FIFA 18 (Console Versions)

The other huge part of this is that it's massively influenced by our own skill levels and how we play the game. You keep making blanket assumptions that playing assisted makes the game too easy (I think you're exact words were "assisted is piss easy and it always has been") but that's inaccurate, unfair, and a rather arrogant assumption.

I'd like to see them include the Ultimate difficulty in all offline modes. There's no reason they can't include it, it already exists! It's strange.

messing around with my tv without the ps4 pro hdr, gone from one extreme to the next!

Christ, you'll have to wear sunglasses for that.

Last edited:

messing around with my tv without the ps4 pro hdr, gone from one extreme to the next!
I own bravia tv 2016 model (not hdr) put it in game mode and I must say only strange thing I noticed is dark lightning in Santiago Bernabeu. other stadiums look great with weather and season set by default if you have in mind. everyone should also look in calibration settings in fifa to set brightness and contrast right, that helps a lot...

Sliders.. meh. I would rather the game developers actually took the time to make a proper BALANCED game... why are we having to piss about with Sliders?
I personally don’t want to arse myself falsifying the game to please me by messing about with sliders.
You expect EA to magically know what you want and then to prioritize it over what every other individual wants?

Crickey. You live in fairy land. Stop pointlessly blaming EA for its 'laziness' and spend an hour or two customising the game to your own taste!

Been playing the demo to death on World Class difficulty, semi assisted everything except for manual shooting. Have played Toronto about 20 times, each time with a different team. I've lost every single one of them. Not sure how I feel about that at the moment.

This game plays like an absolute dream though...

Been playing the demo to death on World Class difficulty, semi assisted everything except for manual shooting. Have played Toronto about 20 times, each time with a different team. I've lost every single one of them. Not sure how I feel about that at the moment.

Agreed with everything here. I can't win to save my life on world-class with manual passing. Got a draw once! Haha. Excellent game indeed. Don't think I've ever played a football game demo this much. Looking much forward to the full game. :)

lol i can't win a game on professional

Played last night against Toronto with Real beat them 1-0 on Professional still had the training wheels on all assisted. Felt I had the game figured out so today I play same assisted settings Professional difficulty Juve vs PSG and got thumped 3-1 at the 80th minute mark I just cut the console off. Game is going to be a joy to play. When I take off the assistance and start playing my normal 8 to 10 minute matches the game difficulty I hope will still be there after the dreaded patches that will be sure to come.

So it looks like you can only offer wages in increments of 10k? This kind of kills the game for lower league management. I wanted to sign a new striker and the lowest I could offer (aside from 1 pound) was 10,000 pounds a week, most of my squad is on one or two thousand pounds. :|

Edit: Maybe not? Watching the transfer negotiation videos and it looks like there is a way to manually edit the units that I must have missed.

Last edited:
Watching the transfer negotiation videos and it looks like there is a way to manually edit the units that I must have missed.
Yeah I think it's the same as 17, i.e. you press triangle/Y and you can edit each unit of the wage/fee.

Looking forward to seeing if transfers are changed beyond the cutscenes - I found in 17 that negotiations were a bit too, er, tetchy/awkward... Guy wants £3,000 a week, I offer £2,800, he says no, I offer £3,000, he STILL says no, but he doesn't explain why. Then I'll offer him £3,200, and he'll say he "wants to understand his role".

So I offer £3,200 PLUS the "crucial first team player" clause, and he either rejects it, rejects it and refuses to negotiate further, or (occasionally) rejects it saying that he needs to be more important (there is no more important setting)...

I have watched a lot of video reviews on FIFA18 and PES2018, all these reviews don't do the games justice by criticising areas of the game that can be fixed in the game. The leaving out of the option files that can sort out PES's negative reviewed criticism of licenses. And sliders that can fix a lot of FIFA's negatively reviewed aspects, passing, shooting, etc.

I have watched a lot of video reviews on FIFA18 and PES2018, all these reviews don't do the games justice by criticising areas of the game that can be fixed in the game. The leaving out of the option files that can sort out PES's negative reviewed criticism of licenses. And sliders that can fix a lot of FIFA's negatively reviewed aspects, passing, shooting, etc.
Funnily enough, I feel the exact opposite! Changing the tactics in PES doesn't stop the AI hitting chipped through-balls to the wingers or chipped through-balls to the middle (nor can you really improve goal variety) - and changing the sliders in FIFA tends to help one thing and break another (plus, there's no slider to adjust AI intelligence, and the leaps between difficulty levels lead to the AI ignoring their tactics so that they can press and pass you to death).

I've not played the full version of FIFA yet and a few people are saying it's a lot better, so I'm crossing my fingers. Don't get me wrong.

Either way, I honestly don't think you can fix either game's current major faults through editing. (But then everyone wants different things, and, no game is perfect...)

