PES 2012 Discussion Thread .......

Animations don't really feel right. The movement of the ball doesn't follow the shooting animation. Also goalkeeping is quite basic. I just don't like the binary mechanism to goalkeeping and I think Konami should make use of the analogue stick in allowing more directions to be jumped at (mid right, top right, low right, mid left, top left, low left). FIFA's system isn't perfect but it is much more exciting than PES's.

The penalty animations for both 2008 and 2012 both look rubbish. I don't see why you'd argue about them. Every single penalty looks like they're putting their foot through the ball when they strike it. I actually forgot about that background camera for saving penalties in PES 2008 too. Somebody needs to get Konami and give them a slap for trying such silly things when they could just spend more time mastering the basics of an actual good idea i.e the camera behind the player.

Last edited:
Yes. They don't look awkward like kids in a schoolyard. Which occurs in that 2012 video.

the animations in 2012 really don't look great at all but lets hope that when the game is in your hands it feels much better then it looks and you are able to forget that important aspect.
like someone here pointed out to me football kingdom looked great but everything else about it felt wrong.
hoping konami is going for the opposite.

Suff was exclaiming how good the game was on twitter. Hope it's not just the kool-aide talking...

the animations in 2012 really don't look great at all but lets hope that when the game is in your hands it feels much better then it looks and you are able to forget that important aspect.
like someone here pointed out to me football kingdom looked great but everything else about it felt wrong.
hoping konami is going for the opposite.

Surely, it won't be a game breaking thing. Even if it looks like this in the final game, it's not that important.
It's just annoying how they can't get some basic things right for so many years.
Some things are worse than previous versions. Like 2011 replay camera, like the penalties
(i watched some youtube videos and figured out these ridiculous penalty animations started in 2009 and are still the same in 2012).

Who was that?

the guy from pesblog.be

here is what he said regarding the tweets

"I'm very positive about PES2012, let that already be clear. But some tweets seemed to suggest the game didn't have ANY flaws. Which is simply untrue. And I'm sure WENB and others will address those too August 3th. Just saying a 99% metacritic vibe (which for me sounded like that) isn't realistic, for any game.

But again, I'm hugely positive about PES 2012, and that's really all I can say for the moment. Just 28 hours left and I (and many others) will tell you everything you want to know!"

there was then a little argument between that guy and the people from wenb

Surely, it won't be a game breaking thing. Even if it looks like this in the final game, it's not that important.
It's just annoying how they can't get some basic things right for so many years.
Some things are worse than previous versions. Like 2011 replay camera, like the penalties
(i watched some youtube videos and figured out these ridiculous penalty animations started in 2009 and are still the same in 2012).

the problem is that even if it isn't game breaking it takes away the feeling of satisfaction you get while watching replays when you pulled off something nice.
its been a while since i saved replays and showed them to friends when they come over just because of this reason.

the guy from pesblog.be

"I'm very positive about PES2012, let that already be clear. But some tweets seemed to suggest the game didn't have ANY flaws. Which is simply untrue. And I'm sure WENB and others will address those too August 3th. Just saying a 99% metacritic vibe (which for me sounded like that) isn't realistic, for any game.

But again, I'm hugely positive about PES 2012, and that's really all I can say for the moment. Just 28 hours left and I (and many others) will tell you everything you want to know!"

doesn't sound to promising.
when can we get the demo to judge it for ourselves.
i got a feeling the reviews won't tell us much

Yes. They don't look awkward like kids in a schoolyard. Which occurs in that 2012 video.

YouTube - ISS Pro Evolution 2 (PSX) Penalties

i dont think the penalty mechanics have really changed since this game(you can still only put the ball in 6 places in the goal) apart from pes 2010 and 2011,wouldnt mind a brand new system for penalties that takes in the pressure situation and psycology of a real shootout

YouTube - Argentina-Jugoslavia World Cup 90 Quarterfinal Penalties

i dont think ive ever seen a goalie catch a penalty like the way maradona's pen was caught in pes either

Last edited:
the guy from pesblog.be

I've only really been skimreading them, but I didn't get that impression from the tweets tbh. The 99% Metacritic or the utterly flawless business I mean. Without giving anything away, does a game have to be utterly perfect for you to be fapfapfapping on twitter about it? Or does it just have to have that special something about it that makes you warm inside and not want to hand the controller back to someone else?

