PES 2017 PlayStation & Xbox Discussion Thread

Good to see your breakdown of situations/placement and other gameplay physics Matt.
And just like you,I'm very exited about this release.
Didn't analyse the game that much,but felt very early on that this game is special.
Job well done Matt,think it's very important to get both facts and figures explained,not just our "gut feeling"
Hats off mate

Matt, this part of your brilliant post is enough for me. You are endorsing how I feel, a game that I cannot wait to play, train, understand and relearn.

Your posts and videos are so well done, you talk with football knowledge in a way that we can understand. Honestly, your efforts do not go unnoticed and I thank you for taking the time to do them.

:COOL:

You are not alone. He's speaking out of my heart.

Shame some users going after him with a folk. Let's call him Shrek! ;)

Just played against Boca on Top Player, me being A.Madrid, PA01 and manual shooting. Man they handed my ass to me on a plate both times. Talk about pressing me out of existence. I managed a few and rare sorties into their half and managed a delicious first time volley with Torres as I sprayed the ball in from the right. It bobbled a yard wide of the far post and I honestly couldn't have been happier to miss - it actually felt like I didn't do enough to get it on target and score.

This game is just sublime. It isn't perfect but that's like saying the chocolate cake is too sweet. Just eat up ffs!

Should this be a worry?? Played around 30 demo games and not had 1 injury to either team?
Also wish Konami would get rid of the "toe punt" pass, cross or shot.

Other than that it's a very good game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11B3DSf7FN0

Went ahead and uploaded a PA 0 match for those thinking of moving from PA 1. Sorry about the sloppy defending, I wasn't planning on uploading this at the time and I've mainly been focusing on the passing aspect of matches. Plus Corinthians aren't particularly threatening so I can get away with being all over the shop!

Last edited:
Some people might disagree here:

I played the demo today for another couple of hours and I have to say that one of the things I was quite worried about, really seems to be fine here.
I'm talking about the shooting.

I know a few of you think its overpowered, no trajectory etc.

But I have to say that all in all I'm fine with it and I rather wouldn't want it to be touched for the full game instead of screwing it up by toning it down or whatever.

Among the players it makes a difference for me whether I take a shot with Schweinsteiger or Khedira.
A shot from out of the box with Schweinsteiger (long ranger, kicking power 88) definitvely feels harder than a shot with Khedira (kicking power 73).
I even feel a difference between Schweinsteiger and Kroos, who is a long ranger as well but doesnt have as much kicking power.

Also when I watch the replays of those shots, the ball flies nice curves so trajectory is there.

Playing manual passing, -1 speed and basic shooting.

also shot speed varies with camera settings on my camera setting it doesn't look as fast

I dont agree. With a game that has so much depth also where headers, r2 shots, volleys, first time shots have such depth...from the ground shooting should have aswell.
I have more fun putting Matip up front and shoot w him in Barca. With his 55 finishing at least i see 4 different shots out of 20.

Shooting is really out of context here. Lvl 1 passing is still acceptable i would say.

Finding it very difficult to score on manual on Superstar . .have had some great games as Boca against all the other teams . .Im using Osvaldo up front and he's a great target man, causes a lot of havoc . .had Athletico and Barca in my back pocket but the finishing ain't happening . .it's a bummer when you really create a great opening and the shot goes straight to the keeper.. . .Kante scored an absolute screamer from outside the box against me .. . .it nearly pulled the goal frame down.

Just played against Boca on Top Player, me being A.Madrid, PA01 and manual shooting. Man they handed my ass to me on a plate both times. Talk about pressing me out of existence. I managed a few and rare sorties into their half and managed a delicious first time volley with Torres as I sprayed the ball in from the right. It bobbled a yard wide of the far post and I honestly couldn't have been happier to miss - it actually felt like I didn't do enough to get it on target and score.

This game is just sublime. It isn't perfect but that's like saying the chocolate cake is too sweet. Just eat up ffs!

Hi bluewomble, I'm pleased you are enjoying it. Are you finding it more difficult all of a sudden? Because earlier like me you said the CPU wasn't attacking enough. I was finding it easy but now I can't score and the CPU is hammering me.

What settings are you on?

Should this be a worry?? Played around 30 demo games and not had 1 injury to either team?
Also wish Konami would get rid of the "toe punt" pass, cross or shot.

Other than that it's a very good game.

Injuries are switched off. Should be able to switch them on in settings.

BTW I am not sure if this is a thing but in one of my matches I scored a goal making it 2-1 and I ran and pressed square. My striker, instead of thumping it into the net picked up the ball to get back for the kick off old PES style. Someone else try it and see.

This is in PES 2016, you probably just ran onto the ball and the pick up ball thing triggered before you managed to press square.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hESRNKXemyQ

This is exactly what I meant.

Now I need to preface this by saying I do think this years implementation is 17x's that of last years. But Barca are FARRR too direct in this game. ALL possession based teams are far too direct. Look at the possession stats at the end of the game. And this is a game in which he got dominated.

51-49. Full manual. Barca in form. Superstar difficulty. I really want this to be improved before the final release of the game, and sadly I think I'm the only person who feels this way :COAT:

Last edited:
I don't think it takes months to learn how to play PA 0. That was my fear based on a brief attempt at it on Superstar, and based on my experience of FIFA manual resulting in less sophisticated football. But in truth, unless my occasional foray into FIFA manual has made a huge difference, I was able to put some great stuff together within a few games of playing.

