PES 2014 Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can give you that, still when playing 2012 and later the whole match is "tough", all the little things, its moaning and not gaming.

Fine for people that can blend it out or not notice it, but not for me.

It hope in the future it could be done better, but IMO there are more important issues to be addressed. And by far most matches don't feel scripted at all.

Sure there are many issues and more important ones, but it's all connected to each other, you just can't judge things apart from each other.

And I'm less talking about whole matches being scripted to a certain outcome, I'm more talking about all the little things that weren't there in that nature and amount on the old engine, players stop all of a sudden or watch the ball doing nothing, stuff like that, some of it you only can see in replays, but it's all affecting the gameplay.

Ok, thought you were talking about scripting per se. Agree with you on the IA giving up and completely miss judged what you are doing, etc. Personally, the decision of going with fox engine on this generation was a mistake. Probably look good on paper, for people that don't know nothing about programming, the so-called transition between consoles' generations. But was a mess, and the devs probably had tones of problems doing the most simple tasks and didn't have time for everything. Those issues of IA (plus all the gameplay bugs) are a clear reflection of that, especially when you see tones of improvement on each patch. The core of the game is excellent, and when it works is gorgeous, but clearly there was too much things that were implemented without a proper review.
I fear for PES2015, simply because they spend so much time fixing the broken aspects of this year's version, that PES2015 maybe be affected by the lack of time and resources. Time will tell.

I wonder what Konami should do in PES 2015. There are so many different opinions.
Just look at the last patch. Some people like it and others don't.
So was the patch an improvement or not? The funny thing is that the first reaction of most people was positive, but when time goes by, more and more people start to critisize the patch.
Some say it is too fast, while others play with -1 speed. Some say the game is too scripted, others like it this way.
I can go on and on, but it is almost impossible to release a new game that suits all of us.
If Konami reads this forum, they will be confused, because of the completely opposite critics.
Maybe Konami should rewrite the game completely, aproach it from another side...

I don't get the negative vibes. The patch improved lots of things, PES 2014 is great regarding on the pitch gameplay!

Sure there are areas to improve even on the pitch, like introducing a two tiered stamina/fatigue-system, and sure there is some scripting to help the CPU a bit here and there, but it is imho nonetheless a great game of football.

In fact since PES 5 I'm not that excited about the on the pitch gameplay.

I can't wait to see how the 6x-CPU power available on the next gen will be used to advance the AI. There is a promising base built with the Fox-engine and now is the time for Konami to build it up on the nextgen, not only regarding gameplay but also regarding modi and features.

Give up on pes because Konami can't win is what Lami means.

Can't say I look forward to that day unfortunately there are many that wouldn't care less. Konamis own doing.

All that doom and gloom aside I am enjoying this game immensely alot more than 2013 and a few before this

I know I brought up the scripting complaints but I did say it's still a great game and I really enjoy it, haven't enjoyed Pes this much in years.

Once you can accept the scripting and don't feel that you have to win all the time you can chill out and pit your wits against the A.I. There are some great goals and moves to be found in this game.

I can't wait to see how the 6x-CPU power available on the next gen will be used to advance the AI.

Prognosis from somewhat aged and very disillusioned cynic who used to have such expectations for gaming industry more than 15 years ago - 5.9x out of 6x is going to be spent on even shinier graphics, fx, more convincing physics, etc. Basic priorities ... few exceptions aside, fancy AI unfortunately doesn't sell the game on mass market.

I'd love to be proven wrong, but as it is, I'm expecting yet another instance of history repeating itself.

TL/DR - rant about gaming industry in general, not aimed at PES specifically

They need to have a clear vision again, and not to please someone else but to please themselves, make a concept around it and then start to work with this concept in mind, and keep it in mind even when dealing with little details, only this way we get a truly great PES again that can stand the test of time.

I have always said it, and I will continue to do so. They need to pick a lane, and stay on it. Arcade or sim!

They also need to address game modes, ML/BL, and in this day and age, online modes. Those will be essential for the commercial sucess of the series.

They also need to address game modes, ML/BL, and in this day and age, online modes. Those will be essential for the commercial sucess of the series.

Spot on. They keep cutting the modes down year after year. Go back to PES 2010 ML, and build on that.

It's amazing who Konami sometimes its is worst enemy. We can make a serious case, i. e., without the nostalgia filter, for ML in PES6 to be better than the most recent entries. And that it's just a shame.

