Microsoft Xbox 360

Re: XBox 360 - Official Thread

Holio said:
Though XB=>XB360 wont be as big a jump as PS2=>PS3, everyone has to remember that 1st Generation games are usually pretty damn poor to what machines do 2-3 years later. Look at the PS2, it's only just doing games like God of War now, that's about 8 years after developers have got been working with it.

The 360 will have a few games of quality at launch, PGR3 and Perfect Dark Zero I think will be AAA titles, but a year later or so, PGR4 and PDZ II will probably be pushing the machine much harder. So come on lads, lets get a grip, get gaming on whatever console ya like and post what games people might have missed, we're all beyond the school playground now I think

Add to your comments this: even many years into the current-gen console development cycle, a majority of games, PS2 or Xbox, are mediocre at best.

We're talking about a handful or two of games on either console that really matter in the grand scheme of things -- games that are revolutionary, or that have deep replay value, or that are actually worth $50.

No matter how sexy the specs of the next-gen consoles, I'm not looking for this to change significantly. In fact, the gorgeous, enhanced graphics of these new games will only serve to better hide a new generation of mediocrity once the excitement dies down.

To put it another way, the attention should be less on the console makers and more on game developers to really push the envelope.

Well I agree with a lot of your points, but I actually do think the jump will be large between ps2-ps3. I think the jump between current high end pc's and ps3 will be less noticable however. I think the difference between the generations wont be realised until over a year after launch however, as im sure developers wont have grasped the knowledge to unlock either machine potential until then.

Im actually a bit of a playstation fan boy, so naturally I cant wait for the ps3.But knowing that it wont come out in the uk for ages Im trying to make myself like the xbox 360 because thats gonna be availble much sooner. But unfortunately from what I've seen Im less than impressed.

I really hope some great games do come out for it on launch. Would be amazing if Konami managed to get a Pro Evo 5 for it before xmas.

But I can see myself having the same problems with the xbox 360 that I had with the first xbox. All the hyped games were pretty much all first person shooters. Am I the only gamer in the world who doesnt like first person shooers?!

But like I said, if they brought out a Pro Evo game for xbox 360 before xmas it would make the machine a must buy for me ;)

I have a similar problem with the current XBox, lots of people were into Ghost Recon, Halo, Timesplitters, etc, yet I can't get into those games with a pad.

Is there an official price for the new Xbox yet? Play.com are advertising it for £400, I nearly split my sides laughing when I saw that.

300 dollars is what I have heard for the US launch though as yet there is no official confirmation of a UK price

$300 = £165, there's no hope in hell we'll get it for that price. I heard $500 for the US one which would work out about £275, and just for fun they'll bump that up to £300 (oh how I love rip-off Britain).

Play.com tho, £400, hahaha!!!

Well charging £400 is a joke! Im with classic, i reckon the price will be £299 when released over here.

But like CWright pointed out, according to reliables sources the xbox 360 is gonna retail at around $300 in the US.

I work in a game store (well the game department in a megastore) and we recieve weekly newsletters from MCV. As many of guys know they're like an insider paper that keeps everyone in the industry informed about whats happening. They have a report this week where they have J Allard comfirming a 'sub $300' price for xbox 360.

I know this same report is on various gaming websites right now, so it seems it very well could be true.

Im sure pal region countries wont be so lucky though.

P.S any of you guys placed a pre-order for the xbox 360 yet? seems a bit premature IMO, but this week our store has already taken over 30 pre-orders! nutters

Report: ~$300 Xbox 360 by Thanksgiving

J Allard tells TheStreet.com that Microsoft's next-gen console "will be in the neighborhood" of $299; Canadian paper confirms November ship-date target.

The dwindling fog around Microsoft's launch plans for the Xbox 360 dissipated further yesterday when the likely price of the Xbox 360 was revealed. Speaking to the financial news site TheStreet.com, Microsoft corporate vice president and chief XNA architect J Allard was asked if the Xbox 360 would launch with the same $299 price tag as the original. "It's going to be in the neighborhood [of $300]," he said, apparently dispelling fears of a $399 or even $499 machine, although $350--or even $360--could still be possible. However, Allard also stressed that any final decision on the 360's price was "about two months away."

