PES 2013 Discussion Thread

Re: PES 2013 Discussion Thread .......

even if the cpu is still too forward playing, it's much more bearable than in pes 2012

finally there is more midfield play, no more attack at the edge of penalty area trying to find a space

i agree that Ai needs to be addressed, but to me, it's not a top priority problem

Agreed.

On PES 2012 it actually looks very direct because one player will do the shimmy all the way down the pitch or spam a few quick passes or just ghost past your players and waltz into the penalty box.

Any directness I've seen this year doesn't appear anywhere near as direct as PES 2012 because it looks a bit more intelligent. Nice little lobs, through balls etc. MUCH MUCH nicer than seeing a guy waltz through on goal and you can't stop him. The double tap to tackle is fantastic!

guys, believe me; you play this game for a reasonable amount of time and it will grow on you, just like the old pes games.. mixed reactions are just normal, the shell of the game is almost the same, but having played it all day and played almost 50 games, i can say that the game starts to shine when you use the new dribbling, first touches and beautiful manual passing and shooting. just give it a go and try it as long as you can, i guarantee you'll start to love this game, even in this early status. i hope they dont ruin it in he second demo...

guys, believe me; you play this game for a reasonable amount of time and it will grow on you, just like the old pes games.. mixed reactions are just normal, the shell of the game is almost the same, but having played it all day and played almost 50 games, i can say that the game starts to shine when you use the new dribbling, first touches and beautiful manual passing and shooting. just give it a go and try it as long as you can, i guarantee you'll start to love this game, even in this early status. i hope they dont ruin it in he second demo...

For me, manual passing is the way to go in this game. It really is good. I hope Konami provide an option to make manual passing the default (like the shooting) in the final game so that it's not necessary to have to squeeze the L2 button all the time.

Really enjoying the demo guys. Took it up to Superstar from the start, 2 bar passing assist and assisted shooting (but I tried manual shooting later).

Things I'd like to see fixed (probably already mentioned):

- rushing the keeper out manually and the keeper should run in a more direct line to the striker. Looks like he isn't quite sure where to run then by the time he adjusts, it's too late.

- some of the overarm throws from keepers are too slow/floaty

- reduce the number of goals scored by the AI by doing a shot fake. Looks like a cheap glitch.

- contrast levels for night games need to increase. Looks washed out and hazy at the moment. Play a video on quick time and go into the menu for AV controls and reduce your contrast. That's what PES night games look like.

That's just my feedback.

Otherwise, really loving the shooting and passing. Some lovely new animations which look quite natural body shape wise. Have seen a nice animation where a player runs towards a position and throws his body at the ball for a diving header. In the past, they had the same old diving header animation for everything. The new one looks nice :)

Love the pace on those raking long balls, either flat or lofted. Some of them curl and some of them fall short! I hit a switch across the back and it got intercepted. Ronaldhino chested it down and layed it off to his teammate who smacked it just wide. Looked glorious.

I've been building up patiently and knocking the ball around. R2 step on a dribble, drag back etc is a godsend. Really gives you the time to weigh up your options and slow the game down instead of pass, pass, pass, pass.

Only playing 5 min games cause I'm on the 360 but even with my possession game, I've been surprised to see a lot of games with possession close to even.

It's great being able to intercept or break down play by using the new tackle function. Scored a nice curler with Neymar from outside the box and in another game Balotelli played a 1-2 with Marchisio who waited then slotted him a through ball. Balotelli took it on from 30 yards out with 2 defenders on his box and much to my delight, side footed his shot past the keeper, not AT the keeper :)

I got excited for the fact that is so easy to record and upload video on youtube using the iphone, despite the quality being poor, and I have never done this before, never uploaded video to youtube.

When I saw that Balotalli reaction, the first ting that came to my mind was: i got to record this!! :D

Lol. Have you seen the Ronaldo one? Now that is what I call player id.

I love this demo so freaking much! At first i was just satisfied,nothing else. But after a few games(5 min) I saw all the new options on the field. The dynamic touch and r2 dribble make it just so much better. Especially the r2 dribbling. You can actually perform close control skills while holding the r2 by moving around the right analog stick. It's so nice to beat defenders with this technique. The r2 shots are amazing aswel. The graphics are gonna get better i think, because in the player id trailer it looked better than in this demo.

i'm enjoying the demo very much. Especially the first touch option and the r2 dribble are amazing. You can actually do close control tricks while holding r2 by moving the right analog stick. Its very statisfieing to beat a defender with this technique. the r2 shots rock ass wel!