Prognosis from somewhat aged and very disillusioned cynic who used to have such expectations for gaming industry more than 15 years ago - 5.9x out of 6x is going to be spent on even shinier graphics, fx, more convincing physics, etc. Basic priorities ... few exceptions aside, fancy AI unfortunately doesn't sell the game on mass market.

I'd love to be proven wrong, but as it is, I'm expecting yet another instance of history repeating itself.

I think you are 100% correct. I had the same expectations when PES moved from PS1 to PS2, then to PS3. And even with the move to the Fox engine, I still had some hope that there would at least be signs of a transformed approach to the AI. But no, I still see the same old methods they were using 15 years ago, cheap cpu boosts, cpu which plays pixel-perfect football, cpu where it overrides the player stats, cpu catch-up, user's players being deliberately dragged out of position to allow the cpu more chance to score, user players that suddenly cannot pass 2 yards, user's players keep automatically lifting their legs out of the way of the ball to allow the cpu pass to complete, every 50/50 ball becomes 100/0 in favour of cpu, cpu goalkeepers have glue on their gloves, users' goalkeeper has hands made of soft sponge to allow ball into goal or palm ball straight into path of cpu striker, etc.

My expectation is that the AI will show the same distinctive Konami traits that it has always done and that any progress will be either negligible or completely forgotten about after a couple of matches as the same old irritations become all-consuming.

Last edited:
I think it's time to formulate what I wish PES 2015 to improve gameplay-wise:

1. AI needs to make a major jump so that the use of scripting help for the CPU gets reduced.

2. A two-tiered stamina/fatigue system needs to be implemented to make it all feel more realistic.

3. Individuality for players and teams needs to be expanded massively.

4. Tactical setups for teams need to be set up somewhat realistic and varied per default.

5. Goalkeeper needs to be reinvented from the ground up. He is still outdated in his movements and decision-makings and doesn't feel as alive and aware and reactive to loose balls as he should be.

They need to tone down the scripting offline and online.
Why there is scripting online baffles me it's a joke.

They need to make the AI of your team mates smarter. For god sake at least make them recognize the ball .to have them run away from the ball or just stand still is another joke
Fix the player switching as well also gks need working on.
Also too many games feel as tho the result is predetermined
Given konamis track record it will be the same old crap with pes2015 with the promise that 2016 will see a better game blah blah blah.

The most dated things in PES are modes online and offline,AI behaviour and goalkeepers
Fix those and there will be a big improvement

Tested this whole scripting thing with my ML team

Played Wigan in a league fix 1st game they outpkayed me and won 2-1 with more possession as well as more shots at goal

Restarted amd drew 2-2 this time the game was nore even.

Safe to say the game outcome is not predetermined

I need to add that both games were some of the best I have ever played ever on any gaming platform. The defence, attack, ai and keepers were immense. Pity the refs are still poo. Had a ckear penalty turned down :(

Tested this whole scripting thing with my ML team

Played Wigan in a league fix 1st game they outpkayed me and won 2-1 with more possession as well as more shots at goal

Restarted amd drew 2-2 this time the game was nore even.

Safe to say the game outcome is not predetermined

I need to add that both games were some of the best I have ever played ever on any gaming platform. The defence, attack, ai and keepers were immense. Pity the refs are still poo. Had a ckear penalty turned down :(

Try it on Superstar you might change your mind, it's a big step up from Top Player. If you remember what scripting was like in Pes 2013 it's quite similar . . . . pulling your defenders out of the way etc. but that's just my opinion.

I respect your opinion and I'm also having the best games I've ever had, totally absorbed in it.

I think it's time to formulate what I wish PES 2015 to improve gameplay-wise:

1. AI needs to make a major jump so that the use of scripting help for the CPU gets reduced.

2. A two-tiered stamina/fatigue system needs to be implemented to make it all feel more realistic.

3. Individuality for players and teams needs to be expanded massively.

4. Tactical setups for teams need to be set up somewhat realistic and varied per default.

5. Goalkeeper needs to be reinvented from the ground up. He is still outdated in his movements and decision-makings and doesn't feel as alive and aware and reactive to loose balls as he should be.

It's the 15,000,000 time you mention the two tiered stamina. Don't you ever get tired?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom