PES 2016 News & Discussion Thread

Hi Chris, did you manage to play all the PES' in one night? :P

Right so after having a few games on PES2013, and initially starting to like it again. There was a few things happening that reminded me of why I stopped playing it.

First of all, I have a corner and Lamela is taking it. It's a bit rubbish so Bournemouth are breaking, and I notice Eriksen is in the LB position. Why is he there? Then another time, Townsend who I have positioned as RMF appears in the LB position too. I know Rose bombs up the wing sometimes but that is something that used to irritate me.

Second, the cursor change is annoying when defending so that may be what I have often viewed as scripting. I was attempting to block out the regular through ball that Bournemouth were playing. One got through so I pressed to select my next defender but it went to one further away. That allowed them to shoot and score.

Third, no acceleration. Players speed are different but the acceleration is not there. Not a big problem but it adds to the annoyance.

So I put PES2015 and had a quick go and I actually found that I enjoyed it more than 2013. The cursor change is more responsive, the AI plays differently (not constant through balls). The acceleration is there.

The only problem is the shooting, it is slightly over powered even on manual. If PES2015 had PES 2013 shooting it would be a classic.

I don't understand some people here. If you love pes 5/6, why not go back playing it ? I mean, i don't want to oblige myself to play newer games just because they are newer. There are so many patches on this forum for pes 6 (mainly, also a few for pes5), that make this game so good and updated 10 years after his initial release !

The best PES games (PES 2013, 5, 6) Will probably be patched constantly for the next 10 years more!

Hi Chris, did you manage to play all the PES' in one night? :P

Right so after having a few games on PES2013, and initially starting to like it again. There was a few things happening that reminded me of why I stopped playing it.

First of all, I have a corner and Lamela is taking it. It's a bit rubbish so Bournemouth are breaking, and I notice Eriksen is in the LB position. Why is he there? Then another time, Townsend who I have positioned as RMF appears in the LB position too. I know Rose bombs up the wing sometimes but that is something that used to irritate me.

Second, the cursor change is annoying when defending so that may be what I have often viewed as scripting. I was attempting to block out the regular through ball that Bournemouth were playing. One got through so I pressed to select my next defender but it went to one further away. That allowed them to shoot and score.

Third, no acceleration. Players speed are different but the acceleration is not there. Not a big problem but it adds to the annoyance.

So I put PES2015 and had a quick go and I actually found that I enjoyed it more than 2013. The cursor change is more responsive, the AI plays differently (not constant through balls). The acceleration is there.

The only problem is the shooting, it is slightly over powered even on manual. If PES2015 had PES 2013 shooting it would be a classic.

Check the 'Position Switch' slider tactics, if its very high Between 14-20 it means players switch positions regardless of how it suits the player. I remember this distinctly from PES 2011 where I was developing the Barcelona tactic and they kept losing because they kept switch positions which didn't suit the players.

Check the 'Position Switch' slider tactics, if its very high Between 14-20 it means players switch positions regardless of how it suits the player. I remember this distinctly from PES 2011 where I was developing the Barcelona tactic and they kept losing because they kept switch positions which didn't suit the players.

I will check, thanks Klash. :)

Last post on this, as I am fully aware I'm in the wrong thread but just a continuation of what we've been talking about.

Just had another rip roaring game on Pes6 PC. The game after the last post was against Man City. All the top players were shagged, Gerrard, Suarez, Downing. Had an injury from the game and a sending off so had to change 5 players. In comes the likes of Pacheco, Borini, Cole, Sterling. I thought here we go, hammering.

Man City took the lead on 24 with a brilliant Ballotelli strike which they held to 87. Last throw of the dice, I counter them after they sloppily broke a move down in midfield and little Joe Allen (with blond hair mind) goes into the box. Just as he comes back on himself, the experienced Kompany leaps in and catches the trailing leg...penalty.

With all the players knackered and Cole on pen duty I quickly check the player stats; I couldn't get this wrong. Nobody had the pen star, so it was down to who had the best shooting accuracy and technique. I went for Borini. Up he steps. Joe Hart stretches his arms trying to put him off, Borini wrong foots him though and he is left stranded in the middle as Borini arrows one into the corner!!!!

