PES 2018 PC Discussion Thread

I tried playing the game in 4K tonight for the first time and the performance was awful, in both cutscenes and gameplay.
Couldn't believe it. I think I have specs to run this game all maxed out in 4K no problem.

I haven't tinkered about with the Nvidia Control Panel to see if it changed anything to be honest.
I do have certain doubts regarding G-Sync while playing at resolution that's not my monitor's native one.

Maybe if I disabled 144hz and other related options in the Nvidia Control Panel, I could run it as smooth as I think it should.

Will have a proper look at it tomorrow.

What frame rates you got?
Mention cutscene and gameplay frame rates seperately.

Also, the following settings are performance killer:

TAA
Motion Blur

What frame rates you got?
Mention cutscene and gameplay frame rates seperately.

I didn't check FPS because what was happening annoyed the hell out of me! Will check today and report.

Also, the following settings are performance killer:

TAA
Motion Blur

I know, but surely my rig can handle that! (look at my signature).
I've played many more CPU-demanding games all maxed out (Watch Dogs 2, Hitman, Mafia III, GTA V, all with the max available settings), even for settings and post-fx that PES even have options for, with no problem whatsoever.
That's what made me think about the G-Sync/V-Sync/144hz possibility.
It was just a FPS loss, it was a BAD performance of the game itself. Choppy, stuttery, skipping FPS. I don't know...

Just had a very physical CL game against the AI, where they seem to be fouling for fun. I lost but it was worth it just to see how aggressive the Ai can be on rare occasions.

I've had a few of those in the last few days. Like 3 or 4 fouls. Against smaller EPL teams.
Not in a derby, not in an important match, but against Bournemouthm and West Ham for example.

I know 3 or 4 is probably not enough for many of you. But it felt like a fair amount for a 20 minutes match.

I didn't check FPS because what was happening annoyed the hell out of me! Will check today and report.

I know, but surely my rig can handle that! (look at my signature).
I've played many more CPU-demanding games all maxed out (Watch Dogs 2, Hitman, Mafia III, GTA V, all with the max available settings), even for settings and post-fx that PES even have options for, with no problem whatsoever.
That's what made me think about the G-Sync/V-Sync/144hz possibility.
It was just a FPS loss, it was a BAD performance of the game itself. Choppy, stuttery, skipping FPS. I don't know...

That's the problem. You don't check your frame rates.

1) Watch Dogs 2, Hitman, Mafia III doesn't stutter horribly if your FPS drops belo 60. The mouse does suffer from unsmoothness when FPS is not a multiple of 15 but that's another thing.

2) PES 18 seems to stutter badly if you drop below 60 FPS. Unless it's 30 FPS or 60 FPS, the game stutters like shit.

So even if those games dropped below 60 FPS, you wouldn't notice much jerkyness. But PES 18 would go crazy.

Now, what do you mean by max settings? You maxed out Anti Aliasing all way up in other games too?

TAA causes minimum of 15 FPS to as high as 30 FPS drop. Just because you got a 1080 Ti, doesn't mean it will handle everything maxed out lol. Just switch to FXAA and it will do a decent job at 4k.

And since I checked only 30~75 FPS, I can't tell if PES 18 will stutter even at 90 or any other FPS above 75. It stutter at 50 FPS which shouldn't be the case [Especially when you set Refresh rate to 50Hz], so it can definitely stutter at 90 FPS.

That's the problem. You don't check your frame rates.

1) Watch Dogs 2, Hitman, Mafia III doesn't stutter horribly if your FPS drops belo 60. The mouse does suffer from unsmoothness when FPS is not a multiple of 15 but that's another thing.

2) PES 18 seems to stutter badly if you drop below 60 FPS. Unless it's 30 FPS or 60 FPS, the game stutters like shit.

So even if those games dropped below 60 FPS, you wouldn't notice much jerkyness. But PES 18 would go crazy.

Now, what do you mean by max settings? You maxed out Anti Aliasing all way up in other games too?

