PES 2018 PlayStation & Xbox Discussion Thread

Quick question,3rd game in to my ML,and this has happen to me before.
Got a red card on Castan (CB) in the 65th minute,decided a while later to substitute bellotti (fw) for Burdisso (cb)
I dragged burdisso in to Castans vacant CB spot,and played 4-4-1, with an empty fw spot up front
Still Burdisso played as a fw instead of a cb
How the hell is that possible.
Obviously it cost me 2pts since I only had three defenders and they spammed the box with crosses

Quick question,3rd game in to my ML,and this has happen to me before.
Got a red card on Castan (CB) in the 65th minute,decided a while later to substitute bellotti (fw) for Burdisso (cb)
I dragged burdisso in to Castans vacant CB spot,and played 4-4-1, with an empty fw spot up front
Still Burdisso played as a fw instead of a cb
How the hell is that possible.
Obviously it cost me 2pts since I only had three defenders and they spammed the box with crosses

Were you using fluid formation and forgot to edit on and off the ball formations?

I noticed on some videos the long through ball spam, and I would like to test something myself... but the demo won´t let me touch on the tactics so I can´t. While playing , lots of times I´ve noticed the CPU quiting a pass because I closed the lane... Maybe if we could position our players to press the CM´s that make those passes, then they would be forced to try something else? I know that, on the demo, if I let the FB´s defending, CPU stoped the spaming of through balls, so maybe with the right tactic it´s possible to reduce that.

Also, it would mean that we have to set our tactic acording to the opponent, wich would be great! Just a thought...

As a customer of NBA 2K on an annual basis, there is no doubt its the benchmark for how a games 'franchise' mode should be done.

And although there is no defence of PES in this regard, ML is basic at best, inept at worst... the thing that is 'easier' for 2K (and any developer of US sports games) is that there is 1 league and 1 setup that never changes. 32 teams, a set amount of players etc

Imagine if PES came out and had a fully licensend La Liga, the Spanish Cup and thats it. Nothing more, nothing less... no players to sign from 'elsewhere'... no continental competition, just 1 setup and thats it. Would that be acceptable? Its not an excuse as to why PES ML is shit, but there are more tangibles in football and its competitions than a straight forward, 2 x 16 team conference setup that goes to a playoff system to determine a winner.. rinse and repeat.

Id love PES to be able to get it right in ML, its my bread and butter. But at times, comparing it to other games is like saying this banana dont taste like an apple.

Licenses. I guess it must be incredible complicated to sell a footie game without having licenses especially if you are new to this market and without a grown fanbase like PES has it. Making a game under this circumstances seems to be very risky.
no way, they only need 1 league fully licensed and it would sell enough to keep it. If it plays better than all others it would sell lots.

regarding that money talk... that other company... gaming industrie itself...
Ian Bell from SMS said this (just found it online):
We made a game called Need for Speed: Shift, we made a game called Shift 2 and EA came to me and said "We’ll give you 1.5 million if you agree not to talk to any other publisher, to agree any other games or work on any other arrangement with any other publisher. And we’ll give you 1.5 million and we’ll sign Shift 3". So I said OK. That sounds like a good deal. I took the 1.5 million, I paid the guys, lots of bonuses, and two weeks before we were due to start Shift 3 it was cancelled. With no warning. They said "We are not doing that anymore.”

“We were in trouble, we had nothing left. We were done. They literally destroyed our company. They tried to kill us, they tried to steal our technology as well. They tried to f*ck us over, there is no other way to put it. That’s what they tried to do. And we have no love for EA and this company. They're assholes and corporate monsters.”
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1435887

sorry if slightly ot, but i think it fits the conversation! :)

There had been progress from PES 2013 to PES 2018, however some were good progress and some bad. However the main difference I see between PES 2013 and PES 2018 is how much player stats matter and the master league. Also personally really loved the shooting in PES 2013. Although I think the overall pace of the game, player movement and dribbling is much better in PES 2018 since in PES 2013, all players felt like they run near the same speed. Also I find PES 2018 AI a bit better than PES 2013 due to how linear the PES 2013 is. However, I really do miss how much stats impacted players and teams back then. It use to be so hard to beat teams like Spain, Barcelona, Real Madrid, Chelsea, Man Utd, etc and can easily thrash Skybet League teams. However right now, the difference is slim to none. Just few little tweaks can make PES 2018 such a perfect game which is why it's so frustrating. It feels like PES 2018 is rushed with all the bugs and niggles.

Topaz Pes 2013 had nonsense shots from distance which would go in.