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS 1-1. They pile forward in an act of desperation, but I see out the remaining 2 minutes. It's a draw. A 1-1 draw, with a depleted side. And this feels like the biggest win of the day.

These are the moments what made this game great. These are the moments that the new games just can't replicate. 4 yellows in the game, more or less even split in possession, 20 minute game, 1-1. What can you say.

PS. City kicked me off the park too, it was one of those niggly games and Toure kicked anything that moved. Great stuff.

If people are playing the old games then PES 3 shouldn't be forgotten.

In my opinion, it did things better than either PES 5 or 6. Such as:

All round better ball physics. The way the ball bobbles and bounces around the pitch looks more realistic.
Shots and passes in PES 5 can be a bit overpowered, while in PES 6 shots can be a bit floaty.
PES3 is particularly good at volleys (overheads, scissors kicks etc) and also in the heading department - diving headers or clearing headers - it all feels very contextual. In PES 5 & 6 it feels too controlled, especially headed passes.

Animations. PES 6 is a bit too clunky. PES 3 is a smoother experience.

More realistic set pieces. In PES 3 your players will attack the ball better if you get a free kick and lob it into the box. In the others your players kind of loiter on the edge of the box.

Keeper kicks outs. Some keepers can kick the ball 3/4 the length of the pitch. This is good for counter attacks and long-ball tactics.

Keeper punches. In PES 3 the keeper will punch the ball away from goal. In PES 6 a keeper will punch a ball directly up in the air, and then catch it himself when it comes down.

Once you get over the dated graphics, PES 3 looks good in the day time and at night, and in the sunshine or rain. Shadows are not intrusive.

Best camera angle. PES 3 on wide with an angle of 9 is the best camera view in the whole series.

Things the other two do better

PES 5 has the R2 side-foot shot, and better long range shooting. It also has dynamic subs. So the COM will bring on a forward in the last ten mins if it needs a goal, or bring on a defender if it's protecting a lead. That doesn't happen in PES 3.

In PES 6 the COM will pass the ball a bit more, and the ref will give out yellow and red cards when appropriate. The advantage rule is implemented perfectly.

Goddamn, 2010 Fifa World Cup South Africa is still so much, uncomplicated fun. Very easy to enjoy, no real annoying flaws as is the case with every PES released since the ps2 days. EA did good that one time. And the comp AI actually surprised me big time.

Also played some PES 2013 yesterday night with a friend and my brother. Some multiplayer matches. Multiplayer in PES 2013 is brilliant, lots of fun. Offline against the comp though it's tragic, very average. Doesn't matter what team you play, they always play the same boring, one dimensional attacking football; it annoys the **** out of me after a match or two. Klashman, you say otherwise and I respect that, but you're ****** wrong though :D ;)

Which PES 2013 patch are you using? Like i said tactics are everything for the AI man

Best modes: This is Football 2005
Best passing: PES 2011, PES 2013, Football Kingdom
Best through ball passing: 2010 Fifa World Cup South Africa
Best high passing: PES 2011, Fifa World Cup South Africa
Best shooting: PES 2013, followed by PES 3
Best goalnets: Football Kingdom, followed by 2010 South Africa (orgasmic sounds!)
Best defending mechanics: PES 2013
Best dribbling: PES 2014, PES 2012
Best (realistic) pace: PES 2014
Best midfield game: PES 2014
Best goalkeeping: 2010 South Africa (amazing goalkeepers, far better than in later Fifa games)
Best/most effective animations: PES 2014, 2010 South Africa
Most fun football games: ISS Pro Evolution Soccer 2 ps1, PES 3, 2010 South Africa, PES 2013, Football Kingdom
Most underrated football game: ISS 3 PS2
Worst football games: A lot of older Fifa games, Club Football, PES 2016, The Mission, a couple more

:D :P

The dribbling in PES 2011 was excellent, that's by far my favourite PES game (never played 2013/14 or 15).

It was also the last game with the wingback position.