Meanwhile, further north, the Canadian daily The Globe and Mail ran an article profiling Cimtek, a small company specializing in quality assurance testing at a Chinese electronics plants. Burlington, Ontario-based Cimtek recently landed a monster contract to help oversee production of the Xbox 360 in Guangdong Province, in the south of China.

Speaking to the The Globe and Mail, Cimtek vice president of operations Craig Thornton outlined the Xbox 360 manufacturing plan, saying that the console would be in " preliminary build stage until July," after which the console will enter the product-validation phase before "hitting full-scale production in September."

Then Thornton let slip the Xbox 360's target ship date, saying of Microsoft, "They have a huge mandate for getting [the Xbox] out for Thanksgiving this year." His comments appear to confirm the November launch date accidentally posted on MTV prior to the May 12 Xbox 360 unveiling on the network. It also further cements speculation that the console would hit the market in mid-November, around the anniversary of the release of the first Xbox in 2001.

Whatever its exact price or lauch date may be, the Xbox 360 will definitely arrive before the end of 2005 worldwide. "We will be launching the next generation of Xbox in North America and Europe and Japan this holiday season," chief Xbox officer Robbie Bach told GameSpot earlier this year.
Source: http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/05/27/news_6126611.html

Doesn't seem to be as deep as GTA, looks more like a meele game with some driving added to it. Didn't like the clean look and driving too much from what I've seen. Hopefully a good game, but I don't expect it to be a GTA killer.

$300 range is a competitive price -- anything more starts to hurt sales and the $500 range is suicide.

Some New Screen Shots.

Perfect Dark Zero

perfectdarkzero01_010605.jpg

perfectdarkzero02_010605.jpg

Gears of War

01062005.001.jpg

01062005.002.jpg

01062005.003.jpg

01062005.004.jpg

Project Gotham Racing 3 :shock:

pgr3_02_010605.jpg

Perfect Dark got an absolute hammering at E3, none of the journos who saw it thought it was any good

CWright said:
Perfect Dark got an absolute hammering at E3, none of the journos who saw it thought it was any good

IGN/Gamespot/Eurogamer plus many others wouldn't agree with that. The private screening that Rare gave apparently showed great promise and was miles better than any screenshots released prior to E3.

Milanista said:
tbh that looks like an xbox game.

If you are talking about the PGR3 pic then I have to say you are completely wrong. PGR2 and Forza are no where near as good as that graphically.

Yep agree with milanista on that one, perfect dark looks like an xbox/high-end pc game.

PGR 3, however, looks like a next gen game.

All the xbox shots and footage, Folks have seen running, are on alpha dev kits. at 20% the power of the final hardware.

At least ms didn't blag everyone with CGI footage.Feck me!! Sony did with killzone!! :lmao:

Gears of war is the best looking game I've ever seen. And pd0 in motion is 1000times better than the screens.Rare will crank this game on the final hardware :D

Last edited by a moderator:

Yeah, IGN did an article on Perfect Dark and basically, the bottom line was that all the screenshots for it did NOT DO IT JUSTICE, whatsoever. They said that it looked stunning in the flesh, and like rupert says above, at the time it was only running on like 20% of the XBox 360s power :shock:

Well lets face it, perfect dark couldnt get any worse after its intial showing.

Its promising that perfect was only 20% complete, should make the game amazing when its finally released.

As for sony mocking up killzone, that demo was amazing. Easily better than gears of war. Even though killzone wasnt on ps3 hardware, in an interview the head Nvida guy said they should be able to produce games of that quality for the ps3, if not better.

Its obvious the ps3 will be more powerful than the xbox 360 (loads of developers have come out and said it), I just hope microsofts machine pushes the ps3 all the way so sony dont get too cocky.

Adonis said:

Its promising that perfect was only 20% complete, should make the game amazing when its finally released.

