Matchpoint - Tennis Championship [All Platforms]

Mark Walberg brother with some cortisone treatment?

No - it is Tim Henman...

henman300371.jpg

I played the game today, just a quick one set.
The game has been improved since the demo, but it is also lacking in so many areas.

Lack of players, and player likenesses are absolutely terrible.
The gameplay is 'OK' and you can have some decent rallies with lots of different shot variation.
However the ice skating of the players when hitting the ball is just funny and really off putting to watch.
The main issues for me though, is the severe lack of atmosphere - There is absolutely nothing, it is like playing tennis down a local park.
The developers also need to add another skill level, I won on the hardest skill level, first time playing - This is just not acceptable.

The only thing going for the game is that, it is free.
The atmosphere is rather weak to put it politely. As the commentary. I don't even know why they can't do a proper commentary. It's not like you need huge resources for it. Put there someone who knows about tennis and record some proper lines. It's not football or basketball. Anyway.
There is some skating but I'm not bothered tbh. Even NBA2k after so many years is struggling with foot planting implementation.
Career mode at Professional offers some good challenge here and there. As I said gameplay is good. They got the fundamentals right. Rallies are good and spot on, unforced errors exist, there a lot of points ending soon after a good serve, net play is miles ahead of the other competition, lobs are great and AI recovery after them is nice.
This review is absolutely spot on:
https://waytoomany.games/2022/07/07/review-matchpoint-tennis-championships/

Tim Mehman then, is fake name.
But there's players better made to be honest. That one seems to be (bad) made with the in game creator, from a guy in the team doing him quickly.

Tim Mehman then, is fake name.
But there's players better made to be honest. That one seems to be (bad) made with the in game creator, from a guy in the team doing him quickly.

You would like to think that buy you have to pay £7.99 additional to unlock him and Tommy Haas.

Got the game, that's meant to be Tim Henman btw.............

Game is good to a certain extent until it hits the issue all TS4 players were a bit blinded about.

Ground strokes are all straight line shots, no sidespin or curve on them, exactly the same as TS4. Still TS4 somehow became THE tennis game for a lot of people, I still cannot fathom why. Clearly not into ball physics that lot.

AO Tennis 1/2 and TWT2 ended up with lovely curving shots after I nagged at Mikey Merren on planetcricket forum, the Tennis games section, where he eventually agreed and started implementing lifelike curling shots.

But this game, as with TS4, sadly is for all those that wouldn't known Tennis ball never flies dead straight through the air if they were hit by one.

Got the game, that's meant to be Tim Henman btw.............

Game is good to a certain extent until it hits the issue all TS4 players were a bit blinded about.

Ground strokes are all straight line shots, no sidespin or curve on them, exactly the same as TS4. Still TS4 somehow became THE tennis game for a lot of people, I still cannot fathom why. Clearly not into ball physics that lot.

AO Tennis 1/2 and TWT2 ended up with lovely curving shots after I nagged at Mikey Merren on planetcricket forum, the Tennis games section, where he eventually agreed and started implementing lifelike curling shots.

But this game, as with TS4, sadly is for all those that wouldn't known Tennis ball never flies dead straight through the air if they were hit by one.
Yes, I raised the issue regarding side spin in this thread. Devs also know about it. I don't know if they're planning to implement it later.

So if this game was a football game ,what would it be/represent?
Modern FUT Fifa 22 with unrealistic movement or a older FIFA or even one of the great Pes?
Just for reference ,and mainly gameplay comparison.
I'm to lazy to try it myself right now ,but I will later on.

So if this game was a football game ,what would it be/represent?
Modern FUT Fifa 22 with unrealistic movement or a older FIFA or even one of the great Pes?
Just for reference ,and mainly gameplay comparison.
I'm to lazy to try it myself right now ,but I will later on.
Gameplay wise is the best you can find right now in tennis videogaming. It's quite easy though especially for experienced players.

Gameplay wise is the best you can find right now in tennis videogaming. It's quite easy though especially for experienced players.
Don't mean to interrupt this thread, but if you're looking for the best (by that i mean most realistic gameplay wise with the best control mechanics) i still believe Full Ace Tennis Simulator (pc/steam) is the best Tennis game by a mile. Sure Matchpoint looks great (FATS looks pretty simple in comparison) ... But after playing the demo, it doesn't come close to the realistic gameplay mechanics of FATS. Still cannot believe a one man indie team game can be this good. Thankfully the developer of FATS is obviously so damn passionate that he is constantly updating the game based on fan feedback, and there are also great patches/mods with real players and tournaments which often get updated. For me its like the PES21 of tennis games... Here is a clip i uploaded today playing around with some camera settings:

Don't mean to interrupt this thread, but if you're looking for the best (by that i mean most realistic gameplay wise with the best control mechanics) i still believe Full Ace Tennis Simulator (pc/steam) is the best Tennis game by a mile. Sure Matchpoint looks great (FATS looks pretty simple in comparison) ... But after playing the demo, it doesn't come close to the realistic gameplay mechanics of FATS. Still cannot believe a one man indie team game can be this good. Thankfully the developer of FATS is obviously so damn passionate that he is constantly updating the game based on fan feedback, and there are also great patches/mods with real players and tournaments which often get updated. For me its like the PES21 of tennis games... Here is a clip i uploaded today playing around with some camera settings:

I play both Full Ace and Tennis Elbow. I'm not comparing this one to them. The above ones are for a different clientele and certainly not for casual gamers.