No PES 5 on that list? :O

Pes 5 wins on "best defending mechanics" category by a loooooonnng shot.

For me it was the only football game that really forced to think how to steal the ball instead of just holding down pressure buttons + sprint and being overaggressive.

Pes 2011 demo was good at this also, but arcade lovers complained and they turned it down.

Last edited:
PES 5 is certainly a good game, but not as good as PES 3.

PES 3 > PES 5 :COOL:

I'd rate PES3 higher than PES 6 wich is a bit too overrated. Its mentioned as the best PES game ever far too often, wich is cleraly not (PES5 is better, at least for those who look for a more sim approach).

PES 3 and 5 were both the best PES games in Ps2 era for sure.

My experience so far: wether this game is too easy (even on superstar level and manual controls) or its jusg heavily scripted.

I find midfield on this game pretty much dead. When the game is too easy (non scripted), you dominate possession so easily, teams play all out defence and just wait for you to get close to the box, theres no marking/pressure on midfield from cpu, and cpu just try a very direct attack with long balls with e every team you play against.

When you feel the match has very scripting influence, there seem to be no conectoon between your midfield-defence and midfield-attack, very poor of th ball movement given no options to start the play from defence or organazing an attack (I feel like the wings are the only options my teammates give to me on attack), and CPU is always making a through ball pass or a loftd throuh ball in the middle of you defence and scoring from that so easily.

Every League seems to have that same shit in wich you win tons of matchs straight and out of nowhere the matchs become heavily scripted.

To sum up everything, the game is poor, worse than PES 2015. It seems to me that, gameplay wise, this year Konami only cared about building a new collision system (wich is the only very positive change on Pes 2016 tbh) and making the game feel faster and responsive, wich for it isnt something positive, its very subiective.

With all the players knackered and Cole on pen duty I quickly check the player stats; I couldn't get this wrong. Nobody had the pen star, so it was down to who had the best shooting accuracy and technique.

If no pen star, I'd always pick the one with the highest FK (spot) stat :)

If no pen star, I'd always pick the one with the highest FK (spot) stat :)

For me i would also pick the player with highest shot accuracy. The problem i found in PES5 with penalties against the cpu is that if the cpu had brought a striker on for a defender in game, then the striker would be about 8th in line to take a penalty.

I'd rate PES3 higher than PES 6 wich is a bit too overrated. Its mentioned as the best PES game ever far too often, wich is cleraly not (PES5 is better, at least for those who look for a more sim approach).

PES 3 and 5 were both the best PES games in Ps2 era for sure.

If you talk about vanilla games, for sure pes 5 and 3 are better than pes 6. With the patches (firebird for example), not a chance, pes 6 is far better imo.

Whoa.. The last few pages have been an awesome read: more of a comparison between versions, and the best aspects of each game.
I actually played some pes2013 (pc) and as chris mentioned, a definite breath of fresh air.. the ai and variations are amazing. Its interesting actually (I didn't start playing full manual until last pes2014 so previously only played pes2013 with some assistance), but this week was the first time I played pes2013 on full manual passing and shooting - wow, the manual functionality works incredibly well. Not sure if its slightly assisted or the angles just work very well, but my passing percentage was much higher than playing pes2016 full manual. My shooting was also more accurate, particularly my headers. Takes a while (few split seconds) for the L2 arrow to turn on, where as this is so much more responsive on pes2016.

Anyways, there is no doubt pes2013 is a more polished pes. The overall variations in the game (animations, shooting, outcomes, ai etc) were the highlight for me. I guess that's because it was the last game of the ps3 generation. Ok, i know Pes 2014 was the last ps3 only pes, but for me it wasn't a ps3 game. The ps3 just didn't have the power to handle it or the programming was rushed - hence all the frame rate issues particularly on the cut scenes. I think would have been better suited to ps4. Just to finish on pes2013 though.. I have to say I really like that blur effect that some people have dissed. There was something about the colours and visuals used on pes2010-pes2013 that I loved. Looked heaps better than the new visuals introduced in pes14. So I liked pes2013, but would have liked it so much more if the player physics were better. This and the running animations.. just looks so awkward. Just looks so robotic, and there is no sense of acceleration in the running. You know .. the real leg pump action u saw in the ps2 version of the game, where although there were limited animations, the players actually looked like they were sprinting when you held down r1 or double tapped r1. Everything else, the manual passing and response time etc, was great in pes2013.