As for sony mocking up killzone, that demo was amazing. Easily better than gears of war. Even though killzone wasnt on ps3 hardware, in an interview the head Nvida guy said they should be able to produce games of that quality for the ps3, if not better.

Its obvious the ps3 will be more powerful than the xbox 360 (loads of developers have come out and said it), I just hope microsofts machine pushes the ps3 all the way so sony dont get too cocky.
you're very wrong.Gears of war was in Game footage. Kill zone was a tech demo.

And head to head the Xbox 360 is superior the ps3. Hideo kojima even says so

This is proof..... http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/617/617951p1.html

And perfect dark isn't 20% complete. It is in fact running on an alpha kit with 20% of the x360 final power.

Adonis said:

WRONG IGN PROVES THAT xbox360 is more powerfull.....read.

GAMING EXPERTS

"Now that the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 specifications have been announced, it is possible to do a real world performance comparison of the two systems.

There are three critical performance aspects of a console:

Central Processing Unit (CPU) performance.

The Xbox 360 CPU architecture has three times the general purpose processing power of the Cell.

Graphics Processing Unit (GPU) performance

The Xbox 360 GPU design is more flexible and it has more processing power than the PS3 GPU.

Memory System Bandwidth

The memory system bandwidth in Xbox 360 exceeds the PS3's by five t
imes

Im still getting both too.

But regarding your 'proof', that article published by ign even states that they dont endorse it, its an email from microsoft.

The sony's e3 conference showed comparisons to xbox 360 and its much more powerful. But if you dont want to believe sony then why believe microsoft?

Im no sony fanboy as Im getting the xbox 360, but I guarentee when ps3 launches it'll be much more powerful than 360. its just common sense, sony wont release its machines after its rival and make it less powerful. the proof you should be looking for isnt from fansites like ign, its from developers who make the games. A number of xbox only publishers have defected to ps3 because, in their own words, 'its much more powerful'.

Thats not always good though, coz the xbox was a more powerful platform than ps2 but we all know who won that battle.

Adonis said:
Im still getting both too.

But regarding your 'proof', that article published by ign even states that they dont endorse it, its an email from microsoft.

The sony's e3 conference showed comparisons to xbox 360 and its much more powerful. But if you dont want to believe sony then why believe microsoft?

Im no sony fanboy as Im getting the xbox 360, but I guarentee when ps3 launches it'll be much more powerful than 360. its just common sense, sony wont release its machines after its rival and make it less powerful. the proof you should be looking for isnt from fansites like ign, its from developers who make the games. A number of xbox only publishers have defected to ps3 because, in their own words, 'its much more powerful'.

Thats not always good though, coz the xbox was a more powerful platform than ps2 but we all know who won that battle.
Who has defected? To PS3?.....H.KOJIMA. Has already slagged ps3 hardware......He said that xbox360 is the more realistic console ( in terms of projected promises). The Ps3 "cell" and the ps2 "Emotion engine" are buzzwords..............For instance when did the PS2 ever show it's "emotion engine"!!!!!!!!!?????????????

Know what, a week back I saw articles saying the exact oposite you said!
And I read also that Kojima said that the PS3 is more powerfull.

My point is that you, me, every soul on this forum doesn't have a f#"# clue what is x360 and PS3 REAL power.
One other thing just came to my mind is that remember that x360 will be running an custom version of Windows Media Center. Now that should suck up system resources!
But specs are not gonna win this, games are.

Just look at the numbers. 90million PS2's out there, and "only" 20million xbox's.

I'm not getting both, cause simply money is something of a problem around these parts, but If it has got MGS, PES, GT or PGR, GTA, then that console it's gonna take my heart! And If both have, i'll probably stick to the PS3, mostly cause in the past it has brought me lots of joy! But I'm no fanboy, I just want the best.

Guys don't start a damn flame war over the specs, it isn't necessary and none of us want to hear it. Technical specs are just that...Specs. It doesn't give you any indication of how good a system and it's games will be. Both consoles are stupidly powerful on paper, the real question is whether the developers have the imagination and innovation to produce good quality and unique games.

Back
Top Bottom