There had been progress from PES 2013 to PES 2018, however some were good progress and some bad. However the main difference I see between PES 2013 and PES 2018 is how much player stats matter and the master league. Also personally really loved the shooting in PES 2013. Although I think the overall pace of the game, player movement and dribbling is much better in PES 2018 since in PES 2013, all players felt like they run near the same speed. Also I find PES 2018 AI a bit better than PES 2013 due to how linear the PES 2013 is. However, I really do miss how much stats impacted players and teams back then. It use to be so hard to beat teams like Spain, Barcelona, Real Madrid, Chelsea, Man Utd, etc and can easily thrash Skybet League teams. However right now, the difference is slim to none. Just few little tweaks can make PES 2018 such a perfect game which is why it's so frustrating. It feels like PES 2018 is rushed with all the bugs and niggles.
I just played a ML game on my Pes 2013,though,like Shez said,we've lost tons of features from that game an that era,and it was fun playing it,really enjoyed it,that's why I bought a dirt cheap PS3 the other year.
But...it's so much better now,not features, but pretty much everyone when it comes to game play/movement/ ball physics... forget about,it's day and night,even though 13 was my favourite title with Pes 6,it's moved on,and most have become better.
Konami only need to make those (better) things really good.
I think 18 is very close to be a very good game
Back heel inferno gone
Pass percent for cpu lowered
Fouls/pens
And I'll take that game asap,even though it lacks a shitload of features

Im trying so hard to like ML had some games that were brilliant like me vs sampdoria away both sitting at the bottom of the table drew 1-1 was a real scrappy battle I have seen some real wow moments that make me pause to replay

BUT a lot of the games are so repetitive its ruining the fun things like

You score and no matter what you try AI will score an equalizer within 5min

Scores are level 88th to 90th minute AI will score a winning goal they chip over the def shoot that rebounds off the post /GK to their CF to put in an empty net had this happen loads

AI make runs that you cannot stop your DF will not track even with marking set

Once you score the 2nd goal is near impossible to get it will do everything to stop you even if you get a 1v1 their gk becomes god or shot go wide repeatedly its very obvious

AI spams shots from 18yrds that your GK pulls off flying saves always the same height and same animation

Im trying so hard to like ML had some games that were brilliant like me vs sampdoria away both sitting at the bottom of the table drew 1-1 was a real scrappy battle I have seen some real wow moments that make me pause to replay

Scores are level 88th to 90th minute AI will score a winning goal they chip over the def shoot that rebounds off the post /GK to their CF to put in an empty net had this happen loads

Once you score the 2nd goal is near impossible to get it will do everything to stop you even if you get a 1v1 their gk becomes god or shot go wide repeatedly its very obvious

AI spams shots from 18yrds that your GK pulls off flying saves always the same height and same animation

ML is always heavily scripted which ruins it . .at least in 2017 the defenders would make a good effort to stop a runner... one thing in 2018 which is very annoying is the chip to the chest inside the box to the opposition forward and time seems to stand still until the forward decides to put it in even with the keeper challenging.

Exactly my experience with the game as well. It's frustrating as it has good elements to it but totally ruined by it's faults. You have basically summed up an entire game in ML.

Another gripe I have is the lack of intelligence of the non CPU off the ball players. When in defence, they don't track runs meaning that the spammed through ball is impossible to stop. And in attack players inexplicably stop running when they are about to run into great positions, they sometimes neglect to run - particularly out wide when your winger comes short and stands still instead of overlapping on the outside. This happens all the time. Infuriating.

Exactly my experience with the game as well. It's frustrating as it has good elements to it but totally ruined by it's faults. You have basically summed up an entire game in ML.

Another gripe I have is the lack of intelligence of the non CPU off the ball players. When in defence, they don't track runs meaning that the spammed through ball is impossible to stop. And in attack players inexplicably stop running when they are about to run into great positions, they sometimes neglect to run - particularly out wide when your winger comes short and stands still instead of overlapping on the outside. This happens all the time. Infuriating.
Agree on most of what you said,my game has become aeons better by playing with secondary player icon,not saying it stops all through balls,but it gets a lot done,since they play the ball so fast,having a secondary player "more ready" helps
Confusing first 4-5 games,now I've got it sorted

Part of where I"m getting bored is the defensive AI on the flanks. There is just zero resistance.

Thankfully (?)... the adjustment to make the SB's into SMF's + Wingback Adv Instruction...is somewhat helping. Had a fun match earlier doing this with the 5-second fix. Was nice to see power shots in the right context, and the match ended 0-0 despite some decent-size gaps in the middle of the pitch. My approach is, if you can send through balls in the middle of the pitch, then something is wrong. That's what needs to be addressed next.

/work

Part of where I"m getting bored is the defensive AI on the flanks. There is just zero resistance.

Thankfully (?)... the adjustment to make the SB's into SMF's + Wingback Adv Instruction...is somewhat helping. Had a fun match earlier doing this with the 5-second fix. Was nice to see power shots in the right context, and the match ended 0-0 despite some decent-size gaps in the middle of the pitch. My approach is, if you can send through balls in the middle of the pitch, then something is wrong. That's what needs to be addressed next.

/work
/Good work
Nice seeing you on it pal

You'll be surprised that actually we're all fighting in Konami's corner, Each with their own approach and we're shaking things, But it seems that they only want a certain blind type of fans around them and not everyone.