Thanks.
I should be fine then since I'll most likely suck:)
Don't worry, it's not that hard if you focus on one Tennis game.
Tennis game are not complicated, one or two stuff is to know is like in Tennis :
1. As long as you return try to return to the center of the court to start...
2. Don't make a super diagonal if your player is from on the very left and you're completely on your Right (opposite)... It's a gift to him for a straight strong ball if he isn't dumb.
3. Well, lob is like a skill, i shouldn't say it as you probably know but use it when you feel the player too close to the Volley (and caliber the strenght if your closer. It rarely work when you're in the court back line.

I'm especially a player for the back of the court, playing more with power/precision than a complete player or a Serve and Volley.
But on career mode : i always tend to increase serving at the max i can. Just the syndical minimum in Serve and Speed (used to anticipate)

A like in Winjdammers wich have some similarity to a tennis game : i'm way better with the 2nd strongest or the 1st player but aslo the 2 slowers, and shitty with the fastest. Average with the guy balanced.

I can aswell play to TS4 or Virtua Tennis 1/2 (never got the chance to try the 3) aswell as Super Tennis/Final Match Tennis on PC Engine or ATP Tour on megadrvie which have a totally different approach more... Virtua Ten-ish.

Thanks bro i saw the game but didn't took attentin as a PC only. I preferred to not watching vids because if it's good... I need to throw something expensive on the wall. Edit: just saw, it's looking good damn. Seems even closer to Top spin with more effect on the ball, but less inertia.

Plans for a future console ports as i didn't follow that game? I don't think Steam got some kind of exclusivity : it's the producer which decide

Don't worry, it's not that hard if you focus on one Tennis game.
Tennis game are not complicated, one or two stuff is to know is like in Tennis :
1. As long as you return try to return to the center of the court to start...
2. Don't make a super diagonal if your player is from on the very left and you're completely on your Right (opposite)... It's a gift to him for a straight strong ball if he isn't dumb.
3. Well, lob is like a skill, i shouldn't say it as you probably know but use it when you feel the player too close to the Volley (and caliber the strenght if your closer. It rarely work when you're in the court back line.

I'm especially a player for the back of the court, playing more with power/precision than a complete player or a Serve and Volley.
But on career mode : i always tend to increase serving at the max i can. Just the syndical minimum in Serve and Speed (used to anticipate)

A like in Winjdammers wich have some similarity to a tennis game : i'm way better with the 2nd strongest or the 1st player but aslo the 2 slowers, and shitty with the fastest. Average with the guy balanced.

I can aswell play to TS4 or Virtua Tennis 1/2 (never got the chance to try the 3) aswell as Super Tennis/Final Match Tennis on PC Engine or ATP Tour on megadrvie which have a totally different approach more... Virtua Ten-ish.
I really like tennis great sport to watch ,I use to play a lot growing up.
Felt pretty solid to me (the game)

Matchpoint or the other @rockstrongo ? To me both seems solid.

I like both vids, but tend to like the second too, a bit less dynamic but seems physically closer to TS. Because there's not only the ball that matter, players movement and weight shift, inertia and real life speed and physics... Influencing many factors.

That's why people as a complete game, not "ball direction centric" tend to say that TS4 is the best Tennis game release. Every part is worked, well the curve effect are less visible but they were really present and effective from a scratch you could win a point with some effect. It was just less visible (like in reality to my opinion : as it's a game it should have been a bit "exaggerated", but it would have kill the player real-life speed)

Just that i have no choice it's Matchpoint or nothing lol.

Matchpoint or the other @rockstrongo ? To me both seems solid.

I like both vids, but tend to like the second too, a bit less dynamic but seems physically closer to TS. Because there's not only the ball that matter, players movement and weight shift, inertia and real life speed and physics... Influencing many factors.

That's why people as a complete game, not "ball direction centric" tend to say that TS4 is the best Tennis game release. Every part is worked, well the curve effect are less visible but they were really present and effective from a scratch you could win a point with some effect. It was just less visible (like in reality to my opinion : as it's a game it should have been a bit "exaggerated", but it would have kill the player real-life speed)

Just that i have no choice it's Matchpoint or nothing lol.
Im sure I'll plow down plenty of hours in this one

Are you guys having fun with the game? Because I'm certainly still having a lot of fun! I'm even having some challenging opponents deep in career mode. I'm winning but I had some great matches against the AI.
This is such a great tennis game gameplay wise. The devs have a rough diamond in their hands. They just need to listen to us and Matchpoint 2 can be absolutely fantastic in every department.