TAA causes minimum of 15 FPS to as high as 30 FPS drop. Just because you got a 1080 Ti, doesn't mean it will handle everything maxed out lol. Just switch to FXAA and it will do a decent job at 4k.

And since I checked only 30~75 FPS, I can't tell if PES 18 will stutter even at 90 or any other FPS above 75. It stutter at 50 FPS which shouldn't be the case [Especially when you set Refresh rate to 50Hz], so it can definitely stutter at 90 FPS.

I think I found where my problem was.
In the NVidia Control Panel, when you enable DSR, there's another option to smoothen the new virtual resolution (or something like that). I think I set that too high.

I think I found where my problem was.
In the NVidia Control Panel, when you enable DSR, there's another option to smoothen the new virtual resolution (or something like that). I think I set that too high.

You set it to 100%? Cause I tested 60% once and it had no noticeable difference compared to 11% smoothness.

Personally, I prefer to keep smoothness at either 11/22 or 33% depending on games I play.

Just because you got a 1080 Ti, doesn't mean it will handle everything maxed out lol. Just switch to FXAA and it will do a decent job at 4k.

But, as far as I know, PES asks for a 2GB graphics card, and 8GB of RAM memory.
I have 5.25 times that graphics cards, and twice as much RAM. That's exactly why I said I should play PES at 4K with everything maxed out from within the game, and from Nvidia's Control Panel too, with absolutely no problem.

I would understand if the game recommended specs were a 8GB graphics card and 16GB RAM, I wouldn't be have too much advantage in that case. I would be good enough to play the game at my native resolution, with everything set to the highest settings ingame, but I wouldn't mess too much with anything else.

Two completely different scenarios.

But, as far as I know, PES asks for a 2GB graphics card, and 8GB of RAM memory.
I have 5.25 times that graphics cards, and twice as much RAM. That's exactly why I said I should play PES at 4K with everything maxed out from within the game, and from Nvidia's Control Panel too, with absolutely no problem.

I would understand if the game recommended specs were a 8GB graphics card and 16GB RAM, I wouldn't be have too much advantage in that case. I would be good enough to play the game at my native resolution, with everything set to the highest settings ingame, but I wouldn't mess too much with anything else.

Two completely different scenarios.

DGCrhPKXsAAtaGy.jpg-large.jpeg

The recommended settings were for the target resolution of 1920x1080. And we don't even if the target Framerate was 60 or 30 FPS for the cutscenes. Also, like I said TAA completely butchers framerates.

You still haven't told me the framerate you're getting. Neither you answered what amount of Anti Aliasing you've used in other games and what FPS you're getting in those games.

DGCrhPKXsAAtaGy.jpg-large.jpeg

The recommended settings were for the target resolution of 1920x1080. And we don't even if the target Framerate was 60 or 30 FPS for the cutscenes. Also, like I said TAA completely butchers framerates.

You still haven't told me the framerate you're getting. Neither you answered what amount of Anti Aliasing you've used in other games and what FPS you're getting in those games.

I am at work bro. I will be able to tell you in about 6 hours or so.

About the AA settings in other games, I usually always set them to the maximum each game allows me (8x or 16x?).
In Hitman, I get 144fps, usually I get drops to 140fps, but very rarely.

The last COD was awesome, never felt a any FPS loss or bad performance. Steady 144FPS.

The same for GTA V.

@Sami 1999

Here's my current profile for PES 2018 in Nvidia's Control Panel.
I will try now to set 4K Resolution again, with lower DSR smoothness (20%).
And I will try not to force G-Sync on it this time.

Attachments

• NVIDIA.jpg
    NVIDIA.jpg
    233.7 KB · Views: 20
Just as I thought, changing the very last setting of Nvidia's Control Panel, in the PES 2018 profile, where it says "Monitor Technology" from G-Sync to 'Fixed refresh" (I don't know how it's called in English), made it run at steady 62fps in both gameplay and cinematics.

I also lowered DSR Smoothness to 20%, but I don't know if that changed anything.

