PES 2011 Discussion thread

Seriously ? not getting that.

I can see Copa teams will be available in Exhibtion. They will be in other Latin American teams. :)

Stick with the passing, everyone is the same, forget anything you knew about previous PES games. Relearn.

I keep getting it :( its winding me up, its not only on the PES2011 Demo though, dont know how to fix it :S

My impressions:

I played 5 games, all on Professional level.
The freedom is really there; in passing, in shooting and also on the tactical department.

To start with passing: You can certainly pass 360 degrees but the chance of succes is very much dependent on who passes.
With the teams in the Copa-América match, the passes were not that accurate as when you played with Barcelona. It took me about two matches to pass the ball around on an acceptable level. I scored one goal with the full manual passing-button, where I played a long and high pass for Ibrahimovic ( still in Barcelona ) who raced clear and scored in style.

Shooting is something which is made harder, more difficult. When your player has not yet controlled the ball, he will not score easily. That is the difficult point; most of the time you have to be quick, making shooting harder.

The ball is part of the freedom: At first I thought that the ball slowed down too fast, but in those cases I played a pure groundpass, and then it stays on the grass, making it slow down earlier. So I found out that you better could play the ball with more pace, after which coms from the ground a bit, resulting into a better pass. You have the feeling that the ball has more weight then in previous versions, which is good.

There is some discussion about the so called ping-pong passing, but I was noth able to recreate that on Professional level, so I asume that was a matter of the lower level assisting you to direct the passing.

The keeper is definatly better than in PES 2010. Balls are punched much more to the side, or at least as much outside the reach of an attacker as possible.
Of course, there are moments when the keeper makes a mistake, but it is well within acceptable margins.
A good thing is that you can direct the balls with goalkeeper-balls. Not extreme, but it is possible!

Strategy:
I tried different strategies and I must say: They work well.
You can order your players to move more often off the ball, which worked fine. You can also let your team choose wich strategies can be used on a particular moment of the match. So you can start with a passing game and play the long ball at the end of the match.
As far as I could see there was no card-system anymore. ( EDIT: They are in )
That had the consequence that the D-line-setting is back! Good thing!

Konami said they tried to make a game for the hardcore-fan and as fas as team-play is concerned, they succeeded in that goal.
It's just a matter of waiting for the final game to find out if they succeeded in that other hardcore department as well: Online gaming! If so, then they achieved something huge with PES 2011.

Last edited:
It seems that the feint link doesnt work on this demo. I tried just replacing the first one of each direction to my own preferred revelant subtle feints, but it doesnt replicate it in game. It still uses the default for some reason.

Well, it was going from 1080i to 720p when I loaded the demo.

I've just looked on google and it would appear that my HDTV isnt set up correctly, or needs to be tweaked around with to fix performance issues :/

i cant wait to play this on my pc. its the best platform to play it on. no slowdowns on a decent gaming rig :BOP:

Why everybody cross in the same body position?

I DON'T CARE if you were good at pes 4 years ago! So was I, so were a lot of people! NO! You don't like this series anymore! You don't want it to be better! What are you even doing here!

Don't give me that 'ohh i was champion'. I was a fanboy (you still are but you switched sides) That boat set sail when you just ignored any of the positives and improvements that have been shown in the video's or read any of the impressions.

critiisum is fine but at least be balanced in your opinion. Not cherry picking all the negatives and ignoring all the positivity.

Depth to passing?

Seriously, a pass is not a miracle, it should not become a chore, even amateurs can pass properly.

Now if a football game requires more skill to do something as simple as a pass than in real life then it's exaggerated.

I get what you mean, take manual on fifa 10 for an example, that's not balanced at all when 5 yard passes are harder than defense splitting through balls!

Passes which are easy in real life are easy on this game. It's making the right choices when attacking and using the depth there to succeed is what makes it challenging.

When you play it you will understand man.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is it me or does the new defending thing not work? With :x: and pressing towards opponent or goal, nothing happens, CBs always backtrack and when you select one of them they take a split second to break out of being cpu controlled and sometimes that is enough for the attacker to get through. I have made some great tackles though, just poking the ball away at the last minute. But on the whole defending seems a bit wrong and broken.

Also player switching is starting to seem a bit poor at times, had the same issues with FIFA although alot worse, maybe it comes with the freedom of passing? When playing longer passes it will often switch to a man closer to the ball than I want and the guy making the run further away who the ball was intended for will lose interest and stop his run.

It seems that the feint link doesnt work on this demo. I tried just replacing the first one of each direction to my own preferred revelant subtle feints, but it doesnt replicate it in game. It still uses the default for some reason.

Did you make sur you saved it properly?

I'm starting to get worried about this bicycle kick now! It's a fault! It's too fast, and it''s quite frequent from what i'm hearing. Only seen it happen to me once and went over but the speed the ball was traveling was teh issue!

btw, anyone notice that replays are different? you cant move zoom out properly on the replays like you could on pes2010?

Yeah I noticed the limitations on replays, I dont understand why we get such short replay lengths either, FIFA lets you watch everything that has happened, PES gives you 10 secs!

