PES 2014 Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
As a PS4 gamer I had no option but to buy FIFA14 which is great in some respects but just doesn't offer the fluidity and inviduality I seek for in a game, presentation and modes are great....doesn't help when the game becomse a bore after a few weeks or months.

I'm really hoping for PES to deliver with PES 2015 but there are so many things they need to add(more stadiums, faces, editabilty) that it is quite worrying. Luckily I guess gameplay has been good after the latest patch from what I could gather.

Anyway, quick question: Did they transfer the player individuality feature from PES2013 to 2014? Quite enjoyed it in 2014.

As a PS4 gamer I had no option but to buy FIFA14 which is great in some respects but just doesn't offer the fluidity and inviduality I seek for in a game, presentation and modes are great....doesn't help when the game becomse a bore after a few weeks or months.

I'm really hoping for PES to deliver with PES 2015 but there are so many things they need to add(more stadiums, faces, editabilty) that it is quite worrying. Luckily I guess gameplay has been good after the latest patch from what I could gather.

Anyway, quick question: Did they transfer the player individuality feature from PES2013 to 2014? Quite enjoyed it in 2014.

There is still plenty of individuality though just not the player ID Sergi Roberto and Isaac Cuenca are ripping up the Championship for Crystal Palace in my ML.

Roberto seems to have so much more time than anyone else in the midfield. I don't know how Konami have managed that. It may be down to his ball control

Player ID is partially there in PES 2014. Just look at Pirlo, Messi and Xavi, they have "their moves". I believe it will return in PES 2015. Probably lack of time was the reason for that feature to not be present in this year version.

Player ID is partially there in PES 2014. Just look at Pirlo, Messi and Xavi, they have "their moves". I believe it will return in PES 2015. Probably lack of time was the reason for that feature to not be present in this year version.

7 years, indeed it's the TIME...

They finally got a new engine, let see what they can offer us. If they give us a half ass game then it's a FACT that they are incompetent. But we shall see, if it gets better goalkeepers, beter gameplay, more modes etc. If it doesnt have rain or snow I am just going to laugh.

You people do realise goalkeepers are almost a non issue after the latest patch.

Better gameplay is subjective and I have to ask are you waiting for actual improvements or waiting to pick out anything wrong to label it a failure.

The chances of releasing a perfect game is impossible

I don't get how Konami are always under the kosh no matter what they do.

Sigh... this is the kind of thing that me cringe the most, the fact that Konami keep handling themselves the exact same way they always did this gen, even after the UK offices opened up.

Nothing suggests that PES2015 will be any different on what it wants to accomplish, no evidence of the dramatic "attitude adjustment" this franchise desperately needs, and the little to no effort on what they say when asked to talk about their product makes me wonder if they actually care about it or if the only important part is that something/anything gets released.

Sigh... this is the kind of thing that me cringe the most, the fact that Konami keep handling themselves the exact same way they always did this gen, even after the UK offices opened up.

Nothing suggests that PES2015 will be any different on what it wants to accomplish, no evidence of the dramatic "attitude adjustment" this franchise desperately needs, and the little to no effort on what they say when asked to talk about their product makes me wonder if they actually care about it or if the only important part is that something/anything gets released.

What do you want PES to transform into?
What is the dramatic attitude change you want? Are you talking about KONAMI lack of communication and understanding of fans or are you referring to the game quality?

To be honest i just want a great Pes game. Communication with fans is secondary when game quality is already there.

Anyway Pes already started a new part of it's life. It's a gradual change but you can already see it's different from Pes 2013 in many aspects. Change is happening...

Yes, it has many elements in common with Pes 2013, but you can't expect a completely new game in just one year.

Pes 2015 will have many Pes 2014 elements and other new gameplay mechanics but it will not be a revolution no matter what Hirano says, it's just obvious. Few developers, few time. I mean, come on, they released PC patch later because they didn't have time to release it with console patch and dlc

Those words are just stupid and i wish they were never pronounced because that only set up people for disappointment,i agree with you about that.

Last edited:
The two things are linked, the deficient product support and communication is similar to the feeling I get from the game, a dated, unfinished product with semi-functional mechanics and features.

The PES team can no longer blame it on the lack of resources/people. I don't expect anything groundbreaking but I do think there's only so much you can do when trying to restore an old house without bringing down the foundations.

And yeah, I do think the game needs new foundations, it does more things wrong than right, and we've seen enough attempts from Konami attempting to half-fix things.