Yes, just had that realization as well, Deft Touch dribbling (R2) is incredible when combined with normal one and then sprint.

Just wish the AI would actually attempt to tackle me more when I'm doing it!!

Yes, just had that realization as well, Deft Touch dribbling (R2) is incredible when combined with normal one and then sprint.

Just wish the AI would actually attempt to tackle me more when I'm doing it!!

Yeah it's pretty amazing. But doing scissors while doing the deft touch dribble by moving the right stick works the best i think.I play allot with my bro, so i get more oppurtunaties to outclass him haha.

I've been here for a few years now but have seldom posted of late. I've played a couple of games of demo just now and here's my impressions hot off the press.

First of all, this game geared is geared towards attack over defence, there's no doubt about it. It's a trait of PES 2012 that has carried on into the demo of PES 2013 and personally i dislike it. Defence feels more aware than in PES 2012 but it always feels purposefully helpless in comparison to the generally easy time you have attacking and getting at the defenders with the ball. I guess you could say, as i will, that dribbling is far too precise and there's not as much challenge as i would like there to be. Attackers are keener to attack and defenders are slower to react. Call it a hunch but i feel that due to this cut-backs may well be a big issue again in this game when coming in from the wings. In 2 games i scored 5 goals and the computer scored 8. As a fan of PES 5 (yes i understand that's hyperbole on here) and PES 2011 i love grinding out low score wins. Personally i don't think there's much room for that in this game if this demo is anything to judge it on.

Close control is very much improved. In PES 2012 i felt rushed on the ball and helpless as the opposition would bear down on me with red eyes of lust for the spherical object i had at my feet. Now i have more time on the ball and more importantly enough more control so that i'm not as cheaply robbed. That's very much an improvement.

Crossing has been improved dramatically. It feels less cheap and often where in PES 2012 i would hit almost perfect crosses each time, it feels that my players need to be in better positions to get in a good one.

Goalkeepers still look unbearably stupid with their reactions. By this point i can't really forgive it. It's been years and they still look so unnatural. Their reactions have been improved but the animations have not.

Passing isn't so easy, in a good way, but that's not really because it's been made harder. Simply put, your passes just don't go as far so you aren't able to pass the ball 50 yards along the floor. Yes it's an improvement but it's not really that good a one because i find passes so accurate still and it's most telling with the ease you're able to play one-twos.

I feel that ball physics have improved but shooting is hugely problematic. The problem with it is that whilst the ball has more weight behind it, the game hasn't devised a way for you to actually mis-hit a shot. I am not exaggerating when i say that regardless of my position on the pitch, every single shot i had was headed towards the goal. Controlled or a ferocious punt, every single one would have troubled the keeper. The ball simply never spins out of control in the way it so often does when you try the spectacular from 40 yards and your effort is closer to the corner flag than it is the intended target. As such basically every shot ends up low and hard wherever you are on the pitch, or so it feels like.

Penalties (shootouts) are sterile. They are terrible. There's not even a hint of emotion and a lot of that has to go down to the recycled and boring presentation of them which hasn't been improved at all.

Lastly, and perhaps worst of all, i feel there were moments when i was playing PES 2008 for the amount of madness that happened. The amount of calamitous moments that happened during my few games were numerous and unforgettable. I believe that in my first two games there were 3 deflected goals, of which one was a double deflection. It was a pet-peeve of some in PES 2012 and it's still there. To boot certain defensive moments were horrific for both me and my AI competitor when defending in the most simplest of moments but the ONE THING that topped it all off was during a game between Portugal and Germany in which Germany hoofed the ball innocuously into my box and unopposed my goalkeeper rushed towards the penalty spot and headed, yes headed, the ball into the back of the net. I put the controller down in awe.

I started the demo hoping that the game would have depth despite any concerns. It may still prove to do so but the attacking over defence issue is one thing that may well turn this presentable football game into an arcade nightmare. I play PES for certain reasons but one of the main ones is that i have always enjoyed the grinding out of victories. Taking a leaf out of Fifa's school of 'make it easy to score so that people can feel like they're good at the game and won't lose interest' isn't going to sit well with me. You can pick out small things that are good and bad but overall these games are packages. Right now i'm really not that impressed.

