Nintendo DS / 3DS / Wii / Wii U

Re: Nintendo Wii

wiips3kiosks.jpg

real or fake. unknown right now.

NickSCFC said:
With those demo pods people are gonna think PS3 and Wii controllers aren;t wireless...

but then I guess it does stop chavs stealing them!
The Xbox 360 pods have their pads attached too.

the_thing said:
wiips3kiosks.jpg

real or fake. unknown right now.
I'd say fake. Why? We aren't all that tall to see the PS3 screen, and the Wii screen is 4:3 and I think all games on the Wii will be widescreen.

There is widescreen support, it's already been conformed by developers.

Other bits from Japanese conference last night:
  • US November 19th launch - $250.
  • Japan December 2nd launch.
  • US console to include Wii Sports.
  • New games $50.
  • Ships with Opera web browser.
  • 4M units available at launch (compared to 500,000 for PS3).
  • Zelda available at Japan launch.
  • 21 companies now supporting virtual console (http://www.nintendo.co.jp/wii/features/img/virtual_img1.gif)
  • In the box:
    1 piece of Wii
    1 Wiicon strap
    1 Nunchuck controller
    1 AC adaptor
    1 AV cable
    1 stand
    1 support plate (dunno what this is)
    1 sensor bar
    1 sensor bar stand
    2x battery (AA)

CONFIRMED

WiiMote - 3,800Yen = £17.23 (£20?)
    Nunchuck - 1,800Yen = £8.16 (£10?)
    Old School controller - 1,800Yen = £8.16 (£10?)

There's a new video of some of the early games here > http://www.nintendo.co.jp/wii/topics/wii_preview/movie/lineup.html < looks great.

Plus videos of the UI here > http://www.wii.com/jp/movies/wiimenu/

play-asia are already taking pre-orders for the Japanese machine. The US conference is in a couple of hours now which will reveal more and then the UK one is tomorrow afternoon.

Flawl3ssCowb0y said:
Good news, shame Europe didn't get a release date. Probably means we won't see it till after Christmas :(

Great possible prices though!
Don't worry! UK Press conference is due for tomoroow!

Live from New York
We're at Nintendo's Wii event. Live updates begin now!

September 14, 2006 - Nintendo's New York City Wii will begin in just a few minutes and IGN Wii's editorial team is on hand for live updates. Keep refreshing this page to find out exactly what's going on.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

9:05 EST: Nintendo opens the doors to its event and people pile in.

9:10 EST: A stage shows a lovely oversized Wii font. A wide assortment of Wii kiosks -- still turned off -- sit to the right of the stage.

9:12 EST: Craig, Matt and Mark are tired. They pass the time by talking about the awesome GUI for Wii. Readers couldn't give a damn.

9:15 EST: NOA's VP of marketing and corporate affairs Perrin Kaplan takes the stage. Says Nintendo is going to get started and apologizes for being late. Promises to wrap things up quickly and then invites attendees to play Wii after the presentation.

9:15 EST: Mr. Iwata is in flight to Europe to join NOE for presentation later, Perrin says. Perrin says the presentation will last less than an hour and will be followed by a question and answer session.

9:16 EST: NOA president Reggie Fils-Aime takes stage. "Yes, we will reveal all of the relevant information for Wii. Date, price, how many, titles -- all of that information," Reggie says. "But more importantly, today marks our next planned step in driving this industry forward."

"Our strategy is based on one core belief: that the next step in gaming is bringing gaming back to the masses. It literally is that simple. Appealing to those current games as well as broadening this industry to new gamers," Fils-Aime adds.

9:18 EST: Talks about Nintendo DS. "So far in 2006, everyone is pleased with industry revenue growth that is just about 8 percent through August. But the main contributor to that success is Nintendo DS. If you back out DS growth from the equation, the total equation is 2 percent growth."

Speaks about Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection for DS.

Wii goes on sale November 19. "The worldwide debut of the Wii system happens right here in the Americas -- the same place where we debuted Nintendo DS. On November 19, it will be available at more than 25,000 points of distribution across the Americas. And with a manufacturer's suggested retail price of $249.99. One price. One configuration. One color." Which is, for the record, white.

Plans to ship 4 million Wii consoles between launch and December 31. Americas will receive the largest share of stock.

Inside the box, you'll get the hardware, all the cables, the sensor bar. One Wii remote and one nunchuck controller.

Reggie says there are 40 demo units here today with more than two dozen Wii games. Some are updated versions of games and some are brand new -- that we've never seen before.

9:30 EST: Invites NOA player to show off Wii Sports Bowling. "Been designed from the ground up to be playable by absolutely everyone," player says.

To play the game, the controller is swung backward and then pushed forward -- almost like you'd hit a golf ball. It's as simple as that. You can give the ball spin by tilting the controller as you release.