The two things are linked, the deficient product support and communication is similar to the feeling I get from the game, a dated, unfinished product with semi-functional mechanics and features.

The PES team can no longer blame it on the lack of resources/people. I don't expect anything groundbreaking but I do think there's only so much you can do when trying to restore an old house without bringing down the foundations.

And yeah, I do think the game needs new foundations, it does more things wrong than right, and we've seen enough attempts from Konami attempting to half-fix things.

Communication with users and quality of the game are not necessarily linked.

There are plenty of great games created by developers without a single feedback from users.
Past Pes games were great, yet there was no feedback at all.

Foundations of Pes games are good and they have to stay the same imo, otherwise Pes would lose its identity; it's the systems they build upon it that are bad. Things like too much heavy players feeling, bad online, broken cursor change, bad goalkeepers, bad referreing have never been completely addressed with passing years, i agree, but Pes at core still plays a great football game. Look at CPU vs CPU matches and you will see that.
With all its broken system it's a much more faithful recreaton of football matches than Fifa.

Lack of developers is just their fault, it's true, but it seems they understood that, hence they are hiring more developers to help them since last year.

The most glaring issue in Pes actually it's the lack of resources and the failure to adapt to modern development teams schedule. That's when Pes went downhill.

They failed to understand that a next gen game needed more than a handful of developers.

Last edited:
Unfortunately that is exactly what I call 'classic Konami'; introducing a feature that is well-received only to leave it out in the next game.

And then, they are gonna bring it up again in the next PES, call it a shiny new feature, setting up a special marketing campagn and bringing out the trumpets and confetti for it.

The implemented momentum, ball physics, collision and AI pressure of this game is just faked difficulty, making the game harder for no apparent reason. Running momentum is an excuse to make my player(s) run along a railed predetermined path, meaning straight into the path of an opponent. The exaggeration physics of this game make it a laborious chores and constanly frustration, not an enjoyable experience any more. The only feeling I have when you play this game is blocking, obstacle, obstructions, tumbling, cul-de-sac at every turn, unstoppable railed running at every manoeuver.

Players in real life has more control over their momentum, body centre of gravity, stopping and taking evasive action than this infuriating game. I feel I have no control over my movement because of this exaggeration of realism, which is in fact a disgrace to the beautiful game of football.

My player run into an opponent and stop dead like hitting a brick wall, tumble and fall over for very little colision, being carried by opponents on their feet like a mannequin.

This is exactly how i feel about this game.
The physics engine is just killing everything, and the players take just too much time to slow down and stop.
Defending can be a chore, especially when it's all about pulling the right stick, holding x, bringing the CPU to press with square, sometimes you'll have to do all those things at the same time to dispossess an opponent. The defending system in PES 2013 was so good, why making it so awkward ? Why forcing players inputs with stupid right stick challenge and double tapping X where in the previous opus defending was stat based ?

I do not feel the agility difference between players, except if we are talking about extreme gaps like a player in the 70's and another in the 90's. It always feels like i'm manoeuvring a tanker, not a player. Speed set aside, stats are almost irrelevant now.

And, even more saddenning, the ground through ball have been nerfed like hell. You see a player making a run, your player have the vision and the stats to hit a good pass between the defender, why the game forces you to pass the ball so close to a a defender, and so deep that the goalkeeper eventually gets to it ? No wonder why people rely on aerial through balls online, where the risks of a stupid interception are lessened.
Let me show you with this:

1398082511-pes2014pass.png

You are the blue guy making the pass. The yellow arrow-line thing is the trajectory of the pass. Your blue comrade is making a perfect run behind the two red defenders, you hit triangle to make the killer pass. The dosage is perfect.

In the left, a normal pass. The normal through ball you can and will do in previous PES games.
In the right, the stupid "near the defender, too deep" PES 2014 through ball.

Konami don't want to improve it's game, instead, they just put stupid limitations on us to give the illusion of difficulty.

Last edited:
And then, they are gonna bring it up again in the next PES, call it a shiny new feature, setting up a special marketing campagn and bringing out the trumpets and confetti for it.

The physics engine is just killing everything, and the players take just too much time to slow down and stop.
Defending can be a chore, especially when it's all about pulling the right stick, holding x, bringing the CPU to press with square, sometimes you'll have to do all those things at the same time to dispossess an opponent. The defending system in PES 2013 was so good, why making it so awkward ? Why forcing players inputs with stupid right stick challenge and double tapping X where in the previous opus defending was stat based ?