Settings - 10 minute PC extender, Semi-assisted controls, Professional difficulty.

Last edited:

I've been here for a few years now but have seldom posted of late. I've played a couple of games of demo just now and here's my impressions hot off the press.

First of all, this game geared is geared towards attack over defence, there's no doubt about it. It's a trait of PES 2012 that has carried on into the demo of PES 2013 and personally i dislike it. Defence feels more aware than in PES 2012 but it always feels purposefully helpless in comparison to the generally easy time you have attacking and getting at the defenders with the ball. I guess you could say, as i will, that dribbling is far too precise and there's not as much challenge as i would like there to be. Attackers are keener to attack and defenders are slower to react. Call it a hunch but i feel that due to this cut-backs may well be a big issue again in this game when coming in from the wings. In 2 games i scored 5 goals and the computer scored 8. As a fan of PES 5 (yes i understand that's hyperbole on here) and PES 2011 i love grinding out low score wins. Personally i don't think there's much room for that in this game if this demo is anything to judge it on.

Close control is very much improved. In PES 2012 i felt rushed on the ball and helpless as the opposition would bear down on me with red eyes of lust for the spherical object i had at my feet. Now i have more time on the ball and more importantly enough more control so that i'm not as cheaply robbed. That's very much an improvement.

Crossing has been improved dramatically. It feels less cheap and often where in PES 2012 i would hit almost perfect crosses each time, it feels that my players need to be in better positions to get in a good one.

Goalkeepers still look unbearably stupid with their reactions. By this point i can't really forgive it. It's been years and they still look so unnatural. Their reactions have been improved but the animations have not.

Passing isn't so easy, in a good way, but that's not really because it's been made harder. Simply put, your passes just don't go as far so you aren't able to pass the ball 50 yards along the floor. Yes it's an improvement but it's not really that good a one because i find passes so accurate still and it's most telling with the ease you're able to play one-twos.

I feel that ball physics have improved but shooting is hugely problematic. The problem with it is that whilst the ball has more weight behind it, the game hasn't devised a way for you to actually mis-hit a shot. I am not exaggerating when i say that regardless of my position on the pitch, every single shot i had was headed towards the goal. Controlled or a ferocious punt, every single one would have troubled the keeper. The ball simply never spins out of control in the way it so often does when you try the spectacular from 40 yards and your effort is closer to the corner flag than it is the intended target. As such basically every shot ends up low and hard wherever you are on the pitch, or so it feels like.

Penalties (shootouts) are sterile. They are terrible. There's not even a hint of emotion and a lot of that has to go down to the recycled and boring presentation of them which hasn't been improved at all.

Lastly, and perhaps worst of all, i feel there were moments when i was playing PES 2008 for the amount of madness that happened. The amount of calamitous moments that happened during my few games were numerous and unforgettable. I believe that in my first two games there were 3 deflected goals, of which one was a double deflection. It was a pet-peeve of some in PES 2012 and it's still there. To boot certain defensive moments were horrific for both me and my AI competitor when defending in the most simplest of moments but the ONE THING that topped it all off was during a game between Portugal and Germany in which Germany hoofed the ball innocuously into my box and unopposed my goalkeeper rushed towards the penalty spot and headed, yes headed, the ball into the back of the net. I put the controller down in awe.

I started the demo hoping that the game would have depth despite any concerns. It may still prove to do so but the attacking over defence issue is one thing that may well turn this presentable football game into an arcade nightmare. I play PES for certain reasons but one of the main ones is that i have always enjoyed the grinding out of victories. Taking a leaf out of Fifa's school of 'make it easy to score so that people can feel like they're good at the game and won't lose interest' isn't going to sit well with me. You can pick out small things that are good and bad but overall these games are packages. Right now i'm really not that impressed.

Settings - 10 minute PC extender, Semi-assisted controls, Professional difficulty.
This is what keeps me away from these games. They make the offense too easy and defense too hard compared to the real thing. (where it's the opposite)

I guess because they figure the games are alot shorter than than real life, so if they did make it realistic you would end up with alot of 0-0 games and not many chances on goal. But it just ends up screwing up the whole feel of the game and kinda defeats the purpose of trying to make a realistic game in the first place. You can't have it both ways.

