PES 2015 Discussion Thread (PS4/XB1)

The FIFA engine in 2008/09 really was an innovation. The games weren't all that great back then, but the foot planting and non-clipping animations were fantastic for the time.

With all the hype regarding the 'Fox engine', it's strange how some elements are so similar to previous iterations.

The FIFA engine in 2008/09 really was an innovation. The games weren't all that great back then, but the foot planting and non-clipping animations were fantastic for the time.

With all the hype regarding the 'Fox engine', it's strange how some elements are so similar to previous iterations.
Agreed. For this new fabled engine, I really expected a lot more. Not PS2 hangovers. I understand they might want to go back to the good old days but crap animations, rails and lack of freedom isn't what I remember from the old days.

I expect I'll still pick this up but I also expect I'll get frustrated with it's flaws quicker than I will with FIFA's (Oh no, I said the 'other games' name. Will the bogeyman come and get me because I said a bad word in here?).

It's not. Awkward animations, on-rails feel, predetermined ball physics. PES hasn't fully detached itself from the PS2 generation.

Of course is. Pes 2014 has better collision system. In Fifa 08 collision system doesn't exist. Pes 2014 has better animations like better tackling animations, headers animations, running animations, better ball physics, better players models and many others stuff. Fifa 10 = Pes 2014 on technically departament.

Last edited:
Should (not could) be better at this stage. You can put it any way you want, PES 2015 is far from being a next gen game.

I prefer Fifa 15 but I play PES :THINK:

PES has its short comings technically when compared with FIFA, but you guys are making unfair comparison. There's things that FIFA does better gameplay wise and in a technical department, but there a lot more things that they do worse. Passing is miles worse, weight shifting when dribbling, AI, tactical depth and individuality to name a few. And these are all on the technical department.

Of course is. Pes 2014 has better collision system. In Fifa 08 collision system doesn't exist. Pes 2014 has better animations like better tackling animations, headers animations, running animations, better ball physics, better players models and many others stuff. Fifa 10 = Pes 2014 on technically departament.
You're implying that PES2014 was technically equivalent to a game released four years earlier. Thanks for sort of agreeing with me.;)

I just had my first free kick, over the bloody moon i am. This demo is the business and i feel great to have two good football games to play. NICE....

Hey guys,
Long time F*fa player. However much preferring the PES demo this year and going to make the big switch!!

Uploading vids from PS4 demo also if anyone interested, lots of live commentary etc.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLvlL2dGKxAq61iZTVbmpiw

Would love your opinions.

Will be sticking around here and getting involved as much as poss.

Thanks people, appreciate it :)

Nice video mate. Welcome here. Now we have a Zee and a Merv meister.:)

I played a match against my cousin.

He likes PES (he never buy fifa) but hes not actually a very good player, and he never played the demo until now. I played with passing on manual to have a more balanced game. I dominated ball possession and had many changes, in the end I won by 1-0. It was a good experience.

I wanted to teste myself on how good I can play on manual against an assisted player, but the real test would be if I played soemone who usually press a lot. Im not sure if I could keep ball possession and good accuracy on passes while being pressured.

I think PES2015 demo clearly not a finished product, there are some things here and there that need some tweaks, but for me personally it indeed has potential to be the best footy game in the last 6 years at least.

I´m just amazed that no one are speaking about a thing that really tells us the character of Konami every time their games receive backlash.

Last year they said us that the sluggish gameplay is like that due to limitations of the PS3, and yet this year what we all see its the same gameplay on both consoles PS3/PS4 with just a graphical upgrade and some features like better crowds etc..

So their were mocking us last year. The game is good i like it a lot but the fact is that its not that huge improvement that was asked and that was told it would be, and regard my expectations being low, still i expect much more in the overall package, they have more than time to put things like sound crowds and general presentation much much better and we are yet to see ONLINE, wich will be one of the most importante feature of this games year.

Whether we like it or not, FIFA is an overall better package with plug and play gameplay that entertain even if it dont have the depth of the PES gameplay but its still there, and the bling bling and attention to detail whether we wanted or not its the to gather even more costumers.

Lets wait for the later coming announcement of PES in the other aspects of the game...

Right so now I've actually played the demo, here are my initial impressions.

Visually it's very impressive - it's a big step up from PES 14 in that department so confused why some have labelled it as looking 'last-gen'. The lighting is stunning. Animations are generally more fluid, however some still have that old stiltedness to them. Dribbling is still too 'hunched' for my liking, but that's nit-picking.

Defending feels more limited then FIFA. There's a sense of getting your man in front of the ball, but the tackling itself feels automated and unsatisfying. I don't know when my man will activate his tackle animation or not, which feels unsatisfying. Often I feel even if I anticipate what the AI is about to do, I'm powerless to perform the defensive action in time to prevent it.