:33 EST: Reggie takes stage again. Says Wii Tennis Wii Golf, Wii Baseball, Wii Bowling and Wii Boxing are all included in the Wii Sports disc. Calls it a five-game compilation. "This is designed to get everyone involved playing." Game will be packed with Wii. Everyone'll get it when they buy the system.

"We'll also offer consumers the widest range of launch titles ever in the history of videogames. The list is big and -- as you'll see -- it's new and nostalgic. Unique. Delivering a brand new type of entertainment."

Talks about The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess.

Says they'll have Excite Truck ready for Wii launch.

"With Wii sports, these titles represent a fantastic trio..."

"First time we have a Zelda title available on launch day. It gives us a huge boost and huge momentum right out of the box. It's a masterpiece game. We will continue to make those big masterpiece titles for the core gamer, as well as new games to drive market expansion."

"If you were to play Zelda all day to day for six hours, you'd only be scratching the surface..."

At the event hosted by Nintendo of Japan, there were 104 Wii games demonstrated.

9:35 EST: Shows list of third party games. Ubisoft, Midway, Konami, EA, Activision, and Vivendi, the latter of which has Ice Age 2 coming.

"A bridge to gaming for mainstream audiences," says EA's Larry Probst of Wii.

"In all, approximately 30 Wii games will be available at retail during the launch window. And about half of those will be available at launch," Reggie says. Games will be priced at $49.99.

Talks about Wii channels. "Not just Virtual Console, but a total effort to redefine who will use videogames in the future."

9:45 EST: 30 Virtual Console games by the end of the year. Beginning in January, Nintendo will deliver 10 more VC games per month.

9:48 EST: Bill Trinen takes stage to talk about Wii channels. Says that these channels will make non-gamers want to pick up the Wii. Trinen goes into the Mii channel, which enables users to create virtual versions of themselves. He says he wants to create Samuel L. Jackson. Modifies hair and face on a 3D model. Changes eyes. Changes nose. Changes lips. Gives him a mustache. Changes the color of his clothes. Enter his name. This is all done easily with the Wii-mote by pointing and clicking.

Bill goes into the photo channel. "For the first time ever, photo viewing is not a time-consuming thing." Take SD Card out of your digital camera, insert into the front flap on Wii and "boom -- you're looking at digital photos." The interface is smooth, fast and easy.

Shows iPhoto-like slideshow feature complete with Ken Burns-style zooms and pans.

Shows off a movie-playack mode. You can apparently transfer home-brew movies to your Wii, view them and modify them in real-time.

10:00 EST: Reggie takes the stage. "When connected to the Internet, users have access to news and weather channels." News is constantly updated via WiiConnect24. Also a Wii message board where users can send messages and photos to other Wii owners; or to PC owners or cell phone. You can also leave messages on a calendar-based note system.

Chats about WiiConnect24. More aspects will be shared later, he says.

Back to channels. You can download the Opera Web browser using Wii points. So you'll need to buy it. Then you can surf the Net.

"We want consumers to come to rely on their Wii channels every day. Because then it's a short hop from using the Wii remote to playing their first game."

Reggie recaps. First, a revolutionary new way to play game. Second, the ability to time travel to the best of legacy content. The biggest combined software launch in history. Fourth, the unique channel system acting as a pied piper for new gamers. And finally, a price poiint that says mass market ready from day one.

Question and Answer Session Begins

Q: How much are the remotes?

A: Wii remote is $39.99 and the nunchuck attachment is $19.99.

Q: What's up with Zelda for GameCube?

A: Zelda GameCube launches on December 11.

Q: What's the cost of accessing the Internet?

A: No cost through our system. You need an Internet connection at your home. Wii is Wi-Fi enabled.

Q: First-party games will be $49.99. Will third parties price at $59.99?

A: We encourage third parties to price appropriately.

Question about 16:9 games that can't be answered.

Q: Talk about integration between DS and Wii.

A: In the future we'll talk about that.

Q: Metroid Prime 3?

A: 2007 game.

Q: When we can we expect to play games online for Wii and what kind of interface?

A: What's been announced in Japan is that the first online multiplayer game is going to be Pokemon Battle that will be launching during their launch window in Japan. When can you expect that here in the US? Shortly thereafter.

Q: How will the Wii Points be translated to Canada?

: 2,000 Wi points will be $24 Canadian.

Q&A session endsl Gameplay begins. IGN will uplaod assets shortly. By the way, Craig's posted some more pics to his blog at blogs.ign.com/craig-ign

European Wii launch: December 8th!

Price is 249 Euro/ or 179 Pounds

U get a console (duh) plus Wiimote, Nunchuk and Wii Sports for it.

It's slightly more expensive than I'd hoped it'd be, for 20 sheets more you can buy a 360 (albeit without a game). Think I'll wait and see, no need to rush anyway I think there's enough of them going to be available at launch to hold off initially.