Also - your post implies that all of your shots were on target? I tried a curler with Ronaldo from 20 yards and it sailed over the bar by a mile. Seen plenty of shots go high and wide from myself and the AI.

Or are you saying that you want to see mis-cue's of the ball, so that it just trickles along the floor?

Coupled with your tendency to grind out small wins, I'm surprised you only play 10 minute games. Sounds like you want a slow paced sim with 20-25 min halves?

On 5 min games it feels well balanced. Obviously on the Xbox I haven't been able to play my usual 15 min matches or play ML mode so I can't make a judgement on how well balanced the full game plays but for an EARLY demo, the game is showing a lot of promise.

Some people writing it off already lol

No one detected the core problems with this game.

INVERSED TEAMPLAY LOGIC
When a real player has the ball, their teammates move around him, creating spaces and options to pass safely. The ball holder spends little time on the ball, generally 2 or 3 touches and pass.
In PES, it works exactly the other way around: when you have the ball, YOU have to make things happen. You have to carry the ball towards your teammates to "declare your intentions". Teammates AI is passive, it has no intentions whatsoever. How often do your players hide behind the opponents instead of showing themselves for a pass? This is why we see a LOT of unnecesary ball carrying in PES.

BALL RECEPTION FACING
PES players rarely (almost never) face the right direction when receiving a pass. They receive in a neutral body position, generally the wrong way. That's why you have to accomodate so much after every pass. The lack of authentic team philophies (play horizontally/with pivots/diamond shaped/etc), which should alter the way players face a ball reception, intensifies this flaw.

I really, really do not agree with you on these points. Maybe it's just random luck?

It's not passive, it's contextual is the way i see it. You don't see players run cris/cross all the time in real life now do you? Or always offer their green feet to accept a pass. Sometimes they just wait?

I urge you to play the game without using sprint. I do, and I see players do all kinds of things. Also face them, not just have the ball but look or go into the players' direction and you'll see they'll either come to you or make a run or wave (i'm free i'm free pass it to me!!) based on their positioning (and) individuality in conjuction with team playing style. It goes even beyond the closest player(s) around as far as direction, movement and options go.
It's not as static (or passive) as you make it out to be unless you're running and passing too fast all over the pitch because then no one (your players) knows when, where or how to run or what to do.

For ex: Coentrao will go rushing down the flanks if you do a pass and go or if Ronaldo cuts in he'll go over him as long as you're facing that direction, and there's space yadayada. But then he's got crap passing so if you do it all too fast you'll see him chase back or apply pressure or go into duel to win the ball or whatever. He just OOZES that he wants to go deep and he will 'all by him self' if need be. If it's locked in midfield, or little space you will see him do this less often. Just like he does it in irl.
You will see Lahm do this differently. He's much more conservative in going over his winger, but his positioning and timing is a lot better, also better teamwork etc.
These are just 2 players on the same exact position but they behave so differently just by basically facing them or look into their direction(s).
-
Of course all of this is based on what happens contextually on the pitch. And also just by facing the aforementioned players and/or passing it to them the first time. It's all in the details really.

If you (we) want realistic you need to play realistic. Otherwise all the subtleties go unnoticed and it's just another game. I can name at least a dozen more of these teamplay logic examples of great individualism combined with a pretty impressive AI.

Is it perfect no, but it's pretty damn interesting if you 'look closely'.

Of course there are occasional direction facing hickups and somewhat emotionless expressions during certain situations. But it ain't all THAT bad.
I scored a goal with Nani as he was on the brink of offside, and after he scored he immediately looked over his shoulder to the linesman, talk about subtlety (or was that already in pes 2012?)

Also i find that when you use L2 manual passing, players tend to move around more eagerly and responsively than after a regular 'assisted' pass. Then there's dynamic 1-2's and pass/go with r2. Or Right analog manual player runs. Shit the options are endless!!

Something tells me this demo is purely for offensive/attacking purposes only. So we can get to gripes with the attacking part (freedom/movement/controls/shots etc) of the game. Because to me the cpu is a joke even on Superstar.