I have tried it again, but really can't get into it.
The shot variation is pretty good.

But the horrendous ice skating, lack of atmosphere and players makes it an absolute turn off for me + it is a little easy.

So, I have uninstalled it and might try it again in 6 months to see if they have improved it at all.

No more Demo (i searched some days ago and yesterday) so i can't really tell.
Hard to judge as to me the player's movement and physics are also important regarding the logic of ball direction/deflection/curve.

I tried a career mode on the game to see if things got any better.

TBH, the game plays not a bad game and there is some potential there and I have enjoyed it a little.

However the game needs a lot of work.

The biggest issue is obviously lack of atmosphere and not feeling like your in stadium and more down the local park.
2nd, I tried using shot variation of trying different things to then find you only actually need to use the topspin button to win and play the game.
But there are two massive bugs in the game which need fixing immediately:-
1. The ball clearly being in and out, and the game giving the wrong decision - This is fundamental in a tennis game and needs to be sorted with patches.
2. Lobbing players need to be fixed - When the CPU comes to the net you lob them and there is a weird glitch where the AI will chase the ball and not get it even though they are right next to - Sometimes they will even zig zag to not hit the ball.

The difficulty also needs to change, since the 1st tournament, I have only lost a couple of games mainly due to lack of interest and knowing I have already won the set more than anything else.
I even beat the number 2 ranked player in the game at the Rio Open 6-0, 6-0, I have ratings in the low 20's, he was the high 20's - I should be getting beaten, but showing a good effort.

There is some potential in the game, but I doubt they will be fixed.
I get the feeling some people will buy the game, as there just isn't a decent game available.
The career mode is good, but unfortunately problems with the gameplay, let this down too much.

I am going to keep playing till I win Wimbledon, as I am now ranked in the Top 100 so going to skip everything till then.

Yeah, incredible that we're in 2022, and the last best tennis game I played was Top Spin 4 on the Xbox360.

I've been playing this new one (Matchpoint) for the last couple of weeks, and good gracious, it needs a lot of dev work... It's so unbalanced that getting points while NOT serving is easier than when you're actually serving (assuming you don't ace your serve, which is also pretty easy)... and I'm playing on the hard difficulty level, with a created player bearing low stats... It sure has a lot of potential, gameplay-wise that is. But I believe the lack of licenses and real-life players (apart from half-a-dozen or fewer) will hurt it in the long run.

One could only imagine what 2k could do with a full licensed tennis game in the current generation. Too bad it won't happen anytime soon :(

TBH, I have played it more and started to enjoy it a bit more.
But there is a lot of issues with the game.

I will need to post videos, but the amount of times the ball goes IN/OUT and the opposite it called, just shouldn't happen on a game these days.
The difficulty is also the main issue for me, I am rated 20-24 on all my stats the computer sometimes is rated 80-90 and I hammer them 6-0, 6-0.
This should not be happening, the game is just way too easy.
Once you learn to serve, then it is an absolute breeze to hold serve and breaking requires absolutely no effort.

I feel it is more, me trying to force myself to like the game, but deep down I know it is absolute garbage.

I am currently playing the Monte Carlo Open and have won every tournament so far.

Well, now, i'm really hesitating to buy that game lol. + that @fear knows a bit that there's a "Top Spin" sequel in preparation.

But i'm very good too with retro games, like Final Set Tennis (PC-Engine) or Super Tennis (Snes) if i want fun.
And i still go TS4 is i want realism regarding inertia and players physics. Got Tennis Elbow too, but i ain't the biggest fan of that game already told the reasons.

Yes and i found that Super Tennis in fact has nothing to envy to that game, with all the possibilities etc.
Talking about Final Match Tennis, you can get the roms with inspired players real names.

For Super Tennis also players where inspired by Lendl, Agassi etc. but i don't know if there's a patch. I just got a booklet with all possible moves and strong point for every players (impressive for that era).

Don't remember which one, or the 2 games, you can found full players stats (power, backhand, speed, forehand, serve etc.).

Now i remember on one of the two games, you make some buttons combination and you can see stats. For the other i found it on a FAQs or a website guide if i remember (i think it's Final Match Tennis who got a blog dedicated)

One thing I think would be great is if they released a modern tennis game but with a roster of all-time greats.

Federer, Sampras, Nadal, Agassi, Borg, McEnroe, Lendl, Djokovic, Connors, Edberg, Becker, etc.. A full roster of tennis legends would be great, I'd purchase it in a second. :TU:

Back
Top Bottom