Is it me or does the new defending thing not work? With :x: and pressing towards opponent or goal, nothing happens,[b/] CBs always backtrack and when you select one of them they take a split second to break out of being cpu controlled and sometimes that is enough for the attacker to get through. I have made some great tackles though, just poking the ball away at the last minute. But on the whole defending seems a bit wrong and broken.

Also player switching is starting to seem a bit poor at times, had the same issues with FIFA although alot worse, maybe it comes with the freedom of passing? When playing longer passes it will often switch to a man closer to the ball than I want and the guy making the run further away who the ball was intended for will lose interest and stop his run.

I cant get it to work either. Darth should be able to set the record straight here. Try semi-manual for player switch, I always find that better.

This oine looks rubbish, tbh.

It reminds me Fifa. Lots of foward passes, and then you see passes around defenders that could easily make (at least) an attempt to intercept or cut the passes. The ball passes through them close enough.

TBH, noob goal due to bad AI. I'm so pro-sim in football games that I would never try these passes around defenders because I would expect them to react realistically and at least TRY to intercept or cut the ball and then frustrates my attack.

I hope this isn't 4 stars dificulty level.

This oine looks rubbish, tbh.

It reminds me Fifa. Lots of foward passes, and then you see passes around defenders that could easily make (at least) an attempt to intercept or cut the passes. The ball passes through them close enough.

TBH, noob goal due to bad AI. I'm so pro-sim in football games that I would never try these passes around defenders because I would expect them to react realistically and at least TRY to intercept or cut the ball and then frustrates my attack.

I hope this isn't 4 stars dificulty level.

Trust me, it's a very good goal. I've tried that and i haven't been able to produce anything near that quality yet. Thing is your looking at just one video and assuming the whole balance is set to loads of forward passing, it certainly isn't :)

The back tracking is this, you have to hold BACK towards your goal with X pressed as this tracks the run of the player, NOT diagonally down towards your player, you should never press the left stick towards your player until you want to stick a leg in, its hard to get used to and I still revert to type and press the left stick towards the player too soon.

Gonna take a load of matches to get used to fully.

I saved a link feint set-up and it didn't replicate in game for me either.

The replays after each and every foul is very annoying, I hope it's not like this in the final game.

You need to play around with the Team Setup fernadez.

from what im reading no matter what goals are posted, theres always one person thats gonna criticise the keeper, the direct play and the passing, seriously get over it and go play your fifa

The back tracking is this, you have to hold BACK towards your goal with X pressed as this tracks the run of the player, NOT diagonally down towards your player, you should never press the left stick towards your player until you want to stick a leg in, its hard to get used to and I still revert to type and press the left stick towards the player too soon.

Gonna take a load of matches to get used to fully.

So this jockey system does work in this demo then Darth ? Forgive my ignorance.

So this jockey system does work in this demo then Darth ? Forgive my ignorance.

It does, I am still hit and miss on the timing and concede a load of free kicks, as I said, if you hold a spirit level back to your goal with x held the defender should move closer and track the player even if he sprints, if you then get a chance to put a boot in to win the ball you stab the left stick in the balls direction.

The new defending works fine for me. Not sure what people are struggling with or what they're expecting compared to what's happening?

It does, I am still hit and miss on the timing and concede a load of free kicks, as I said, if you hold a spirit level back to your goal with x held the defender should move closer and track the player even if he sprints, if you then get a chance to put a boot in to win the ball you stab the left stick in the balls direction.

Thats not the system I'm talking about Darth, the one I mean is when defender back-peddles.

Edit - Nice one, I've got it. :)

I'm controlling the left back.

YouTube - Tracking Jockey System

Last edited:
those who've played the demo, as Konami noted it being final build, how does it compare to pes5/6. anywhere near as good?

no offence, but I wouldn't buy your answer Jimmy. maybe we have differing opinions, but I've been a pes gamer throughout, and I just want someone with the same 'feel' and opinion as me. So I would take the opinions of those who feel that pes2008-2010 were crap. anyone from that era?

those who've played the demo, as Konami noted it being final build, how does it compare to pes5/6. anywhere near as good?

Beats PES 6 easily. ATM I'm liking it more than 5 but maybe because it feels very similar to PES 5. Or maybe it's just the amount of fouls!

It's a final build. The full game will be the same as this with less niggles!

no offence, but I wouldn't buy your answer Jimmy. maybe we have differing opinions, but I've been a pes gamer throughout, and I just want someone with the same 'feel' and opinion as me. So I would take the opinions of those who feel that pes2008-2010 were crap. anyone from that era?

Yeah, I absolutely loved PES 5, stopped playing after 2008, never touched 2009 and only played 2010 occasionally at a friend's house. This game is better than PES 5/6 because it's far less scripted, you have more freedom (though not complete freedom), animations are better and obviously it goes without saying that the graphics and the audio are much better as well.

It will take time to find out whether things like AI and depth are better but so far so good. There are a few concerns like (in my opinion) dodgy goalkeepers, slightly awkward player switching but all in all it's shaping up very nicely.

Back
Top Bottom