections". If the pace of the game is good enough, if there is enough randomness, if in some points of the match you can see something that resembles real soccer, and so on.. and with Pes 2018, I can surely say the good stuff mixed up, outgrows the bad by a GREAT margin, at least to me.

p.s. I'll leave you guys with a small personal reflection I wanted to put out from some time.. I'm pretty sure that if a game like Pes5/WE9, arguably the best soccer game ever (surely the one I've played the most) were to came out today, people would tear it apart ;).
Yes sir,if Pes 5 came out today it would be called an arcade game,or more popular...broken!
What gets me pissed off is that some judge and rate/complaint about this without having a clue on playing it.
Disc in,press play.....broken!
Like if I would take FIFA seriously on the remarks made by posters in their thread "I like the fact that the game isn't to hard/does my preorder come with CR7 FUT card?"
I wouldn't judge their game based on comments like that,but in here,some random guy posts "broken" and a dozen guys applauds that and it's suddenly true

You know, I've said that myself before now, and firmly believed it - but watching @geeeeee's PES 2008 videos in the ML thread, I'm kind of open-mouthed at how he has to work his way up the pitch and how the general flow of the game looks so much more realistic.

So I'm not so sure I feel that way any more - and yet at the same time, I'm so spoilt by modern-day ball physics and (let's face it) graphics, I don't think I could bring myself to play it. Like a kid who won't go back to carrots now he's had chocolate.

Chris honestly for how good they were, I'm at a point I couldn't play older games anymore like you. It worked until Pes 2013 maybe- now whenever I try an older glory, I can only carry on some minutes. It feels too much outdated to me compared to modern games. Not that I'd critic somebody for finding this enjoyable!

Yes sir,if Pes 5 came out today it would be called an arcade game,or more popular...broken!

Yes Rock EXACTLY, that's the point I was making, Pes5 was an incredible game under many aspects but had some critic flaws like the offensive AI of the cpu. I think if an equal, revolutionary soccer game came out today with the modern tech, depicting some stuff at the current state of art only to fail in others, people would happily jump on the fails with no second thoughts!

Yes Rock EXACTLY, that's the point I was making, Pes5 was an incredible game under many aspects but had some critic flaws like the offensive AI of the cpu. I think if an equal, revolutionary soccer game came out today with the modern tech, depicting some stuff at the current state of art only to fail in others, people would happily jump on the fails with no second thoughts!
No doubt on that bro.
Remember how 17 was slaughtered in here last year,while same guys celebrated their game as fantastic,today their 17 is a horrible game in their eyes,and a lot of people think,me included that Pes 17 still us a good game.
Same thing will probably happen with Pes 18
I think konami took a bold move to release a game like this,could have played it safe.
Fix the obvious flaws,and it's a classic

Hope Microsoft gets their shit together and let us import again.
Pretty pissed of with their stupid stance on this

It´s one of the most stupid things ever, really. But hey, it´s Microsoft. It´s becoming their story along the years. I have had Microsoft Lumia phones for the past 4 years now. I´m sure most don´t agree with this, but it´s been the best, most stable system I have ever experienced in phones. Ultra reliable, excelent battery, super fast. But, Microsoft understands that they don´t need to upgrade it, nor upgrade the market. Slowly it became a useless, full of potential equipment. I will never understand why on earth they abandon a product that had the potencial to become the best in the market... But they did...

Long story short, I don´t believe they will activate the patching on Xbox, even if that means more people buying another console to play PES...

Yeah people still refer PES 5 like some kind of messiah of all times... It was, back in the days. It made part of the evolution and that one was a revolutionary game. But it can´t live to today´s standards, no way. It was very balanced, but compared to what we´re used to know, it´s very limited. In options and in gameplay.

I already had some nostalgia feeling and played it a couple times in the recent years, but it´s never gonna be a substitute for PES 2018.

It´s one of the most stupid things ever, really. But hey, it´s Microsoft. It´s becoming their story along the years. I have had Microsoft Lumia phones for the past 4 years now. I´m sure most don´t agree with this, but it´s been the best, most stable system I have ever experienced in phones. Ultra reliable, excelent battery, super fast. But, Microsoft understands that they don´t need to upgrade it, nor upgrade the market. Slowly it became a useless, full of potential equipment. I will never understand why on earth they abandon a product that had the potencial to become the best in the market... But they did...

Long story short, I don´t believe they will activate the patching on Xbox, even if that means more people buying another console to play PES...
I'm sceptical as well pal,although a possibility with the One drive could be possible,import through the web.
But,it's not a game breaker for me,the Xbox is a stunning machine otherwise.
Just the other day I realised that I was a HDMI input to short on my telly.
I have three inputs, Apple TV,digital box,and my Xbox,so what to do with my PS3?
Switch cables all the time?
Buy a switch?
Nope,I use my HDMI input on my Xbox,and connect my PS3 through there.
Genius!
Sorry for off topic

Again, nobody wants perfection. I just want the CPU to react to the ball in the right situations. It's really that simple. There is no over-analysis, because it really is that simple. I've posted/tweeted video clips in which the CPU instantly retreats despite losing a ball to a 50/50 situation...inside my box.

Not perfection. Logical decision making.

Just the other day I realised that I was a HDMI input to short on my telly.
I have three inputs, Apple TV,digital box,and my Xbox,so what to do with my PS3?
Switch cables all the time?
Buy a switch?
Nope,I use my HDMI input on my Xbox,and connect my PS3 through there.
Genius!
Just so you know Rock, that adds a ton of response time lag if you measure it (I tried it myself when I was in exactly the same situation).

I ended up putting my TV box through there instead, because for as long as you send sound through the HDMI too (so sound/video stays in sync), lag doesn't effect anything!

Just so you know Rock, that adds a ton of response time lag if you measure it (I tried it myself when I was in exactly the same situation).

I ended up putting my TV box through there instead, because for as long as you send sound through the HDMI too (so sound/video stays in sync), lag doesn't effect anything!
Great advice Chris,I'll rather put my TV box or ATV through there.
Thanx pal

Back
Top Bottom