I'll try and upload some example snippets of me playing manual passing later (with 0 game speed, advanced through balls, currently assisted shooting too as I don't feel that assisted shooting is a big deal at the moment - it just needs to be far more varied, possibly to depend more on timing as well as body position). I'll be happy to upload a full match soon, I just want a bit more practice first.

I only really had 4 hours or so with it yesterday so I still occasionally screw up a really basic pass, or I get a bit too casual and switch off, or I get a bit flummoxed by the crossing / advanced through ball which I rarely use. But I do genuinely feel like, most of the time, I'm not losing time because I'm more hesitant to pass (as I would be in FIFA), but more like I can be specific about where I want the ball to go, how I want the other player to receive it. I thought for all the world it'd feel like my passing would be dumbed down and players would be chasing loose passes all over the shop, but it really isn't the case most of the time for me.

The main difficulty is playing those really short passes - little lay-offs to teammates, a couple of yards or so. I think this is where advanced through balls come in, but it's not coming to me naturally just yet.

If you're learning it's essential you bump the difficulty down, even if it just means for the first 5-10 games the opposition are essentially mobile traffic cones for you to practice avoiding. I'm using Professional where on PA 1 I was using Superstar/Top Player, and I feel like by the end of tonight I'll be back up to Top Player.

It makes it all the more frustrating that PA 1 isn't just a slightly more guided version of PA 0. PA 0 and PA 1 feel like completely different games entirely. My biggest gripe with the passing in PA 1 (besides the lack of inaccuracy) is that the players won't alter the direction of a pass to go around someone who's in the way, even if you're clearly pressing to pass through that gap instead of directly to your target. You can either make a pass or you can't. Even in PS1, P2 era PES, the passer would avoid passing straight to a defender. The attacking team would keep possession but the defending team could slow a move down, or make the resultant pass loose enough for a second defender to intercept.
Absolutely no idea why they got rid of pes 2015's level 1 passing. And absolutely no idea why they got rid of one of the 3 crossing options in O, OO and OOO to just O and OO. I will never understand why they change things that work perfectly.

Hi bluewomble, I'm pleased you are enjoying it. Are you finding it more difficult all of a sudden? Because earlier like me you said the CPU wasn't attacking enough. I was finding it easy but now I can't score and the CPU is hammering me.

What settings are you on?

I don't really know what to say. I can still take the ball off the AI sometimes a bit too easily but this time they had more variety and a higher killer instinct. Maybe it was the differences between the two teams' formations - try the same sides on Top Player and see what you think.

I'm playing with manual shooting, everything else assisted 1, 10 minute match, dry with short grass. I really must learn manual shooting - I'm so used to 10 years of PES 6 where I'd hold the stick up whilst shooting as a cross came in to aim for that corner with headers. Now some shots are going out for throw ins because of this habit. It'll come eventually.

I'm now pretty convinced the variations in AI are simply down to it being an exhibition game. I'm not going to waste energy searching for faults - I'm enjoying the game and that's what matters.

Maybe we can finally get a game sorted out online?

I know this might be the honeymoon phase but I have never enjoyed playing the CPU this much (Always played PES against friends then online when we all got older with families and blah, blah, blah).

I have really tried to play max 2-3 games per day (and some days not touching at all) so that it will be fresh on the 15th.

Like I wrote yesterday, really hoping to play against u lot in Online Divisions with manual settings!

I've given this demo a fair crack of the whip but it's just not for me.

I had a session last night and I just find it so boring on Superstar.

It feels like an attack vs defence simulator as the AI is so easy to dispossess.

Add in the frankly appalling referees and there's no fun factor for me - I could see myself getting bored with the full game very quickly.

The biggest and the most basic issue is that AI plays too direct it is as if all AI teams are on counter.Each one of them.How can you have 60 % possession as boca against barca or arsenal on manual on superstar .Its basics.All AI teams play essentially the same way.Its like different days of rains.Where as what is required is different days of different weather.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've given this demo a fair crack of the whip but it's just not for me.

I had a session last night and I just find it so boring on Superstar.

It feels like an attack vs defence simulator as the AI is so easy to dispossess.

Add in the frankly appalling referees and there's no fun factor for me - I could see myself getting bored with the full game very quickly.

I played 20 games on superstar, conceded 2 identical set piece goals and had 3 shots on target against me in all 20 games !

I'm getting bored seeing the same old move from the AI, which I'm pretty sure is present since PES 2015 :

corner kick, ball punched by the keeper > volley attempt from the AI. Systematically.

back from holiday and have been playing the demo again on superstar, it's definitely more challenging than top player so i'm not too worried about that anymore, gone to PA0 as well which i feel is a necessity.

Only thing that is frustrating me now is that this game is clearly geared up for longer match lengths, this encourages the slower build up play and give you more time to think about tactical settings and using them more appropriately. 10 minutes just isn't enough time to switch to say, all out attack in the last 5mins of the game as that 5mins goes by too quickly.

i think i'll be going 15 min matches when the full game comes out!

Back
Top Bottom