I do not feel the agility difference between players, except if we are talking about extreme gaps like a player in the 70's and another in the 90's. It always feels like i'm manoeuvring a tanker, not a player. Speed set aside, stats are almost irrelevant now.

And, even more saddenning, the ground through ball have been nerfed like hell. You see a player making a run, your player have the vision and the stats to hit a good pass between the defender, why the game forces you to pass the ball so close to a a defender, and so deep that the goalkeeper eventually gets to it ? No wonder why people rely on aerial through balls online, where the risks of a stupid interception are lessened.

You are the blue guy making the pass. The yellow arrow-line thing is the trajectory of the pass. Your blue comrade is making a perfect run behind the two red defenders, you hit triangle to make the killer pass. The dosage is perfect.

In the left, a normal pass. The normal through ball you can and will do in previous PES games.

Konami don't want to improve it's game, instead, they just put stupid limitations on us to give the illusion of difficulty.
How long did it take you to make that diagram?

Complete waste of time
I have played countless of those balls. You fail to mention what difficulty, pass assist setting or which player (look at final pass stat).

I think I got a special Pes version again. Tired of sounding like a damn konami public relations rep around here

He's offside.

How long did it take you to make that diagram?

Complete waste of time
I have played countless of those balls. You fail to mention what difficulty, pass assist setting or which player (look at final pass stat).

I think I got a special Pes version again. Tired of sounding like a damn konami public relations rep around here

I tested PES 2014 in and out.
Tested every difficulty level and passing assistance setting, never this problem was adressed by changing anything or playing with skillful passers. For the record, i'm playing PES since the game was called International Superstar Soccer Pro, in the late 90's, so my judgment and perception about in game mechanics can be considered as accurate. :))

Last edited:
One sec gotta upload the 5 times I managed to play a little throughball into space

EDIT

Wait a sec here is one of my older goals the other is taking an eternity to upload

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bLLKF0IGto

and here is another wee little throughball to Bolasie that I just did

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYqw_xtJ8Sw

In the first video, you actually managed to confirm what i just said. At 24-25 second, the ball is so near the defender, extending his leg just a bit is enough to cancel your whole action. In my games that's what happens. The defender gets the balls or clears it right away, end of story.
Second vid is irrelevant.

He's right in the particular case though, Zee.

The first through ball shouldn't have gone around that defender (hence an example of bad defending rather than a pinpoint through ball).
And the second video is indeed irrelevant to the situation you were discussing (through ball in between the 2 CBs). :)

But I can't post my own opinion/experience as of now, because I haven't played enough PES 2014.

P.S. Those are 2 nice goals nevertheless! :P

Last edited:
Interesting point I recently realized.

FIFA went from FIFA 2004, 2005, etc to FIFA 06,07,etc. (Which looks much better IMO).

Now, why did PES switch from PES4,PES5,PES6 to PES2013,PES2014,etc (which looks much more cluttered).

Just a trivial thing I noticed.

In pes 2014 you have no total controll over your input. that I can live with. but what I can't live with is the randomness each input creates. You are constantly fighting the controlls. it's just amazing how KONAMI thinks that is programming. the game should be difficult and scoring should be well earned, but why do I have to fight what I input? With KONAMI it's like this: Idea > Input > Hope it goes well > Happy/frustration and over again. Why does a football game has to be frustrating?

I am 0-1 behind, it's the 90 minutes, I counter after my opponent couldn't take advantage of a free kick, it's 3 vs 1 defender and a goalkeeper, 2 are running free, only a simple through pass, what happens, no, the trough pass goes straight into the foot of the defender. why? because that's how KONAMI sees its game. Random shit happening 90 minutes long.

He's right in the particular case though, Zee.

The first through ball shouldn't have gone around that defender (hence an example of bad defending rather than a pinpoint through ball).
And the second video is indeed irrelevant to the situation you were discussing (through ball in between the 2 CBs). :)

But I can't post my own opinion/experience as of now, because I haven't played enough PES 2014.

P.S. Those are 2 nice goals nevertheless! :P

Thanks dude. The second was to show how you can place a throughpass anywhere. His diagram indicates that you cant and PES2014 doesn't allow it which is a stone cold lie.

What the damn hell konami?

4th transfer window and the regens are ridiculous.

Giggs - 94
Lopicic (spell check) - 95
diouf - 94
Juninho - 95
Olifanjana - 98
There are tons more but those are the top players
And all at age 16

That's the ML fucked for me. Lets see what World Challenge offers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom