Matchpoint - Tennis Championship [All Platforms]

Nice, will have to check it out. Have you played it?

No, but thought I would have a look.
Hasn't been a good tennis game for a very very long time, Tennis Elbow is still the best available.
But also haven't tried Tennis Elbow 4, which was released last July to Early Access - Although there is also a demo available for that too.

Matchpoint – Tennis Championships releases on July 7th 2022 for PlayStation®4|5, Xbox One, Xbox Series X|S, and PC
1656595177292.png

https://www.ign.com/articles/matchpointtennischampionshipsthefirstpreview

Looks like after AO and Tennis World Tour, we finally (crossing fingers) got a good tennis game which reach at least the Top Spin 4 Level.
Tons of FR and English vids saying "finally a good tennis game?" or even "the successor of Top Spin"?

I think to purchase that one. What i've seen and read is really the kind of tennis game i (we) definitively need. It's very, very "TopSpin-ish"

Didn't know there was a demo. Will try it tonight.
So it's kinda like AO Tennis : looks more or less good (after 50 patchs) on screen but not with controller in hands?
Sad. Really.

Because animations, physics, and all the package seems above the 2 only tennis games out after TS4 (Ao and TWorldTour).
I mean : the basis seems all in the game for a good tennis gaming experience... Perhaps not the inertia from TS4 that obligates you to return to the center of the court if you want to play safe. That's something i just noticed it's missing. On the vids the guys doesn't seems to know how to play all balls are out lol.

But perhaps it will please me, taste and colors...

Thanks for the feedback mate. Hope to get more feedbacks, it's weird as all the preview said "we finally got a good tennis game". Perhaps they don't even remember how a good tennis game was

Last edited:
Played it back in February, which was a long time ago.
So hopefully they have improved it a lot since then.

"Finally got round to trying this for the first time.

Incredibly bad tennis game and even though an early demo, can't see any potential for the game at all.
Normally you can say it does this well, or there could be a good game here - But no there isn't even a remotely good game there."

Don't want Tennis Elbow style at all. The engine is too old and far too stretched to "imitate" physics. And there's missing inertia, ball power feeling etc. and i trough it's essential for a current/recent gen tennis game. It's a great effort from one guy but i believe people overrate to much that game probably for that.

Prefers by far Top Spin as a full package (on the pitch). Tennis Elbow 4 so? If it's only a PC game i'll switch unfortunately.
A member said that 2k Czeck moved to another dev company never heard of it and preparing a future Tennis Game... But i don't know if it was from real source or if it was an hope or a guess.

Didn't tried yet that game btw, you make me fear.
Your conclusions cames from the overall feeling?

So, without rumor or source, no Tennis game. Hate AO Tennis system with the circle to aim where the ball should rebound.
It's a feeling killer. Never tried neither Tennis World Tour but i saw vids and that was enough.

-No Tennis Game (to me) except if the czech team is behind a new Tennis game (nothing confirmed or supposed anywhere, too lazy to found the member who said it today.. Will try later)
-No Boxing Game : still waiting since 3 years Esport Boxing club... No sign of life. But EA posted a Fight Night logo on their twitter.

FFS that was the 2 type of game you could found tons of pretty good ones when they were under 8 and more 16 bits. It was the 2 classics type of sports games (more tennis as a sport than Boxing but you know what i mean)

Just a heads up about this one. It's by far the best effort for a decent tennis game since TS4. Ofc it's a bit rough and there are a lot areas that need improvement. The fundamentals of tennis are there, animations are the best since TS4, net play doesn't feel that awkward, there are unforced errors. They need to improve a bit the ball physics by adding side spin but even like this the game is way better than both AO and TWT games.

So it's bad or at least promising? I don't have access to my PS5 ftm to try.
But 1 on 3 gives totally different feedback.

So for you, the fundamental are there but it need improvement? That's logic for a first version/demo. I don't remember Top Spin being awesome directly from the first version, just averagely good with fundamentals.

So it's bad or at least promising? I don't have access to my PS5 ftm to try.
But 1 on 3 gives totally different feedback.

So for you, the fundamental are there but it need improvement? That's logic for a first version/demo. I don't remember Top Spin being awesome directly from the first version, just averagely good with fundamentals.
This is coming from a person that played every single tennis videogame since mid 80s and also played tennis irl. So I'm always harsh with these games as I am with the football ones. The game is better that AO2 and TW2. It's not the perfect tennis videogame, it's not TS4 but even this one right now doesn’t accurately represent the sport because of the long rallies and the way you have to feel the tiresome on your controller to have the AI commit unforced errors.

Last edited:
The demo wasn't great, but the full game is available from 1AM tomorrow morning (on GamePass), so will give it a new go in the morning.
Hopefully the full game is going to be a lot better than the demo.

It's on game pass right?
I'm deffo trying it ,never played any tennis games before ,bit I really love tennis so why not

This is coming from a person that played every single tennis videogame since mid 80s and also played tennis irl. So I'm always harsh with these games as I am with the football ones. The game is better that AO2 and TW2. It's not the perfect tennis videogame, it's not TS4 but even this one right now doesn’t accurately represent the sport because of the long rallies and the way you have to feel the tiresome on your controller to have the AI commit unforced errors.
That's what i read on the preview for the full game (not the demo). They said the series with some updates could be the successor, even in better, than TS4.
The reason i was surprised by the reactions here as the game is nicely praised on websites, and even harsh ones (like in France / Gamekult)

That's what i read on the preview for the full game (not the demo). They said the series with some updates could be the successor, even in better, than TS4.
The reason i was surprised by the reactions here as the game is nicely praised on websites, and even harsh ones (like in France / Gamekult)
Most impressions here are from an early demo build. The game will be available in 1h on Gamepass so most of you can give it a go and have a discussion about it tomorrow. There will also be a Top Spin reboot announcent from Hangar 13 soon.

From what i care about the presentation and long matches... I like the personnalisation/players creation (important for non-licenced players) no idea but i hope you can create some like on practically every actual tennis games. And i saw the price, it's closer to 44.99 than 64.99 so... Think to take a physical copy.

Thanks @fear from feedbacks and links

Also about Top Spin reboot, i suppose that we're not really close from the release, so another reason to buy Matchpoint.

Last edited:
From what i care about the presentation and long matches... I like the personnalisation/players creation (important for non-licenced players) no idea but i hope you can create some like on practically every actual tennis games. And i saw the price, it's closer to 44.99 than 64.99 so... Think to take a physical copy.

Thanks @fear from feedbacks and links

Also about Top Spin reboot, i suppose that we're not really close from the release, so another reason to buy Matchpoint.
Played a bit more today and this is hands down the best tennis game since TS4. I'm going to send some feedback later to the devs if they can add another difficulty level. Top Spin veterans and people that played tennis will find it a bit easy even at Professional difficulty unless ofc they use hugely handicapped players regarding their stats.

Played a bit more today and this is hands down the best tennis game since TS4. I'm going to send some feedback later to the devs if they can add another difficulty level. Top Spin veterans and people that played tennis will find it a bit easy even at Professional difficulty unless ofc they use hugely handicapped players regarding their stats.
Yeah, i played Top Spin 3 then 4 and even in the hardest difficulty : it was too easy for me. Didn't loose a game to be champion on Grand Chelem, so on every tournament. A bit at first then it was a formality to win a quarter, semi, final etc., just that there were more exchange and some loosing points.

So if it's easier, i'll be quickly bored once i learn mecanics (i'm good to 3 types of games with no order Fighting (2d or 3d)/Tennis. Bad on Boxing but i try.
It's like velo in fact. But one exception i lost a lot of my skills regarding PES PS2 retro versions. Before, i got a way to play, similar, i don't have it anymore.
But Tennis, Fighting : no problem give me whatever game and a week and i'm trained enough to rivals high ranked people.

Back to TS4: after i make the turn of Career mode and Tournaments : i tried online (Tennis game online are kinda like a 1 vs 1 > so a bit like a Fighting game) but i was disappointed by the servers quality even if i was aware of it from tests. Lot of lags etc., player reacting to low and on Tennis game, i just can as it's like 1cm / 0.25 sec. too late and you miss.

But i've got some good games, amusing by far less predictable of course than the CPU so i continued. 1 game on 2 where +- okay in terms of online quality, that's not enough. Also noticed than ranking got a slightly better connexion at the time (logic, but not fair if you want to train vs humans)

I played the game today, just a quick one set.
The game has been improved since the demo, but it is also lacking in so many areas.

Lack of players, and player likenesses are absolutely terrible.
The gameplay is 'OK' and you can have some decent rallies with lots of different shot variation.
However the ice skating of the players when hitting the ball is just funny and really off putting to watch.
The main issues for me though, is the severe lack of atmosphere - There is absolutely nothing, it is like playing tennis down a local park.
The developers also need to add another skill level, I won on the hardest skill level, first time playing - This is just not acceptable.

The only thing going for the game is that, it is free.

Last edited:
Guess the tennis player:-
tennis.png

So we need patchs again and again.
It's the standard now since the Patch/Online connexion H24 democratision.

When you see AO Tennis from an awful game to an "just good" one, even if it's not a super game it's day and night with the launch.
Like now, tons of games. Brought a game day one with very few exceptions isn't a good idea / well you probably got PS+ so it's free, but not for me lol.

Also, i was supposed to post it on the appropriate tread but it's a comparison about the Gamepass and new PS+, so O.T.

My eyes popped out when i saw the Gamepass price. Even vs "Extra" or the middle option 89.99 euros from Sony, the one i'm more interested. I brought in discount a PS3 and i can't play all the game due to licence. And i ain't interested FTM by the new PS+ even basic. Too expensive, and i don't play that much on PS5 : much more back to retro ATM, then later even if the 59.99 usual one year deal offers more than the older PS+

The "Extra" option don't interest me : but the one above yes, to play on Cloud. But still too much games with story to finish, i take much more time on PS2 to discover and rediscover games : and it's awesome for a Retrogamer like me. And i got TS4 for free on my Jailbreak PS3, Fight Night 4 and Champions + Remade game (Devil May Cry HD trilogy) as i love HD remade. R.Evil Code Veronica HD too. Etc. Etc.

So no need their 15% of games catalog as the others got licences / same issue on Xbox but they got retro-compatibility at least... Just making a bit pain in the ass and risky to buy 12 years old DVD in discount.

Also, no "middle option". Sony did a very good move in terms of price and comparison, a bit late but it's NOW that people's brought more consoles and games from the new gen.

One last thing personal again regarding retro-gaming :
for PS2 i got all i need to make the image superb looking (upscaler + scanlines generator, wanted a Retrotink 2X (later i will brought it) but found another system twice cheaper.
Some issue like PAL games black screen (but they're super good looking in 576i Component) and 2 material.
Retrotink 5x is like 250-300 euro just for an image scaler, 120-130 for the 2X when it was available (not in stock so you got to pay a + price a bit expensive).
I love having a good image signal provided, and hate all the pixelated stuffs like nets in PES, or tons of Retro games on Raspberry. Just that, it's like an obsession lol, even if it's not visible with distance. Well i think the Xbox X or S upscale every games so they looks superb but their catalog + the thing i said about game in discount are a big issue. Otherwhise i would i've brought that console. But Sony Exclusive... There's tons of classics

Back
Top Bottom