Last edited:

Players making runs never accelerate actually there is no explosion in the game or acceleration the game has this constant velocity of smoothness hence no excitment.
GK Charge is too bloody slow give advantage to fwds.
GK movement with ball in hand equally bloody slow.
GK throw is damn slow and loopy and not instant.
GK has no urgency in getting up to catch loose balls

Through balls and passes phase through defenders
Crossing sucks
Mehzut Ozil can out jump john terry.
Teammate support logic sucks
Strikers dont curve their runs and make a lot of dumb runs.
Defenders suck
Player selection sucks
Players receiving manual passes and reacting to through balls suck

Really? I've had another go and I'm filling the power bar to about 75-80 percent with my player in a good position to hit the ball from and it still just seems to float. There's no real oomph to shots or passes for me!

Jeepers. You sure there's a 3 at the end and not a 2 for PES2012? The shooting is like it is being shot out of a cannon.

No, it's because the games suck. If they built and repaired their mistakes, instead of taking away the best things about the game every year that made it fun in the first place, then after 5 iterations of the game they'd probably have a very good one. Instead, they find it more beneficial to add features like build/edit a stadium with pictures of fighter jets or frogs rather than giving people 3rd kits or an auto-replay in training mode.

bla bla bla all you do is complain, why even try the game tbh ?

Hello it's me again, again I found something about the PES2013 license from the DEMO file:

-maybe FC Nordsjaelland will be licensed in PES2013, together with F.C. Copenhagen total 2 Denmark teams in PES2013

-same situation as the Denmark side, maybe FC Vaslui will be licensed in PES2013, together with F.C. Copenhagen total 2 Romanian teams in PES2013

-just like the team list revealed, Motherwell FC will be licensed in PES2013

-at this stage only two Bundesliga teams confirmed, Bayern Munich and Schalke 04, maybe one more team in the retail version as KONAMI said

-10 Argentina teams maybe?

Biswerhausen, Creussenburg, Dhroffsmitz(Racing maybe?), Kochglehmann, Kriedbach
95372501.png
80450804.png
34189506.png
97559808.png
19394258.png

Lengerblitz, Maarsfort, Neuslatzfeld, Osthomkorch, Pabrowiestein
38988233.png
11790031.png
99501356.png
12932676.png
79235855.png

-seems all brazillian teams will be licensed, not the league but the teams just like Serie A

I tested WE and PES on PS3, and definitely WE2013 is a more polished game than PES2013. The difference are too noticeable. Hope the final code can be like WE, but is hard.

The lack of decent camera options is a real pity. The radar simply doesn't cut it when you're trying to manage manual passes.

There is no camera, outside of 'blimp' which is way too far out, which actually shows you even close to the width of the pitch. Pitch side gets a bit closer, but has a very narrow field of view. Wide is too high, and seems to want to show you the stands so that, if you're at the top of the screen you can't see anything below about the penalty spot.

Such a simple thing, but frankly so important.

Also, can't help but feel that the top end of the speed is a bit low. The general game pacing is OK but when players are running at top speed it looks a bit like they're sprinting in mud. It seems like a slightly cheap way of artificially constraining game speed.

The lack of decent camera options is a real pity. The radar simply doesn't cut it when you're trying to manage manual passes.

There is no camera, outside of 'blimp' which is way too far out, which actually shows you even close to the width of the pitch. Pitch side gets a bit closer, but has a very narrow field of view. Wide is too high, and seems to want to show you the stands so that, if you're at the top of the screen you can't see anything below about the penalty spot.

Such a simple thing, but frankly so important.

Also, can't help but feel that the top end of the speed is a bit low. The general game pacing is OK but when players are running at top speed it looks a bit like they're sprinting in mud. It seems like a slightly cheap way of artificially constraining game speed.

In real football you can hardly see every bit of the field.

Gameplan sliders strategy is not working yet, isnt it ? no change on the pitch. how can we feedback about this ? :YAWN:

# Defensive-line

I hope konami will make minimal trade-off between defensive pro active ai and type of defensive line. Zonal defense, i guess this is what i see being unable to get it right in pes 2012.

Let's say i want my defense going deep. Ball is playing on the right sidelines. i want my right back (which is the opposite side) just cover opponent's left midfielder or left wing with sufficient distance. Not necessarily tracking him all the way in man-arking style which is the impact of active ai introduced in 2012. Making my defense scrambling chasing each of opponents player.

Although, an improvement i see here in demo 2013, is that my side back hold the line better compared to 2012.

Last i would love to see the ablity for us to reduce this man-marking tracking style which sometimes also makes CB goes high early for a free attacker.

Back
Top Bottom