Ahh where to start.. lots to tell but ill try to keep it structured and constructive.
To begin with, ive been playing pes, like a lot of u here, from back in the day iss.. then on to Pes
Had them on console before switching over to PC from Pes 14.

That being said, i know the struggle on PC.
Playing an equal or even better looking version to consoles now, wow, finally!
It has never looked this good and its about goddamn time.
Ive been lurking around on these forums every year for patches, mod files tactics and general consensus about the games good and bad points.
PC is for me way to go because of the modders improvements (DrdoomUK, Fruits etc, great stuff).
Like all new releases, ive been playing this almost every day for a lot of hours.
I play mostly with my homeclub, PSV , which means u getting spanked a lot when playing higher diff or online :).
But thats fine i like the underdog challenge its tradition for me to get the most out of it.

Ive read most comments on this and xb1 ps4 forums, seen trolls, regulars and vets going all over the place with opinions, which is fine on a forum, so ill stick to my own experiences.
Im going to keep it focussed on the offline part, as i have to start online stuff yet. I usually play SS before 18, now its a mix of SS & TP (more about that below).

After 2 weeks of intense playing and fiddling (120 + hours), the good stuff:

- Graphically and animation wise leaps ahead of pes 17
- Satisfying and intuitive Passing experience (helped by lots of extra kicking and curling animations)
- Offensive A.I. improved a lot
- Highly addictive ( in top 3 of all Pes, ISS), when it clicks it clicks in a major way like i have not
experienced in a long time (im 36 btw).
- Keepers! . It has been said a lot , some still disagree, but in general a huge leap (Pun intended!) :)
- Dribbling & Physique representation is more fluid and better then ever before.

I have all these above points in very high regard for rating my general Pes experience and these for the most part outshine most of the flaws in PES 18, its great, but to be brilliant
they should STRONGLY need to re-address the following issues.

- Difficulty balancing:
Superstar is broken. Especially on Full Manual, which ive tried extensively after day 2 the game came out. Full Manual SS is nothing short of Sado Masochism imo.
As PSV, Ive been playing countless Barca , Borrusia Dortmund and Ajax Rival matches.
Ive been checking Matt10 videos and setup tactics, def line / wing back / etc/ , manual marking, close marking adv. , changed to 532, 433 442 451, ive played exhibition and started league seasons multiple times to quit them after a few games of being murdered by every team.
Brooklow PEU team(!) champions league qualifyer was the worst game ever.

Im not the best player but i know how to hold my ground, use r2 and the occasional trick, its just not done. Ai has kryptonite in almost every league and especially when their attack lvl is Red, which is almost always the case.
Full Manual Top player is almost the same with 0,2 second longer decision making by AI each move. Konami, why do u script the AI to be even harder for Full manual ? Hope theyll fix it some day. I really started to like Full manual but since a few hours i went back to PA1 because i lost enjoyment out of PES 18;
Lol though, as soon as i dropped to PA1 and TP, i spanked Barca 5-1 and on SS 2-0;).
* On TP/SS i find it almost easy now, which is bad but at least the fun is back. *

- Defensive A.I.
Its not Terribad but especially the wingbacks/Fullbacks need better default marking of wingers.
With adv. instructions in concert with marking the supply lines and star Ai players, in PA1 its at least manageble to have decent defense.
Ive also noticed not a lot difference in low or high def. line settings. Still experimenting on it.
Also scrimmages and high balls into the box are problematic in some instances.
Keepers will run out with Y button but either stop their movement or start the wrong animation which profits the attackers.Defenders need better defensive awareness and need to react more and sooner to balls being passed really close to them. At least its getting fixed a bit with DP1.

- Cursor switch
Very chaotic and frustrating at times, especially with the defenders sometimes unaware of nearby ball movement. Selecting defender just behind the attacker to tug shirt and disposess has cost me alot of games. At least its getting fixed also.

- Pass assistance? Lol
Delete PA 2 & 3 if PA 1 is a Laser pass option already or, tone down PA1 so that it matches the Konami in game description of a "little"assistance ^^
And get rid of Kryptonite Superman Ai on the Full Manual, we are mere mortals :).
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Master League , i didnt try it yet. Ive read about the broken transfers and lack of innovation, which really saddens me. I will give it a try perhaps if they fix the (Full Manual SS TP) difficulty, else im not interested in being assraped by FC Noname OVR rating 40. Maybe on PA1 SS/TP its manageble, ill have to check it out.

Tl;DR

I really really, like this game. As every year its a love hate thing. As always thats the blessing and curse of the underdog. Online can be maddening but also so dope with the right people and settings. But thats the charm of Pes. U have to make the best out of it yourself for the most part of u really down with this series. It has never gifted anything for free on a golden platter.
It will be the reason that i have not bought a Fifa game in 5 years and that it is, next to the occasional racing game, my only game in regular rotation for the last 17+ years.

And with the help of the modders and a bright light at some Konami devs, im sure this, against all odds, will still be the best choice for the true football game addict.

Bless and thanks for reading , Modizzle

PS: if u want to play Full manual or co op, add me on steam : DaMoDaFire, Eindhoven

Last edited:
Oo about the commentary and sound;

I would really recommend to download the chants cpk pack in Pes 18 Edit forum, it adds a lot of personality and does a pretty decent job of extra immersion.
If u dont mind foreign language.. The Argentina commentary is pretty nice ( Gol Gol Gol Gol Golaazzzoooo... ) Or the Japanse "Shutooo" , "Neh" haha brilliant stuff even though i know shit theyre saying..

O PS: some laziness on Konami side as well, anyone else noticed there is a lot of differences in the detail of commentary lines between languages? For example, The English and most Spanish languages dont mention the PSV player callnames, except, the Mexican language lol. Must be of Guardado and Moreno in PSV
the last couple of years.
And the Japanese, which is the most varied one in general, perhaps give it a try u will see what i mean. A general indication is the files.. Japanese by far the biggest with 900 + mb compared to English 600 & 350 to 450 for most others.

Commentary size does not mean much. Recording quality alone can double the size of higher quality.

Interesting, looking at it in from a consistency perspective.

I dunno the correlation between size and or variety and quality, I did notice there is a difference in certain languages and the amount of player names being called out.

For some reason Konami uses different standards for different languages. Why they didnt record the same lines for all is a bit of a mystery for me. I downloaded other ones because like many I cannot stand those corny lines anymore from Peter and Jim..

Anyone guys can teach me how to make good crosses on manual passing? It is difficult and the only thing I miss from pass assistance like level 1!

Oo about the commentary and sound;

I would really recommend to download the chants cpk pack in Pes 18 Edit forum, it adds a lot of personality and does a pretty decent job of extra immersion.
If u dont mind foreign language.. The Argentina commentary is pretty nice ( Gol Gol Gol Gol Golaazzzoooo... ) Or the Japanse "Shutooo" , "Neh" haha brilliant stuff even though i know shit theyre saying..

O PS: some laziness on Konami side as well, anyone else noticed there is a lot of differences in the detail of commentary lines between languages? For example, The English and most Spanish languages dont mention the PSV player callnames, except, the Mexican language lol. Must be of Guardado and Moreno in PSV
the last couple of years.
And the Japanese, which is the most varied one in general, perhaps give it a try u will see what i mean. A general indication is the files.. Japanese by far the biggest with 900 + mb compared to English 600 & 350 to 450 for most others.
Arabic commentary is the best for me ( last year I used Argentina one ).
Anti-aliasing seems to not be working, aliasing everywhere.

Sorry to come again with the following, but it can be important for your PC: I placed a post in the Option File topic but nobody responsed to it.

Below is a screenshot from a messege I get everytime when I want to download any file from MediaFire!
It is in Dutch and it says that my windows 10 is infected with 3 virusses. Two from malwareapplications and 1 fishing/spyware. Damage to the system is 28%
I cannot imagine I am the only one who get this message.

View attachment 1508

What do you guys think about this? Didn't you get this alert?

question: why no new stadium by editor this years???why no bernabeo no old traford and... can we have this stadium like last years?>

Back
Top Bottom