Funnily enough, I feel the exact opposite! Changing the tactics in PES doesn't stop the AI hitting chipped through-balls to the wingers or chipped through-balls to the middle (nor can you really improve goal variety) - and changing the sliders in FIFA tends to help one thing and break another (plus, there's no slider to adjust AI intelligence, and the leaps between difficulty levels lead to the AI ignoring their tactics so that they can press and pass you to death).

I've not played the full version of FIFA yet and a few people are saying it's a lot better, so I'm crossing my fingers. Don't get me wrong.

Either way, I honestly don't think you can fix either game's current major faults through editing. (But then everyone wants different things, and, no game is perfect...)
Chris, in the last 2-3 years Fifa and PES improved a lot manual passing and at least in Fifa I can clearly see difference between good and bad passer becouse they are stat dependant. That is not present at PES in last years game, can`t speak about PES 2018 becouse I can`t stand those passes when ball is not going straight but bounce even if passer have great stats for passing but somehow if distance is a little longer the ball goes off the ground. In Fifa 18 I can clearly see the difference, playing full manual makes the game a lot different. For example playing with LA Galaxy and Toronto, two similar teams in terms of strenght but in La Galaxy Jones gives you stability and his passes are more precise even on manual, on the other side you have Giovinco who is short player but have very good technique and that make him to stand above all other players right when he recieves the ball. Interesting thing that I noticed is when good player recieves the ball and have great creativity stats all other players around him responds to that in terms of making runs and opponent open spaces alone. This programming have good and bad side but I won`t discuss it now. Playing Fifa in semi pro full manual makes great balance becouse with default sliders opponet have around 80% pass accuracy, also I see a lot of variation during attacks and defending of the AI, playing game with tactical defending giving you full control on the pitch. I haven`s seen this in PES after ps2 days...

You expect EA to magically know what you want and then to prioritize it over what every other individual wants?

Crickey. You live in fairy land. Stop pointlessly blaming EA for its 'laziness' and spend an hour or two customising the game to your own taste!
Errr no I haven't said that at all? I said I want them to provide a "Balanced" game which is one of the buzzwords they used in the build up to FIFA 18's launch.

I 100% respect and understand that it is personal taste. I have already stated what I think of FIFA 18 and I am gutted that I find it far to easy.

Online as I said before I am scoring 4 5 and sometimes 6 goals a match!

Never ever trust reviews from anywhere that relies on advertising, good or bad reviews.
It is weird that they've given PES and FIFA equal scores, and PES doesn't get mentioned in the FIFA review at any point (which is probably a good thing, but really unusual).

My favourite review is the GamingNexus one: FIFA 18 Review

Though unfortunately he black-and-white says that he can't see (or feel) "team styles". "This is a non-starter for me because I just do not see the difference, other than maybe players making more runs in the midfield."

It is weird that they've given PES and FIFA equal scores, and PES doesn't get mentioned in the FIFA review at any point (which is probably a good thing, but really unusual).

My favourite review is the GamingNexus one: FIFA 18 Review

Though unfortunately he black-and-white says that he can't see (or feel) "team styles". "This is a non-starter for me because I just do not see the difference, other than maybe players making more runs in the midfield."

Honestly I don't think any game is given a through playthrough to be given a clear score at the end, its more like first impressions especially when it comes to sports games, but as usual they have deadlines to meet as nobody wants to read a review after the game comes out.

I cannot wait to get back on it on Friday I absolutely loved my 10 hours with it.

No Switch reviews. Find that a bit odd.
Not really, if you're only going to review one version of the game as a site you'd review the game most people will play, and that's the PS4/XB1 version.

They'll appear eventually (I did read earlier today - might have been on Reddit but I can't remember - that someone really enjoyed the Switch version given the gameplay and the fact that it's portable).

Eurogamer review: FIFA 18 Review

It earns a "recommended" label but they make it sound like a ping-pong goalfest. I always trust Eurogamer too but it feels like a weird review...
Tip for you CDRom which will save you £50... it is a ping pong Goal Fest!

IGN said the same as Eurogamer.
TDSAP says the same as both and has sunk a number of hours in courtesy of EA Access on Xbox One.

Not really, if you're only going to review one version of the game as a site you'd review the game most people will play, and that's the PS4/XB1 version.

They'll appear eventually (I did read earlier today - might have been on Reddit but I can't remember - that someone really enjoyed the Switch version given the gameplay and the fact that it's portable).
Just thought that as its on new platform for first time theyd have a few reviews out.

Got the full game. 98% like the demo. Slightly more polished. Most definitely not slower. Enjoying the presentation. It's not too difficult. Already comfortable on Legendary after playing PES for 2 weeks.

Ps.
The way the game starts is great. A cinematic of Real va Atletico, then it drops you in the game of the cinematic. Presentation is top notch.

Back
Top Bottom