Pes2014.. for me best looking animation wise. Particularly the demo versions (there were 3 demos I think.. and one was a leak.. still have em all on my ps3). Played them the other day. As everyone knows the issue was the response time. Interestingly enough, when the final version came out, I remember that, yes the response times were slightly fixed, but this was in expense of some of the animations. Yeah, it seems they took away some of the animation transitions (frames) to fix the response times, hence making the animation sequences quicker, but less smoother as a result. That's why the demo looks good (smoother than the original), but plays bad. Also I remember when pes14 actually came out, there was a slowdown issue when too many players where in the box... hence I always played in free training 11 v11, as this was the best way to play pes14. The final few patches fixed this issue however introduced overpowered shooting. Btw, best way to play pes14 is via pc as its in 1080p (+ sweetfx for colour enhancement)looks so much better than ps3 720p version. Shooting around in free training mode, in full manual, makes me think that this game has one of the best ball physics of any of the pes's. The sound of the contact with ball adds to this as its different to pes15/16.

Im gonna skip pes15, as I think pes16 is an improved version. Although ive loved the game for many months, im the same as most of you, discovering the many negatives that even edits wont fix - the big one: total lack of variation particularly with finishing. Realistically itd be at about 10% of what you'd see in a game like pes5/pes6. I have to say though, the reason ive enjoyed pes2016 so much is the fact that technically its a very good game. By that i mean the response, and well you can control your players including the manual passing and shooting. Long balls, crossing, and yeah even dribbling (despite the animations in gradual increments of speed) are a joy control-wise. Fix the variation issues(implement the variations seen in previous version eg. pes3,5,6,13), the computer ai (implement varied real life defence and attack strategies), foul outcomes (pes5,6 and13 were perfect), and finally some animations (running/sprinting as well as proper follow throughed side footed passing/shooting), and then we'll have a winner.

finally, just wanted to share which games I though had the better flow. I know you have all the patch versions of pes5/6 on pc, and yeah they are great - pes5 particularly has a great momentum about it. Ball bobbles in passing, where as its very flat on the ground in pes6 - slowing the momentum a bit. But, I have to say for me the ps2 versions flow the best, particularly the winning eleven versions. WE2007Club Championship was one of the best for me..basically the most updated version of pes6 there was. It came out just after we10JL. In terms of building on pes6 though, I have to say for me the most complete version ever was..... WE2009JL.. not sure how many of guys played this, but it had amazing variations. WE2010JL was ok, but for some reason there was an introduction of slowdown in the box... didn't occur in we2009JL. after this we2011,2012/13/14 were pretty much all the same.. all just updated kits etc, but no real change, and all having the slowdown in the box at various times.

Btw, Id also like to mention the wii versions of pes. Quite a bit different to the ps2 versions. Similar in some ways, particularly the way the games flowed (nice), but pes2011/12/13 incorporated 360 movement for the first time. Actually more like 16way instead of 8. I wouldn't say the wii versions were better than the earlier ps2 versions (some people do), but they did have a similar flow and weighty feel that the ps2 versions offered. The variation in ai as well as ball physics are the things I particularly loved about these versions.

really went off on a tangent there..

.. best thing about pes5 and 6 on pc are the patches and how HD things actually look. Pes5 isn't that HD, but you can get Pes6 playing at 1080p and both games on a 16:9 screen ratio.

Apparently there is a widescreen fix for the ps2 versions, but ive never got into how to do it. But even at 4:3, I still prefer the ps2 version as they are the more advanced versions development wise. Btw, when I say pes5, im really talking about we9JL or we9LE which were the superior versions.