I've only really been skimreading them, but I didn't get that impression from the tweets tbh. The 99% Metacritic or the utterly flawless business I mean. Without giving anything away, does a game have to be utterly perfect for you to be fapfapfapping on twitter about it? Or does it just have to have that special something about it that makes you warm inside and not want to hand the controller back to someone else?

well coming from you thats good enough for me, i take it little niggles aside we will have a game this year that will put smiles back on the faces of many of the hardcore and could bring the old guard back from fifaland

the problem is that even if it isn't game breaking it takes away the feeling of satisfaction you get while watching replays when you pulled off something nice.
its been a while since i saved replays and showed them to friends when they come over just because of this reason.

Yes. Exactly. Animations are very important in sports games imo. Take Nba2k. It had some major gameplay flaws in 2009 and 2010 but it had amazing animations which made it famous and felt great despite the flaws.
I mean, i'm not saying the animations in pes2012 will be so bad. We know they won't be great, but they probably will be decent enough. They improve it year by year, but somehow they forgot about the penalty animations which look really horrible since pes 2009.

YouTube - ISS Pro Evolution 2 (PSX) Penalties

i dont think the penalty mechanics have really changed since this game(you can still only put the ball in 6 places in the goal) apart from pes 2010 and 2011,wouldnt mind a brand new system for penalties that takes in the pressure situation and psycology of a real shootout

Yeah, mechanics may be the same. I don't know which one was better. I was just talking about animations.
Mechanics... Pes 2010 was ok, but it should have some indicators for shot power and direction. 2011 was way too sensitive for my liking.

Last edited:
I think the old guard is already coming back to pes from fifaland, but it's being a long long journey and the doubt is if this year will be the definitive station.

well coming from you thats good enough for me, i take it little niggles aside we will have a game this year that will put smiles back on the faces of many of the hardcore and could bring the old guard back from fifaland

That's something that I hope you'll be able to judge one way or the other from the impressions coming once the NDA lifts. I can't speak for Asim and Suff but I was just trying to make the point that a game can be considered 'super sexy' without being the finest feat of human endeavour since the moon landings!

I've written some stuff down on paper, but not actually started typing anything up yet so I might be fashionably late, as ever :(

That's something that I hope you'll be able to judge one way or the other from the impressions coming once the NDA lifts. I can't speak for Asim and Suff but I was just trying to make the point that a game can be considered 'super sexy' without being the finest feat of human endeavour since the moon landings!

I've written some stuff down on paper, but not actually started typing anything up yet so I might be fashionably late, as ever :(

Ah, I take it you played it (you were one of the guests?). So you do agree the game is "super sexy". Should mean something. Everyone knows it will be far from perfect, as long as the gameplay is great.

I didn't say super sexy - I'm trying to just talk about Asim's tweets :P

You'll all see my thoughts soon enough...

To be honest - there's only 6 places you SHOULD be trying putting a penalty. Top and bottom corners. Down the middle on the ground or down the middle chipped. I've seen the ball travel just wide of the centre on PES 11, so in fact there are more than 6 places the ball does travel, depending on how long you hold the stick for.

I agree that animations are important but so is gameplay. Whether or not the animation looks good is probably secondary to the animation matching the ball trajectory. If it looks odd that sucks but if looks downright wrong, then it's really hard to get past!

ARGH, I can't take it anymore, hope we don't have to wait too long for a demo! :)

I don't get to check the forums overly much, but if some PES2012 MLO Beta crops up please would someone be a damn good fellow and send me a PM if that happens, please? :)

I didn't say super sexy - I'm trying to just talk about Asim's tweets :P

You'll all see my thoughts soon enough...

i knew it, so Pes 2012 must be something special :))
no offense to Adam,Asim and wenb people, but i give much more credit to Suffwan and people here on evo web

now my only wish is: i just hope they don't make the final release a worse game

Seems like we are always waiting for some embargo to be lifted. How about, Konami, you actually invite some press to your place just a day before, or indeed, the same day you want the news out? Just a thought :P

Oh you're not going to do a Nick are you and pretend you have a life outside of here to delay the impressions?! Nick does it every bloody time!

;)

Back
Top Bottom