The pace of the game is very nice. I'm not hounded around the pitch on Superstar like in past games, while it still retains the challenge of maintaining possession higher up the pitch. The transition from defence to attack is more realistic then FIFA, allowing build-up play rather than the game simply being a series of counter-attacks.

Passing is adequate - through balls felt balanced and not abusive.

The physicality is lacking, a shame since this was one aspect PES 14 did well. I never really felt stronger players bully or shield the ball better than weaker ones, players like Llorente felt almost redundant because of that.

Dribbling I'm not much a fan of. This is one aspect that takes a while to master in any football game so I'll give it the benefit of the doubt. However, in terms of momentum shifting to beat players - I think FIFA has the edge on this. In FIFA I feel much more in control of the players touches. PES dribbling is much closer to the feet, and I can't seem to nick it past defenders like in older games of the series. It's almost as if the two games have swapped dribbling mechanics in recent years, as each used to be the opposite.

The team management screen is still obnoxiously clunky. It's designed really unintuitively and requires to many sub-menus to get where you want to be. I did like the distinction between formations for attacking and defending though.

Overall I'm pleasantly surprised. It's not yet convinced me to buy on release day, but I reckon I will probably pick it up around Christmas. Ultimately it comes down to whether there's hidden depth that becomes apparent the more you play.

Last edited:
Yup i cant wait to hear the announcements,
As for the people comparing engines and games with 4 years ago. From what i gather listening to kojima interviews, the pes team still do not know how to use the fox engine and are seriously lagging behind because of this,

When i look at the engine at work in mgs, i see the potential it has, but i think there is ingrained somewhere in the japanese culture, a fear of change and as such it is difficult for them to abandon their old ways of doing things.

I think that was the problem sea-bass had, he had a traditional way of looking at games , fine games should be "Fun" but more importantly the tech behind it has to improve along with it and that is the problem konami have.

I forsaw a lot of problems with pes 2015 because i just wasn't sure if the pes team would be technically capable of utilizing the engine but all these fears were allayed sortof, when i listened to one of Asim tanvir's interviews with Julien merceron, In case you guys dont know he was a former technology chief at square enix and i can understand exactly what is holding konami back.

He was handpicked by kojima to sort of instruct the team on how best to use the engine. I also discovered something very true and that is that the pes team are still building the football engine from the fox engine and as such new builds sortof are constantly coming out to enable the pes team acheive what they want to do more easily. That explains why there was such a jump from E3 to gamescom and why Asim was very surprised and thought it was a different game entirely.

As much as i feel butt-hurt about konami's PC decision, i feel it can only get better from here on out. The pes team want a dedicated football engine just like they had on the ps2 days, and the very sad truth is that they are still building it and that is why the game's visuals wont jump as high people expect and will only increase in terms of visuals very gradually as they get a newer build of the engine to enable more of the things they want.

Also people comparing to fifa and what not i feel fifa has been using practically the same engine since 08 and quite frankly it really is getting old as a result the good thing about fifa is that the engine was built specifically for 360 movement quite unlike the old pes engine.

I see it as a balance basically that is why pes 2010 was the best looking pes on the ps3 and all that stuff was toned down for pes 11 so basically, the pes team needs an engine that will allow for substantial increase in all departments.

For what its worth i see the potential in the pes engine and what it does well, its just that those animations are stitched together really horribly, and really needs to be looked at. I feel the animations in this new engine are more natural than that of ignite and I'm an animation freak,

not to say that the pes engine is not bad too , its just the least worse one of the too, but the actual stitching of the animation is what ignite engine does better and that is because of their inverse kinematics and the way they manipulate animations on the fly.

I still think the fox engine or pes engine is better in terms of the actual animations, physics engine although it is being poorly utilized, the graphics and the lighting. But Fifa has the advantage right now because what they have is a full football engine something that right now konami do not have.

In conclusion it can only get better from here on out just have a little patience.

Here is the interview if anybody cares to listen

http://winningelevenblog.com/blog/pes-2015-jon-murphy-julian-merceron-naoya-hatsumi-interview/

Is it me or are the headers really underpowered? I haven't scored a header yet, can't seem to get any power behind it.

Am I missing something?

Loving the R2 dribbling btw. It's a breath if fresh air. For those criticising the homing missile crosses and passes, turn the assists off. It's still assisted but feels so much more "free"

Engine is not so important if you're a bad driver #PESTeam

reverse-1269602956_dr-mccoy-and-captain-kirk-approve.gif

Will download the demo tonight, haven't played a PES game properly since 2011 sadly. I might have played 3 matches on 2014, thankfully it was a gift. Would be nice to have a game other than Battlefield and Destiny for the PS4 though.

To be fair I was one of those sad uni bellends that was able to dedicate every waking hour to building up a decent team in MLO. These days if you can't spend a solid 18 hours a day earning money and whatnot then you will never be competitive. Hopefully I will be unemployed soon so I can get my priorities in order.

Back
Top Bottom