Whoa.. The last few pages have been an awesome read: more of a comparison between versions, and the best aspects of each game.
I actually played some pes2013 (pc) and as chris mentioned, a definite breath of fresh air.. the ai and variations are amazing. Its interesting actually (I didn't start playing full manual until last pes2014 so previously only played pes2013 with some assistance), but this week was the first time I played pes2013 on full manual passing and shooting - wow, the manual functionality works incredibly well. Not sure if its slightly assisted or the angles just work very well, but my passing percentage was much higher than playing pes2016 full manual. My shooting was also more accurate, particularly my headers. Takes a while (few split seconds) for the L2 arrow to turn on, where as this is so much more responsive on pes2016.

Anyways, there is no doubt pes2013 is a more polished pes. The overall variations in the game (animations, shooting, outcomes, ai etc) were the highlight for me. I guess that's because it was the last game of the ps3 generation. Ok, i know Pes 2014 was the last ps3 only pes, but for me it wasn't a ps3 game. The ps3 just didn't have the power to handle it or the programming was rushed - hence all the frame rate issues particularly on the cut scenes. I think would have been better suited to ps4. Just to finish on pes2013 though.. I have to say I really like that blur effect that some people have dissed. There was something about the colours and visuals used on pes2010-pes2013 that I loved. Looked heaps better than the new visuals introduced in pes14. So I liked pes2013, but would have liked it so much more if the player physics were better. This and the running animations.. just looks so awkward. Just looks so robotic, and there is no sense of acceleration in the running. You know .. the real leg pump action u saw in the ps2 version of the game, where although there were limited animations, the players actually looked like they were sprinting when you held down r1 or double tapped r1. Everything else, the manual passing and response time etc, was great in pes2013.

Pes2014.. for me best looking animation wise. Particularly the demo versions (there were 3 demos I think.. and one was a leak.. still have em all on my ps3). Played them the other day. As everyone knows the issue was the response time. Interestingly enough, when the final version came out, I remember that, yes the response times were slightly fixed, but this was in expense of some of the animations. Yeah, it seems they took away some of the animation transitions (frames) to fix the response times, hence making the animation sequences quicker, but less smoother as a result. That's why the demo looks good (smoother than the original), but plays bad. Also I remember when pes14 actually came out, there was a slowdown issue when too many players where in the box... hence I always played in free training 11 v11, as this was the best way to play pes14. The final few patches fixed this issue however introduced overpowered shooting. Btw, best way to play pes14 is via pc as its in 1080p (+ sweetfx for colour enhancement)looks so much better than ps3 720p version. Shooting around in free training mode, in full manual, makes me think that this game has one of the best ball physics of any of the pes's. The sound of the contact with ball adds to this as its different to pes15/16.

Im gonna skip pes15, as I think pes16 is an improved version. Although ive loved the game for many months, im the same as most of you, discovering the many negatives that even edits wont fix - the big one: total lack of variation particularly with finishing. Realistically itd be at about 10% of what you'd see in a game like pes5/pes6. I have to say though, the reason ive enjoyed pes2016 so much is the fact that technically its a very good game. By that i mean the response, and well you can control your players including the manual passing and shooting. Long balls, crossing, and yeah even dribbling (despite the animations in gradual increments of speed) are a joy control-wise. Fix the variation issues(implement the variations seen in previous version eg. pes3,5,6,13), the computer ai (implement varied real life defence and attack strategies), foul outcomes (pes5,6 and13 were perfect), and finally some animations (running/sprinting as well as proper follow throughed side footed passing/shooting), and then we'll have a winner.

finally, just wanted to share which games I though had the better flow. I know you have all the patch versions of pes5/6 on pc, and yeah they are great - pes5 particularly has a great momentum about it. Ball bobbles in passing, where as its very flat on the ground in pes6 - slowing the momentum a bit. But, I have to say for me the ps2 versions flow the best, particularly the winning eleven versions. WE2007Club Championship was one of the best for me..basically the most updated version of pes6 there was. It came out just after we10JL. In terms of building on pes6 though, I have to say for me the most complete version ever was..... WE2009JL.. not sure how many of guys played this, but it had amazing variations. WE2010JL was ok, but for some reason there was an introduction of slowdown in the box... didn't occur in we2009JL. after this we2011,2012/13/14 were pretty much all the same.. all just updated kits etc, but no real change, and all having the slowdown in the box at various times.