Hopefully I will be getting it, it is a bit later then I exepcted, I was hoping October.

Is Mario launch?

I am importing for sure now. no way am i buying a locked pal console!

Nintendo UK has admitted that the Wii console is region-locked after all, despite comments from Nintendo of America to the contrary.

Speaking to GamesIndustry.biz in London this afternoon, a spokesperson admitted, "We are region-locked," and said the US arm of the company had made a mistake in saying otherwise.

Earlier we reported on a piece by Wired News, which spoke to Nintendo vice president of marketing Perrin Kaplan during yesterday's showcase event in New York, during which they were told that Nintendo would not impose regional restrictions on game software.

That situation would have been comparable to that of Xbox 360, where some games are region-free but others are not, and gamers are generally left to find out for themselves whether an import is viable.

Nintendo also admitted yesterday that it had ruled out the idea of including DVD playback functionality, contradicting earlier announcements.

"Because the price of DVD players has dropped so much and they have become so commonplace, Nintendo saw no need to create extra hardware options that would drive up the cost for consumers," a representative for the company told GameSpot.

Previously Nintendo had said it would release an attachment for the Wii console that enabled DVD playback.

Games on the system will be sold on single- or double-layered 12-centimetre optical discs, while it will also be compatible with 8-centimetre GameCube discs.

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=67653

After hearing that news, definitely not getting one at launch now and seriously reconsidering getting one at all. What is the point of locking the machine by region?

Preordered off Play.com. I hope I get it the next day. My birthday is on the 9th. \\:o/

After the 360 debacle, I don't trust Play as far as I can throw them.

Gameplay have always been reliable to me so I'm going with them. They're not taking pre-orders at the moment though.

At 180 noop, its about 50 quid more than I'm willing to pay for an updated Gamecube with a new controller............ I'll wait for the first price drop I reckon, there is more than enough on the 360 to keep me going.

£30 deposit at HMV.... mmm.. might wait till after June 07.
360 does have tons of games I haven't played yet:
COD2 (my disc broke, waiting to buy the Classic version
Dead Rising
Saints Row
Gears of War
PES6.....

But maybe I won't be able to resist LOL!

Flawl3ssCowb0y said:
After the 360 debacle, I don't trust Play as far as I can throw them.
I agree with you on this but I dont think the Wii is gonna have a shortage so it would be harder to f*ck up the preorders for it.
I know exactly what you mean which is why I wouldnt trust them with a PS3 preorder.

ClassicD said:
for 20 sheets more you can buy a 360 (albeit without a game).

Yeah, a shite core system where you can't even save, along with a wired controller. I'd much rather have that than a Wii, a game and £20 in my sky rocket.

You really think you will be able to save stuff at 180, forget it mate, it's Memory Card / whatever flash thing they will be using, and you can guess it'll be over twenty sheets, and as for Wii Sports, hmmmm longevity I'm doubting, fun yes, longevity no, it's like Buzz and Singstar, interesting and quirky, but it's not something you will want to play all day long.

sicwhite said:
Yeah, a shite core system where you can't even save, along with a wired controller. I'd much rather have that than a Wii, a game and £20 in my sky rocket.
The 'game' is being bundled with every system as they are pushing their new controller heavily. If it was a new Zelda, Metroid or Animal Crossing that everyone was getting, then I'd have more interest.

What you gonna save your Wii saves onto for £180 then, thin air?

Nintendo themselves have said they're going for a different market to Microsoft and Sony, they're not going the power route, by their own admission their machine isn't as powerful. They're pushing a very similar price tho, at least to MS' machine. They're going to make a profit on every console sold as well, not just the software, an extremely unusual thing in this day and age.

I'm not writing it off, far from it, I am very interested, but a lot of people think Nintendo can do no wrong while that's clearly not the case. Region-locking it was utterly, utterly foolish.

For the region locking thing, I think we'll find out once it's out. I see no reason to have a fit until we have absolute clarification from Nintendo. At the moment all there is is one rep from the US saying it is unlocked, and a UK rep saying it isn't. At least they've got the EU pricing on games down to a respectable level.

ClassicD said:
What you gonna save your Wii saves onto for £180 then, thin air?
The 512MB of flash memory built in would be a good place to start :) Then you have standard USB ports (maybe mass data support) and not to mention a standard SD card slot. Considering you can get a 1GB SD card for 12 quid, or 2GB for a shade over £20 I think that's pretty bloody reasonable :)

Nintendo have always made a profit from their hardware, it's nothing new and with the amount of consoles being sold these days, with economies of scale, making a profit on hardware is in theory easier.

Everyone seems to think the games are all just going to use the remote in some kind of gimmicky way, and totally ignore the fact that there's a standard controller available at launch (£14). There's absolutely nothing to stop the usual suspects pushing their yearly update shite to the mass-market as usual.

Back
Top Bottom