I'm tempted to do a full comparison between PES 2013 with all the patches to PES 2018 and try to investigate if there's any progress since then..... We lost around 10 key in game features since that year and a huge chunk of the community, Is that the price of penetrating the online market? Was it really worth it judging by where we are now?
Please open a separate thread when you're ready, or post your findings in the feedback thread.

I noticed on some videos the long through ball spam, and I would like to test something myself... but the demo won´t let me touch on the tactics so I can´t. While playing , lots of times I´ve noticed the CPU quiting a pass because I closed the lane... Maybe if we could position our players to press the CM´s that make those passes, then they would be forced to try something else? I know that, on the demo, if I let the FB´s defending, CPU stoped the spaming of through balls, so maybe with the right tactic it´s possible to reduce that.

Also, it would mean that we have to set our tactic acording to the opponent, wich would be great! Just a thought...
Perhaps setting more marking or gegenpress option?

Guess it's not very fashionable to say that I enjoy my ML,but I am.
After trying all sorts of games today,I'm really hoping the adjustments will be made to get this up to where it should be.
Lovely game with annoying issues

Really enjoying the game, despite acknowledging its faults. I may be a fool, but I'm loyal optimistic fool, and I've not missed a game since ISS Pro on PS1.

Reluctant to start a ML yet, but just stayed up way too late having decided to take Persepolis through the the AFC CL. Really moderate players - huge, huge fun.

I feel like I can do things I did in PES 5 again. But I miss the midfield battles, which is what I enjoyed above all.

Really enjoying the game, despite acknowledging its faults. I may be a fool, but I'm loyal optimistic fool, and I've not missed a game since ISS Pro on PS1.

Reluctant to start a ML yet, but just stayed up way too late having decided to take Persepolis through the the AFC CL. Really moderate players - huge, huge fun.

I feel like I can do things I did in PES 5 again. But I miss the midfield battles, which is what I enjoyed above all.
Try to set a tigh midfield t and high defensive line,and -1 game speed helps alot.
Glad you're enjoying it

I see where you're coming from - I'm just reluctant to play a high line. Too many matches against canny humans. I prefer to load the midfield and have close pass support. But new game = new possibilities so perhaps I should give it a go.

Really liking the Wingback Advanced Instructions, though: several formations I've rejected in the past - three-man defence, diamond midfield - are back on the cards.

I see where you're coming from - I'm just reluctant to play a high line. Too many matches against canny humans. I prefer to load the midfield and have close pass support. But new game = new possibilities so perhaps I should give it a go.

Really liking the Wingback Advanced Instructions, though: several formations I've rejected in the past - three-man defence, diamond midfield - are back on the cards.
My Team spirit was horrible when I started my ML,and I tried 3-5-2,but I had to go for a 4-4-2 in the end.
The problem this game has,among some other faults,is the CPU chipping in the ball over your defenders,and keeping a low defensive line is suicide in 18,that's why I play a high with pressure.
And yes it's endless possibilities in this one.
Hopefully a patch will sort a few issues

Is everyone's ML team spirit dropping to 40s or is it just me?
Mine started at 55,and 5 league games and two EL games in I'm up to 70
Probably has a connection to squad happiness as well,plus winning games.
I tried a 3-5-2 lineup at first,no go mate,think I had 39 in TS:)

Strange thing,played a ML game ,a EL Vs vitesse Arnhem,not one chipped through ball,not once,in s 20 Min game.
Best I've had in ages,everything felt super responsive,they did build up play,game ended with 5 FK to me,plus two yellow cards.
Fantastic game
Almost thought konami had patched it

Mine started at 55,and 5 league games and two EL games in I'm up to 70
Probably has a connection to squad happiness as well,plus winning games.
I tried a 3-5-2 lineup at first,no go mate,think I had 39 in TS:)

Strange thing,played a ML game ,a EL Vs vitesse Arnhem,not one chipped through ball,not once,in s 20 Min game.
Best I've had in ages,everything felt super responsive,they did build up play,game ended with 5 FK to me,plus two yellow cards.
Fantastic game
Almost thought konami had patched it
Interesting. Will need to try different formations see if that does anything. I've only drawn 1 and won 1 and lost the rest though so maybe that's why.

I just played a ML game on my Pes 2013,though,like Shez said,we've lost tons of features from that game an that era,and it was fun playing it,really enjoyed it,that's why I bought a dirt cheap PS3 the other year.
But...it's so much better now,not features, but pretty much everyone when it comes to game play/movement/ ball physics... forget about,it's day and night,even though 13 was my favourite title with Pes 6,it's moved on,and most have become better.
Konami only need to make those (better) things really good.
I think 18 is very close to be a very good game
Back heel inferno gone
Pass percent for cpu lowered
Fouls/pens
And I'll take that game asap,even though it lacks a shitload of features

Yup those 3 gameplay tweaks should be feedback ASAP to konami.. Top priority. probably the pass % is passing stats impact tweak.

Back
Top Bottom