Btw, Id also like to mention the wii versions of pes. Quite a bit different to the ps2 versions. Similar in some ways, particularly the way the games flowed (nice), but pes2011/12/13 incorporated 360 movement for the first time. Actually more like 16way instead of 8. I wouldn't say the wii versions were better than the earlier ps2 versions (some people do), but they did have a similar flow and weighty feel that the ps2 versions offered. The variation in ai as well as ball physics are the things I particularly loved about these versions.

really went off on a tangent there..

Good stuff! Thanks for your thoughts. I ordered WE9I (cross between PES5/6) for my PS2 today will be arriving this week. Now I can better judge the PES 5 vs PES 6 debate or over in North America the WE9I vs WE Pro Evo 2007 debate lol

There is something so unique about those games. Its not just nostalgia. And I get peoples points with regards to going back. If I play PES 6 for a week by the end of it I'd get fed up with some of the tech and lack of passing variation and certain freedoms you can do in this day in age of football gaming. But those first few hours of playing old PS2 PES/WE when you haven't played those games in awhile is more enjoyable (not nostalgia) than at anytime I've played PES 2015-2016.

PES 3 was a superb game and might just be my fave of the 1-6 series it had nice graphics for the time very challenging gameplay vs CPU who would score all types of goals there was so much variation in that game for something so simple in movement

EDIT- just after making this post i played it on my PC as I have all the PES games on there from the past including WE6 on dolphin emulator and that was really enjoyable and crazy rome derby they battered me and 2 red cards for me and the CPU lol and their goal was put into the far TOP corner

3_Untitled.png

Last edited:
Had to laugh at this on the WENB site. Fully understand what the guy is saying as some have highlighted on here already but this really is one of my biggest gripes with Konami these days.

"You are right. the sad fact is KONAMI did not release a finished product. There is no excuse for that. Its a shambolic result once again. Everything from player stats to team tactics is pretty much abysmal for most teams.

however.....................

If, and its a big "IF"... you are willing to take the time to adjust and tweak player stats, assign the right player skills, change player cards, tweak COM play styles and adjust overall team tactics - you will have an enjoyable game."

Sooo....to recap. We have to change the formations, the players attributes, their cards and their positions and then have to assign the right skills and then adjust the COM styles too? Gotcha.

Now see, in the year 2016 I really don't want to have to be doing all this just as seconds after I've handed my day one 50 quid over. And this is a huge bug bear. Surely their should be someone designated to do the stats and stuff? I mean Jesus; why isn't it as simple as, 'right you - you're going to be doing the Premier League these next two days. Focus on that and get it done. You, you do Italy....' etc etc.

I mean fuck me if they couldn't be arsed to do it draft some people on here in that have the depth and knowledge of stuff like this. Ship them out there all expenses paid, GET IT DONE. It's just sloppy and unprofessional. I've no doubt that by changing everything around etc it will add to the experience. But in this day and age this should all be done, polished. It's ridiculous.

Konami, just give us a PES game that plays exactly like PES 2013 with a couple of improvements - better implemented acceleration for players, less shitty goalkeeper throws and shots, better corners, improved computer a.i and none of that magic rpg boots crap for people that care about Master League (I don't, but hey I'm throwing this one in for you guys!) - and I will be back to loving you unconditionally.

In short just give is PES 2013 on the new Fox Engine!

with all the new animations and physics we have seen between PES 2014-2015-2016.

Last edited:
I recommend this game, I play ISS series since ISS PRO 98, I played European PES 2014 and Winning Eleven 2014 both Asian and Japanese version. Japanese version without patches is the closest representation of the beautiful game. No region protection and English text and commentaries.

http://www.play-asia.com/world-soccer-winning-eleven-2014/13/706nyp

This is even better :D

http://www.play-asia.com/world-soccer-winning-eleven-2014-aoki-samurai-no-chousen/13/707mqd

Back
Top Bottom